SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate787878

SW Egret White for kitchen cabinets

Kate
last month

Hi, if anyone used SW Egret White for kitchen cabinets - what color did you choose for the walls?

Comments (28)

• Kate
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Thank you, Jenny, yes, she is great. I just wanted to know what others used to narrow my search a bit or decide that maybe i should completely abandon the idea of using EW on cabinets. I had other colors in mind for cabinets and walls , but after the cabinets and countertops were installed i understand that i probably need sth else.

I already went through a lot of testing and would rather not to go buy another 10 samples of paint but maybe narrow down to a couple ..

• Related Discussions

JG-22 Shiplap white or SW Shoji White kitchen cabinets?? Help please!

Q

Comments (4)
    My painters just finished painting my kitchen cabinets today. We used Behr "Off White" and it came out to be the perfect shade of creamy white with no yellow, blue or green undertones. It is not as stark as Alabaster which I had originally considered. My kitchen has low light most of the day, but this white color really brightened it up. It would work well with your colors as well. Good luck!
    ...See More

SW Pure White Kitchen Walls, what White for Cabinets?

Q

Comments (17)
    We have decided to get countertops first! However, what do you guys think about SW Pure White Walls with BM Paper White cabinets? Will it be tacky, is it enough contrast to look good together or should we stick with everything being Pure White. BM Paper White on the walls in the picture. This would be on our cabinets. SW Pure White on the cabinets in the picture. This is on our walls. Thoughts?
    ...See More

On kitchen reno - SW antique white & SW dover white work together?

Q

Comments (8)
    Oooo, I'd be careful as marble countertops don't looove overly creamy colours, and Antique White is CONSIDERABLY creamy - I wouldn't do it (I consult on this stuff all the time). Dover White is also a bit too yellow for the bit more yellow-orange look of Antique White and IS too yellow for your marble. The whole combo is making me nervous! Sometimes, what we want and what our home wants are 2 different things and between your trim/walls, I'm not feeling the marble at all - I'm sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear!
    ...See More

SW Dover White cabinets with SW Pure White walls

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes. You're exactly right. I was just wondering if the 2 can jive together. I've painted some samples on poster board and in some areas looks great and in others comes off a little blue. My husband will paint 2 smaller walls in the area to know for sure. Thanks for your advice!
    ...See More
  • Sam m
    last month

@Kate Please share what you decide. I am also looking for a Warm white/Cream wall and cabinet combination. TY

• eld6161
    last month

I had to google.Egret has violet and pink undertones.

Personally for such a big expense I would go with the popular classic whites.

You can always add color with the walls and backsplash.

I would google the top ten popular white in BM and SW and then google examples of actual kitchen painted in these colors.

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Sam m , i can only tell you one thing - DO NOT use SW Egret White :).

I can swear million times there was NOT a slightest hint of pink or purple in ANY time of day or night , in any light on the samples on different walls and large sample on a foam board.. but.. now I have like half of the cabinets painted and I can't unsee the pink/purple..

I guess the good thing that it's off and on. Strange but with pretty warm LED lights it's actually not pink. Few times i saw the cabinets during the day and they were right the color i thought they would be - warm stone color. But other times of the day i cant unsee pink or purple glare.

Repainting is not an option at least right now .

If anyone know a working colors in decor that will kill the purple - please, share, i wll try everything.

eld6161 , as I sadly can confirm now (pink and violet) . And i read the reviews many times , but the absence of pink on the samples was so .. absent! that i really didn't pay attention to that warning.

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

another thought - the cabinets primer seemed rather blue. Idk, maybe it's normal, but i thought the primer should be white... Could that primer evoke the purple/pink.. google says that yes, but wonder if anybody, who paints regularly, knows.

If yes, then will an extra coat help to cover that blue? I guess another reason the color is SO different from all my samples is the sheen.. the cabinets are much glossier than my samples, reflect the light differently.

