SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reporteret

Brand new cabinets don’t match brand new trim

Hi,

My renovation is just one problem after another, and now I have a paint match issue. It seems like I just have to stop trying to have a decent remodel since it’s impossible for anything to go right anyway. 😥 I went to the paint stores so many times, I was practically haunting the places. I specifically asked if I could have my cabinet door color-matched (I had to order it myself- the cabinet company had no samples), and he just showed me the paint chips that were already there, saying it was the best he could do. From there, he suggested an interior designer. I went over there, and two days later she came to the house and gave me a color. Cost $350.00. When I tested it, after going back to the paint shop, with my cabinet door repeatedly, dropping money and putting frantic time into figuring a match with multiple samples-— it was still was NOT right. Since my contractor needed me to choose, I gave him Chantilly Lace for the trim. Of course, now that it’s up everywhere, the cabinet door is distinctly dingy looking. I happened to go back to the paint shop for a color match for the hood, bringing a formula I got from reading the threads her (THANKS HOUZZ!), the owner’s father was able to make it for me. He smiled, and said as he handed it to me, “yeah… we can do color-matching too.”

🤷‍♀️ what!?! What!? WHAT!!!

So, now after all that craziness, and (not to mention the financial expenditure), I ended up with this mess. I think for sure, I must be insane, and should just give up. 🥺

Comments (31)

• 29 days ago

Sorry if you can summarize I'm a little confused what you are asking

So did you buy new cabinets? Or are you painting old ones? What color?

Color matches in my experience do not work. I don't know why they even call it that anymore. Paint colors are not even consistent from batch to batch(same product and color) in my experience that's why when you have to repaint anything you should do corner to corner. Benjamin moore and sherwin williams have a lot of issues in this arena which I know they're are the more luxury brands but behr is the only brand I've ever been able to buy a can years later and actually do a touch up in one spot on a wall and have it blend

Sample pots have also failed me

• 29 days ago

The paint store should be able to color match better than what you have now. I can’t believe neither the contractor nor the designer called bs on that. I can’t believe the cab company couldn’t recommend something! Repaint the trim now if it will drive you nuts forever. But it might not be so bad once the cabs are up. When you have a larger expanse of the warmer cab color it might just look like a contrast rather than dingy. Can they put the cabs up and change the trim after if needed? You’ll have to pay for it. But it might e worth it if it’s making you nuts.

P.s. never make a decision if you’re ‘frantic’. Delay until you’ve calmed down.

• Related Discussions

New cabinet hinges--why don't they fit?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have no idea whether they're surface mount or butt hinges. But I did find them online here. They're Liberty hardware, item # H01010C-CHR-O2. Here's the description: Brand: Liberty Style: Traditional Finish: Chrome Plated Description: Hinge, Overlay without Spring, 1 Pair Per Pkg Does that provide any clues? Thanks!
    ...See More

New cabinets...trim doesn't match

Q

Comments (9)
    It's true, you have three different wood tones going on. Unless these cabinets are so far off from your sample, I don't think having the cabinets redone will be an option. It looks like the entire kitchen has already been installed. Can we see other pictures of your home and the other side of the kitchen? You say semi- open floor plan, so maybe there is a way to transition from one tone to the next. First option: Although not ideal, all the elements unto themselves are nice. You might just get used to all of it together, once you are past the reno stage and back into the living day to day stage of life. The door in the kitchen can be painted to match your walls. That way it will recede and not be as noticeable. Not sure of how the other side of the kitchen is, but you can probably put a nice runner or two rugs somewhere to break up all the wood.
    ...See More

help my new shower floors don’t look so new

Q

Comments (36)
    Only my instinct given that he didn't execute the visible finishing in an accepted, and well-known, manner. If the visible isn't up to standards, what's behind the walls? My alarm bells went off but it's too late to check it without tearing it all out. You'll know within the year and that's why a warranty is so important. I'm just a check, check-again person after reading the forums for several years. Also, I'm going through my own reno and, despite written instructions and pictures, there have been some silly errors. I try to have a basic understanding of what should be happening so that I can, hopefully, catch it before we have to tear out the work. Also, hired a GC with positive local standing...just like you did. Mine has taken care of things, which have been minor like the wrong size cans and placement. It's like any medical issue, I'm my own best advocate and it's my duty to ask questions. I have to have an idea of the possibilities to ask the questions. Approach it like that. I see no reason to be confrontational. After some self-education with the TCNA handbook (Tile Council of North America), johnbridge is a great place to become acquainted with basics, just say that you expected silicone at the changes of plane and you're confident that he (or his tile person) will follow industry standards.
    ...See More

defects in brand new omega cabinets

Q

Comments (3)
    Every time I see a cabinet post I'm glad I didn't buy ours off the shelf. We've remodeled several houses and started using a local custom cabinet makers back in the early 2000s. They are always cheaper and take full responsibility for defects. They do the installation and notice the problems. If they see something they are not proud of, they don't install it - they rework it.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    29 days ago

