SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/23/2024

27 days ago

Morning all -- how are you doing with your healthy lifestyle goals?

What is working for you -- and what requires more work?

Have you had any successes you want to share?

Do you have any new goals for the summer?

Comments (45)

• 27 days ago

How is it the end of June already? I feel like the summer is going to zoom by in just a blink of an eye! This week we had very high temps-- perhaps too warm for mid-day exercises but no matter, I have been tied to the computer and missed any opportunities to get out and enjoy it. This coming week (and this weekend) are much the same... so my ffocus will be on increasing my water consumption, healthy eating and improving my sleep.

I don't have any great plans to achieve the above other than making them a priority. I am loaded up with lemons which always helps me to better enjoy plain 'ol water. The fridge isnt well stocked but I will take care of that by the end of the day ;)

Hope you all have great and healthy weeks -- any special plans or goals for the week?

• 27 days ago

We were deluged last week, after a couple years of drought, but I managed to get some type of walk in every day. So, I plan to hit my mile goal in walks this week.

One thing I did last week was a full body skin exam. DD manages a dermatology practice and has been nagging me to do this for awhile. I got an all clear. My Dr. did say my legs were dry and recommended Cerave lotion.

Funkyart thanked barncatz
  • Related Discussions

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 1/7/2024

Q

Comments (14)
    I read these weekly, and always mean to write earlier in the week. But something causes me to wait until later. I've picked up weight training again these past few weeks, and my body feels sore and good! I've listened to a few podcasts about longevity lately, and, like Gscience's article, there is no doubt that strength training is essential. One longevity expert/researcher even cited a study where, out of all the exercise options, strength training was shown to better reduce cancer. Don't ask me to cite it... it's long buried in my list of podcasts. But it's part of the overall and very clear message that we need to maintain muscle as we age. Saying that, my shoulders and arms are especially sore because I shoveled snow twice yesterday (the heavy "heart attack" snow), and I have to shovel one more time today before temps drop. My driveway and sidewalk are not long, but just long enough that it's a physical challenge. And I remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to manage this on my own. Food-wise, I'm doing ok, but have had a few extra sweets that I don't normally have, thanks to DS's late-night trip for ice cream. But I haven't eaten out since the holidays, and so lots of homemade food. Yesterday, I made a cauliflower lentil curry soup that was filling and delicious. I agree, Funky--this is soup weather. I enjoy the process of making soup, and especially vegetable based so I can use whatever I have on hand. Sue's chili sounds like my next one.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 3/24/2024

Q

Comments (26)
    Jojo - I am sure you are experimenting this week and I hope you find some successful foods. I will say, oatmeal is the first thing that gets either skipped for breakfast or modified a great deal when people first start wearing a glucose monitor. It is known for its sudden glucose spike. Accompany that with two pieces of toast and the sudden spike followed by a sharp fall could certainly have you feeling that way. I do best with fat, fiber and protein for breakfast, but sometimes I will have oatmeal. But only 1/3 cup mixed with 2 T chia seeds and some cinnamon and walnuts, along with breakfast chicken sausage for protein. I'm trying very hard to minimize my processed food, and it is so hard for me. I really do enjoy eating out and snacking. I need to cook more, but it takes so long :) And I can never figure out what to make. Today I thought I was doing well, but I still had a Papa Steve's Bar for breakfast and Masa chips with my avocado. Now, technically papa steve's has no junk and the Masa chips are made with beef tallow instead of seed oils, but they are still processed in some manner. I will keep trying to eat more whole foods! I am very good with fruit and nuts, so there's that :) I have been walking this week and got in several hours of pickleball and one strength training workout, so that part is going well. The podcast I listened to today said 20 minutes 3 times a week for strength training, and after that the returns start to diminish. I can do that - 20 minutes is nothing in my day. I am going to try harder to be more consistent with that.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 3/31/2024