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

SW Egret White isn’t pink pink or violet, nor does it have pink or violet ‘undertones.‘

In relatively balanced lighting, Egret White is a light near neutral and belongs to near the start of the Yellow Hue Family.

In warmer lighting you maybe able to discern a degree of peachiness to its warmth.

Where lighting spikes more heavily in the blue/violet area of the spectrum, as with all near neutrals from this neighbourhood, Egret White has the capacity to shift and appear notably more lilac.

Orange toned work tops and floors can further exacerbate the effect.

This doesn’t happen in every space, every time. That’s why assigning fixed pink & purple ’undertones’ is misleading.

Where it does occur, it may do so in the whole of a room, on only one wall, or sometimes that shift only makes it up just the first 1/3 of a wall from the floor. Such shift will always start at the floor.

Changing lightbulbs may help to a degree, if that colour shift only occurs at night.

But if you see it in natural daylight, then that does’t really help.

I think colour shift can add to the changing atmosphere of a room. But it can be a shock if you aren’t expecting it.

Quite often, especially if only over 1 wall in a room, your own colour constancy kicks in and you might stop noticing it after some time.

#shifthappens

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you, Marylee H . It doesn’t occur at night but during daytime mostly. It’s off and on.
    We can call it lilac - I don’t mind, I just would rather have it gone :).
    The bulbs are currently wrapped, but I think they are warm LEDs. But the undertone is not present when they are on. It comes out around 2-3 pm and would go away then come back. And it’s more on the top (lights off).
    This is my reality :)

I didn't watch it 24 hours yet - the house is under construction, so i just visit. And observations are based on those visits.

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

And worst - I am not the only one seeing it now .

• Jenny
    13 days ago

Which way does the room face? Reflection from outside may be playing a factor.

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

That‘s tough going if you don't like it in daylight. Am sorry.

One way to lessen to the degree of violet/lilac you are seeing, would to put things more intensely that colour, nearby. e.g. a rug, glass vase, purpleish hand towels etc.

That way the cabinetry would look less purpleish alongside as they would literally be more muted by comparison.

Still not good though, if you don’t care for those colours whatsoever!

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jenny , no reflections yet - windows are covered. Windows are facing east and west. Should be a ton of natural light.

Walls are white still. The counters are wrapped too. Wrapping paper on the counters is maroon red but it's so splashed and covered with dust now it's hard to tell what color it is - i mean i want to think it just reflection of it that makes the cabinets look pink, but i know it is hardly the case.

I am hoping that maybe adding some sage curtains will kill that lilac galore..

I was going to paint Egret White in a couple of other places in the house but now trying to cancel it.

I spent hours with samples, placed them , combined them, idk what i didn't do.. and such a blow..

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

This phenomenon of lighting + context that you are experiencing, was recorded by the French chemist Chevreul in the early part of the 19thC. Unfortunately paint brands do not share or discuss the potential for it occurring.

Kate thanked Marylee H
  • Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I am sure there is a scientific explanation for it based on physics of light. Now i need to find the physics of what curtains / wallart to use to neutralize it :)

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

Are your counters wrapped in brown paper?

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

Oh I see you say they are maroon red. Yes, They can definitely add to the sensation.

As mentioned below, orange toned related colours can certainly exacerbate the sensation of colour shift.

• Kate
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Marylee H , they are all splashed now.. idk if maroon is really that visible to provide that effect. But surely if it is the core of the problem I would be more than happy. :)

I am thinking maybe the sheen is the key.. the top - half is the wall of the cabinet. It's semi gloss i think.. the bottom - SW sample paint on a foam board. Flat or satin finish.. The top one reflects light much more and this adds to the "pink" effect.

The bottom just sort of "swallows" the light and remains true to itself.

• RedRyder
    13 days ago

I am not a pro but I have SW Antique thought my entire house. It looks clean but warm.

We have A LOT of custom, walnut stained wood trim and if I used any of the standard whites, the designer said it would look like the dry wall was never painted. Antique White may not work in every exposure but it’s worth a shot. Or a sample….

• Marylee H
    13 days ago

Hi - surrounding, red/brown/yellow-red related colours aren’t likely to be the only source of the isuue. The pricipal feature of seeing violet/purple in a colour from this Hue Family location is an imbalance in lighting. (see below)

But those colours in nearby flooring/worktops can exacerbate that sensation, if the lighting is imbalanced.

A sense of perceived peachy pinkness is not a surprise, because of its proximity to the Yellow-Red Hue Family. Warmer lighting emphasises that.

Cooler lighting may lessen it.

Kate thanked Marylee H
  • dani_m08
    13 days ago

I do wonder if the sheen + the maroon red paper on your countertops is causing the issue.

Plus, if ypur windows are covered = not allowing a ton of natural light into the space, if that is also having an effect.

Maybe you’ve hit the trifect - sheen + color of countertop paper + covered windows = creating a pink tinge?

I bought a sample of Egret White (along with 10-11 other ”whites” when looking at whites for house exterior/trim. I don’t remember seeing any pink - I’m going to pull the sample back out and paint a poster board and take a look at it! I do remember watching a video by Kylie M. and while I’ve learned about undertones (or lack thereof) from Lori Sawaya - my notes have that Kylie mentioned pink/violet.

Kate thanked dani_m08
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 days ago

I guess another reason the color is SO different from all my samples is the sheen.. the cabinets are much glossier than my samples, reflect the light differently.

Possibly. Also the product matters. Professional grade cabinet paint like Renner, Milesi, etc. color matched to a SW is not = to a SW color mixed in a SW product.

It can be pricey and inconvenient but it's always a good idea to require a painted sample from paint to approve for cabinets. For SW product buy a quart or gallon (if ya have to) in the grade and sheen you want to use. Because it's the only way to know for sure.

Wrapping paper on the counters is maroon red but it's so splashed and covered with dust now

Don't underestimate how that paper may be influencing how Egret is showing up.

But the undertone is not present when they are on. It comes out around 2-3 pm and would go away then come back. And it’s more on the top (lights off).

As Marylee mentioned, it's an inherent characteristic of low chroma neutrals in this region of color space.

We know Egret could show up, or with moments of, pink/purple but odds are the same that it will not.

The fact that the purpleness is not constant, comes and goes is a good thing.

The color is not in its final context. The paper on the counters is in close proximity and I'd remove that completely from the space before making any decisions.

Kate thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Kate
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I saw the cabinets again today around 2 pm - they were almost perfect . I soooo hope it is just the wrapping paper and everything else that’s going on right now 🙏🙏🙏
    I do want to love this color again.
    I liked it so much . Everything including the name - I can see egrets sometimes near the house and they are lovely and friendly birds :).

Thanks everyone! You put my mind at ease . Also if there is science to describe the phenomenon, there should be science to resolve it 😁. Hope we will neutralize any popping pink with some curtains and design .

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I saw the cabinets again today around 2 pm - they were almost perfect

Could also be that they're more cured and the color has had a chance to develop.

Also if there is science to describe the phenomenon, there should be science to resolve it

Kinda is: Change the light and/or context and you change color appearance. But it's not always possible to change the inherent quality of natural daylight and not always realistic to change context.

Lucky the paper is temporary; if it is part of the problem, it can get 86d.

• Kate
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Lori A. Sawaya , i had the same thought - maybe they are curing and getting better. Oh, I so hope so!

I will try to get back in this topic and tell the end of the story - either it will be happy or .. stressful :) . Maybe it will help somebody else .

• RedRyder
    4 days ago

We all love happy endings. Glad the cabinets look as expected and you’re in love. Looking forward to hearing more.

Kate thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 days ago

There is no pink or lilac

Yay! 🙂

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022