So sorry for this trouble. The fact is, each paint company has their own “proprietary” “base” paint color IN EACH LEVEL OF product. Hence, a “color match” is technically impossible. Some colors are more successful than others but at this point, you will be fine with Chantilly Lace for trim. Once the cabinets are up, work on your lighting and make sure your LED bulbs are 3000 or higher. That will help blend everything whiter. Add accent finish for cabinet hardware and lighting and a wall color that pulls ever together.

• PRO
    29 days ago

Here are a couple of”inspirational” photos. We can do this.

• 29 days ago

Flo! Wow those are really pretty. 😍 I really appreciate your words of encouragement. Yeah, I can see what you’re looking there. Perhaps warming it up a little to make it look more intentional, instead of a miss. I might take a road trip to Boston to look at Constantino Dekton tomorrow. I kind of like some of their soft marble looking ones. They’ve got me looking at quartz and Taj locally for the countertop, and the island is already ordered in white to match the cabinets. I really don’t like the cabinets, but the designer in my quick session with her said white cabinets are pretty good. My vision included wainscoting around the room, and down the hallway. I was going to do wallpaper above it. Since the background color is like White Dove, I had the Living room, and a couple bedrooms painted out in White Dove. She had suggested soft chamois, but when I tested it, it was too dark. But at any rate, my big concern is that the wainscoting won’t match the cabinets. Maybe some cute LANTERN style ( in brass?) like you suggest will help? I had tentatively picked whicker ones like Serena & Lily style from Etsy, and maybe brass restoration hardware, and a brass faucet. The cabinets are panel-ready so that will be a big surface area too of the non-Chantilly lace color. Does this seem promising to you or is it really bad, Flo?

• 29 days ago

These were the lights I have tentatively picked. For the kitchen/dining room. It’s ironic, that you picked the light with the balls too, for your little rendering. You’re so sweet, and insightful! Do you like any of these?

• PRO
    28 days ago

Great I can help you. Sadly, you needed me earlier! But let’s just look forward. I would hold off on wainscoting since it is expensive and could be added later. I like the woven shade but worry about keeping it clean if it’s near the kitchen. I looked at your Ideabooks and your photos tend to lean more modern in style. Another reason to wait on wainscoting. It’s a very traditional style. Don’t focus too much on cabinet color. It’s neutral enough that it can be integrated successfully. I love Taj quartzite. I had it in one of our personal kitchens and loved it! Would do it again without hesitation. And it has many neutral tones so would be a unifying element for sure. Just keep any backsplash plain and simple. Using local sources is advisable because problems are easier to resolve. Make sure to personally select slabs. Take photos of the bar code tags on ends of slabs. These are unique identifiers to ensure you get the slab you paid for. Often, people are surprised by how countertops look because in stone yards you view with slab hanging vertically. But installed you view them horizontally and the look in your light also impacts the “net impression”. Personally, I would prefer a natural stone any day over quartz which is a man made resin and crushed stone product. Gotta run. I will stop back later today. Smile! It helps!

• PRO
    28 days ago

Just read my post and sounded a little self serving. Sorry. What I was trying to say is you need to stand back and get a whole space perspective. As a designer, this comes naturally to me. But as a homeowner unfamiliar with the details of kitchen design and construction trades it is overwhelming. So hopefully you are seeing the “big picture” now. Or getting a better perspective. With any reno or construction project there will be problems and issues and fears. Hopefully the Houzz team here can help.