Q

Comments (19)
    @texanjana .. i am so sorry you are dealing with long covid. I know a few here have/are. I am glad to hear things are improving ... i hope they continue to improve. Also I am impressed that you have given up sugar, gluten and alcohol ... any one of them is a feat but all three at the same time? Impressive! @Sueb20 .. great idea to give yourself A day a month to go to the bakery for 2 servings! I do that with pizza and knowing I can and will have pizza soon is enough to calm my cravings for it. I'll swap out burgers for pizza in the warmer months. @barncatz.. i don't want to live forever lol but I don't want to die next year. I am generally healthy enough but I have enough working against me that I want to do the best I can... and I want to LOOK the best I can. I don't think it is shallow to want to be and look your best unless it becomes an obsession. @feathers .. you have been so consistently on track. You have to feel great about that ... it's a big accomplishment but also has great paybacks for you. Congratulations! @jsk .. maybe just start with changing one thing each week... but commit to that one thing. I find that easier to get rolling than to try to do every single thing "right"... especially when I have fallen off track. Just an idea. Make it a great week all! And thanks for being here!
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 5/5/2024

Q

Comments (12)
    Glad to have you join us, 3Katz! I think you have a great plan-- just replacing simple carbs with more veggies is such a positive step! Also clearing the house of the junky snacks. I still enjoy the junky snacks but I have to keep them out of the house! GS glad that you are able to get a dose but I echo Feathers, it is great that you have been able to maintain without it! And speaking of holding steady -- great work, Feathers! I think one of the hardest things for me lately is keeping to a routine and holding steady. You are inspiring and I love hearing that you are feeling stronger! Also love hearing that you are sleeping better. This past week my sleep has taken a steep decline and I feel it. I am waking up multiple times in the night-- not for the bathroom or any known reason. Just waking up. I may check out the magnesium glycinate. I read somewhere years ago that most people dont get enough magnesium -- since it has so many health benefits, I started adding walnuts (a great source of magnesium) to a lot of my meals (salad, pasta, etc) .. i may try adjusting my diet first. Green leafy vegetables, nuts and black beans are all good sources that I remember off the top of my head. Speaking of black beans, I have been enjoying a chicken taco salad this week-- with seasoned ground chicken, black beans, campari tomatoes, shallots. It is quick and easy and pretty satisfying. I have had a hard time getting into salads ever since I got very sick after eating a salad a year ago. I think any variation that isnt the typical cucumber, tomato, onion in vinaigrette is the key. It is crazy it is still turning me off a year later-- but I am glad to find other variations of salad that I can enjoy. I haven't lost any weight but I have been better about increasing my protein. When I do increase protein though, I dont eat as many vegetables. I need to get a better balance. I know protein is so important but I feel better when I eat more veggies than protein. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    ...See More
  • 26 days ago

Barncatz, I'm glad you got the all clear. I need such an exam, too--it's on my health to-do list.

Funky, I planted a little pot of mint just outside my back door, just to add to water. I have lemons, too! Great idea.

I listened to this podcast last week, and it eased my mind a bit about protein intake. The standard in strength training seems to be 1 gram per lb of ideal body weight. I just can't meet that. I aim for at least 100 grams per day, but no longer stress over it. He also advocates for colllagen supplementation, and I swear by that, too.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • 26 days ago

I listened to the same podcast feathers! It was interesting how he want from all those supplements, and selling them, to only one really. Interesting progression. I want to start the collagen supplements, but I just never have. I have a container in my pantry ready to go. I'm hoping it will help with face wrinkles :) that might motivate me. Totally off the healthy lifestyle - but I have way more crows feet than people my age. I've been looking around :)

Same goals here as usual - good sleep, no alcohol, lots of fiber and lots of exercise. I'm also trying to get to 500 outside hours by the end of the month, which averages 5 a day through the end of June. I need to get back outside, that will be a stretch.

barn - glad you got the all clear - mine is scheduled next week. Funky- water is key for me too - l struggle some, but it's been so hot it's made it a little easier.

