SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some First Flowers Ever

28 days ago
last modified: 28 days ago

Here are three that had their first flowers ever this sizzling hot weekend.

Luxurious is one I got last year that is just now blooming. It was hybridized by Gayle Story. I got it because the edge was supposed to be cream white. But in my hot climate that edge is only a little cream white and mostly gold chartreuse. Maybe it will look more like her photo in Indy.

Doctor Handsome is a Davisson I got last year that is blooming for the first time. The color is an orangey pink. I was expecting it to be more orange. Maybe it will be when planted in the ground.

Lost tag seedling, but I think the cross was Blue Jay Tapestry X a Karelia seedling.

The Color of Wonderful

Deeds Not Words

Dancing Flamingo X Neon Flamingo got hit hard by grubs last year. I have two tall scapes and eight that are short like these with only a few buds. I hope I can rejuvenate this one once it's living in a less grubby environment.

Yesterday American Doll was a nice clump. This morning all the remaining buds were gone - eaten by deer. I've also lost nearly all the buds on Miss Goldie Gold Digger and Willow Dean Smith.

Star Lord had its ffo yesterday. Grubs got to it last year. It only has one fan scaping, and that scape, although it has some lateral branching, won't have a bud count in the 20s like it has the past two years. The other fans might scape later, but I'm not holding my breath. Star Lord is my favorite Derrow.

Empire of Dawn and Dusk does not perform well in a pot. I look forward to getting it in the ground in Indianapolis. It's a Derrow too, and I believe this one does well for Hoosier Nan.

Dancing On My Own is a Derrow. The color of this one is better in the heat. I didn't like the color in the cool weather at all. I'm probably not keeping this one.

Betwixt and Between is a Derrow I do like. I'd like to take it with me, if I can fit it in the suitcase. This photo was taken after a cool night. The flowers have a better gold edge in the heat, but I keep forgetting to photograph them.

Debra

Comments (9)