SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1maps

Don't use spray-on masking film for painting window & door trim!

27 days ago

My "professional painter" (as well as several other "professional painters" who bid on my job) said that the new and better way of painting window and door trim was to spray on a masking film, spray- paint the area, then remove the film from the glass. I've seen other homes in my area done this way, so I went ahead with it. We have leaded-glass inserts in the front door, which clouded up badly after the first strong rainstorm we had after the painting was completed -- as shown in the first photo (taken from the inside). I thought they had broken a seal on the windows, allowing buildup of moisture inside. When I took a closer look from the outside, these are only single-pane glass inserts, and the painters had failed to remove the spray-on masking film on several areas of glass. I peeled off one or two of the areas, and the result is what's shown on the second photo (taken from the outside). It appears to me that they basically sprayed a film around all doors and windows, spray-painted the film, and then carefully removed the film from only the glass. I think that I spent $$$ to have the job done this way, which really is not protecting the wood frames at all. (That bubble near the center bottom of the window insert is probably also the film?) Question for our professional painters: am I correct in my conclusion? I'll be calling my painter to come and properly paint at least the front door, and I'd like some confirmation of my conclusion. Thank you so much for any input!

Comments (4)