SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What to Wear Redux

19 days ago

Thought it might be a good idea to start a new one once we hit 500!

I got, and marched right back, a Tuckernuck scarf. Loved the size but who ever heard of a design on one side? It is like, silkscreened...ridiculous IMHO. BTW you cannot discern this from the photos. I sent them a "tsk tsk" message. I am sure they are convening senior executives now to discuss the issue.

DO NOT BUY:

Next up, I returned the BR dress pants because the color was a weird brownish hue, and the olive ones even worse. I ended up buying two pair of this style from Madewell, one olive and one striped. Size down 2 sizes in these. Mine are still a scooch too big so will need tailoring. Really pretty, feels so airy, and more flattering that I'd have expected. I shall not be pairing mine with a bustier, alas.

https://www.madewell.com/the-harlow-wide-leg-pant-in-100-linen-NJ996.html?dwvar_NJ996_color=WR0379&cgid=apparel-pants-tailored#intcmp='_visnav-1_tailored&start=14

I did get two ribbed tanks from them, like them a lot. One white and one blue as shown below. I will probably wear mine standing straight, though.

I was on my way to shipping the BR pants back when I noticed a BR store near where I was lunching so I returned them in person instead. While there, I saw this and bought it. I am a sucker for sweaters that look like jackets. Wish they had more colors (this, black, ivory).

Lastly, shoes. I wanted something other than my "go to" (a million variations on raffia, rattan, straw and bamboo platform sandals) and needed something dressy-ish in navy . I have mules by Vivaia and I always think I am going to walk out of them so have not been totally sold. I went down a half size, and ordered a pair with a back. Comfy right out of the box and very happy with this look. In fact, I am eyeing the pointy toed slingbacks, too, now.

(not me, no jumping here)

Next up:

Comments (111)

• 6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

I like that dress a lot! I personally am having a hard time finding dresses that are flattering but do NOT have big ruffly sleeves, and I like that this dress doesn't have them. For me personally the jury is still out on puffed sleeves, but I think this one would be worth trying for sure.

Still waiting for the big-ruffle trend to pass. I have found so many tops and dresses that I would like except: big ruffles.

PS I have a dress that a friend talked me into buying in Charleston several years ago. It isn't overly poofy but it is slightly...but I have held onto it because it wasn't cheap, and I keep thinking I'll find the right occasion to wear it. We are going away for a few days and I have packed it, thinking this is a good time to try it -- the weather is right, and I'm not going to see anyone I know so I can see if it feels good to wear it before I have witnesses LOL.

• 6 days ago

Count me in as a ”Yes” for the dress!

I like the color (navy ?) and small print .

Length is great ! I can visualize wearing it as you stated casually with jean jacket and your white sneakers and even to a less conservative funeral or such. I say give it a try!

• Related Discussions

Colonial Redux (see page 103)

Q

Comments (13)
    I recently got a couple of Calico Corners' Provence chairs on Craigslist. I think they have a very similar look even though they're not CR. It's just nice to have an upholstered feeling as to comfort and an unupholstered look for openness. Real 1960's chairs would be smaller, however, and that would be better in my house. Still, they have wonderful thick rush seats that are completely unworn and I didn't have to refinish anything. Although it still seems expensive to have the cushions recovered, the theory is that I could do so more often than I could reupholster a chair. Change is good. Here is a link that might be useful: calico corners provence chair
    ...See More

Would you wear, or do you wear?

Q

Comments (38)
    I hate hats too and living in SD there are times in the winter when I need one but my head itches so bad I cant stand them. As for hair extensions, no I wouldnt. I would never spend that kind of money on it for one thing and it would drive me nuts when my head itches like it does all the time. I worked with a girl who had them. She was half white and half black. She spent a lot of money to have them put in. This was when she was in high school. Then she couldnt afford to have themmaintained so you could always see the little rubber band things in her hair and it really looked stupid. Now she is attending hairdresser college and she has them in again and I still dont like them.So NO not for me.
    ...See More

Pull-down shower screen redux: What can Rube Goldberg do?

