SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_arnold75

Kitchen counter choice-granite or quartz?

Ann Arnold
last month
last modified: last month

I currently have hard surface counters in white with a seaglass blue backsplash. I love the airyness of the seaglass and all white but it does not flow with my the rest of my house. I am putting in my new counters and can not afford quartzite or some of the simple white quartz counters that I'm looking at. I can however afford a simple quartz that has a cooler tone to it/grey vein (I think possibly commercial quality) or river white granite. I go back and forth in my space. I will be using a wavy, white glossy backsplash, my cupboards and island are white and my floors are #3 maple. My walls are painted a southwest white, which has a warmer undertone. My current situation I love-just not the blue. My kitchen is open concept to my dining room which has a walnut table/grey stained hutch shaker style, so my home is not modern. The river white granite slabs I'm looking at are not as streamlined lines or color as I see online-more of a "cloudy sky" type look with the flow. The quartz is a stock quartz at my counter fabricator as I can't afford the whiter quartz I was looking at. I will include some pics and would love some input. Please don't suggest other options because I've gone crazy narrowing it down to these two! The rest of my home has a traditional, northeastern coastal feel to it-lots of windows, white casing around windows, warm greys, warm wood tones. I have a nice flow from living room, dining which flow into kitchen in an L direction. I'm really leaning towards the granite for many reasons, but I know it will change the look in my kitchen. I get morning sun through the sink window and there is a glass paned door to the left that lets light in. I will be expanding my island about 12" towards the dining room and the counter by the stairs will be raised and extended to include the wine refrigerator and cabinets, no more dog kennel and desk! Where this counter is the backsplash will extend out and stairstep down under the staircase. This is my one shot and I want to do it right! Please help.

Comments (32)