SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

help with chair color?!

last month

I want to order the Riviera chairs for the kitchen in our beach house. The wall color is BM Nelson Blue, which I love. Cabinets are white, counters are black granite. Floors are light wood. The kitchen table is a light pine farmhouse style table.

This is Nelson Blue in two other spaces. I don't have a pic of my kitchen here.

This is the color of the chair that I think I like best. But I can't tell if the blues will work together. I could order ONE chair to check, but if I do, I will probably miss out on the sale that's happening now when I order the other (5) chairs. Below the blue chair is the neutral option, which would be fine but not as cute IMO.

Or, there is this one.

Posting a link because the photo wouldn't come through for some reason.

Riviera Rattan Dining Chair | Serena and Lily

I could do the hydrangea/white, or the fog/white. I even think the green would look nice w/ the blue, but I just changed the wall color from green last year so I am kinda over green now in this room.

Soooo, which color would you pick? Is the first blue chair too risky with the blue walls? I am NOT repainting the room because it is the same color down a hallway and all the way through the living room.

Comments (17)

• last month

It's really hard to tell whether that first blue chair will get along with your wall color - the two paint images look SO different on my monitor. I do think that would be a risky choice. (Though I don't think you are super risk averse?) . Re the S & L chairs, which are lovely, I think the Hydrangea/White would be nice or even the Navy/White, so that you're sticking with the blue...but not trying to match anything too precisely?

Sueb20 thanked ajuju
  • last month

That is kinda what I was thinking, too. I don’t really want navy because we have a lot of black countertop and I don’t thing I’d like the black and navy together.

But the hydrangea is pretty.

• last month

I vote the hydrangea/white. It's very pretty and would work well with the wall color and pine table.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • last month

I would rule out the navy for sure.

The Nelson Blue does not look the same in the top picture and the bottom picture, and it does not look like it "matches" the blue bedding in the top picture, but paint colors do that, they don't look the same all the time.

What is likely is that the color that you like Coastal Blue (?) will look different in different lights and would look better with the wall color at some times of day than others. I dunno, mismatches like that no longer bother me, they exist all over nature. But if you are concerned about it I would get the hydrangea. I kind of think the plain white and natural are cop outs. I like more intentional choices even if they aren't perfect.

Sueb20 thanked palimpsest
  • last month

Love the hydrangea colorway. Super pretty.

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • last month

I really like the hydrangea and also think it will look great with your pine table.

Sueb20 thanked Irish2
  • last month
    last modified: last month

Do they have it in person at the SnL in Chestnut Hill? Id' run by with a paint swatch to check the color if I were you. Also, I bet you could order one, and then place and order for the rest and tell them to hold delivery because you will be away. Then you could cancel the second order if need be, and you can always find a place for one? desk?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • last month

Chispa, I haven’t seen that thread, but I actually own the armchair version and they’ve held up to daily use just fine so far. I think Mtn has them, too?

• last month

I hve had 8 in my K at the beachhouse for a decade. No issues. That was probably another brand. the SNl chairs are not wicker. which is one thing I like about them. We can take them outside for parties, we can hose them down after kids use them, they are light weight, and don't catch on clothing.

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • last month

I am having second thoughts now; I found the thread Chispa referred to as well as some other negative reviews online. The S&L chairs we have at home do not get a ton of use. Mostly DH, as I tend to sit on the window seat. Our beach house chairs need to stand up to more use/abuse because we don’t have a dining room, so it is the only place to sit and eat. And when we have company, people tend to linger at the table. The arm chairs we have are comfy but they have a larger seat than the side chairs — so the side chairs may not be as comfy.

Our chairs are wicker…or rattan, I guess? or a combo. No plastic. We have the ”sunwashed” version.

• last month

Actually, since I know I like the sunwashed version, and the first chair I posted is the same line (ie no plastic) I think I will do what Mtn brilliantly suggested and go see them in person. I totally was forgetting that there is a store not too far from me.

• last month

I like the rattan colored chair for the kitchen color scheme you’ve described. The blues don’t seem vivid enough to be outliers in a kitchen with white cabinets and a black counter. They might end up looking like they were from a previous kitchen.

• last month

I saw this post about 7 minutes ago. About 4 minutes ago this ad showed up on my Facebook feed. I have not searched for color options. Birch Lane just opened a store locally. Close to the same?

• last month

Well, I went to S&L and looked at the chairs IRL. The seats of the side chairs are significantly smaller than the ones on the arm chairs (we have the arm chairs in Real House) and I don't think they'd be comfy for lingering in. Well, maybe for my DD who weighs about 105, but not for my big bum.

Colorwise, neither was a fantastic "match" for the wall color, but I liked the way the Coastal Blue looked, and I think it would work fine in the room, but the comfort just isn't there.

My latest thought is to get 6 antique (but sturdy) chairs, not necessarily matching (but same scale and same seat height) and paint them all a fun color. That could keep me busy for the rest of the summer.

• last month

Another option.

I have two of these. Previous kitchen chairs. I could get 4 more but ack, the price. But they are comfortable and hard wearing! I ordered a bunch of swatches to see if maybe I want to mix some different blues. (The two we have are the Lagoon color shown.) Meanwhile, maybe they’ll have a sale or they’ll send me a coupon or something.

• last month
    last modified: last month

We have Windsor bar stools from Plow & Hearth. They're very comfortable!