Q

Comments (2)
    Without seeing a floorplan, I can't really say but I think it would be easier, if feasible, to have some sort of clear glass shower enclosure that folded against the wall inside the shower and could be pulled out for use, than something hanging down from the ceiling. I don't think it will ever dry, you won't be able to start the shower until you are behind the screen getting blasted with cold water at first, and you won't be able to step in or out of the shower without putting the screen most of the way up. Kind of like having a garage door for a front door. You can open a side hinged door and squeeze in or out or reach in or out for something but if you only open something from the bottom you have to crawl underneath. You may figure out how to do a pull down screen but I think you would find it tedious in a very short period of time. If you really want the look of nothing, maybe you turn the whole thing into a wet room and let the sink and toilet get wet like they do in parts of Europe. (But I would find that tedious too)
    ...See More

Design Around This #24 French Country Redux

Q

Comments (43)
    Roarah, it's nice to see a different spin on the idea. I love the floor and the hood, and especially the light. I'm sure people in Provence update their kitchen too, and some of them must go modern. Sochi, that wallpaper is gorgeous, and the colors tie together nicely. The 1st kitchen April posted is what would be in my ideal vacation rental in Provence. April, I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you said, "so..where is the house? is it a specific house? or an imaginary one? does it exist and if yes where can I see it?" Did you mean the original post? The Design Around This threads are mostly purely theoretical: Design a colonial kitchen, a Craftsman kitchen, a French Country kitchen. Do a kitchen in pink. Use a bold colored tile. Use a piece of artwork as inspiration. Although, one time we did have people pick a specific real estate listing and design a kitchen for that specific house (everyone chose their own listing).
    ...See More
  • 6 days ago

I was just having a conversation with myself this morning-- the big puffy or ruffled or layered sleeves are so not a good look for me but they are everywhere! I tried one from Tuckernuck and it looks ridiculous and emphasizes all the wrong things on my body. I don't even care for tulip sleeves but at least they don't make me look like an old clown!

And thanks for the nudge, Sue! The dress is easily returned so... why no? Hope your dress is perfect for your getaway (where are you going? somewhere fun, I hope!)

• 6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

I like the dress, Funky. It is more subdued then LHP.

I can see if it feels good to wear it before I have witnesses HAHA

Maire, Wow, I never heard of that --- jackets were off until you went to lunch or met a client. Anyway, yes, I ordered a new pair. I'm in my office today and missing them!

• 6 days ago

“…an old clown” LOL

We are just going to Cape Cod, small consolation for missing Italy/Switzerland but we are staying at a pretty posh resort and it shouldn’t be too crazy busy as it’s still (kind of) off season.

• 6 days ago

I really like how you are considering styling this dress - I think that will make it a real winner! Count me in on one who is waiting out the puffy/ruffle sleeve trend. I am still slightly scarred from my DD's dressing room assessment of me in puffy sleeve linen top as a "mature Raggedy Ann doll".

I just got this dress from Madewell and it may be of interest to those looking for summer dresses with regular sleeves (and pockets!). At 5"2, it hits me just above the knee.

Linen Dress

• 6 days ago

Mature Raggedy Ann Doll ... oh my lol.. I do like the madewell dress. I bet it looks great on you. I like their dresses but find they run pretty large. Did you find the same with this one?

Thanks for the feedback on the dress, all ... I ordered it with a promise that I will only keep it if it is super flattering.

I also ordered a top -- I know many of you didnt like it/didnt think it was flattering lol. I decided that since it too is easily returned, I want to give it a try :)

• 5 days ago

I am a big fan of Toad & Co Rosemary dresses, mainly the version with a cap sleeve. I recently got this sleeveless version and love it (even tho my arms should stay under cover, sometimes I just don’t care). I received multiple compliments the first time I wore it.

