SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_449374030

Wood trim—what to stain, what to paint?

Norah S.
14 days ago

My husband and I are looking to update a 2004 home before moving in. The doors, windows, window trim, doorway trim, baseboards, chair rail, stairs, ceiling trim, built-ins, crown molding, etc. are all stained wood. My husband and I both prefer a transitional style. Our initial plan was to paint over all the trim, but I don’t think that would do the home justice. Ultimately, we’d like to refresh the home while respecting elements of its original design. Any trim we do keep will be stained (a darker, more neutral walnutty color) along with the floors and stairs (thinking of painting the balusters, risers, and string a milky white for some contrast). The walls will also be re-painted (color TBD, likely neutrals/whites).

Would love to read thoughts on which trim should be painted over and what should be stained.

Thank you!

Our current idea is to stain the areas with more decorative wood (the front door, living room, dining room entryways and the ceiling trim) and to paint the window trim, chair rail, baseboards, and any narrower doorways and doors (powder room, bathroom, basement, bedrooms). For the built-ins, I’m quite tempted to paint them something in the

white/neutral family to brighten them up.

NB: The furnishings belong to the previous owners.

The first photos are from the original listing and the latter few are cell phone photos taken in natural lighting.

^ inspo photo (mix of stained and painted trim)

Comments (13)

• tracefloyd
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Beautiful home and I like your idea of painted and unpainted wood trim.

I have some thoughts to start off with...

Unpainted window trim is actually trending now in upscale design and I like that look as currently shown in your pics.

I would paint the ceiling trim and crown molding throughout.

You could consider also painting the brick FP.

The foyer...hmmm.

• Norah S.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I’ve thought about limewashing the fireplace! might see what it looks like after we paint the built ins. In natural lighting, the brick pulls a little purple/pink and it really clashes with the warm undertones of the wood right now.

• Related Discussions

what does paint grade wood look like stained?

Q

Comments (10)
    Paint grade trim is made from short pieces of wood joined together with finger joints---that zig zaggy look. :) The sections used often have very different grain patterns---which take stain much differently---making the result look like a hit and miss stain job---light sections between darker sections---and the finger joints stand out like they are spotlighted.
    ...See More

Custom built vanities: What wood? Paint or stain? What colors?

Q

Comments (34)
    Sarahbr, although I like your tile very much, for my master bath I'm looking for a darker almost black color. The more flooring stores I go to I'm learning bigger is what's in even in herringbone pattern, therefore I'm only finding 6x24 as the smallest porcelain floor tile. I may cave and just do that. I went to two more flooring stores today and they both have installed 6x24 herringbone in mid sized and small bathrooms. I saw Chip and Joanne just do a bathroom in herringbone pattern and the tiles look larger. Lol love their show!
    ...See More

Modern door but stained wood trim. What color should the doors be?

Q

Comments (3)
    No don't do any "pop" on the front door either inside or out.
    ...See More

Wood Trim - what to paint and what not to paint.

Q

Comments (8)
    It's your house. Paint as much as you like. This is rare for me but I do not mind the wood around the windows. I might keep it because it goes well with the colors I like. However, you are not me and it is fine to paint it all. Have you considered changing the railing and balustrade? From what I can see I would call the architecture modern. I would not add crown molding. If you paint the fireplace don't use the brightest white. It would be blinding with all those windows.
    ...See More
  • dani_m08
    14 days ago

First, congrats on your new home!

I was surprised that the home was built in 2004 based upon the amount of stained trim/woodwork. Also, the small baseboards make the home appear older. The home I built in 1996 has taller baseboards - really makes a difference compared to my sister’s home that was built around 1983-84.

Mixing painted and stained looks nice - I actually mixed when I built in 1996 (builder thought it was odd - but designer didn’t - and I’ve seen many people do it on Houzz over the past few years). My ”mixing” = either stained or painted for an entire room though. I also put in a one level counter height island - instead of having part of it be bar height (which was very unusual back then). I’m sure that my builder thought my ideas were a bit odd 😂

Are you considering replacing any carpeted areas with wood floors sometime soon? If yes, I would take that into consideration when deciding what to do with trim/built-ins.

I prefer a mixed stained/painted staircase vs. one composed of entirely stained wood elements (as yours currently is). I think your ideas re: how to handle the staircase will look good.

I think your brick FP looks nice (the bricks appear to be a nice mix of colors) - and would look even better if it was surrounded with painted elements (instead of all stained as it is currently).

My understanding is that refinishing wood is a fairly big process - requiring a lot of prep work (when correctly done)- unless you are planning on using gel stain (I wouldn’t - while I know some people have used it for updating a staircase railing - your house appears to have a lot of nice woodwork).

I think that mixing painted and stained needs to be well thought out (unless you are planning on having all wood trim painted in a room).

I think that finding a designer to put a plan together for you would be worth the money spent - it’s not inexpensive to professionally refinish + paint trim/built-ins. Even if you are doing the painting yourself, once you’ve painted the wood, it’s much more difficult to go back to stained if you decide that you’ve made a mistake.

