SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darragh_worledge

Anyone know what this type of salvia is?

Darragh Worledge
19 days ago
last modified: 19 days ago

I know it is a blue salvia, likely an 'annual' type. Certainly marketed as such. What I'm hoping to find out is the height, width, hardiness and if possible the type of salvia variety.

No discernable scent to the leaf that I can detect. Thanks for information. Grown by Burnaby Lake Greenhouses.

Comments (18)

• rosaprimula
    19 days ago

Probably s,farinacea but as I don't grow this one, I couldn't swear to it.

Darragh Worledge thanked rosaprimula
  • Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

The foliage doesn’t match my s.farinacea, but reminds me of Big Blue Salvia that i’ve previously grown. it is s cross of cross of Salvia longispicata x Salvia farinacea.

it grows to about 4ft and is quite bushy. I can’t recall if it wasn’t winter hardy or if I pulled it out in the fall because I thoughtbit was annual.

Darragh Worledge thanked Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
  • Darragh Worledge
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Markay I wondered about Big Blue Salvia, the picture of it stood out for me. It will be interesting to see how the plants do. My south/east side garden is hot, dry and protected so you never know even if I am in Z8. You are probably on the right track too rosaprimula with noting similarities to s. farinacea, Big Blue being a hybrid. This bed is going to look beautiful. I have three roses growing there along with a white gaura which does well.

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    19 days ago

There are several Salvia longispicata x Salvia farinacea crosses on the market now. Big Blue is the one I’ve grown. Mystic Spires is another popular one. whichever it is, it sure is pretty!!

• Darragh Worledge
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I think so too! Will put all five of the plants in my south/west beds against the house. Protected, dry and sunny there. Hopefully they will survive the winter.

• rosaprimula
    18 days ago

Yep, for some reason, I have never grown Big Blue or many of those hybrids. Really dunno why not. I love gaura. If you come across oenothera sinuosa, it makes a lovely companion in a rose bed(especially larger hybrid musk types).

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    18 days ago

I think it is "Mystic Spires".

Darragh Worledge thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • rosaprimula
    18 days ago

Quite likely, given the miserable reviews of some of these hybrids (which also solves my confusion regarding why I have never bothered with seed raised Big Blue- clearly read your scathing reports, Mkx3). Will see if MS is available in my area as it will likely prove perennial.

• Darragh Worledge
    Original Author
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

I am so pleased to find my blue salvia plants are likely 'Mystic Spires'. They will be perfect in the south/west facing beds beside my house. Rosaprimula, I checked out your suggestion of Oenothera sinuosa as a companion plant and am pretty sure that variety under the name of Gaura is seen in my area for sale. I'll look for it. As to your suggestion of Hybrid Musk roses as a good companion plant to O. sinuosa, I agree. Refreshing my memory regarding the Hybrid Musk roses, comments about them growing best when left to form their natural shape really appeals to me. That is exactly the type of garden I strive for. Right now there are three roses in the first bed, a red Explorer of unknown variety, 'Eden' climber which replaces my former 'Eden' that had to be removed, and 'At Last' rose which isn't doing well so I'm looking to replace it. The heat of this bed is a problem for many roses as it shrivels up their flowers just as they start to open. Very disappointing. Some roses seem to not be bothered, such as 'Eden'. In fact, 'Eden' remains evergreen all winter in this garden site. So we have 'Eden', the red Explorer, white common Gaura and now blue salvia as the main players in this planting. There is also some low growing white pholx. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

This is a very old photo of my former 'Eden' rose in the garden bed under discussion. Heartbreakingly, this rose developed rose scale and had to be removed. The new 'Eden' is a baby and hasn't started climbing much yet. Still one can hope. Oh, and I put Red Drift roses in two squatty pots on the landing to the left. They seem to be doing well in the pots.

• rosaprimula
    17 days ago

Ah, I like tall airy plants and have long been in the service of the apiaceae. So, maybe consider some of the umbellifers with roses (also look very good in naturalistic gardens - cenolophium denudata, selinum wallichianum, zizia aurea, chaerophyllum roseum, pimpinella....O the list is endless...and similarly pale and interesting companions are the sanguisorbas, scabious ochraleuca and various patrinias (growing p.monandra this year. And eryngiums of course...or the lovely astrantia.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    17 days ago

It also looks like my Mystic Blue Salvia

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Leaves don't look like S farinacea (too round), but they do look like longispicata x farinacea. Good chance it is 'Mystic Spires'.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    17 days ago

I meant to say Mystic Spires Salvia😼 the name escaped me.

Darragh Worledge thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    16 days ago

So I looked at their website and it looks like they have only one type of blue salvia which they call 'Blue'...

https://www.burlake.com/product-page/4-salvia-blue

Darragh Worledge thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Darragh Worledge
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Carolb_w_fl_coastal thank you for taking time to check the Burnaby Lake website regarding their blue salvia plants. It's interesting that not even the grower has clarity on what they are growing! The plant pot tags reflect the information on their website, namely calling the plants 'blue salvia' which is descriptive but not informative as to species. Fortunately several experts here and on another plant website have narrowed the variety of salvia down to either Sarvia longispicata x farinacea likely 'Mystic Spires Blue', or plain Salvia farinacea, the Mealycup Sage. Both types of salvia are perennials, the first hardy to zone 7 and the second hardy to zone 8. I am in zone 8, so things look good from a hardiness standpoint. Size is likely around 2' high and wide. This is the kind of information I was looking for, that requires an actual variety identification to know. Many thanks to everyone who has helped. My five salvia plants are now in the ground in a very protected south/west bed with house overhang. I am adding some red geraniums to further enhance this planting.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 days ago

Close up of Salvia farinacea leaves so you can differentiate.

https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/mealycup-sage-salvia-farinacea/

• Darragh Worledge
    Original Author
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Rob333 a great link! After checking closely the leaves of Mealycup sage, Salvia farinacea, I can definitely say my plants are the other choice 'Mystic Spires Blue', Salvia longispcata x farinacea which is shown in a picture further down the article. As well, the cross is listed in the grouping of connected varieties also shown in the article. The straight Mealycup sage has more elongated leaves of a somewhat different colour than what I have (view picture above). Mystic Spires Blue is an exact match with somewhat more rounded leaves of a clearer green hue. So with this article the mystery is solved! Everyone who identified my plants as Mystic Spires Blue, S. longispcata x farinacea are correct. Thank you, for great sleuthing. Mystic Spires Blue is slightly more hardy than straight Mealycup sage, so that is even better.