SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisetessierpayette

Software for furniture layout

last month

This non-pro is looking for advice on an easy-to-use app for furniture layout. With a two-story house to furnish, I could use some help deciding which pieces I need, in what sizes and where to put them. The drawings from the RE agent are a little too rudimentary to be useful, unfortunately. Programs I’ve seen recommended elsewhere include Magic Plan and Floor Planner. But I’m more interested in what my HOUZZ friends have used and found helpful. Some of the ones I’ve glanced at seem a little too technical for me. Thanks in advance.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    last month
    last modified: last month

For over thirty years I have used..........

A scale ruler

Paper

A very sharp pencil

Furniture templates.....or the sale ruler.

That is what I use for a lowly and tiny kiddie bedroom, or a manse approaching ten thousand square feet.

You're saying......"OMG! How behind the times can you GET?!" IS SHE AN IDIOT?

ANSWER: No, she isn't an idiot.

Tools that work: )

By the time I have altered the walls, or the layout in framing, or "furnished" on paper?

I can tell you the length of almost any wall, the size of most windows and passages.

I "know" that home as intimately as If I had been living in it for five years..

Unless you already understand clearances, comfortable passages, scale and proportion? No computer on earth and no program you plug in is going to help you.

What you CAN do? Post your two story home plan on this site, right down below in the comments in jpeg format , very legible. You will get a lot of help. Yup...... right here on Houzz - same thread, no need to start another.

• PRO
    last month

I do the exact same . I find it is easy and not much learning curve. I do the same for all my kitchen designs too. Lots of free advice here with your to scale plan posted . I would also suggest you begin some idea books on your page to give us some clue as to your style.

• PRO
    last month

Graph paper. Or an architect's scale.

• last month

Graph paper, tape measure, ruler, scissors. I make a scale drawing of each room, measure all my furniture, make cutouts of all the furniture, and move them around on the drawing.

I did this before we moved into our new house - I was able to tell the movers EXACTLY where every piece of furniture should go. There were a few things that I envisioned when the room was empty, but didn't work out when I tried to lay out my cutouts.

It sounds like you are starting from scratch, with no furniture? Beds are a standard size. Take a tape measure to a furniture store, and measure pieces you like. You may find that sofas, chairs, tables tend to be similar in size - or you fall in love with a sectional, and want to see if it will fit. When the pieces are placed, measure the walkways and clearances (this is where graph paper comes in handy - often you don't even have to measure). Measure the walkways and clearances in your current home to see what feels comfortable to you.

You could do the same with software (Paint, Sketchup, some form of CAD), but I'm not sure the benefit is worth the learning curve.

• last month

I did graph paper for years (not a pro, just someone who moved cities and apartments frequently for a period). Cut out graph paper "paper dolls" for furniture, stuck a Scotch-tape loop to the back to make templates I could rearrange at will.

Now I've set up a an Excel graph paper template. I draw walls with the border tool, draw furniture pieces with the Insert Shape tool, and I can make furniture mockups quickly that can be rotated and placed anywhere on the room drawing.

• PRO
    last month

I do not even have the lovely furniture template but make my own from light card board you can get all the measurements from either on line or an in person visit to a furniture store you like. I find the ability to just move the pieces so simple it just works I do have atemplet of different width walkways since I do a lot of kitchen designs and they are easy to work with . Those also allow you to make sure you have walkways wide enough when placing the furniure.

• last month

You guys are soooo nice. Thanks for reassuring me that the paper method I’ve used since 1980 whenever I’ve moved into a new place still works. I’ll pick up graph paper, a measuring tape and a straight edge and get back into the house as soon as I can, then post the results here, along with photos.

• PRO
    last month

Get an architect's scale/ruler too. Very helpful when doing drawings. 1/4" to a foot works well. A lot easier and quicker to learn how to use than a computer program.

• PRO
    last month

If you have a scale ruler, you really do not need graph paper . Also handy? Good tracing paper. Set it right on top of your house plan, put the walls in and tata! A nice "clean" slate

Best ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYA8V22?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• last month

I did what the various commenters are suggesting, but I used PowerPoint to draft the various furniture pieces because one can set the dimensions of each "text box" for your pieces. I then cut out the shapes and moved them around on a big piece of paper that had all the windows, doors, etc labelled. When I was satisfied, I taped the pieces to the big paper and scanned in the arrangement so that nothing got disturbed.

• last month

Progress report to follow up on my original post: I bought all of the suggested supplies, including tracing paper, and spent an afternoon measuring the house while the RE agent waited patiently. I’m going back Monday for a re-measure during inspection. That’s because, when I went to transfer the numbers to paper, some were in conflict with reality. I plan to post the floor plans and pics next week for sure. Thanks to everyone for your support. It means a lot. You’ve already helped me go from panic to purpose.

• PRO
    last month

A whole house measure is time consuming when done all alone, and not always accurate.

You're rushing and panicking! WHY? You have NO furniture? No beds, nothing? Not one sofa to sit on?

Measure room by room and label . You don't need all the connective tissue of hallways right now! The family room, the dining room, the breakfast area. Each of the bedrooms etc.

To eliminate mistakes and hard to read boo boo's? I use ONLY inches, and convert later!

You can also, once you are closed, go to the TOWN . Ask/pay for a copied set of the two living floors, or an emailed PDF.

A new home is a process. You do not need, do not want, every stick of possible new furniture the first day. Even in a vacation home new to you. It is a beginning, not an ending.

• last month

Jan makes a terrific point. If you have to sit in lawn chairs in the living room for a while, do it, so you can best determine what furniture works best for you.

I thought I would like our couch and love seat arranged in a L - until we actually walked around in our new house, and saw where the natural walkways were.

• last month

Jan and Ann… You were good to help me put things in perspective. In answer to Jan’s question, one bed and mattress set will probably ship from the mainland to Hawaii, and possibly a table. But, following several house sales and estate sales, there is little left worthy of the space in a shipping container. You are right, of course, that we can make do with outdoor furniture till we have a clearer picture of what would work best. Mahalo!

• PRO
    last month

You can capture (using the Windows Snipping Tool) this graph paper & the sheet of furniture symbols & use them in either Microsoft Paint or Publisher to create rooms. It's all cut and paste.

• last month

How cool looking.

• last month

I’ve finally completed my drawings for the main level of the house, using the suggested graph paper, pencil and straight edge. I’ll admit that they’re not entirely accurate, but they’re a start. I’ll attach them, along with a general schematic for the house from county records, and photos. For now, I’m just concentrating on the main, upper level. I’ll also attach photos. Ignore the staging furniture. Thanks for any thoughts on furnishings and placement.

• PRO
    last month

No clue why anyone wants to sleep under the ac!!!

Move tv to opposite wall

• last month

Thank you, Jan, for your wonderful layout. Two sofas and a couple of chairs make a lot of sense for LR. Do you suggest a regular coffee table or ottoman-as-table in front of couches? The MBR makes much more sense as you have drawn it. Beautiful!

• PRO
    last month

I often butt two tables together!

Same size! Identical. I love when a lot of room for snacks/ drinks drinks/ games !

In general · More Info

Those two above?

each 28”x60”

Bluestone top and bulletproof!

• last month

What a great idea. I’m having fun looking at coffee tables to pair up. The one in the photo is pretty and practical… I’m fascinated by the arrangement in the foyer. Is that a desk and chair just inside the front door?

• PRO
    last month

Just a simple open console in the foyer , add a lamp, and tuck a couple upholstered cube seats below, or a small X bench...

If it is a little lift off top 18 x 18 x 18 cube? It's hide away for flip flops!

60L X 15 0r 18d by 30 - 36 h should fit nicely.....open so you can tuck : )

Also.....your real space for a dining table, and allowing clearances at step down, lanai and island? 5' x 5'

I'd be looking for a round 48 to 54 inches max

or 30 x 60 rectangle and in both cases, make sure chairs w arms tuck under.

I'm sure you will do a lot of OUTdoor dining.

You can do max five at a 48 inch diam, comfortably, and 6 comfortably at a rectangle or 60 inch oval.

no legs allows more

• last month

A great idea. You always find such great photos to illustrate and inspire. Thank you!

• PRO
    last month

Scroll back to my edit just above........the kitchen : )

and always remember to check the OUTDOOR category for those. There are no rules, and as long as no umbrella hole in the table? Fine!

• last month

Thanks so much for the ideas for the DR and island. It’s been so helpful to have some good parameters in searching for furniture. Without your guidance, I would definitely have tried to squeeze to much furniture into the spaces. I really appreciate your knowledge of important things like clearance space.

• PRO
    last month

You are very lucky that Jan has done so much work for you on your home layout. And you are very gracious in your responses!

• last month

You speak true. To me, Jan’s advice is priceless. I feel privileged to have her expert guidance.

• PRO
    last month

You're very, very welcome :)

• 18 days ago

Paint companies offer online Visualizers that allow you to upload your photos and 'paint' the room, or rug companies where you can add rugs under your existing furniture.

You mentioned squeezing in furniture, which is fine if there is no other choice...you need only a minimum of 18 inches to maneuver between pieces.

• PRO
    18 days ago

There’ s no need to squeeze furniiture:)

and the best test of paint is to roll it on a wall.

You narrow down wall colors after you have harmony in rugs and major soft furniture selected.

Meaning…NOT the reverse order!!