SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picchudog

Building with stock floor plans i.e. eplans.com

picchudog
14 years ago

Hi there,

We're in the exploratory phase of designing and building a house. We've identified a vacant lot and are now in initial discussions with some small semi-custom builders.

A couple of them have suggested that we go to them with drawings and plans and having them bid on the project.

So after doing some searches on-line, I came across a couple of sites that offered stock floor plans for purchase. Before committing a couple of thousand dollars for these plans, thought I would come here to find out everyone's thoughts on using them.

So a few questions:

1) Any comments on the quality of the plans and drawings in terms of being able to use them for permits and construction?

2) Any idea on how much it would cost to have them do some changes to one of their stock plans?

3) There seemed to be quite a few of these sites available - any recommendations on one over the other?

4) In terms of options, there seemed to be an option for CAD (which generally costs around $2000) and one in PDF format (generally around $1000). According to the sites, both formats are suitable for modifications. Would CAD be the way to go, assuming that we might need some minor changes made i.e. permits.

Anything else I haven't asked?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus