SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillcdaniels

Travertine patio-fill holes or not?

jillcdaniels
10 years ago
I have a travertine patio being installed now. The installer said he usually fills all of the holes with grout so water and dirt doesn't get trapped. Anyone have this type of patio filled or unfilled? Which is better and why?

Comments (42)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Filled ! Otherwise you may get stagnant water that could either freeze and crack the tile or become a source for Algae or moss etc !
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Miami, no freezing but algae and mold yes. What about grout? I don't have to fill it all the way, right? Chiseled edge.
  • Related Discussions

Travertine -with kids - filled or unfilled

Q

Comments (14)
    Lindy, I understand about not wanting to share photos with dust everywhere. :op The wait has been well worth it. he, he Thanks for the stone source. I forgot you were on the west coast. Our new house is in N. AL. Yes, maybe "neighbor" Allison will share her source. For the price of the suppliers stores that I was in, you'd think they'd have had the chiseled travertine. Maybe they did and didn't realize I'd be interested in it. There was so much to choose from, I think my eyes were glazed over before I even got there. Anyway, I'm glad you shared, because I definitely love that worn-edge look. It's perfect for our "worn" feel we are striving to achieve in the new house. Yah! Feel free to share photos when you get it all "prettied up". I can't wait to see more photos of your house!
    ...See More

Travertine for kitchen: honed & filled, tumbled...?

Q

Comments (6)
    LOVE my honed and filled and sealed floors. I don't really have any scratches or etch marks but lots of dirt from shoes and drops. It sort of blends in but I do have to wash them occasionally. JUSt make sure you have the correct subfloor support for the floors or they will crack. THAT is very important esp in a redo. I will say that I could imagine the holes to get very dark compared to the lighter travertine if you went without honed. Not very pretty after a while as you could not get the dirt out and each wash would make it darker.
    ...See More

Anyone have travertine w/ grout filled holes and color enhancer?

Q

Comments (3)
    We used what Lowes/HD called tumbled marble but its surface is similar to tavertine and after grouting we used an enhancing sealer. It darkened the stone and left the grout color alone. I would recommend you try on a sample first because I was concerned also, didn't have any extra tiles and took a chance and liked the outcome. Some enhancers and grout colors could yield different results.
    ...See More

Travertine Paver Holes

Q

Comments (5)
    My folks are from Indiana but I live now in San Diego. Your decking is gorgeous! The natural look is very rustic as it exists right now. I would ask decking pros in Indiana what they would recommend, since this product is from Florida and who knows what an Indiana winter will do to it. Indiana has limestone. Found this interesting article which compares the 2 substances: http://www.travertinemart.com/travertine-tiles/what-is-the-difference-between-travertine-tiles-and-limestone
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Ahhh ! No freeze then ! Lol !!!
    ...I would go with the installers advice on the grout, as he sounds like he knows what he's on about ! It is looking lovely by the way !!!
  • PRO
    Vandenberg Landscape Design LTD
    10 years ago
    It looks as though most of the patio is covered so it should not accumulate a lot of debris, also from the picture sent it does not appear as though the grout will penetrate between the stones but it will just fill the chiseled edge. If the grout is not in between the stones it will chip and flake over time. I would say no grout unless the lines are greater than 1/8".
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So your saying no grout in between and no grout in the holes? Most of the patio is covered, but the part that isn't will be yucky. I don't want to fill half and not fill the other half. My tile guy suggests filling the big holes and maybe even the small ones.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    when you grout it, the grout will fill the holes along with the space between the tiles.
    it won't fill in the chisled edge.

listen to your installer, he sounds like he knows what he's doing.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    We're in the process of tiling so we've been researching this. If the tile is porous, it needs to be sealed first, and then grouted or the grout will get in the pores, and you'll never get it out. I don't know if Travertine tile is porous, but I'd look into it so your tile isn't ruined by grout. I can tell you firsthand that grout is very difficult to get off tiles--that's what I'll be doing as soon as I get off here is cleaning the residual grout off the tiles from where we grouted yesterday.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would agree with Hayley, either way seal your patio as soon as possible. Then talk with your installer and see how they plan to go about grouting it. Has your patio been set on a sand base or mortared to concrete.
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's on mortar and concrete. He said he mixes sealer in with the grout. Then grouts. Then sprays sealer on the whole thing.
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sand on concrete sounded like a bad idea. 3 people wanted to do it that way. I had 5 quotes.
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ended up not grouting the holes. The installer said it doesn't look as nice when you fill. It ruins the natural look of the stone. Hope it was the right decision. They will seal it and hopefully that will help!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think you made the right call
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here it is grouted. New columns come Monday and pool diamondbrite Thursday!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Looks great
  • jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    New columns!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Follow what pro says.
  • snorrell
    8 years ago
    We have massive amounts of travertine both inside and outside my house. The travertine inside is filled and polished. The outside is left natural, but the joints are grouted. Love the natural look outside and the polished look inside. It is 6 years old and no mold or mildew in the stones.
  • PRO
    Lustro Italiano
    6 years ago

Looks good!