• 28 days ago

Hey Flo! No worries. Even though, I was trying to create a proper environment for the wallpaper…I have definitely decided to make that and the wainscoting “later items.” Unfortunately, When I have the contractor my paints I was advised to have the painter skip painting any areas that were designated for having wallpaper. That basically means half the house, will remain unfinished. Those walls are just going to be primed. So yeah, my tastes changed since I worked on ideas a few years back. Now, I guess I’m in what people refer to as the transitional vibe area. Now that true color has returned, I couldn’t help but be kind of drawn to that. I like the idea of going with traditional colors, but sort of modern lights. It’s just a small ranch, so I figured the lighter colors would work better than say the darker English Country tones for instance. The stone yard Lady was very much thinking I should find a couple of Taj slabs. Two other yards she sent me to both said they can’t keep it in stock. I had been thinking of running countertop stone up the back splash. I’m not sure I could do, or would want to do that with Taj though. Might make the room look even more disjointed? I would have to find a very light Taj if I were to do that? ( more buff than brown/green/copper). If I chose a light white tile for the back splash, maybe it’s more doable? I am told TAJ is more expensive than porcelain or quartz…but less than marble, so maybe should just stick to the countertop anyway for that reason alone. Also, I was misinformed about the porcelain. It’s Caesarstone, and it’s in a where house my local contact sometimes sources the slabs out on the Boston area. They’re moving in three weeks so everything is packed up. I won’t be able to check out their stuff until then anyway. They’re just sending some samples, which may only be slightly useful. There’s a couple examples of the porcelain in their virtual tester. Sorry about a repeat of some pics. For some reason they’re trapped, and hopefully this time they’ll shake loose. Ha ha.,:) Thanks again for your great insights, and help. I really need it.🙏

• 27 days ago

Hey. Since I saw your note about the pendants I’ve been trying to hunt down others. They were chosen for contrast against the white cabinets, they were cheaper, and because they are different enough from the bubble light. Since they are a little more casual, I figured I could get away with the flush mount—which is sort of a big sister to a pair that was designated for the hallway. Getting them all to cover the bases is so hard! So, at any rate I’ve found some others that might work. Most of these are a bit dressier, and I can see, I might have to go with a more refined flush mount if I chose any of these.

• 27 days ago

Here’s a few more.

• 27 days ago

So here’s my kitchen layout, and the color, and hood style I ordered. You can’t see it here, but there will be a triple window, but it’s going to be vinyl without grids. I really have to order the lights soon, as the cabinets, and the windows have been ordered already. I guess, I just need help with the light selections, back splash and countertop. I could just pick a plain white quartz countertop, and pick some neutral zellige style back splash tiles?

• PRO
    27 days ago

Ok. You must see slabs before purchase. Porcelain requires experienced installers as it’s hard to cut and work with. I would stick with Taj if you can get nice slabs. Countertops only. Too costly for backsplash and heavy to install. I like this pendant to coordinate with your bubble chandelier. Just verify your ceiling height to make sure posts will work for proper length. Bottom of pendant should be approximately 30-33” above countertop. Hood is good. Just make sure it is wide enough for cooktop. Painting primed walls where wainscoting was planned shouldn’t be too hard to complete. If you go with Taj a plain tile backsplash perhaps stacked for a more modern look would be budget friendly but look great. I have the name of another stone that is coming in lighter than Taj but has a Taj look. I will post name after I check my file. Bbl

• PRO
    27 days ago

The name of the alternate quartzite is Perla Venata. It is similar to Taj but more available. Might be able to get lower cost too.

• PRO
    27 days ago

Floor and Decor and other stone yards gave it in greater Houston area. Check with your sources for availability and pricing.

• PRO
    27 days ago

This is what I mean by “stacked” tile pattern. This is more modern/contemporary look but is pretty timeless too. But wait on backsplash until countertops are in. This can be done later too. Spread out costs.

• 26 days ago

Hey FLO, thanks so much for your early in the morning replies.:) I will check out this other quartz idea. I didn’t see anything that pale at the places I went to so far, but I can certainly check with the countertop woman to if she can help locate that for me. As far as the stove being the correct size, I think it should be okay. It’s a 30 inch induction, and the hood is way more powerful than is necessary at 30 inches. I know some think the hood should have been a bit bigger, but it should be okay. If the cabinets weren’t slammed up next to it, it would have perhaps been easier to do a larger one. I don’t think I would have chosen to do it this way, if I had a chance to do all over again. I am pretty much am mortified by the entire layout and cabinets/hood. It’s all exactly what I would never have wanted, but here we are. 😬 Anyway, thanks for the light selection. The island will be 6.5 feet. The pendants come in 13.5 and 16.5, and I was thinking the 13.5 would work okay. You say to measure the lengths to the counter to the eight-foot ceiling. I will have to look at my kitchen plans to see if I can calculate that. I don’t know if those pendants with the rods are less alterable. We shall see.:) Not sure about that tile idea, but you’re right. I could have the contractors leave that undone. Do you know how I can get my house back faster? They are telling me, they electrify and do the plumbing very last. Have you seen a way to get that expedited?