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 26 days ago

Went to church today and left my cane in the car. Knelt for communion...knee did not protest.

I've had a hard time keeping weight on. I know that sounds like a great thing, but I'm underweight so it's not for me. Anyway, put on a couple of pounds, so will keep on eating ice cream from the container whenever I go into the kitchen. I love Häagen-Dazs Mint Chip, but seriously, the ice cream needs to be pale green, not vanilla-color. Mint tastes green and it needs to look green too.

I have an x-ray tomorrow, my first since before I was weight-bearing. I hope everything continues to look good in Tibial Plateau Land.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

I hope so too, Bunny. And I hope you get to a weight you feel is healthy as your routines normalize. I think that physical pain casts a lot of shadows over everyday activities.

• 25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

After a few days of company for my birthday, I am being more mindful of what and how much I am eating.

For me this means tracking. Writing down my meals and adding up the calories. Once I am back on track I don't have to write things down.

Funky, yes to water. I struggle with this because it takes a lot for me to be thirsty.

Bunny, I like ve mint chip too, but I’ve started trying out other Haagen-Daz flavor. I have a white chocolate raspberry I'm working on.

Funkyart thanked eld6161
  • 25 days ago

Speaking of thirst, my 93 yo Mum is never thirsty, my whole life not just in her older age. Even last week when the temperatures were like living in Hell’s waiting room, she never recognized thirst. No matter how many times we instruct, tease, or cajole she doesn’t drink enough fluids. Anyhow, she told me she didn’t feel well one day and her bff, a former nurse, insisted she drink some water. Lo and behold, miracle of miracles, she felt better about 30 minutes later. It would be nice if this experience helped convince her to drink something routinely, but I doubt it.

Funkyart thanked hhireno
  • 25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

Awhile ago, my dentist asked me to reconsider my reliance on diet tonic/grapefruit juice. When I started reading this thread, that was one of the first things I jettisoned and went to ice water.

• 25 days ago

Hh, my dad was the same way. I even bought him a water bottle that had markings on the side that indicated ideal water consumption. I discovered that he liked canned selzter, so he was into that for a while, which helped.

I drink tons of water. That is the one thing I’m doing right!

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • 24 days ago

I started walking the road in the other direction for a change. This is the 1/2 mile mark.

• 24 days ago

When I’ve seen these threads pop up each week, I mistakenly thought that they were weight loss focused. Now I realize that they are simply about a healthy lifestyle - which can mean different things for different people.

I need to have a full body skin check - I’m nervous to have it done. I’ve had some pretty bad luck re: health issues - And I assume that I will receive some bad news.

I need to have someone (or a group) hold me accountable for having this done. Maybe this is the right place? If not, let me know!

Funkyart thanked dani_m08
  • 24 days ago

I'm fully on board with regular, i.e., annual skin checks, especially if, like me, you spent foolishly long hours in the sun. We all thought deep tans were the rage and had no clue all that sun exposure would come back to bite. Now I find deep tans (on a naturally fair-skinned person) to be unattractive.

My mom was always having little skin boo-boos removed (she too was a deep tanner). In 2015 my pcp found a skin thing on my inner calf she wanted Dermatology to look at. Derm did a biopsy and it turned out to be melanoma. It was totally innocuous looking. Had it removed, clear margins. I told the surgeon to dig deep and not worry about what it looked like. Today it's very smooth and you can barely see the scar. Kaiser had me in for skin checks every 6 months, then yearly. At 5 years post, they said I was done. I still have my pcp do yearly skin checks. The things they find often can be treated successfully with no recurrence. Skin checks for the win!!

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 24 days ago

Today I went to PT and got an A going up and down 2 flights of stairs, one foot after the other. There was an exercise where I had most of my weight on my bad leg and I would toss a ball on a bouncy backstop thing that would bounce it back into my hands. I felt like I was playing shortstop.

I told my PT I'm using the walker for my daily walks for stability but it is clunky and feels like I'm too reliant on it. She suggested trekking poles and had me try one out in the gym. On the way home I stopped at Target and found a pair for $20. I took them out for a spin and wow, game-changer. Not only did I feel secure and balanced, but I wasn't dragging the walker over irregular sidewalks, and my arms are also getting a much-needed workout. I don't think I had the handle straps on correctly, but I can work that out.

Do any of you use trekking poles for flat surface walking? Is there a brand or type you recommend? I actually prefer walking in the street, if safe, because it's usually more even than our sidewalks around here.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 24 days ago

GET ANNUAL SKIN CHECKS! (Or whatever your dr recommends.) I have had suspicious things removed several times. Two times, it was basal cell skin cancer. Not serious, but removal leaves a scar and mine were small. Removal and scarring are much worse if you let it go.

I go every year without fail. I have a lot of freckles and moles and also was a sun worshipper (remember when we used baby oil? or when SPF 4 was being super careful?).

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • 24 days ago

I am the absolute worst person to keep up with regular doctor appts. But I do get an annual skin check. I think because I just make the appt when I'm there for the next year, I just go. If I didn't do that, I would probably not go. I'm due for my mammogram and I haven't made the appt yet. Like I said, I'm the worst!

Thankfully, I have never had anything on my skin that warranted further evaluation. I was a huge sun worshipper in my youth. Never wore sunscreen. Worse, used baby oil. I admit I am still a sun worshipper but I do wear sunscreen now. Well, admittedly only when on a beach vacation. I still feel better and think I look better when I have a tan.

My mom was the biggest sun worshipper there ever was. I grew up in a community with lakes and beaches and she spent every day of my youth on the beach in the summers. I don't think she knew that there was such a thing as sun screen. She would get so dark that people often thought my parents were a mixed marriage. My dad was very pale and hated being in the sun. Only went to the beach on the weekends because my mom did and he always sat under an umbrella. She never had any sort of skin cancer and lived into her 90s.

My hope is I have her genes in that respect!

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • 24 days ago

Another advocate for yearly skin checks! I just went a couple of weeks ago. Nothing major going on, just the annoying seborrheic keratoses (SK's) aka the "barnacles of aging" that I get frozen off. I get them a lot around my bra line, so they are super irritating. She freezes them off and they do up to 20 for $200. Welcome, Dani_M, and do not be afraid of going. Call now because it can often take months to get a non-emergency appointment with a dermatologist or even to see the PA.

That is so great you are doing better, Bunny. Yay for the poles and being able to go to church. I think Funky has used the poles.

It's super hot this week, so outdoors only early mornings for Zumba and then the rest indoors at the Y or at Pilates. Or like now, I am on the treadmill desk. No nice nature walks like barncatz.. Had a brief power outage this afternoon for about 45 minutes. Fortunately it stayed OK temperature wise. We do have a fair number of trees which I think really help keep the house cool.

Protein goals I have from the RD are from 80-100 grams per day. I don't have trouble meeting these targets. You really need only about 1.2 to 1.5 g per kg of bodyweight and people are doing per lb instead. Still not sold on benefits of collagen supplements from what I heard at my last conference. Also remember resistance training >>> protein for muscle building. And really any type of resistance training reps will work, and consistency is key.

Wore my flamingo leggings to Pilates today. Feeling peak summer in those!

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • 24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

I lost a childhood friend to melanoma -- and a skin check has been on my list since right before covid. I have put it off but it is time to make it happen.

Bunny, I use hiking poles-- because of my many vision issues + no depth perception, I am very unsteady when walking where the ground is uneven, where there is a lot going on visually or where there are a lot of people. They make me much more confident that I am steady on the ground and walking a straight line ... the counteract my brain telling me I am off balance or going to fall. Game changer.