• Trey Allen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@jillcdaniels

I am in the middle of building a pool and just had my deck installed. But I bought a lower quality travertine than I was expecting and HATE it.. It has a LOT of holes in it. Large ones and small ones. Nearly 85% of every paver has significant large holes in it.

I have 3 questions for you please:

1) Did you fill the HOLES in your travertine with grout, or did you just use grout for the lines?

2) Did you use travertine pavers (1.25" thick), or travertine tiles for your deck?

3) Are you still happy that you used grout instead of sand?

• jillcdaniels
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi! I used travertine tiles and I think most of the holes are filled in. There are some holes but they don’t bother me. I like the grout install, with sand-it grows weeds and there is always sand escaping. I only grouted the lines.

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    3 years ago

Trey Allen - I have travertine pavers on my patio. It is a commercial grade with lots of holes. I own a company that does stone restoration so I am a bit of a purist when it comes to stone, I love it's natural.

When installed they filled in the holes and between the tiles with a polymeric sand. Polymeric sand might be something you want to consider as it does not allow the germination of seeds as much as regular sand. The problem with any sand is cleaning the stone as it will be removed with most (not all) cleaning techniques. I clean mine every few years and have removed all the polymeric sand and really like it natural......personal preference that we receive lots of compliments on.

As for as sealing patios I see little value in sealing exterior patios. We see more problems with improper sealing and are frequently asked by our clients to remove the sealer do to it being so slick. Water/humidity beading o the surface will make it slick. Not something you want around a pool. In my opinion, sealers better suited for interior applications.

• Renee Elton
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Beyond Clean Tile

I also love my naturally holey travertine deck, installed last summer (2020). As I understand your post, you removed the sand when you cleaned and did not replace it. My question for you is, do you have any trouble with freezing and damaged travertine with the polymeric sand removed. I loved the way the stone looked before they added the polymeric sand. It’s still beautiful, but with every rain some of it comes loose and it seems like we will be redoing this quite often; very rainy climate here in Virginia. Even with the poly, we had a few damaged tiles after the snow and freezing this winter, especially where the area was shaded and did not melt quick.

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    3 years ago

Renee, You are correct, we removed the polymeric sand when we cleaned. Unlike paver stones which have more space for sand to fill between pavers, travertine pavers we have were installed very close with little room for the sand. The sand did fill the holes and pits but living in Texas, allowed mildew and growth in the holes just like it would if soil eventually filled the holes. We do not have freezing problems here like Virginia, so I'm not familiar with the freezing problem you mention. Also, our patio is about 5 years old and I have not needed to either replace a tile or relevel a tile. I think that would have as much to do with method of instillation as anything else.

• Jacqueline Carrero Daunno
    2 years ago

We have a travertine deck around our pool and it had so many holes in it. I hated it so the installer grouted the joints and filled in holes with grout. It looked great in the beginning but now (2 years later) the grout is cracking and falling out! How do you keep the grout from cracking outside? Thanks.

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

I hate my travertine deck too 😩 there’s holes, mold, weeds and moss growing in between the joints. We put so much money into the deck and now I’m left with a product I didn’t know would turn out like this less than 1 year after install. I’ve poured so much blood sweat and tears trying to repair it myself the last 5 years and have called around to find a company to repair it but I’m beginning to think this is how travertine pavers are…if anyone in the Dallas area can help, please reach out! Thanks!

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Jacqueline is yours laid on top of concrete or sand?

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Beyond clean- do you happen to be in the Dallas area?

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    2 years ago

mozaic8211, sorry I can't help as we are north Houston area. Try this, remove the weeds, find a dry day and apply this product: D2 Stone Cleaner . We have good results cleaning with this product. It is a long term biocide as it minimizes the mildew and growth from living off the minerals in the stone. Apply annually or as needed.

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

The pavers were laid on top of sand. Is that okay? What the installers did was 1. Demo the existing concrete pool deck 2. Laid maybe a thin (1 inch layer on gravel like rock, not even around the entire area) 3. Poured sand 4. Laid the pavers 5. Filled the joints with polymeric sand. I was told that he should have poured concrete, sand, lay pavers then grout or fill joints with poly sand. Should I invest in having it all taken out and laying them with concrete? (~$15k)?

2 years ago

Mine is laid on sand

2 years ago

Moziac I have the same question. It's so frustrating after paying so much for it!

• Penny Koepsel
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Our travertine deck was done two years ago. They laid it over sand, put polymeric sand in between the tiles, and to fill the holes and their errors in cutting or sizing. I absolutely hate it. There are so many holes, gaps, the mold and mildew from the humidity in Houston makes it look ugly, and it is slippery. I complained and the people who installed it said it was normal wear and tear, that they would repair it, but I would have to pay. I am like Jacqueline, and am so frustrated and disappointed. We flooded from Harvey and had water in our yard and downstairs for almost 2 weeks. We had to replace everything. I should have gone with stamped concrete and wish I could replace this terrible deck. Buyer beware!!!

