SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_449374030

Wood trim—what to stain, what to paint?

Norah S.
14 days ago

My husband and I are looking to update a 2004 home before moving in. The doors, windows, window trim, doorway trim, baseboards, chair rail, stairs, ceiling trim, built-ins, crown molding, etc. are all stained wood. My husband and I both prefer a transitional style. Our initial plan was to paint over all the trim, but I don’t think that would do the home justice. Ultimately, we’d like to refresh the home while respecting elements of its original design. Any trim we do keep will be stained (a darker, more neutral walnutty color) along with the floors and stairs (thinking of painting the balusters, risers, and string a milky white for some contrast). The walls will also be re-painted (color TBD, likely neutrals/whites).

Would love to read thoughts on which trim should be painted over and what should be stained.

Thank you!

Our current idea is to stain the areas with more decorative wood (the front door, living room, dining room entryways and the ceiling trim) and to paint the window trim, chair rail, baseboards, and any narrower doorways and doors (powder room, bathroom, basement, bedrooms). For the built-ins, I’m quite tempted to paint them something in the

white/neutral family to brighten them up.

NB: The furnishings belong to the previous owners.

The first photos are from the original listing and the latter few are cell phone photos taken in natural lighting.

^ inspo photo (mix of stained and painted trim)

Comments (13)