I have an inexpensive pair from the big river ... they are inexpensive but have some features that are important to me: they are light and collapsible to under 14: The rubber gripper isnt great and after almost a year of use, the clips have unexpectedly let go a few times. I don't use them to hold my weight so the clips releasing hasn't been a issue but it is surprising and annoying. I should use them more than I do-- but I am dependent on them when traveling so I intend to upgrade. I am looking at the Black Diamond Flx carbon ... havent purchased yet because they are on the pricier end of the scale.

These are my current poles -- <$30

• 24 days ago

Doing well so far this week on exercise. I've been keeping up my morning cardio alternating running and swimming 7 days per week. I've been putting in extra time on my swims (waking up a little earlier) and really enjoying pushing myself on 50m (instead of the 25m pools available in the cold months). My goal is to lift weights (alternating upper body and legs) 5 days per week. It's been challenging with my work schedule, but I started doing better last week and have been continuing this week. Having some trouble with elbow pain (probably "tennis elbow") and that's making the lifting challenging.

While we're talking about appointments, I need to fess up that I'm terrible about them. I had to reschedule a dentist appointment and haven't gotten to it. I need to make an eye appointment (have been using 1-800-contacts but I think it's time for an actual checkup) and I haven't done it yet. I also should do a skin check now that I'm in my 40s and although I've been good about sunscreen, I am very active outside so it would be wise. I'm even overdue for a haircut and haven't gotten around to making that appointment. I also want to get back to doing monthly massage appointments (with a very skilled massage therapist) as it really helps me stay active, but I always struggle to find the time to make the appointment or the time to find to go to the appointment.

On the eating / digestive front, I really need to get back to taking the probiotics my doctor suggested. I have been lax and I think my digestion is indicating that. I also am relieved that my in-laws (and their gluten contamination risk) will hopefully be moving out soon. I continue with intermittent fasting and continue to appreciate it as a weight management tool and digestive healing tool.

• 24 days ago

Funky, thanks for weighing in on hiking poles. My handles aren't cork, which seems to be the preferred material. I'm so thrilled that I can feel safe and balanced out on my walk without my actual walker. My arms thank me, too.

• 24 days ago

Dani, Prickly and Funky (and anyone else I missed above), let's commit to getting skin checks by year's end. I really need to do this.

Gscience, my advocacy of collagen is a combination of research and my own anecdotal experiences. I've been taking it for 3-4 years. I ran out once and stopped for about a month, and soon noticed aches and pains that I could only attribute to stopping. I started again, and they subsided. The changes were apparent, so it's something I have incorporated. Like creatine, it's a pretty safe supplement with no side effects. (And I love your leggings!)

Bunny, your progress is inspiring because you're doing the work to improve. You're being proactive and seeing results. Keep at it!

• 24 days ago

Feathers, thank you! It's rather shocking to see how quickly muscles atrophy when they aren't being used. My good leg had to do all the work and provide balance, while my bad leg just dangled. It's coming back. As I put on my pants in the morning, I realize, hey, I'm balancing solely on my bad leg! But yeah, you have to work at it, especially at my age.

I should stop calling it "bad leg." In PT they refer to it as my "surgical leg."

• 24 days ago

Bunny, the balance class DH and I took told us to use poles for exercise walking, not only for balance but because you get a much better workout. I've shared these before, I think and keep meaning to order them or similar from REI. We have collapsible poles we use in the winter for picking our way across parking lot ice but, as funky pointed out, it's different when you're actively striding AND need poles to reliably bear weight.

• 24 days ago

Bunny, I like the cork handles but I know some do not -- I havent seen the hiking poles from target so I don't know what they are made of or what features they have. For walking in my neighborhood, I wouldn't care if the poles were collapsible (I keep them in a small corner by my back door) however, if I am using them out and about and especially going into/out of stores or restaurants, I depend on being able to quickly/easily collapse them.

