SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_557864307

Best Grass for Partial Shade in Bakersfield?

Jose Fernandez
last month
last modified: last month

I live in Bakersfield and my lawn was a mess when I moved into my house. I planted marathon seed and it is doing well in areas that are shaded but completely dried out in the areas that have all day sun. Weeds have basically overrun the front quarter of my lawn from the sidewalk. We get up to 110+ during summer. My house is south facing and I am looking for alternatives that are more drought resistant. Most of my neighbors have Bermuda but they also don't have to deal with shade from trees. The lawn isn't completely shaded and it's hard to describe so I've included pictures below during summer and winter (both pictures are before my Marathon seeding).

After much thought and research I have narrowed my options to St. Augustine (Citrablue) or Zoysia (Innovation). They seem like shade tolerant summer grasses. Any other suggestions? I really dislike the St. Augustine leaves and thick stolons so I am leaning Zoysia. The problem is there are virtually no local sod farms so I am left with buying plugs from amazon, which seems risky. My back yard doesn't have any shade so I am leaning towards UC Verde plugs or maybe Celebration or Tahoma 31 Bermuda. Any help or tips would be appreciated, thank you! @dchall_san_antonio

Comments (3)