• 5 days ago

I'm typically an 8/10 and tried on both the Medium and Large in the Madewell linen dress and both fit but I preferred the looseness of the larger size for this heat. I had to order online since the color I wanted was not available in store but we will see if that was the right call when I receive it.

• 5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Funky, I like that navy patterned dress! It is not too prairie-ish AT ALL. Empire waists are good for many shapes (I personally love them), the neck is a pretty and discreet V and the sleeves have just a suggestion of a puff. Very nice! I would wear that dress to church in summer, out to lunch or a club meeting or honestly even at home. That’s a solid any day look IMO.

Rubyclaire, my DD is similarly blunt and occasionally devastating in her sartorial assessments. I like your Madewell linen dress, but it will be a long while before I buy anything else in black!

• 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

One of my fave travel nightgowns (really just a light chemise that doesn't take up too much room but makes me presentable if I have room service LOL) was ruined in the wash somehow so I am looking for new ones for our trip.

This is a new brand for me, Cosabella? but I liked some of their patterns and a lot of their plain with piping.

This is Natori. I have a feeling I am channeling a drapery desire into a chemise, but WTH.

• 2 days ago

Oh those are both beautiful-- very different but both beautiful and I love the colors!

This is something I dont have in my wardrobe .. lots of pajamas but that's it. Thinking I need something light and pretty for my trip (though room service is unlikely unless by some miracle, SO wakes up before me LOL)

• 2 days ago

The ones you’ve pictured are lovely—even romantic getaway worthy— but I would still wear a robe over them in the presence of room service. Mind, I am still slightly uncomfortable in a non plunging V neck

!I always take a thin short Eileen Fisher robe when traveling by plane and a longer one if by car and space is not an issue. PJs on a non romantic getaway are Danskin leggings and soft tees that I could wear in a pinch if I HAD to. Only more intimate trips rate gowns 😎

• 2 days ago

I bought this sleepshirt in 2018 and have carried it on most trips since. It is only used when there is air travel involved in the trip. I can wash it in the sink in the morning and by bedtime, it is dry. After the trip, it is washed in the washer in a lingerie bag and hung to dry.

• 2 days ago

I’ve fallen down the silk sleepshirt rabbit hole….

https://silksilky.com/products/pure-silk-stripe-print-long-sleeve-nightshirt-p1628?pr_prod_strat=jac&pr_rec_id=07944b34a&pr_rec_pid=8465970987260&pr_ref_pid=8044576276732&pr_seq=uniform

I like this striped one but… I know nothing about the seller; they do not list the momme; and the description refers to elasticity even though it is 100% silk.

• 2 days ago

Ok I started reading these last few posts backwards and somehow got the idea that you all were changing into nighties ON THE PLANE.

• 2 days ago

Backtracking to my earlier post from a few days ago…I finally wore the dress in public and no one was pointing and laughing. It does still seem nightgown-ish to me but like pj’s, it is soo comfy. And hides the effects of 4 days of restaurant meals.

• 2 days ago

Sue, that fabric is really pretty! I like the dress but I think you are too skinny for it. I would have it taken in.

KSWL, I would probably wear a robe over them too, but I would not wear a robe without a nightgown. I like to be a little more dressed up when I am on vacation, hence the new nightgowns.

I do change on planes, but into PJs (for overnight flights). I have a pair of lightweight yoga pants and an oversized dark sweathshirt top so I can remove my bra. : ) I wait till they turn off the cabin lights and then contort in the bathroom. Really appreciate those few planes that have larger restrooms and even a bench of sorts in some cabins.

Meanwhile I am eyeing more Vivaia shoes. Right now I have black mule style block heels and navy pointy toe heels. I am thinking of these for my trip, only because they are so comfy.

• 2 days ago

BBstx I love that sleepshirt, so cute.

