SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_hardy96

Sequoia Root Girdling

last month
last modified: last month

Greetings, Houzz.

I have a 3-year-old giant sequoia in a container. I've been worried about it root-girdling for a while. Today the new growth on the top went limp, although on its regular watering schedule. It has since rehydrated (6hrs). Could this sudden lack of hydration of the new growth indicate that it has become girdled enough to restrict the flow of water up the trunk?

The tree germinated in 2021 and grew for a year in a small 4 inch diameter x 5 inch high pot. In 2022, without breaking-up the rootball, it was repotted into a 3 gallon pot. Then in 2023, it was repotted into the current growbag from the 3 gallon pot, again without breaking-up the rootball. That's why the roots seem to form a circle which matches the size of the original pot (see photos). Knowing this, I’m unsure whether it can push the roots outward and avoid constriction/girdling. Because of this I doubt one can simply remove it from the growbag and cut as with a regular potted plant.

Back in May I cut one of the surface roots that was circling nearest the tree. I should probably cut the larger root to the left of it? However, as it's not the typical circling root, should I cut it nearest-possible the trunk (labeled 1), or where it meets the soil (2). And should I try to trim the root that was already cut so it is flush with the trunk (3). I don't think I can cut the roots close enough to kill the roots off. The one I cut in May still tiny new roots coming from it. The reason I ask is because, if the tree has grown bark around/over the root, will the root shrivelling-up expose the trunk to rot or insect damage, as its absence might reveal a hollow where the trunk has grown around it? What is worse in root girdling: the cambium damage or pressure on the xylem?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA