SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monaud

Front Entry Dilemma

monaud
9 years ago
In the 27 years I have lived in this rural home, I have not found the right ideas to make this entry welcoming. Many things have been tried, but nothing has stuck. This entry is not visible from the country road, but we and our guests do see it. We live in northern Illinois about an hour from the Iowa border. Can anyone offer suggestions? I'm truly stumped!

Comments (35)

• Denita
    9 years ago
    Can you post additional photos showing the entire house front?
  • User
    9 years ago
    The stone walkway abutting the cement sidewalk breaks up the space and is not attractive. You need a hard-scape design. Some professional on this site will undoubtedly provide photo ideas. Also I am wondering if there is an architectural element that could be added above your door. It now looks rather dwarfed. Your siding (cedar, I presume) is to die for! Grand house. I look forward to all the suggestions you will be receiving.
  • Related Discussions

Oversized 2 Car Side Entry or 3 Car Front Entry??

Q

Comments (11)
    There is significant disappointment on our end as well as the builder that this was missed by the architect along the way. In fairness to the architect, the builder allowed us to work with the architect to develop the plans we love prior to any $ commitment from us but he did not want to pay for the survey until we were invested. So, here we are. We are disappointed because the length of the home has been established for several months and the width of the property has as well. The survey and site plan were just officially performed but the inputs are the same and have been known...so we are disappointed but still love the floorplan, location, etc. and want to make the best runner up choice we can :)
    ...See More

Odd backdoor entry used as front entry.

Q

Comments (5)
    Have you tried cornering the two chairs (L-shape)? One on the window side, one on the laundry wall? Give them some space in between. Add some drama in corner like a full plant on an eye catching pedestal. Also need some color, consider interesting picture above the chair on laundry wall. If you have any children's artwork have it custom framed and show it off proudly.
    ...See More

Front door color for double front entry full view storm doors with bla

Q

Comments (9)
    People have storm doors because, they open doors and pull down the screen for air. A storm door has a security lock on it, for safety. Phantom screens are wrecked by children and pets go right through them and can escape your property and end lost or worse. I personally, would never ever be without storm doors on my house. I have very nice wood doors, and they are original to the house and still in excellent condition because they were protected with storm doors.
    ...See More

Help! Front entrance room design dilemma

Q

Comments (7)
    Your first photo is typical of how one must arrange a narrow room. A chair could be placed on either side of the fireplace, but the center of the room needs to stay open. Put an etegere in the corner where the chair is sitting. If you want to use this room for dining, put ONLY a dining table and chairs here. Your second photo shows that a dining table with a sofa makes for a cramped space that is no longer easy to walk through. How wide is this room from window wall to fireplace wall—10, maybe 11 ft? Sofas and chairs are around 3 feet deep. Their width starts around 25 inches, but arms can add 6 to 12 inches extra to the 20 inch average cushion size. Always take a tape measure with you when furniture shopping to make sure the piece will fit where you want it. Your description makes me think this room is seldom used. Perhaps 2 chairs facing each other in front of the fireplace with a small coffee table or ottoman between them. Place a chaise in front of the window. This might cause the path to meander just enough to avoid a bowling alley feel. For more possibilities, draw a floor plan where 1 ft equals 1 inch on paper, and place doors, windows and fireplace as accurately as possible. On a separate sheet of paper draw the outlines of furniture you want to place in this room. Label each piece and cut them out. Set them on the floor plan and move them around until you are happy with the placement. HERE is a site that offers a printable room grid and furniture pieces.
    ...See More
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    The entry has strong architectural lines. I suggest three very large pots of annual flowers. Try resetting the railroad ties for a neater appearance. Try a red door or some other bright color. Add a bright coir doormat, replace it with a rubber one in the winter. You can use the online Sherwin Williams paint visualizer if you upload a photo.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    9 years ago
    Easiest would be to add landscaping... Paint the garage door a color that is lighter and similar to the house body shingles. But, I would suggest adding a pergola the entire length from the front door corner to the end of the house. I would have it come out to the place/corner where the driveway meets the sidewalk (left side) to the door. The height should be about where the gutter angles to the garage. Stain it your trim color. Instead of the flagstones, use pavers the fill the surface. I would choose a dark red for the front door, and several very large pots under the pergola in the same dark red with large plants in them. You could also add a fancy wooden bench with back & arms, again in the same red..something like this one http://www.grandinroad.com/lutyens-wooden-outdoor-bench/outdoor-living/benches/26224 click the red color choice.