Meanwhile I am looking for tops to go with my new black linen pants. It turns out I have a lot of black for fall/winter but 95% of my summer wardrobe is white with blue stripes, 75% of it is blue with white stripes, and the other 50% is either solid white or solid blue. 😉

So far finding exactly nothing between Anthro, Tuckernuck, J McLaughlin, J Crew, RL, Banana Republic, etc etc. The puff sleeve ruffle epidemic needs to stop. I may have to just go with a tan or white shirt, belted.

Last night I fell asleep on my latptop while looking for clothes.

• 2 days ago

Don’t forget Quince and Johnny Was. Lands End and LLBean have some linen. Uniqlo is hit or miss. How do you feel about Lilly Pulitzer silk tops?

• 2 days ago

I bought a Lilla P button up cotton gauze shirt earlier this year. I love it so much I ordered two more in other colors.

Mtn, I have never been ”too skinny” for anything ever in my life. You are now my BFF.

• 2 days ago

BBTSX, I did forget to look at Quince and JW. JW is usually too OTT for me, but then I always feel dowdy in Lands End and LLBean, IDK why... I like it on other people. I love Lily but they are not much help with black linen pants as a base.

Instead I was drawn to this. I think I would look like a settee in it

• 2 days ago

Bryn Walker designs are sometimes too out there for my taste but I like their basics.

I have this top in a few colors, but in linen. Have no idea what Pacificotton is? Sizes run large.

Bryn Walker also available at Dillards.

• 2 days ago

Ok, I have several contenders on their way to me, for my black linen pants. I think I woul pair them with a straw belt. It won't be hot (Scandinavia)

• 2 days ago

I think maybe the dress is too "full" Sue?

I will not, do not, can not, sleep in sleeves! I always have a robe when traveling, and I much prefer gowns. Short gowns, I don't like fabric bunching up around my legs. I prefer a chemise style, sleeveless or straps. I will wear pj bottoms, but I am very particular about them and usually wear them with a tank style/cami type top. Hmmm I guess I am picky about what I sleep in!

• 2 days ago

I agree about long gowns, very annoying to sleep in

• 2 days ago

I don't sleep in pajamas or gowns unless I am staying with family. They are more for lounging in the hours before bed or in the very start of the morning with coffee. That gives me a lot more freedom of choice.

Sue I love the design of your dress but agree that you are too skinny for it-- I think a few well placed nips and tucks would show off your figure. That said, sometimes it is just nice to have a loose, oversized dress. I have a few from Free People that do nothing for my figure but are so easy and comfy they are perfect for a hot day or when I don;t GAF.

Love the pink toile 1/4 zip-- is that Lilly P? I have been loving that style for cool mornings/evening.

Also loving the button downs, Mtn -- especially the last one.

I am still waiting on my new purchases that I shared above-- apparently held up due to severe weather somewhere between CA and Midwest.

• 2 days ago

I did get a new MZ wallace crossbody sling in a light gray. I don't typically wear it prominently on the front as shown but more to the side resting under my arm and just above my hip. This has become my perfect go-to casual bag so that justified getting it in another color.

Crosby Sling - Pebble

Note: this style works great for both my niece and I (we are both +/- 5'6"). It doesn't work at all for my sister who is 3-4" shorter and bustier.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • 2 days ago

Yes, it’s LP. It’s so happy!

• 2 days ago

Funky, I was admiring a bag in that same shape at the hotel we stayed at this week — a woman was carrying it, I didn’t see it in a store, so I don‘t know the brand, but it was a woven leather in a pretty green.

ETA ha, found it. Of course I liked it!

https://www.clarev.com/products/grande-fanny-grass-woven-checker?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg7jUqqPehgMVLWBHAR1ohQU1EAQYAyABEgJzLvD_BwE

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • 2 days ago

I have ivory square toed Vivaia pumps (that are not quite as comfortable as I had hoped) and a pair of cream ballet flats that are very comfy. When they had a surprise sale I bought the clip on bows in four colors as well as tortoiseshell clip on buckles, so with those two neutrals I have tons of cute options for summer outfits. I also have a pair of black and ivory spectator type flats from Vivaia that I have worn on repeat with black slacks.

I am steadfastly trying not to click on any links because I do not need any more clothes! Especially not the dresses I ordered last night 🙄

• yesterday

Kswl,

ruh roh but we need to see them! Do they buckles irritate one's foot at all? You did say "tortoise shell" which triggers me.

Sue I love that color purse for summer. My fanny does need any more "packing" so that style is a not, but otherwise love it.

• yesterday

Love that bag, Sue!

Mtn... these style bags can be worn as fanny bags but also crossbody. Again, I don't wear them upfront but rather more to the side.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Good Lord I would not add a pack to my fanny either. This cute young thing was wearing it kind of like the pic Funky posted, but more toward her back.

• yesterday

@mtnrdredux_gw have you looked at Gretchen Scott for a blouse? Is this the thread where someone was looking for cruisewear? Was it Annie Deighnaugh? Gretchen Scott would be a good source for that too.

I’m considering this blouse in black for a cruise in January. I think with black pants, it could pass for dressy attire.

https://www.gretchenscottdesigns.com/tprnsl-jersey-ruffneck-top

• yesterday

That is a very cute top Bbstx, and would look great with black or white slacks. i looked at it in white and it looks completely different. I think the black and hot pink are the best options. It’s the kind of thing I would love to wear, buy, and never wear because of my weirdness about necklines ☹️

• yesterday

They make it in a dress too. I have a friend who is even more fuller figured than I am. She has the dress in hot pink and it looks terrific on her!

• yesterday

Bbstx I looked through their dresses and there is a plaid one i MUST have. The size chart looks a bit different than what i am used to and the dress is a final sale. Can you tell me if their clothes are all proprietary designs? if so i could trust the size chart much more than if they were buying other companies’ merchandise from different manufacturers.

adding, do you find the bust and waist measurements accurate?

• 23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

Gretchen Scott is pretty popular in my area -- a local boutique used to (may still) carry some of her pieces. So many of her patterns are so joyous! Kswl, I do believe her designs are proprietary but I can't speak to the fit/sizing.

I have been stretching a bit lately-- I don't need anything so I am taking this time to try pieces I wouldn't have bought as "staples" or obvious selections. I have had a few fails but I have also found some new styles that work better than I expected. Love that. Along the way though, I have been veering away from patterns. I am also sticking closer to neutrals (with a few items in neon lol. Black, natural, white and neon pink or neon green. Crazy, I know!). Not sure why ... maybe subconsciously I don't want to stand out so much? (doubtful lol refer to my love of neon colors). Anyhow, this is why i am sharing this dress for you input also ... It just makes me happy. I love the colors and the pattern-- just not sure I want to actually wear them. It is going to be a very hot week ... I have casual dinner plans for two evenings this week and a casual retirement party coming up. What do you think of the dress for any of the above?

Note: it is 51" long so will be longer on me than the model..

• 23 hours ago

Love that dress, funky!

I wore a wildly (for me) patterned casual sundress yesterday and got complimented by 2 strangers. The best part is that I got it at a consignment shop, cheap!

• 23 hours ago

KSWL, is this by any chance the dress at Halsbrook? https://www.halsbrook.com/catalog/product/136464

Halsbrook allows returns unless the item is marked ”Final Sale.” I don’t see Final Sale on this one, but I’d double check.

I know nothing about how Gretchen Scott fits. I have never bought any of her clothing.

• 23 hours ago

No, I went from Halsbrook to Gretchen Scott:

This would be a great Christmas event dress for me. I have at least five or six daytime lunches, teas and events with the grands and several semi dressy cocktail parties this would be perfect for. I’ve got a forest green dress and a red one and plaid velvet slacks that are all about the same level of occasion, and it would be nice to have another dress in the ”smart casual” mix. This one could be accessorized to a higher level with the right shoes and jewelry and a cashmere wrap. I’d be a six by the numbers but it is final sale. It’s 60% off though and i would have bought it at full price so I may buy two sizes and donate the one that doesnt fit.

