SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Saks Fifth Avenue - a Cautionary Tale - 3/24 UPDATE

bbstx
last month
last modified: last month

UPDATE: As suggested by @mtnrdredux_gw, Sister went to Elliott.org and read their advice on how to effectively complain and who to complain to. She then emailed the director of customer service setting out the discrepancies on their website with screenshots of each step. Later that evening she got an email ostensibly from the director of customer service saying that she was sending Sister’s email to her team for review. Elliott.org says be Patient, Polite, and Persistent, so Sister set up a reminder to check back in a week. Yesterday, she received an email from Saks with a shipping label to return the dress! She’s a little concerned that it didn’t say she was getting a refund, but I think she could successfully argue that sending the return label implies that a refund is forthcoming.

Original message:

My sister ordered several dresses from Saks. Earlier in the day, she had experienced things disappearing from her cart before she could check out. She saw a dress she had been looking for. Quick View showed it in her size. From Quick View, she added it to her cart which already contained several other dresses and checked out immediately for fear of it disappearing.

The package arrived Saturday. In the meantime, she had found a dress she liked at a local shop and bought it. When she went to return the dress yesterday, she couldn’t. The dress was a “final sale.“ The dress was not *on* sale. It was regular price. The Quick View did not show ”final sale.” While final sale was indicated in the cart, it was buried among other comments. (See attached photo. I made up a cart and included the subject dress. The other dresses are random thing I added to the cart.)

She called Customer Service. The CS rep was very nice but told her that even if she sent her a return label, Saks would not refund her money. Needless to say, she is not happy over being stuck with an $880 dress that she doesn’t want. I don’t know that there are any avenues open for her to pursue, but just beware that Saks has ”final sale” on things that aren’t on sale and that the ”final sale” language is not shown on the Quick View and is buried in the comments on the cart.

Comments (35)

• 3katz4me
    last month

Wow - that's a lot of $ for something you can't return. I was wondering why it was final sale until I realized it's an "event" dress that someone might wear once for the event and then return it.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Try reaching a Saks executive via Elliott.org. Be factual and succint and include docs. Good luck.

ps then try credit card co

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • deegw
    last month

I agree that she should escalate it. I avoid buying clothes online that are final sale like the plague. I did see that the final sale note is bold on the product page but that doesn't help when you order via quick view. Most of the other formal dresses by the same designer are not final sale.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • DLM2000-GW
    last month

That's dirty pool IMO. I hope escalation gets results for her.

bbstx thanked DLM2000-GW
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

There are many other event dresses that are not final sale. Just this one for some seemingly random reason.

Hadn’t thought of Elliott.org. I’m vaguely aware of them but have never used them. I’ll suggest it to her.

I’ve told her to try her credit card company. I always use Amex for online purchases and I’ve had good results with their dealing with problems. She used a Citi card. I have no idea how aggressive they are for their cardholders.

• Tina Marie
    last month

I'm sorry this happened to your sister. I went to the site and put the dress in my cart - using quick view. I also looked at it not in quick view and "final sale, non returnable" is in red letters. While that is not so in Quick View, I wouldn't say it is "buried in comments". It shows in the shopping bag as you check out. I always read over this to make sure I am getting the right size, color, etc. so this could be a lesson in double checking what you order. HOWEVER, since it is shown differently in quick view, I would do as suggested and talk to an executive and say that you can't miss it when you go through the regular order process, but it is not as clear in the quick view. TBH, I did not know you can order from quick view and have never used it. I think Dee gives good advice on avoid buying final sale items online. Would they do an "exchange"? I know she has already found a dress, but with an exchange she could at least buy something else and not lose her money. Just a thought.

bbstx thanked Tina Marie
  • deegw
    last month

I completely sympathize with feeling the need to panic order event dresses. My DD's wedding dress came from a designer in Australia on the Monday before the wedding! That was after ordering so many dresses for her and myself to try over 6 months, My credit card was smoking.

Of course, my younger DD went to Anthro and loved the third dress she tried on. Which is the way life usually works for her.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

That stinks - caveat emptor?

This reminded me that it was reported awhile back that retailers were cracking down in various ways on what's become an unmanageable volume of online customer returns. I'm sure most already know that returns aren't just put back on the shelf - most become a loss to the business.

Perhaps if the credit card company can't help, reselling on Poshmark, or similar would offer some relief?

bbstx thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

Deegw, you pretty much nailed it with ”panic order.” Sister is down to the wire. She is very meticulous about reading everything as a rule, but this time in her rush, it got past her. A very costly lesson.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

I put 2 sale dresses in the cart just to see if they were ”final sale” and if so, what and where the words were. Nope. The sale dresses aren’t ”final sale.”

• HU-787167202
    last month

It's not on SAKS because your sister did not order properly.

• deegw
    last month

That dress might be from a previous season but it makes you wonder why it's final sale but not ON sale. I don't remember seeing that combination before.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

Carol, we have seen some interesting return policies lately. I ordered a dress from Lilly Pulitzer for DD in 2 different sizes.

The return policy at Lilly is:

within 15 days of receipt: free returns and a full refund

16-30 days: $7 for return label and a full refund

31-90 days: $7 for return label and a full store credit.

• eld6161
    last month

Bbstx, that is actually not bad. Most don’t offer free returns.

Back to your sister. The fact that final sale didn’t show up in the quick sale portion gives her leg to stand on.

Side story. I ordered a sofa from Ethan Allen last year. There are three of cushion which you can try. This time we decided to go with th sofest, a down/ combo.

Long story short, the sofa not only looked horrible with this type of stuffing, but it felt like you were sitting on a bale of hay.

No way did it feel like the in store example. They told that over a thousand people sat on it!

I excalated it to two tiers. They tried their best to only give me the seat and not the back.

I think what finally ended the back and forth is when I asked, “ What should I do? Go on Houzz and explain my delemna?”I said this not in a threatening manner, just in an exasperated manner.

It me 6 months. I later heard they refreshed the cushion examples in the store from the worker who came with my replacements.

I’m dependent on online shopping. Selection of petite in store are lacking. And, because sizing inconsistencies, I have to return a lot. I'll be in trouble if I get penalized for returning.

bbstx thanked eld6161
  • pricklypearcactus
    last month

That is very frustrating and I'm sorry your sister is now out $880 because that is a lot of money for any single item of clothing. It looks like "Final Sale" shows up on the cart and on the order summary as well.

Unfortunately it's not easy to see the information if you're not really looking for it. The only real difference on the product page is that it's called out in red (which is not going to help people who are color blind).

bbstx thanked pricklypearcactus
  • HU-163897337
    last month

@eld6161 ”final sale” IS listed on quick view also.

• deegw
    last month

The quick view does not show "final sale" for me. I am on a laptop using Chrome. I picked a size and added it to my cart. After I added it I received a small pop over my cart icon that said "limited sizes" but did not say "final sale".

It says "final sale" in the cart but it is not in the red font like it is on the product page.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

Quick View on my iPad.

• HU-163897337
    last month

Yes, in the cart and not in red. That was mentioned earlier.

• deegw
    last month

7337 Which format are you using that shows "final sale" on the quick view?

• HU-163897337
    last month

Dee it is once its added to the cart that you see final sale. I guess this shows we should carefully verify what we are buying before hitting that final button.

eta: Pricklypear shared a pic

• deegw
    last month

That is not the quick view. The quick view is when you hover over an item on the main shopping page.

No one has disputed that the words "final sale" appear in the cart.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • HU-163897337
    last month

Well i guess i worded that wrong, it does not show in quick view but once ordered through quick view you will see FINAL SALE before you check out. I thought someone explained that earlier?

• teeda
    last month

I think this is very deceptive and I would be upset as well. I can completely understand how your sister missed the note about final sale in the checkout. It should have been noted on the quick view. I think most people expect any item that is final sale to be marked as a "sale" item, usually with a significantly reduced price. This happened to me once when I first started ordering online from Loft. Fortunately their final sale items are 50-60% off so I didn't lose much money. I hope she escalates this and gets some type of compensation.

bbstx thanked teeda
  • OutsidePlaying
    last month

I hope your sister gets resolution on the this huge purchase. It’s pretty obvious from all who have tested it that there is an issue with the Quick View. I for one appreciate the reminder to double check everything when checking out. Online shopping is no fun but I too have to do it most of the time to find tall enough or long enough sizes.

I have noticed that more and more retailers are shortening their return time policies. I returned something to Athleta recently and the sales person reminded me they are changing to 30 days for credit.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bestyears
    last month

I would file screen shots and file a claim with credit card company. That's completely deceptive.

bbstx thanked Bestyears
  • Kswl
    last month

I’ve had good luck lately with online orders and final sales. Just today I received two pair of velvet leggings, a pair of black jeans (that’s right— me, black jeans!) and a black dress all from Spanx and all final sale. I read review after review to determine the sizes I ordered, and luckily everything fits perfectly. But every step of the way, from description to the add to bag to the review bag to pay now I was reminded that THESE ITEMS MAY MOT BE RETURNED OR EXCHANGED!! Spanx does a great job warning you before you buy.

I also bought a jacket from Banana Republic that was sent to our old house — for some reason that was the default address on that one order when I have ordered many times over the last almost four years. I didnt realize the error until the package was delivered to them and not me. I texted both numbers I had for the new owner and she never even replied. I contacted BR asking them to try to retrieve it and they queried the delivery vendor to insure my story was true and they simply sent a replacement to my current address. They couldn’t have been nicer!

Bbstx, I’m sorry your sister is out such a substantial sum and hope she gets satisfaction from the store or credit card company.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

Update is at the top of the thread.

• teeda
    last month

Great news!

bbstx thanked teeda
  • deegw
    last month

That's good news. I'd personally be happy with a store credit but hopefully she'll get a full refund.

bbstx thanked deegw
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    last month

She’d be happy with a store credit too.

• OutsidePlaying
    last month

Good news on the return. Thanks for the update and i hope it all goes smoothly.

bbstx thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Kswl
    last month

This is good news and good advice from Mtn, hope it resolves to her satisfaction.

bbstx thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

So glad it worked out! I find good success with the suggestions of Elliot.org

bbstx thanked mtnrdredux_gw