They really help my balance and security -- based on what you have described of your needs, I think they will be very helpful to you too! I cant provide the link to my current poles but you can look for "covacure". I think they are a great option for a low cost ($25) if you arent 100% happy with the ones you already purchased.

Gscience so glad you are seeing/feeling progress! It makes such a difference to my continued motivation! You sure are ready for summer with those flamingo leggings!

Dani - welcome! There is no doubt that this thread did start out with a focus on weight loss... some of us looking to lose a lot, some looking to lose just a few-- but also lots of discussion of related healthy topics and behaviors. The title has always noted "healthy lifestyle" vs weight loss because surely we all know that there is more to health and life than our weight ... and you won't be able to reach or maintain a healthy weight without a generally healthy lifestyle based on healthy behaviors! The group has always welcomed anyone who wished to join and in recent months, it has evolved with time to include quite a number of participants who were focused on all sorts of health issues/topics. Everyone is welcome .. I am glad to see you join the conversation.

Feedback Requested:

I have found the support and encouragement in this thread so very helpful! I value all who share their experiences and offer support to others-- no matter their healthy lifestyle goals.

Unfortunately, I have had less time to spend on the board and have really lagged on providing support and encouragement to others. Unfortunately, this will continue and likely get more sporadic as I prepare to launch a new software product this fall (first of 3 releases).

I would like to continue to participate in the thread despite my increased stress and schedule demands. Unfortunately I will not be in a position to respond to each post and encourage each person in whatever their goals are. Would you prefer to have someone else start these threads and keep them supportive and updated through the week? I am very open to whatever works for the group!

• 24 days ago

I have not been here very long (on these threads), but my opinion is you do not need to respond to all posts. Just the fact that you start it is enough. The group keeps the encouragement going from what I've seen.

Good luck with your development and launch! I know those stresses as I'm in the same field.

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • 24 days ago

100% agree that just starting these threads is plenty! No need to feel like you have to respond to all posts. I think many here will naturally respond to one another, so you should not feel like the onus is on you, especially when you don't have the bandwidth. In terms of health, I think we often feel obligated to do things that are just beyond our capacity at the time and it can cause unnecessary stress. These threads should definitely not be that.

gsciencechick you look so fabulous in those flamingo leggings!

Bunny, I had two knee surgeries, one at 15 and one at 16. I recall being so shocked at the muscle loss each time. If I'm honest, it probably took me more than a year to rebuild my leg muscles to what they were previously. (I was an athlete and had always had muscular legs, so it was a lot.) I was very self-conscious about my legs around age 15-18 because of it. Which is ridiculous because I probably still had fabulous teenage legs. I am so impressed with your focus and tenacity to bring your leg back to strength and keep yourself healthy. It is so easy to let an injury set you back. Love that you're investing in walking sticks to keep moving forward.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • 24 days ago

Ditto, esp. as to prickly's point. If you find you don't have time to start the thread, give a shout out and it will get worked out.

• 24 days ago

Ditto ditto Funky - you are so welcoming and supportive to everyone on these threads but I certainly never expected you to reply to all of these posts just because you started the thread. I think everyone naturally responds and that is great. And others just read along. Part of a healthy lifestyle is protecting your mental health too - definitely adjusting things that cause you stress and participating in a way that works for you at this time.

Gscience - LOVE your leggings and you look great!

Bunny - I am so glad you are making such good progress with your PT and that you are enjoying the walking sticks.

Dani- welcome and schedule your appt! Mine is Monday. I haven't been for almost 3 years they told me when I made the appt. Not good. I have the dreaded colonoscopy later this summer. The prep part sounds bad, but I'm actually pretty nervous about the whole anesthesia part more. I haven't had anything like that since I had surgery when I was young. But I am committed to getting it done. I am already several years late. I am good about the dentist though - I am so afraid of the bad possibilities there that I keep up in hope some sort of preventative care will help!

Funkyart thanked legomom23
  • 24 days ago

These are great threads! Thank you Funky for bringing them to us every week. It's totally understandable if you can't participate at a high (or any) level all the time. Responding to each one can be time-consuming, even if you have plenty of time on your hands.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 24 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

Yesterday I didn't know anything about trekking poles. Today I just ordered my second pair!!!

Okay, I might have cheaped out a bit with my $20 pair from Target. The handles aren't cork or EVA (had to look that one up today). Plain aluminum on the heavy side. Today I used them for the second time and the strap/handle just isn't comfortable. Nevertheless, I can see the value of the poles in principle and am on board.

I ordered a mid-price set of Black Diamonds (in Picante...olé!) with cork handles, EVA grips, and 7075 aluminum which should be somewhat lighter than my plain aluminum ones. Ordered extra rubber tips. I'm not trekking up rocky trails, or in the snow (as if) or mud. I'm an everyday urban neighborhood walker. Walking is important to me, so it was particularly psychically painful when I literally couldn't walk for 2 months and wondered deep down whether I could come back from my injury. If I can't achieve 100%, I'm gonna come as darn close as I can get and be grateful for that.

ETA: Black Diamond

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 24 days ago

Bunny - I love your attitude, and I'm sure that it will get you to that 100% or very darn close!

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • 24 days ago

Thank you all.. much appreciate your understanding about my availability. I didnt literally mean responding to EACH post but I do try to keep the post moving and generally supportive. Right now we have a number of folks engaged so that helps... some weeks/months it drops and I guess those are the ones I was concerned about. I will continue creating the posts ...

but.. I will be on vac 7/11-7/23. I will be online (working some half days) while on vac but I can't commit to always being available to start the Sunday morning threads .. so hopefully one of you can do that? @gsciencechick has stepped in for me before-- you free in July, GS?

Jsk.. ah cool that you also work in software development. What's your role? I love the work but this will be my last project (done in 2026). I may not retire immediately, but I will not be managing projects/teams after this one.

• 24 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

Ironically, I am also in software development/engineering as well. I am a software engineer myself and also manage several engineering teams (recent promotion - preveiously managed a single team). I completely understand how a product launch can be stressful and time consuming.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • 23 days ago

Funky - I started out as a developer (have a BS in Computer Science). Worked my way up to Tech Lead on my product. Eventually got tired of that, but liked the product and the people I worked with. Thankfully, I had a wonderful relationship with the product manager on the business side and she was more than happy to move me to the business side. So, since then I've been the product owner for the product. Priorities are set from above me, but I write all the specs and review them with the development team, and manage the process of getting it all done, tested and out to production.

From what you've said here, I always felt like we did a similar job.

My plan was to retire Aug 2025 when I turn 65 and can get Medicare. However, a couple of years ago we were bought by a very large company. For a while they left my product alone. We make a LOT of money so I guess they didn't want to disturb that. Those days are over and they are making me crazy. Reducing development staff, took away all my QA people, yet expect us to get projects to production faster than ever. I'm just over it. Tired of fighting and explaining the obvious. I don't think I can make it another year plus. Hoping I can survive to March of next year to collect my bonus. I really don't want to leave that much $$ behind, but we shall see. Some days it's just not worth it. Today is one of those days!

Funkyart thanked jsk
  • 23 days ago

yup very similar work to both of you-- but I took a different path to get there. i am out of time right now but will share more later. Maybe on a diff thread.

• 23 days ago

Funky, no problem to start the threads while you're gone. I'll be here.

Thanks for the compliments on the leggings! Today just a black skort.

Right, no need to respond to everyone.

Legomom, the anaesthesia for the colonoscopy is generally pretty smooth and the easiest part of the day. It's not even really the prep, it's no solid food the day before. I'm so hungry when I get home.

• 23 days ago

Thanks, GS! ❤️

I dunno.. i think the prep is THE WORST but I am used to going without food for extended periods. I will say I was ready for a BIG breakfast after the colonoscopy but it didnt put me out too much. Regardless it is over and done by mid to late morning. You arent under anesthesia for long (or maybe you will have twilight anesthesia?) ... I understand that it makes you nervous but really, it isnt a big deal.

Colon cancer runs in my family so i consider it one of THE most important things to do -- and if all is clean, you don't have to do it again for another 10 yr! (at least I didnt)

• 23 days ago

The prep is the worst! I cannot drink anything I don't like the taste of so I put off doing it for years because I knew I would not be able to get that drink down.

But, like others, colon cancer runs in my family. Doctor gave me pills to take. It's a LOT of pills but to me better than the drink.

The actual procedure was nothing. I usually have a hard time coming out of anesthesia. I'm usually very groggy for an extended period, but I actually woke up feeling amazingly refreshed after the colonoscopy. Like I had the best night of sleep ever. Hubby took me out to my favorite brunch place after and it was the most delicious meal I ever had!

My brother had colon cancer last year. He's finished with treatment and got a clean colonoscopy recently. Whew!

Because of family history, I was told I need one every 3 years. I think I'm due again next year, or maybe 2026. Can't remember.

The saddest story is my daughter's friend from high school just passed away a few weeks ago from colon cancer. He was 37!! It was stage 4 when he was diagnosed. So awful.

My brother (a retired doc) told me that they're diagnosing it in people younger and younger and the age to start getting colonoscopies is coming down. Scary stuff.

• 23 days ago

That's interesting Jsk -- I had to fight to get one when I was 40. I have a family history but it was my paternal grandmother and paternal uncle who died from colon cancer. Because my Dad did not have it, insurance didnt want to cover it. I had decided to have one even without insurance but the Dr who cared for my uncle wrote a letter and they changed their decision.

I am glad to hear that they are making it easier for people to get tested. I am due for my 3rd .. but I had no issues in the last two so crossing fingers it will continue to show no issues.

• 22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

Saw the orthopedist today, not my surgeon, but the local guy. He says my leg has healed, and now it’s a matter of getting it stronger. It will continue to improve gradually over the year. He told me walking is the very best thing one can do. I finally had a good look at my xrays and now understand why I have a long scar down the back of my leg. That’s where the plate is, on the back of my tibia. I commented that the screws look a little long, but he said, nah, they’re fine.

He said I could develop arthritis in 10 years and need a knee replacement. Hah, I should live so long.

Funkyart thanked Bunny
  • 22 days ago

Excellent news, Bunny ... your motivation and love of walking will surely help you build back your strength!

• 22 days ago

Yay for the great report Bunny received from her doctor. 🚶🏼🚶🏼🚶🏼🚶🏼

Has everyone else made the calls to schedule the various exams and necessary appts? Do it tomorrow, no excuses.

• 21 days ago

Hhireno, not yet. But it's on my to-do list, and I will get to it. Thank you for the reminder!

Funky, I appreciate that you've taken the lead to start these threads, but I also do not expect you to actively facilitate them. I just enjoy reading through them once in a while, sharing my experiences, and picking up tips and strategies from all the participants here.

• 21 days ago

A friend of mine works for the company that makes Cologuard, an at home colon cancer screening kit. I wish the FDA would approve at home screening options for people under 45 since it's non-invasive but still highly accurate. I am 41 now and would absolutely do an at home screening right now. I have some more distant colon cancer in the family (a grandpa on one side and an aunt on the other both died of it) so I try to be cognizant of life choices as best as I can. But at some point, screening is critical. jsk is absolutely correct that statitistics are showing that colon cancer is showing up more frequently in younger populations. But still the recommended age is 45, so one has to wait. Personally I've only done an endoscopy (for upper abdominal pain) in my 20s. I think I had some trouble coming out of the anesthesia and recall the nurse telling me I needed to breathe (apparently I wasn't - yikes).