SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aghalub

Any advice: "Triple Glazing" or "Soundproofing Windows"

Aghalub
9 years ago

I am looking for any advice on deciding what type of window is right for my situation.

My situation: I live quite far from a major road. However, my house is on top of a small hill and so the road noise is quite noticeable around my house. This is an old bungalow. The exterior is stucco. Current windows are double pane and were replaced in 2010. Problem is with the bedroom. It has three windows and a sliding door. The windows are separate but are arranged like a bay window. They are facing the distant road. When the windows are closed the noise is weak. I am the only one in my family that is sensitive to it. During the morning rush hour it gets so bad that I cannot sleep past 5:30 am. Using a sound meter app on my cellphone, I measured about 35 db when windows are closed and about 65 db when opened one of them. I have triple pane windows from the same company in my living room. The living room is very quite even to my ears. However, the living room and bedroom are on different side of the house even though they both face the road.

In the first step, I want to do something about the windows as I think they are the main source of the problem.

I have a few options:

(1) Install Soundproofing Windows over the existing windows. I live in Canada and so the windows have to come from the US. Have obtained a quote from a distributor for these windows. It costs me about $5000 CAD and I have to install the windows myself (and take care of any defects, returns, etc). The obvious disadvantage is the extra set of windows that have to be opened and closed. Not sure how they look when installed.

(2) Replace the windows with triple pane windows, have one pane as laminated glass. A local company can do this. They have a good reputation for high quality windows. This will cost me $10,000 CAD. The obvious disadvantage is the cost, and I am not sure about the end result. The company does not have any STC rating for their windows.

(3) Change the sealed units of my existing windows to replace one pane with laminated glass. Someone is willing to do this for $3,000 CAD. The obvious disadvantage is that they have to reduce the spacing between the panes to accommodate ticker laminated glass (existing space is 1/2", with laminated glass it will be 1/4"). So, the end result is not clear in this case either as I read that the air space between the glass panes is very important.

I am wondering what people think about my options. These are relatively costly options for me.

Thanks.

Comments (8)