• 23 hours ago

Why don’t you call customer service and see if they will make an exception since you are new to Gretchen Scott? Or is the same style available but not on sale? One you could order for size and then return?

• 22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

I will call tomorrow and ask, although their policy seems very straightforward. The final sale items cannot be purchased with any kind of code for a discount, even for new customer/ email subscriber, or with a promotion of any kind like free shipping, etc. The dress comes in three different plaids and they’re all on sale, but that’s the one! I have cute red velvet flats that are dying to meet that dress 😎 Thank you so much for posting the blouse that led me to it!

• 11 hours ago
    last modified: 10 hours ago

Funky I missed the dres you posted yesterday. I think it is lovely and the colors would be a nice complement to slightly tanned skin. But I completely get trying to be more careful and realistic about what you buy! I still have clothes (and still buy them) that I like and are pretty but do nothing for me and I STILL look at the clothes in the mirror instead of the package deal! Try the dress and see— you may love it! If it is longer on you than pictured I’d have it hemmed as the proportions look just right.

The plaid dress I posted is my favorite silhouette and the kind of dress that looks best on me, as it gives the suggestion of a waist, is slim fitting and has my preferred round neckline. And the sleeves, of course — I do not get why some people considr me 3/4 sleeves frumpy. Do any of you?

• 8 hours ago

Thank you, Sue and Kswl. I did order it-- but still on the fence. I do think the coloring will work well for me but it will all come down to the fit. The dress comes in regular and petite sizes also but I show it in plus size to be more realistic on how it will fit on me. Even if I went into regular sizes (I didnt on this one), the plus size proportions are closer to mine. I think it will come down to how full the skirt is ... when perfect it will hide flaws, when too much it accentuates them.

Kswl, I really like 3/4 sleeves. I don't like fussing with how my sleeves fit under a sweater/jacket/coat and they showcase my bracelets. But ... frumpy or not depends on how they handle the 3/4 sleeves. I like them to be close to my arm... i have seen a few lately that are 3/4 but wide-- I don't find them modern or flattering.

I need to get in touch with my friend who owns the local boutique that sells/sold gretchen scott (placing some christmas orders lol). Not sure I will be able to reach her today but if so, I will ask her about sizing. I don't think I have a # to text her or I'd have reached out already -- I'll let you know if I get any helpful info.

• 8 hours ago

Thank you Funky, that would be helpful!

• 5 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

Funky, that dress looks like fun. I agree that the fullness of a skirt can veer from flattering to very unflattering and make or break a dress.

BBSTX, have you ever bought from Gretchen Scott? I wonder about quality and sizing, too. The brand has a certain (over)exuberance like Lily P and also reminds me of a brand I had a few shirts from, Dizzie Lizzie. The DL shirts are all button down and use contrasting patterns on the body and the plackets/cuff. Mine were a little less loud than the ones I see now. Here is a DL:

This GS outfit, which is way OTT to me, is a mash up of LP and DL.

But there are other GS shirts that are quite a bit quieter. I like the nice detailing on these: (ooh scallops!)

Among the patterns, GS has another DL- style top. Might be too loud for me but I am looking for a summer shirt for black linen pants.

I also liked one of the GS tunics but I went thru a very intense tunic phase a decade or so ago and not sure if I am allowed to buy one again yet.

• 1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

Thanks for restarting this thread, just purchased the Madewell tanks (although I have no business being here, I should be working on my kitchen layout—shameless plug if anyone is kind enough to chime in).

I was just in Charleston and popped into a GS boutique—it's nice quality and seems very travel friendly. I also like J.McLaughlin. I just ordered this dress, it's a cotton blend and hopefully won't be too wrinkled. They also have some GS type tops... maybe a bit less ruffle and some quieter patterns.

ETA links, since they only turn green above when you scroll over.

J.McLaughlin

Layout thread