SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jstephens72

Exterior Update

Julie Waids
2 months ago

We are in the process of updating the siding to 8 1/4” smooth planks on our home and plan to keep the paint color, neutral and light, but debating if I should stick with what we have or go lighter. I'm considering Shoji White to change it up a bit, but not sure if we should leave the shutters or remove them altogether. We are also going to square off the columns in front to make it look a little more current and change out the walk-up to pavers to make the home feel more updated.
If anyone has advice on the following, I welcome your input:

• If we choose Shoji White, what is a good color to consider for the shutters?
  • Would you keep the shutters or leave them?
  • If we keep the shutters, is there a more updated style of shutter to consider?
  • We are considering 11" square columns to replace the round columns.
  • The front patio is currently red brick (which used to match the house). Is there a way to update this to a lighter color without removing the existing brick? Paint will peel, but maybe there is a material we could consider to layer on top and get rid of the red brick. Or, is it better to leave it as is?
  • With the pavers, we will need to work around the tree in the front, so trying to decide if we wrap the pavers around (off set to the left of the tree) or create a 90-degree turn at the tree's location.

I've attached the home as it is today and two renderings (first photo with shutters, square columns, and updated paint; second photo without shutters).

This is the house as it is today with light tan paint and darker tan shutters.

Home with shutters

Home without shutters

This is the other option for pavers with 90-degree angle at tree location.

This is a closer picture of red brick on front porch. Keep or try to update without tearing out the current brick. We will also need to remove the pavers outlining the flower beds at front, so could add more modern metal edging or something that would feel more updated.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might offer! Hoping to get this right the first time.

Comments (7)