• PRO
    26 days ago

Hope my messages didn’t wake you up I am a night owl. As to size of pendants. With that length island I would probably go with smaller ones. Don’t worry. Last weeks are crazy in any project. No magic to speeding up except feeding craft and tipping! 🤑 🍩

• PRO
    26 days ago

Usually pendant posts come with two size lengths rods. 12” and 6”. So, 36” height island plus 33” above countertop gets you to bottom of pendant at 69”. If length of pendant is 12” you should be fine with 12” rod or two 6” rods (they usually screw together). That’s figuring 8’ ceiling.

• PRO
    26 days ago

Samuel- this might be clearer. I don’t know size of pendants but used what most this size are. Hope this helps.

• 25 days ago

Flo! Thanks so much! That should look great. 👍 I found some nice reviews for those lights, so now I just have to order them. :) I attached some kitchens that were kind of like what I was looking to do. I hope mine isn’t too far from these. I went looking for that quartzite you mentioned, but didn’t see any. There was mostly Taj, marble ( which is my fave), granite, and quartzite. They had a less expensive marble there, but it was kinda busy looking. I wonder if I could just do a bead-board for the backsplash? Or, just part of it? Would that look strange in a white kitchen? Maybe I can paint the cabinets later? You have been so helpful, since I’m crazy right now. Can’t even thank you enough.:)🤗

• 25 days ago

These are three I saw today. The Taj is the most expensive, then the Carara marble, then the Calacutta gold quartz which has a slight taupe movement to it. They’re all nice in their own way, Since I need two slabs, I would have to be careful with the natural stone in ensuring the procurement of a pair that will work together. Like you suggest, have to look at the whole picture.

• PRO
    25 days ago

So happy to have been of some help! The Taj is a “quartzite” and one of the hardest stones out there. It will be gorgeous. Not a fan of the heavily veined quartz or quartz in general and the Taj is much better product. You could do a more solid color on peripheral countertops. That works very well. So consider that too. I had Taj on my island and used a quartz from fabricator “bone yard” (left overs from other projects) for back and coffee station counters picking up a taupe/gray from the Taj. Looked great and saved around $500-600 bucks too.

• PRO
    25 days ago

Oh. As to beadboard for backsplash that isn’t going to be clean look I think you are going for. Also, don’t let stone fabricator put 4” countertop backsplash on. Make them template countertop to wall. Then paint wall and add tile backsplash later once you can see everything done. Many people are doing this because it is hard to visualize all these choices coming together. You won’t regret that.

• 25 days ago

Sounds good. Flo!!! You’re amazing. Thanks for answering my questions. I’ll make sure I tell them that to meet the wall with the stone, without a lip up the wall. That makes sense.:) I have got to make some calls about this tomorrow so I can get some pricing in front of me. 🤞 I know they want to nail things down soon. Thanks again for your help! :)

• PRO
    25 days ago

My pleasure! Let me know what you find out tomorrow. (Opps, it is tomorrow!!). Nite.

• 25 days ago

I just wanted to say your kitchen will be so beautiful and Flo Mangan your advice is always so amazing. You are a true talent, I always appreciate your posts

• 25 days ago

Hey Flo,

So the pricing is $5280.00 for the countertop. TAJ (110.00) And Level 3 quartz is 3370.00 ( 70.00) and up wall (1820.00). The Danby marble is crazy at (165.00).— although I love it. I don’t have pricing for the Carrara white that I saw yesterday, and I forgot to ask about the Dolomite one that was there called white fantasy, but that one was kinda striped. I think this quartz below would be even cheaper, although I would have to ask about that one too. So now I have an idea about the lay of the land with pricing. Interesting! Is this in line with what you’ve seen?

• PRO
    25 days ago

Stay away from marble for countertops. Etching is big problem. @computerkkutz. Thanks for the kind words. Very nice to hear!!

• PRO
    24 days ago

Don’t go up wall with stone. Expensive and hard to work with.