• Penny Koepsel
    2 years ago

I clean it on a regular basis. Buyer beware. There are unscrupulous companies that install things like this and imply it is normal and they will repair for a price,

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Mine look like this too except I have pavers popping up and a hole that leads into the pool from the deck and sand goes into the pool 😩

• Penny Koepsel
    2 years ago

Who did you use to do your deck. You don’t have to include their entire name, just indicate if perhaps, it begins with an “A.”

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Penny mine was a company called southwest landscaping by a guy named Brandon ( I found in D Magazine as top companies) but little did I know they are just paid ads. I think they don’t operate anymore bc I couldn’t find their webpage anymore.

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Penny what was the name of your company?

• Trey Allen
    2 years ago

Hello Penny and Mosaic and jacqueline...

I'm a homeowner but very handy and just finished building my own pool. I live in Florida, so also have horrible humidity with algae as a real thing to deal with. I decided to go with travertine deck but regretted the decision only a couple days after the pavers were installed. I too hate the holes and didn't realize before then, how much of an algae trap they would be encouraging mildew and mold and growth. so I decided to fill them. I did this already just to half of my patio cuz I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but so far it's been great and I'm planning to do the other half this weekend.

Here's what I've done so far:

From Lowe's I bought high quality UNsanded grout. I tested out sanded grout as well but definitely like unsanded best. I have Ivory travertine so I used the Mapei Keracolor U, in the Linen shade. It matches absolutely perfectly. I tried about six different shades and this is by far the best for ivory travertine. Note, if you have a different color travertine, always use a lighter grout not a darker grout or even the same color as your travertine..

I mixed that with MAPEI Grout MAXimizer instead of water so there are some natural sealant properties to the grout.

Note that unsanded grout will produce a much finer-looking texture that will blend in significantly better with the travertine, then sanded grout will. At the same time though unsanded grout isn't as durable as sanded grouts and over time will chip out from the lines where the pavers meet due to micro shifts. I haven't had any problems with grout coming out of the field holes though.

Generally speaking I added more liquid to the mix then the directions called for so I had more of a liquid slurry than a paste, and I literally covered the entire deck filling in every little tiny hole and big hole, using a squeegee. This allowed a perfectly level application and filled everything perfectly. It is extremely tedious and time consuming but works great. After it's dried about 30 minutes to come back with a towel or rag and have to buff off the residue from the grout. And then it needs one more final buff another 30 minutes or 45 minutes later. Also note that while it covers perfectly level at first, when the grout dries it does shrink a little bit so what was once a leveled paver ends up with small divots when dry. However those divots are far better than the massive holes that were there in the past. And I would assume if you wanted to you could do a second coat of grout to make it really flat and level.

Then the next day I hosed it off and buffed it again to make sure there was no dust left, and then the following day I sealed the grout with a product called Deco 20.

then the next day I hosed it off and buffed it again to make sure there was no dust left, and then the following day I sealed the grout with a product called Deco 20. en the next day I hosed it off and buffed it again to make sure there was no dust left, and then the following day I sealed the grout with a product called Deco 20.

The travertine is slightly more slippery than it was before, but it looks infinitely better and the sealant should prevent mold from growing, or certainly from growing badly.

In the 2.5 months that have had the deck now, there is zero mold on the section that I grouted and sealed. And there's a lot of mold on certain pavers that haven't been sealed yet.

In the 4 months that have had the deck now, there is zero mold on the section that I grouted and sealed. And there's a lot of mold on certain pavers that haven't been sealed yet.that have had the deck now, there is zero mold on the section that I grouted and sealed. And there's a lot of mold on certain pavers that haven't been sealed yet.

I plan on pressure washing all of that this weekend and grouting the rest of the deck.

Here's a link to a video I did while filling the travertine. I need to get some after pictures but don't have any handy. Someone reminds me later I'll take a picture of the deck and post it out.

https://youtu.be/hwxW97S4Hro

2 years ago

Thanks so much for the information Trey. We also had the installer grout the large holes and the joints by the edge of the pool but now, a year later, there has been some settling and shifting and the grout is literally cracking and coming off. 😟 I don't know if we should have it regrouted or just go the sand route. So frustrated.

• mozaic8211
    2 years ago

Thanks Trey! Will try this!

• PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    last year

Penny Koepsel: Old post I know. All hard surfaces need maintenance, just finding the right process for your hardscape is the key. See my post above, use D2 as it will kill the mildew and if used every every so often it will continue to keep your patio clean. https://www.bonstone.com/shop/hardscapes/hd-cleaning/d2/ . Apply product, let it sit, scrub with deck brush, rinse well then we reapply a light coat. Basically follow directions. Feel free to call me if you like or contact Bonestone as they are helpful.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville