SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klcolorado2015

Kitchen faucet off-center with window; design dilemma, help!

Kari
last month

I have a design dilemma regarding the sink base needing to be 5-6 inches off-center with the window. Ignore the two-basin sink in the design I’ve attached photos of; I am doing a large, single-basin sink. So the faucet would be off-center with the window…. The importance of this fact is the first part of this question. Second part is deciding on a window configuration to mask the faucet off-set if we keep the current cabinet layout.

We are in the position of not centering the sink due to 1) Having previously ordered non-returnable cabinets to fit an entirely different layout, and 2) This layout maximizes the usable and functional volume for the kitchen base cabinets, as well as maximizing the usage of the cabinets we already ordered.

Now, if we were to change the cabinet configuration solely to center the sink with the window, I would need to discard the 36 inch 2-drawer base cabinet to the left of the sink, and order a 30” base instead. But, that would mean not only storage loss, but would require two additional 3” dishwasher end panels on both sides to the right of the sink to compensate for the 6” of visible dead space on that wall caused by the smaller, 30” drawer base to the left of the sink. This solution is not ideal for me at all, BUT, depending on how big a deal it is to have the faucet sticking up in front of the window 6” off-center…. perhaps I would consider it. Please give opinions on that!

My kitchen designer feels that having the faucet off-center is compensated by the fact that we made everything else very symmetrical. The window is centered on the wall. The wall cabinets to either side of the window are the same size, creating symmetry. Lastly, the island is centered with all that. The view out the window will draw the eye as it is a nice view.

This kitchen opens to the dining area and living room, so when one looks across at the kitchen and out the window, you will see the symmetry of the above mentioned things, with only the faucet sticking up and being up to 6” off-center. Perhaps not terribly important???

The second part of this is getting the right window configuration. It’s been suggested that I avoid a window that has window panes or lines that make it obvious that the faucet doesn’t hit center. Need to get something that masks that as much as possible.

This window space is 76” length X 36” High. I will leave about 10” between the countertop and the bottom of the window frame, and put backsplash there behind the faucet.

Doing one big picture window, single pane is one option; but, I’m not a fan of the solid piece-of-glass look, plus the fact you can’t open the window at all. Still an option, though, if aesthetically it’d be better….

The designer is suggesting a single pane across the bottom expanse to camouflage the off-center faucet, but then make it shallow at maybe 18” deep (half the depth of the 36” window space), and the put 3 casement-type windows across the top that can be opened via hand cranks.

I marked off measurements with tape on a blank wall to help me visualize this look. Please see photos of this and tell me what you think. Unfortunately the horizontal frame line where the windows meet hits right about eye-level if you’re standing at the sink. But maybe this isn’t a big deal, and the overall look matters more? Or maybe getting windows with extra-thin frames would help decrease that frame taking up space horizontally across the 76” length. Or another option is change the depth of the windows to a different depth split instead of 50/50; 60/40, 70/30, etc….

Open to any other window configuration suggestions as well and all thoughts regarding the importance of the faucet being centered. I’m really hoping it’s not a big deal and we can just leave it as it. But if it’s a huge problem visually despite all the symmetry in the rest of the kitchen, let me know please!

Thanks in advance!

Please ignore the inconsistencies with the cabinet colors and type of window in the design; this is strictly to illustrate cabinet layout and window/sink placement.

My tape markings for a window 76” x 36”. Top of the counter top is at the top

of the wainscoting at 36” from the floor approximately. Blue tape is where the faucet would sit approximately 5-6” off-center with the window. Faucet 16” tall:

Actual wall where window will go. We’ll be taking these windows out, but this is the view outside:

Comments (17)