I hope that this post doesn’t come across as negative - it’s not meant to be. Obviously, I like mixing painted and stained wood since I did it many years ago. Plus, my new kitchen will be a mix of stained and painted cabinetry. You just have a nice house - and it would make me very nervous to mix the two without professional input.

Maybe you’ll receive some very specific advice from some pros on this thread re: what exactly to paint vs. keep stained. I think that it’s more likely that you will receive more generalized thoughts - and some conflicting advice.

Enjoy your new home!!

• Kate
    14 days ago

I think in the past trim like that was stained darker to look more modern yet still calssic. I have that crazy thought that if there was a way to sand out orange and lighten it into some very light - pottery barn style wood, keeping all the wood unpainted, that would be sth unique. But it's probably sth for enthusiasts only - a lot of work and tweaking.

I wouldn't paint a thing tbh.

• Lyn Nielson
    14 days ago

if it were mine, I would definitely paint the crown, the built in shelving and the fireplace builtins (not the brick), not white, but painted, for sure.

• tracefloyd
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Thinking outside the box for concepts....

Other than the foyer, paint out all the wood everywhere except the window trims leave wood.

For the foyer paint the stairs, except for the treads leave wood. But rest of the foyer will stay the same as is.

Then decide if the fireplace brick treatment, and the wood stain colors.

• cat_ky
    14 days ago

You bought a beautiful house with high quality wood trim, not the run of the mill wood trim, that I usually see. I wouldnt paint any of it. Its gorgeous. In any case, dont rush out and paint it all right away, live with it a while, and see how you feel about it. You can always paint it, but, its a huge job to get it back to stained, if you decide you made a mistake. As to darkening the stain, thats not an easy job either. It requires all the finish varnish or poly being sanded down, and that will remove some stain, so when you stain darker, it will be blotchy. You cannot just go and stain on top of what is there. Stain, needs to penetrate the wood, and not just sit on top of the wood.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

To me very little precious stuff in most recents builds and this is no exception IMO you wait to do anything before move in except maybe new flooring if that will be a plan. I aslo am not a huge lover of whate walls and creammy ones even less . Are you planning on a redo for the kitchen too? I know everyone wants to put their stamp on a new place but very often done too quiclky is the wrong choice .If staing a darker color is the plan then that IMO needs to done first since snading and stining wood is a messy job and best done before white paint on anything.

• chispa
    14 days ago

I wouldn't hesitate to paint all that trim white.

• Kendrah
    14 days ago

I'd paint your trim and build-ins. There is nothing special about it to my eyes. Staining will be a really big job. I don't think it is worth it.

• Kate
    13 days ago

speaking of worth - stain grade wood is normally more expensive than paint grade .

But this one is a questionable motive not to paint wood, I understand.

Ten years ago I would have said without doubt - paint everything. But after watching countless atrocities done to wood furniture with paint and best intentions, and also being guilty of some of them I so changed my mind .. but again, it's a personal thing. Next owners , if they want, can sand all the paint and wow at what they will find. Or not.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    13 days ago

I’m a white trim guy but this house has some nice wood. I’d still paint most… I would start by replacing all the baseboards with something taller- they look out of proportion to the casing and ceiling height. All the crown id paint white (that crown around the tray in the main bedroom looks so heavy) as well as all the trim and casing. Fireplace, staircase, and built ins could stay wood. I presume all the carpet is coming out and you are extending hardwoods?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    13 days ago

2004 didn't use any type of wood remotely akin to the stuff used 100 years ago. It's cheap Red Oak wood. I'd paint every part of it and update that staircase as well.

If you like colonial style imitation-look, leave it.

Otherwise, replace the newel posts and ballusters.

I'd go for something like this

or even this. this looks much more traditional and not 2004 colonial

If you want to leave whats there, I'd still paint. you could go for a darker gel stain on the rail

if you like a heavier look, replace the ballusters w/iron, heavier newel posts and stain everything a Java color

paint all the window/door trim . I'd replace that skinny baseboard altogether. there is NOTHING positive about it. you need plain 5" white baseboard.

see how much better it looks painted?

So this screams 2000. the fan is too small for the size of the room. if you want actual cooling, you'll need 60" blades.

again, higher baseboard, white, and something besides granny's bedframe.

If you want to keep the wood in here, and there is tons of it, I'd still paint the built-ins, new hardware, paint the tray ceiling trim and do some diff colors on that

Again, this fan is horrible with faux oak short blades. find something from this decade if you want a fan.

some diff ideas if you did want to redo the fireplace. limewash or paint it white or black, ditto bookcases

Mortarwashing the brick is another idea

German Schmear. looks like this. I'd do a soft black on the builtins, paint everythig else creamy white

Baseboards. 5", white.

will make a big diff in overall look. don't know if you're keeping the carpet. if you do plan on changing any of the flooring, rip out the old baseboard, put in new flooring and then install the newer 5" boards. Don't do it before new flooring. and if you keep what's there now, the floorers will install shoe molding next to the old baseboard to hide the gap. That will look worse.

red oak floors w/perfect baseboards.