SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anj_p

Advice for Plants around Patio & Deck?

anj_p
16 days ago

Hi all,

I would like to add a couple large planters/potted arrangements around our patio, and maybe some flower boxes or potted plants up on our deck. We live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Are zone 5a. I am fine with perennials or annuals. This space faces south and slightly east, so we get sun from sunrise until maybe 4 PM on the edges of the patio, 5 PM on the deck. The back of patio might get a little morning sun but is mostly shaded (the pics below were taken at 1:30 PM).

I would welcome ideas (plants or otherwise) for under the window on the patio.

I plan on getting a narrow counter height table for the patio for additional dining/food prep space but that's going to be polywood and we're waiting a bit to buy it.

Our current landscaping is very young so needs to grow up a bit to fill the space. We're not looking to add anything more in the ground. I'm just not good at visualizing/arranging this stuff and don't want to spend a bunch of money on pots & plants and have it look haphazard. I also do not have green thumbs, so I cannot manage finicky plants. They WILL die if I touch them.

I was also considering putting something on the big blue wall on the deck but it would have to be fairly narrow as that's the walkway to the stairs.

Appreciate any and all ideas!

TIA!

Comments (21)