SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

RTR, BB and Frankie Report

Kswl
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

It’s an acronym lollapalooza! Today I received several clothing orders and am very happy to report that everything is as good or better than expected, everything fits and nothing is going back .

First, Rent the Runway: I ordered a RL white cotton and linen blazer that was previously a rental item. Never having rented from them I was unsure of the condition in which the blazer would arrive. After reading about their laundry facility I was willing to chance it and hoped the garments for sale would get the same treatment as they do between rentals. The blazer was wrinkled, of course, but spotless and in perfect condition; it looks new! It fit beautifully and will be a great spring addition to my wardrobe. It is heavier than I anticipated, so it will be retired for the summer by mid-May at the latest and brought back out for the transitional early autumn in September. I could not be more pleased with this garment, and for a total of $69.50 including shipping ($5.95) and tax ($4.55) it was an incredible value.

I was wearing the black mock neck top and threw on black pants and glen plaid loafers. I probably won’t wear it buttoned but unlike some double breasted jackets it looks good buttoned.

I tried it with the dressy Spanx trouser shorts.. need to work on the shoes but the proportions are good for that combination also, I think.

Next up: Brooks Brothers! The red twinset did not arrive 😕 but I put on the skirt with my trusty mock neck and a wide belt and Mary Janes… voila, it fits perfectly and is very full and swishy! So I know that even if I don’t love the twinset with the skirt I have things it goes with. It also looks great with a collared poplin shirt with three quarter sleeves.

This skirt was originally $248 the first time I looked at it, and I purchased it for $99!

Finally: The Frankie Shop

I bought a cute camel colored pleated kilt style skirt from this shop I’d never heard of on the west coast. Camel is one of ”my” colors and skirts are perennial favorites, and it was on sale, so… As it was short I sized up so it would sit on my hips for length and so it does— the length is fine (or will be with tights). The color is more mustard than camel IMVHO, but the twill fabric is outstanding and the fabrication is excellent. I will wear this with all black — or I could wear it with a navy sweater and tights also. It’s a little underwhelming in the picture (bare legs and no styling) but the fit is perfect. This was bought during an end of season sale and the final cost was just under $100.

I’m expecting a few more things this week and at that point I will either have to stop buying clothes or turn one of the spare bedrooms into a dedicated closet. Which TBH does not sound like a bad idea!

Full marks for RTR, Brooks Brothers and The Frankie Shop!

Comments (18)

• rubyclaire
    12 days ago

Nice gams kswl! (I just like saying that but it is true!!)

You are having such a run of good luck - either you are an expert at picking what will work or those pandemic pounds lost are making this incredibly easy - and fun!

Kswl thanked rubyclaire
  • Funkyart
    12 days ago

I love them all-- and the RL jacket is going to work so well with so much!

And agree-- this has been fun to watch and it has to be lots of fun for you too!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thank you Ruby Claire and Funky! I’m having fantastic, unprecedented, miraculous luck!!

• Jilly
    12 days ago

K, they all look great on you!

You have a great eye. I feel like I’ve been in a fashion rut lately; you inspire me!

Kswl thanked Jilly
  • ilikefriday
    12 days ago

They all look fabulous! I especially love the last skirt. You look great.

Kswl thanked ilikefriday
  • blfenton
    12 days ago

what a run of great luck you are having with buying clothes on line. They all look great and I am especially envious of the linen jacket. That is something I would gravitate towards.

Kswl thanked blfenton
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    12 days ago

I will also say that losing my PP (pandemic pounds) has enabled me to find things that fit perfectly between sizes 6,8 and 10 (and from S to XL). Sizing in women’s clothing is scandalously far from standardized and Medium can mean almost anything. Knowing my own measurements and occasionally calling a store or company and asking someone there to measure the actual garment is really helpful in selecting a size. Barring that, I have a whole return system cabinet with all the supplies needed and my rule is to return within 3 days. Waiting beyond that window is dangerous bc it’s already out of mind if not sight.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 days ago

I love the white jacket, and the skirt with red flowers. Nice scores.

Are you opposed to even a little heel?

Kswl thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    12 days ago

You continue to make me smile as you share your purchases! Feels like we're all out shopping together. Everything always seems to look good on you :)

Kswl thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Lol— Arapaho, you dont see the things that look terrible. They are bagged and banished!

I’m glad these latest purchases seem to meet with general approval. While I buy what I like, I recognize that if several people are expressing the same doubts that means something 🤔

Regarding heels: I’m not opposed to them per se, Mtn, I just never seem to find any I like except slides. I have six or seven pair and they are all for summer. I don’t love loafers with a heel and that’s what I mostly wear in the fall/winter/spring along with ballet slippers. I own a few dress up heels but nothing for “everyday nice,” which is my standard look, i guess. I am 100% open to suggestions for shoes!

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

I look forward to seeing these posts because you have a mini series going. Kswl's Fashion Corner. 😊 If you had a YT channel it would be a total hit!

Kswl thanked ilikefriday
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Lollol, Friday, perish the thought!

• OutsidePlaying
    11 days ago

You really made some great scores. I especially like the white blazer and am happy to hear you are pleased with RTR. It’s been a while, but before Covid, I rented a couple of cocktail dresses from them for events when I didn’t see the point in buying new dresses for something I’d probably wear one time. I was very pleased with their service and the quality.

Kswl thanked OutsidePlaying
  • texanjana
    11 days ago

All of these pieces look so great on you, Kswl. You are on a roll!

Kswl thanked texanjana
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I just bought these

from Naot but the long expanse between bootees and hems …. maybe I will come around to that by next fall 🤔I also have a pair of brown suede low boots that I wear with slacks, usually corduroys. Maybe I will play around with those also.

• k8cd
    11 days ago

I often wear leggings or tights with my booties in the winter. That might open up some more outfits too!

Kswl thanked k8cd
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Good point, k8, I always wear something on my legs in winter…I am a sissy in cold weather. I have this dress in brown also and may consider both with shorter boots.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs