SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thefof

Secular cypress trees in Villa D'Este. Tivoli gardens, Rome

Hey guys

Does anyone know which species of cypress these ancient trees are.

All I can find, online is that they are "secular cypress", but that means nothing to me.

As far as I can determine this is one of the 2, still surviving, of the original planting, circa 17th century.

TIA

Fof

Comments (9)

• last month
    last modified: last month

Assume they're Cupressus sempervirens. https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/ita/lazio/roma/18957_villadeste/

I'm consulting my Roman son in law.

thefof Zone 8/9 UK thanked floraluk2
  • last month

Thanks floral

I think you are correct.

I wonder why the are refered to as "secular cypress", as the Villa and Gardens were build by and for high ranking clergy.

• last month

The phrase seems common on Italian sites. I think they just mistranslated it into English. Awaiting a response.

• last month

OK. The results are in. He says it's because it's been around for 'secoli' or centuries. Nothing to do with 'secular'. I've seen similar trees elsewhere in Rome. Just really old C. sempervirens.

• last month

Brilliant, floral

Not in Rome. Sitting at home in Kernow, reviewing some past images.

Fof

• last month

Oh, bad luck. Although Cornwall must be lovely too.

• 26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Back again! I was also looking through pix and found this.

Read the label! Coincidence.

• 26 days ago

Nice one, floral.

Did some additional searching and found many sites mentioning "Secular" trees, all of which are ancient. eg Secular trees of Italy

Quote from Mirriam Webster dictionary:

In contemporary English, "secular" is primarily used to distinguish something (such as an attitude, belief, or position) that is not specifically religious or sectarian in nature, but, going back to its early Latin root, the word also means "occuring once in an age or a century," "existing or continuing through ages or centuries," and "of or relating to a long term of indefinite duration." These uses of "secular" are common in the fields of science and economics -- "secular oak trees" or "secular inflation," for example.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars280 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz