SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

What do you use as a salad bowl?

last month

Wood, glass, plastic? It should be easy to clean, large enough to toss a big salad with dressing, and pretty.

Comments (78)

• last month

Large glass salad bowl from Germany. I'm surprised it never got broken in all these years. Bought in the mid 1980s. I don't use it much anymore because it's just me and I make my salads just big enough for me now, most of the time.

• last month
    last modified: last month

After seeing Funkart's post I went to Ikea and looked at the Blanda and they are nice looking. They have them in 3 different materials (and 3 different sizes) and I like the bamboo. But IDK how bamboo holds up as a bowl?

• Related Discussions

What's in your fall salad bowl?

Q

Comments (5)
    With snow predicted on about 8 of the following 10 days, we are still harvesting parsley, kale, and bits and pieces of a square planted with some "spicy mesclun". We are just outside Ottawa, the capital of Canada. I have spotted Johnny Jump ups and scented violets, both purple and pink. We even have California poppies and a couple of rosebuds! Is this global warming....?
    ...See More

About those sinks that look like salad bowls

Q

Comments (4)
    I just began using my first vessel sink in my master bath. I didn't intend to have one, but when shopping for sinks...well...sigh...I fell in love. So now I have one. It is fine for toothbrushing, handwashing and everything else I've had to use it for. The usual stuff.I am not a "splash water on my face to wash and rinse, though, I use a facecloth. I wonder if because of the angles involved that water wouldn't end up running down your arms and dripping off your elbows. Also, you have to be careful about the new heights most vanities are these days. Depending on your height, the countertop height, the height of the sides of the sink, etc. you could end up feeling like you are face down in your sink when you are fully erect. Bending over it could be a problem. My cabinets were custom, so we adjusted for the sink, but it was complicated getting it right. I do love that it is glass because nothing seems to stick to it, water spots don't show; it rinses clean as a whistle. Clean enough to serve salad. I've read here that they are trendy and if not already out of fashion, soon will be dated. But I don't care; I love how it looks and I'm old enough that I'll likely be dead before it equals the pink tiled bathrooms of yesteryear.
    ...See More

what do you like on your taco salad?

Q

Comments (11)
    Around here they make a different kind of Taco Salad for large gatherings. 1 lb ground beef 1 onion, chopped 1 pkg taco seasoning 1 can kidney beans small can olives 1 chopped tomato 1 head lettuce, shredded 1 large bag Dorito's - Nacho flavor, crushed 1 bottle Catalina or Thousand Island dressing 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Brown hamburger and onion. Add taco seasoning according to mix directions. In a LARGE bowl mix seasoned beef, beans, olives, and tomato. Right before serving, mix in lettuce, Doritos, and cheese. This is really good and is great for a crowd.
    ...See More

What do you like in your salad?

Q

Comments (23)
    We eat lots of salads. About half the time it is the main course. It's a "build your own" affair, with all of the veggies in separate bowls, sort of buffet style. DH sometimes grills meat to cut into the salad. Other times he cooks ground turkey, chicken, or beef with a package of taco seasoning mix and tops with cheese. After building our salad, a huge scoop of this goes on top. Then my choice of fat-free dressing (they're a lot tastier than they were in the old days). I can eat a HUGE bowl of this and still lose weight. I like a bowl bigger than my salad so I can mix everything up. He calls it my "Jethro" bowl, LOL.
    ...See More
  • last month

Well, they make bamboo floors and fences, so I would think bowls would be ok for durability.

• last month

For a personal meal, I use these pasta bowls that are part of my everyday use dishes.

They are about 9” in diameter.

• last month

Nice bowls, Fun and kathsgarden.

I have a lot of bowls and have my faves for sy breadmaking. I think I might now be in a bowl rut, I am using those pasta bowls for nearly everything.

I do have a nice maple salad bowl but cannot locate it now. I think the last time I saw it, it had wool yarn in it or was eloping with some flow blue plates.

