SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgalen

Reconfiguring kitchen on a budget

last month
last modified: last month

Hi Houzzers. We have a rental that sustained quite a bit of damage during a recent tornado. The good news is that we intended to eventually replace the flooring with real wood and reconfigue the kitchen and now insurance will pay for part of that. We intend to move into this house within a year or two and were going to do the work then. However, because insurance will pay for new flooring now and the cabinets have to be taken out in the process we this this may be the time to do a good portion of the work. Tenant had to move out, so we won't be disturbing them. None of the design is mine, so you won't hurt my feelings - all ideas welcome.

Things I want to change:

- Hate the corner sink and the angled countertop. Dishwasher opening is awkward.

- Bar-height overhang is less than 9", so is nearly useless. Would prefer counter-height seating area, but would need to move cabinets in order to maintain walkway between Living/Dining and Hall.

- Dislike the columns, but they appear to be structural. Style can be changed, though.

- Pendant lighting (some of it was broken anyway).

- Fireplace in living room - all ideas welcome.

- Backsplash

Things I don't mind:

- The cabinets are fine and it would be my preference to keep them if possible. However, my guess is they were built on-site and aren't modular so I may have to change them. They will all have to come out (temporarily) anyway in order to remove the flooring.

- I don't mind the granite, but it wouldn't have been my first choice. In order to change counter seating and sink placement I will need to get new granite for that side of the kitchen anyway. But it may be possible to keep countertops where range is and next to fridge.

- The island is a little awkward, but it will need to be removed/made smaller in order to have a larger counter-height seating area.

- Don't mind the raised countertop next to the entry hall. It's between two columns and does a nice job blocking view of countertops from entry.

Things I want to keep:

- All appliance placement (except dishwasher).

Comments (19)