Change out your light fixtures to be very large black lantern types...put one on the far side of the window as well, and of course on the garage..
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    The old tools hanging on the wall make me smile. I have some leftovers from Grandma, may do something similar. As a divider between the front patio area and the bark side walkway:
    1. planter boxes. Lowes and Home Depot have brick red plastic trough shaped ones that could be set on top of cement blocks for quick and low cost. 2. Next to the planters, put benches. 3. In the planters put colorful veges and annuals, something you won't have to worry about in winter, but that will be colorful and useful in the summer.
    4. On the trellis - perhaps scarlet runner bean or a jesamin.
    5. If roses survive in your area a couple of yellow floribundas (low bush, many small flowers, low maintenance) would highlight the corner bed where the tools are hanging. Floribundas only need once a year pruning and can be 2x3 or 4x5. Hybrid teas are too finicky and a lot of work. Grandifloras get too big as do the ground cover roses.
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    Think of this area as a room. You have at least four different kinds of flooring in one room! Not working. So choose a "flooring" that you like and and an accent floor (kind of like an area rug) and do the whole area and redo the area with that in mind. BTW I am considering the two shades of concrete as two different types of flooring.

Also when considering the area as a room you have places where there are no walls. In other words there should be something to delineate the end of the area at the side of the house. That could be something as simple as three different sizes of pots containing annuals. Other comments here about the door, lighting, and other accent details are excellent and should be considered.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    The issue is one of scale. The entry door appears tiny under the overhang 8' above it.

If you are up for a bit of remodeling, consider removing the overhang and dropping it down so it acts as a shelter for the door. Add a post and a brighter door. You might replace the door with a door and single sidelight, moving the door out of the corner.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    I would tear out that entry door and replace it with an oversize door with a contemporary glass look..... add color to the trim and garage door.... and get exterior lighting and more dramatic landscaping.
  • PRO
    Pacific Coastal Home Staging
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The issue is the door looks too small and is lost, the roofline is too high to tie into the door. If you want to make a simple fix, install a window above the front door. Paint the front door and garage door the same colors. Install three large lights one by the front door, one by the garage door and one my the other side of the front window. Install three large size outdoor pots, one on the right corner, close to front door and house, one near the garage, and one where the concrete form a corner at the path, or two pots and a water feature. Good luck, can't wait to see the new pictures. Oh, and remove the tools from the side of the garage. Should not be at the door that welcomes guests, unless you are welcoming them to do work.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    I see a lovely blue green on the garage door - repeat that on the storm door and entry. Height of door to overhang is indeed the challenge - is it possible to add a window above the entry door? Something square would be ideal, the width of the door, Then, the comments about the different kinds of flooring are right on - try concrete stain in a blue-green-gray mix (literally buy all three and mix them) and stain the walk only first to see how you like it. Finally, you need some flowering evergreen shrubs along the foundation line under the window - white flowers would be best. Only one type of shrub, massed along the front and a feature element in the corner by the implements - a small tree (shrub trained as tree) would work well there - possibly with contrasting bronze foliage. Neat house!!! love the shingles and lines. . . If the window is out due to ceiling lines / location, try another art element over the door - something rustic / barn like to match your other elements . . . metal and not wider than the door - columnar - above the door . . .
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Another consideration above the door, would be to hang a large outdoor chandelier, if no window is possible.
  • monaud
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow! Such a lot of wonderful ideas! There were a couple of requests for additional photos, so I've attached a couple showing roof height to front door, etc.
    Something I forgot to mention was that this front area faces north, and since our house is a passive solar windows were minimized on the north side of the house. We have scads of windows on the south side of the house.
    Also, there is a loft in the portion of the house with the cathedral ceiling and it extends over to where the full 2nd story roofline meets. That would rule out a window above the door, but a decorative element is a definite possibility!
    Keep the great ideas coming - and thanks to all who have/will take the time to share their inspirational ideas to help me out!
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Thanks for additional photos. Does the darker appearance of the shingles on the north side lighten over the summer or is it permanent? Have you considered painting just the underside of the eaves a lighter tan to match the very lightest shingles? It might reduce the dark impression.