• last month

I love wood — button, nickels, floors, heads,

A few weeks ago, I was looking through some old cooking mags and saw an add for a wooden bowl maker. forgot the name, but magazine is ~ 15 years old.

Looking online, I came across some interesting links.

https://www.vtbowls.com

https://andrewpearcebowls.com

https://bowlmill.com

They are so lovely. Maybe I will buy another if I cannot locate the one that eloped.

I think some of these items WOOD make nice wedding gifts.

https://andrewpearcebowls.com/collections/popular-wedding-gifts/products/4-6-person-willoughby-round-with-ridge-wooden-bowl?variant=32015202320453

• last month

Used to be wood. Now that bowl is reserved for popcorn.

I prefer glass for salads.

• last month

Across our road is a huge tree that the power company cut down.

DH has a chainsaw, and we have a tablesaw and a radio alarm saw, my husband is not a woodworker and he is not loaded with a lot of motivation to do anything like this. But maybe I can find a woodworker that would be willing to make me some simple things. Rustic, not fancy.

It is Going to take a lot of nagging, nagging, nagging and reminding and persuading to get my DH to even cut out and drag part of the wood across the road to our yard.

Maybe he would prefer I just go and buy something really nice from an expensive woodworker, already made.

I wonder if the board above is one piece, or glue sections.

• last month

radio alarm saw

Radial arm? I would never correct you but the thought of how a radio alarm saw might work made me laugh.

• last month

Why do you have wood working tools, like a radial arm saw, if neither you nor your husband use them?

• last month

I use small individual bowls. My husband and I like different things in our salads.

• last month

" I would never correct you but the thought of how a radio alarm "

I didn't see your post when I was trying to suggest the proper approach indirectly by using it in my own sentence, to escape an attack of peanut shells from the peanut gallery. You just went for it

• last month

I have a collection of MCM walnut salad bowls from the 1960s, some of which I bought on eBay, along with matching individual bowls. I was going to give one set to my niece when she got married, but she let us know that she did not want gifts like that, and so I just kept it. My favorite one looks like this,

and I bought this bowl for my mother in 1968, along with six individual bowls. After she died, I took the individual bowls. My SIL had already taken the serving bowl, but I was able to buy an identical one.

I bought one set of beautiful individual bowls on eBay that had a very bad lacquer finish, and so I stripped off the finish and oiled them with food-grade mineral oil. I got them for cheap because of the bad finish, but they look like new now.

I also have a collection of wooden African serving utensils (fork & spoon). One set has giraffes, one has zebras, and the others have black and white geometric decorations.

• last month

Lars, were you in Africa? I think it is mandatory to come back with those spoons. I have zebras.

• last month

(Thought the better of it and deleted!)

• last month

Jilly, I love those WM bowls!

• last month

I was composing a response, but this Houss page burped and I lost it all.

Thanks for catching that, typo, Lucille 🤣 Although we might be more ”radio” saw people.

I try to type, but between the autocorrect, sore body, lousy reading glasses and discomfort, it takes forever and there are still lots of goofs.

Elmer, we have a lot of tools, many bought for cheap, or inherited. Non talent. I am a tad 3-D challenged, and puny with a small frame, aches and pains. I am motivated.

DH not particularly motivated. Wish he were.

Chain saws, Hand saws, bow saws, pruning saws, pole saw. Jacknives.

Circular saw, oldish saber saw/“jig saw” vertical saw.

Random orbital sander, Electric drill, battery operated drill.

A huge monster robust older table saw that our builder used and we bough from him for some reason. It scares the becheeses out of me and is loud. DH had used it a bit, but is not versed in table saw use. I wanted to get my late father,s little Craftsman table saw, and deserved it for taking care of him and my mom during their final days and hours, but an older sibling pulled a greedy stunt and grabbed it for her kid. I was thinking the smaller Table saw wouldn’t hurt as much if it took my arm off.

We nave a good sized radial arm saw that (for some reason, dreaming) we bought from my dad Over 20 years ago. Dad cautioned to be very careful as that sort of saw was expert at removing arms.

It is in a corner of the cellar and I never used it and don’t know that DH ever has.

A plane or two. Some chisel/s

An electric grinder

A level, one of those right angle carpenter’s ruler things

Maybe a speed square?

I grew up around certain wood working tools, but my father was usually in a rush to fix something and there were no real teachable moments other than warnings to not attempt to use or tinker with his tools.

DH grew up more with mechanical tools, but his father was not the patient teaching type. DH gravitated towards mathematics and engineering and computer science.

He used to do things for us like tune up cars. Once, after asking, begging, nagging him to make a simple hanging rack (in cellar, from floor joists) so that we could get various lumber and sailboats spars off the floor or out of the corner —— I think it took three to five years of asking, begging. I explained how he could do it, that if I had his height and arm strength, I would have done it. Geez! Two sets of pine sticks hanging perpendicular to the joists, about 5 or 6 ft. apart, screwed in, two places so no pivoting. Fasten a couple of pieces to each set of hangers in order ro support wood lumber, planks or spars. CHEESES! Grrrr. He wouldn’t even try and I remember just calling it quits and driving off to do something else and thinking how I could do it but I’d have to get up on a ladder or some staging and then have enough energy and arm strength to hold the drill as I was holding the timber pieces I wanted to fasten.

When I returned after about three hours, he came up to me apologizing and told me he didn’t know why he was so anxious about doing such a simple thing and then he had looked online or YouTube and thought about it and had made a nice little rack very solid very nice very quick very easy. So who knows what all the catastrophe was about but I think he wasn’t confident and was somehow afraid he would screw it up.

He can write a couple of USB drivers in short order and various other software projects and other things. untangled software create new software and run projects, but this simple thing with a couple of toothpicks and a nail and hammer flummoxed him.

At a later date, he made another hanging lumber rack. But that was years ago and for the last 18 years, I can’t say that he’s particularly motivated or ambitious about anything. I need to find some way to put a couple of probes in his head and see if he’s cooked enough because he doesn’t even wanna help clean anything or organize anything and he drives me bonkers.

He’s usually a good natured person and will cook and grocery shop and pay bills and fiddle around with software and electronic devices.

I’ve been asking him to help me, put the cupboard doors on for years now. I took them off to refinish them, but had some injuries and was in

/still am in a lot of pain and when I would grasp anything like a block of sandpaper, grasping, and with my hand would a get a certain type of tendinitis that was very, very painful. I could do a little bit, but quickly developed very, very painful to De Quervain tendinitis that feels as though my tendons are being held next to a blowtorch. The pain lasts for days and even blowing my nose into a hanky hurts.

These days, I cannot get DH to do much of anything and feel like I need to sort of keep minding him. That is another huge ongoing situation. Stressful.

I grew up with a lots of hands-on resourceful people. I am that way and somewhat enterprising. Injuries and pain have greatly impacted what I can do.

We buy cut and split firewood, ~ $300/ cord these days. So it irks me to see good firewood logs rotting across the road from us and DH being so disinclined. Unmotivated? He says he’s not depressed. I’m not sure that he would know.

• last month

With typical week day dinners, I make two individual salads in single serving bowls. DH and I don't necessarily want exactly the same ingredients in our salads. He likes cheeses (different kinds but mostly blue) in his and black olives, I like fresh tomato, sometimes red onion in mine and he doesn't eat an uncooked tomato. No, I don't know why.

For larger salads I have wooden bowls. Also glass, porcelain, china. I have one vintage plastic tightly lidded bowl where I've taken salad ingredients individually zip locked including the dressing and tossed, dressed on my SILs boat, worked well and prep space in such short supply there.

I loved the wooden bowl on its own serving stand above and don't believe I've ever seen one for in home use. Now I want one!

• last month

I tend to make chop salads as SO prefers them and just divvy them up on our plates, as I plate our food each meal. For a large party, I have a big Mason Cash mixing bowl. I use it for lots of things. Biscuit making, various non salad "salads" (potato, chicken etc.) and it works well for regular green salads too. And, IMO, for sure meets your "pretty" requirement. (That is also a strict requirement for MY kitchen)

• last month

I likefriday, what an unusual salad bowl set up. Not for me, however, as the sald would be all over the floor as I was attempting to move it to a plate.

And, okay, Friday, you have me imagining that your huge wooden peppermill has its own dolly or handtruck and two people are needed to get the ground pepper onto a diner’s plate. Perhaps it pivots.

Anyone can correct me any time. Just be sweet when you discuss my ratty sneakers.

• last month

Dang - that's a lot of replies!

Skipping down to answer - stainless steel, mostly. If it's served for a special meal, I have a number of decorative Pyrex and ceramic bowls. I usually make a big, undressed green salad that lasts us a couple/few days.

P.S. Now that I've read it all, I'm seriously impressed at the array of shop tools/machinery you have, petalique, and so sorry you're not able to make use of them the way you'd like to.

• last month

Now that it's just 2 of us, I tend to chop and spin salad greens and refrigerate them in a covered metal bowl - they stay crisp and fresh for many days and I can add other things to them for the salad du jour. I make individual salads to accompany a meal for us in ceramic bowls, usually. Sometimes if it's a main side to a steak, I put the salad on the side of our steak platters.

I use a footed trifle bowl for 7-layer-salad when I have an occasion to make one. Jilly - I have that same salad bowl from World Market for neighborhood potlucks and picnics - it's a conversation piece

• last month

Whatever can go in the dishwasher. I am incredibly lazy.

• last month

Just be sweet when you discuss my ratty sneakers.

• last month

We're in lazy mode for many things too, but...... vigorously tossing a salad in a large enough bowl not only distributes the constituent pieces evenly but also allows for the use of less salad dressing. Because it gets spread around more evenly than simply stirring in a bowl or plate can do.

• last month

For just the 2 of us, i keep washed salad greens in a covered stainless bowl and use them as needed in individual bowls or plates. I have a big wooden bowl and a pretty clear acrylic bowl I use for large salads.

• last month

my eight cup pyrex measuring cup

• last month

Great, Lucillle! I love those. How did you do that?

• last month

Outside - I discovered the stainless bowl storage a few years ago and it's amazing how crisp and fresh the greens last. Even if I just buy a small container of "pre-washed" leafy greens enough for two salads I rinse and spin them then put them in a metal bowl for an hour or so before serving.

• last month

mtnrdredux_gw, I've not been to Africa, but I used to go to the African Expo in Los Angeles, held every year around Labor Day.

There are some spoons in this photo, and I have some that are similar to those.

• last month

he doesn't eat an uncooked tomato. No, I don't know why.

It's a thing. My DH also won't eat raw tomatoes but loves them cooked (pasta sauce, etc).

I had no idea until I met him, but there is actually a large number of people that absolutely hate raw tomatoes but love cooked ones.

DH claims they are part of the deadly nitrate family and cooking kills the poison. Whatever, just give me all the raw tomotoes. Love them.

• last month

Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family. I think nitrate was a typo, but not sure. Peppers, eggplant, and potatoes are also part of the nightshade family. So are belladonna, mandrake, henbane... and we smoke one, tobbaco. Others too. Nightshade is the old name, many gardeners now prefer to use the current name, Solanaceae. Some nightshades have pretty much all poison, some have poison and edible parts. Potatoes are edible till exposed to light and turn green- that greening indicates solanine buildup happening.

The stuff in tomato fruits that causes issues for many folks is solanine. It's heat stable to 392 degrees F. Most pasta sauces aren't heated high enough to break the solanine. White tomatoes are supposed to have the lowest levels of it. Solanine and tomatine (the other toxin in tomato fruits) are higher when tomatoes are green, and drop considerably as they turn ripe.

And mmmm, nightshades. I'm making a batch of potato salad today to go with grilling out this weekend since it is suposed to be nice. I have a large ceramic bowl with a lid I will be using for that salad. I pulled it out along with the picking bowl. It's a nice big plastic tub with a collander insert and lid. Greens are popping up in the gardens so it's time to start harvesting.

• last month

Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family. I think nitrate was a typo, but not sure.

I'm sure you're correct. Not a typo. Just my ignorance. I just stopped listening to it many years ago :-) Yeah, yeah, just give them to me!

• last month

I do not make big bowls of salad I either plate them or I make a salad bar.

• last month

I love potato salads.

• last month

Me too, petalique! That is, good, properly seasoned potato salads. It’s so easy to do, yet so often they lack that flavor zip.

• last month

Got from Amazon. The largest one is great for a big salad, or potato salad. It's hard for me to get used to glass. I am about the last hold out on big Tupperware bowls. Loved them.

• last month

I like to do potato salad a day or two before because then the taters can suck up the goo and if it needs a second goo I can do so. Same day salad is good, but not as good as if you give it time. I did this batch with a bit of horseradish and dilly mustard :)

• last month

@Petalque

Lol. I don't know how I missed your comment. The bowl has a deep ridge on the bottom that fits into a deep groove on the stand base. Its not tipping over. I love the idea of huge salt and pepper mills. I'm thinking along the lines of at least 24" tall. I envision them on top of my otr microwave. It has no cabinet above it. I think I will look for some today.

Right now I'm off to see if I can find your sneakers 😊

• last month

FWIW, a trick I Iearned when working at a local, madly popular breakfast & lunch restaurant is to toss the hot cooked & cut up potatoes with a couple of Tablespoons of vinegar first, then continue with the rest of the ingredients.

• last month

“…is to toss the hot cooked & cut up potatoes with a couple of Tablespoons of vinegar first…”

Exactly.…makes all the difference. It was something I learned from my MIL long ago. Also, liberally salted boiling water. I know we all have different tastes when it comes to potato salad. However, potatoes still need more seasoning than some people think, at least based on some potato salads I’ve had.

• last month
  • last month

I'm not a sneakers kind of girl but if I were the rats would be it! I think they would be great with jeans.

• last month

For large salads

For individual salads. Crate and Barrel Hue bowls

• last month

ladypat1, I love those Pyrex bowls! Have half a dozen along with the Simply Store bowls.

• last month

I went to Aldi's this morning for groceries. Each Aldi's store has the so-called 'Aisle of Shame' where they sell random stuff. I found a giant rubberwood salad bowl. I don't know anything about rubberwood but I'll see how it goes. It is bigger than I really need but it probably doesn't take much more time to clean than a more moderate size. And I like to toss salads and not have a glop of dressing just sitting on top.

• last month

Kitch4me, looks like mine are very similar. The four shallow bowls are from a ”pasta” set that includes a large white serving bowl. The set came from Wms Sonoma years ago.

• last month

@chloebud, I too have the smaller cabbage bowls like yours. Along with plates, mugs etc. I used them when I use to host Easter. I also have a very large off white serving bowl. We have similar taste. 😂

• last month

Kitch4me, yes, similar taste!😁 The cabbage bowl is 12” wide and larger than it might look. I don’t have any small ones. This pic shows the large pasta serving bowl with the smaller bowls. The serving bowl is 13” and the 4 bowls are 10”. Definitely good sizes for pasta or salad.

• last month

After I broke one of my newer little Mikasa bowls, I realzed I also had the little individual bowls that matched the big one I posted. I think I still have one somewhere but not sure where it is. The rest are long gone. I had forgotten about them.