Strongly geometric planting to replace the flagstone steps and curved bed would be a statement. Local advice on plants would be best. You might also try a concrete edging instead of railroad ties.
  • monaud
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    apple-pie-order,
    These shingles are vinyl and the fading that has occurred over the years is the result of sun exposure. The shingles are darker where the sun does not directly strike the house. They are actually panels of vinyl shingles that mimic the look of weathered shake shingles.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    Have you thought of making the entrance bigger, with a double door?

And just make the entrance pathway as wide as the double door?

J Design Group – Interior Design Firm in Miami - Contemporary - Modern Interior Decorator Studio.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Looking and thinking more about your dilemma, and not knowing your budget or limitations, another suggestion would be to build out the entrance and put a door/double door further out, without it entering straight into the room. I am suggesting building out the size of the square area there, and changing the angle of the entry from straight on to sideways or a diagonal.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    if those shingles are vinyl, they need to be power washed.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    Brighten up the door and bring the rain chain all the way down to a fabulous copper pot that will collect the water for use in the garden.

Or. . . Imagine painting the wall between the door and the garage. It's completely self-contained and could stand by itself with a dramatic color. If you do that, be careful how you treat the door. But definitely add the rain chain and copper pot!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    new exterior lights, industrial style, craftsman blend too much. black mulch. blue wood screen door. shade tolerant grasses in reds, paint the trim another color. maybe blue too. stain your concrete to look like field stone.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Along the lines of J Design Group's suggestion or Pacific Group's, is there any chance you could put a door where your 3 windows are? Obviously, I don't know their size but I guess I was wondering about a door and a sidelight in that space? That would center your entrance and make it the prominent feature on that wall. Might be worth meeting with an architect for a consultation?

I agree new landscaping, as others have noted and again, a consult might be well worth the money. I'd suggest embracing the concrete for continuity, maybe placing rectangular concrete pavers with pea gravel in front of the house where the irregular pavers are now. There are a ton of photos on houzz showing those types of patios.

Best wishes, we are playing with our facade and landscaping (or lack thereof) and I feel your pain. But how fun to have an entrance you are happy with. Good luck!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    something like this.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    I keep thinking good size rocks should be grouped to be some part of this. Everything should be "big and strong". Avoid anything feminine or "cottage-like". Like the door being larger doors and replacing the windows.
  • Nicole
    9 years ago
    I apologize for the lamness of this paint adorned photo: You can brighten up the door, put a garden in with small bushes/flowers(where the brown is) some shutters on the window with a window box of more flowers.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think the bright door and window boxes are a great idea. I'd avoid shutters because they will be out of scale, too small, I think. I think LB Interiors' plan is amazing but there are many great suggestions on this thread. I'm attaching a couple photos for you of the concrete paver idea.

Hi LB! I have posted a dilemma for my exterior. If you chance upon it, I would be grateful for your feedback.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/290-colgate-ave-modern-landscape-san-francisco-phvw-vp~21276
  • Christine W
    9 years ago
    2 simple things you can do is just paint the front door and the garage doors and add a little landscaping. You could also maybe stain the driveway concrete for an additional pop of color. The house is beautiful it justs needs a tweak here and there.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    Hi Ciscomom, found your posting. Thanks.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Could you remove the overhang above the door and make it just part of the eaves? Then add a metal roof closer to the door and maybe across the windows to create a porch or covered patio. It could a simple shed roof or a gable with rough cedar beams and posts. Rough stone columns or bases would look good if budget allows especially if they matched flagstone for the porch/patio.
    Paint front door, storm door and the garage the same bright color. You could pick the color from the metal roof options if you want a green or red. Or get a bright shade for doors and a neutral bronze metal roof to blend with shingles. A cheaper option would be a pergola to frame door and windows. Definitely add some evergreen hardy shrubs,
  • km kane
    9 years ago
    what is your budget? Are you looking for a quick fix or are you willing to do a build out? Or something in between, such as new lights, paint, pathways, landscaping. The house entry is not so well designed but could be redesigned to make it awesome!
  • Julie Barden
    9 years ago
    Just finished our front today. Filled in our pond
  • monaud
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    kmkane,
    We plan to stay in this house for less than 8 additional years, so we would not want to over-do an outside reno (the inside needs some updating). We would like to improve the curb appeal to make it more welcoming, probably through landscaping, different outside fixtures, and water features that we can do ourselves.
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 years ago
    The smaller the space the more unique it can be. The question is, how much do you use it? Do you sit out around there or do you have a patio out back. How often do you have visitors? Is it something you want to show off or do you want to make it look nice for you? After waiting 27 years I would hire a designer to help you come up with some design concepts.
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    If you can afford one expensive item, I think LB Interiors pot fountain is a good idea, although I'd probably use a shorter one. A few small plants around it would complete the corner, make it welcoming.

oops - changed my mind. Looked at your original photos again and see that you have pot fountain already. It just looks a little lonely. To minimize maintenance and add interest, look around for taller old garden tools, such as an old hand tiller or a rusty wheel barrel. Place it so it camouflages the hose for the fountain. Some small perennials, such as lavender or irises on either side of the fountain could add color without overstuffing the space.

I see you already have stone in the patio area, but the space between them is large enough to be a wild grass/weed magnet. You can do one of two things: replenish gravel and keep Round-up handy or plant with a filler, such as vinca minor or a ground cover potentilla (they have yellow flowers and look like a wild strawberry), both of which will tolerate some foot traffic and can take an occasional mowing if they get too tall.

When you put the house on the market, place a few low cost lawn chairs and a small table out there. The point is to give potential buyers an idea of how to use the space while convincing them they can do it better.
  • Kathleen Marineau
    9 years ago
    I've never been to Illinois so I looked up the climate of northern Illinois and can understand why nothing has "stuck". You need foundation plants that will tolerate a few feet of snow and regular summer rain. Roses will get mildew as will a lot of traditional shrubs. Have you tried blueberry bushes?
    The bed under the windows would be good for bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, irises and other taller varieties. None would get big enough to block the windows. Azaleas are another well mannered shrub which can winter over.
    Have you tried any of these?
    Potentilla neumanniana (AKA p. verna Nana) will grow as far north as southern Alaska. My garden book says to mow once a year at the start of spring growth. Once established, it came back from dead brown after a hot summer in Bakersfield, Calif and is growing wild in our nutrient poor shale soil at our new home in West virginia. We had 2' of snow in January, and summers here are warm and wet. You could use it between the stones or in the corner by the garage. I walk on it regularly and it doesn't care.
  • Suzanne Martin Cable
    9 years ago
    By now you've likely fixed the problem... However.

My solution would be to paint the front door (BOTH door AND SCREEN DOOR) a nice BRIGHT color YOU like in HIGH GLOSS. A BRIGHT, DEEP color! YELLOW (or BITTERSWEET ORANGE) - something that will complement your garage door color!

Above the door build a steep pitched TRIANGULAR entryway roof. The lower sides at the same level as the lowest edge of your garage's roof. It should not be the same pitch as your house roof - that would make it nearly flat.. Build it to cover ALMOST the whole walkway (large enough to actually provide cover from rain snow, etc.) but have it end at least six inches before the corner. It will need to be guttered and down-spouted - can empty into planting area. It should need only a decorative supportive bracket on the right, but It MAY need a support post at the right front corner. (Good place to hang a flag on US holidays!)

Centered under this TRIANGULAR entryway roof, install a nice BIG HANGING light fixture (one with small cover and octagonal design - thick beveled or prismatic glass - would be IDEAL.) THIS will be a beacon to your front door! ;- )

Paint all the trim (including any support post, brace and guttering/downspout) to match your existing GARAGE DOOR in color and sheen, and shingle the roof to match existing roof. This will better integrate garage door color with the house. Paint underside a warm creamy off-white in HIGH GLOSS to keep it bright (and easy to hose off.)

YOU COULD ALSO: put some nice layered (back to front) plantings in that underused planting space - tall shrubbery near the house (yews, perhaps) with local seasonal plantings in front. FILL IT! Make it LUSH.

CONSIDER: pulling the single shrub out of the square next to the garage. PAVE that space with BRICK. Add a WAITING BENCH and a planter there.

THEN CONSIDER: removing the stone pathway to add more space to the planted area. Use the stone to build a very low dry laid wall around the planted space. Then PAVE the pathway area with brick to match that in the square with the waiting bench. This new walkway will perfectly MATCH and ALIGN WITH the brick area near the garage. The BRICK on either side of the entry way will also help to FRAME the new entry visually.

I hope this isn't TOO too late! I LIKE IT! Perhaps you will, too. ;- )