SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swetha_kunda

Need help with my backsplash!

swetha kunda
last month
last modified: last month

Our kitchen has been under renovation for the last 3. months, and hopefully we will get it done within the next few weeks. There were so many things that didn't go according to plan like the soffit, range hood, cabinet pulls, appliances and faucet finishes etc etc etc. It just feels like a big mish-mash of stuff to me right now. It would have been so much easier if I had gone with the standard colors and hardware.

But the main help I need right now is the backsplash. It just happened because of my contractor and the countertop guys' miscommunication that I couldn't continue the counter backsplash all around. I am not completely mad about it because I get to bring in some color with tiles. I chose a grayish blue glass tile and the contractor has started installing it. But I don't know if I should take it up the wall near the sink area, will it be too much? What about the half wall (which had to stay because of drain pipes) next to the range hood, should this be covered at all and what height? And the wall on the far left next to the garage cabinet, does it need covering as well? I feel like the countertop backsplash is getting lost in all the light colors, how do I make it pop? Also, I don't like the wall color in here (repose gray which is the color in the whole house and looks good there), which is also light gray but a different gray than the cabinets. If not tiles, what color should I paint the wall next to the cabinets?

Cabinets are Thomasville Swan on Maple.

If anyone could use AI to show how it will look with tile all over, I would really appreciate it, I am not able to imagine it all. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

There isn't a scrap of counter material that could get you to the corner, right of the range??

That might drive me a whole lot crazy.

"It just happened because of my contractor and the countertop guys' miscommunication that I couldn't continue the counter backsplash all around."

I'd have to pull the stone off behind the range, and tile that. I'd not be PAYING for the lack of communication, or the miss...

Why? ......you've nowhere to go left of the range, and it appears as is? Like you ran out: ) which apparently you did. .

Your waterfall will appear more as star of the show. Tile it all.

Next best? Paint the drain cover the dark color.

Not sure what you mean by half wall, and assume you mean right of the door passage? No.....its a wall. Nothing more than that.

swetha kunda thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jenny
    last month

I think the tile is stunning. I would do the sink wall and wrapped around to the cooktop, holding that one line (not going higher around the window). I think I would stop there. Bank enough extra tile back that if you need to tile to the left of the cooktop you can. Then look at it while they are working on other details for a week or two.

I can't Photoshop but it would be helpful to mock that up. Then waffle over whether you get paint matched to your cabinets (which are beautiful) or you match the dark color. I think you're at risk of too much dark though.

swetha kunda thanked Jenny
  • Related Discussions

Help with Kitchen backsplash

Q

Comments (0)
    Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need help with my backsplash I was going to go with green glass tile but having second thoughts now I'm thinking of going with tumbled tile earth tone creme maybe. HELP!!!! Image link:
    ...See More

Help with Kitchen Backsplash

Q

Comments (0)
    Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need help with my backsplash I was going to go with green glass tile but having second thoughts now I'm thinking of going with tumbled tile earth tone creme maybe. HELP!!!! Image link:
    ...See More

Backsplash design Quandry re: borders?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't think there's a 'right' answer here. Using two runs of a matching accent isn't that unusual. Might look more typical if you used the small tiles closest to the counter, then the metal, the large tiles, and the other metal to top the whole thing off.
    ...See More

Mosaic Size Glass or Slate Backsplashes

Q

Comments (25)
    http://www.woodmark-homedepot.com/showroom.asp?id=83 I need help. My backsplash is going to be terra cotta mosaic like the one in the photo. Only a little darker. The floor is the same in the photo as well. I am going with a dark countertop called tan/black. What should I paint the walls not covered in backsplash, and how dark can i go on the cabinets. The kitchen is actually going to be very similar to the pic except the cabinets and countertop. Any help woul be appreciated. The next link is the granite. http://eurasian.com/india/granite/tan_brown.html
    ...See More
  • kandrewspa
    last month

I think the kitchen looks fabulous so far, but the dark tile is a clunker. It doesn't go with the material over the cooktop. So I think you either need to remove that and tile everywhere, or choose a much lighter tile (off white) that blends with the counter better. But I really think that tile is just too dark. If you had that everywhere, including over the stovetop, it would bring the whole space down. I know you were thinking because you have black elsewhere it would work, but IMO, it doesn't. Love your pendants and range hood!

swetha kunda thanked kandrewspa
  • cpartist
    last month

Do as Jan said. Remove the counter material from the cooktop wall and tile everything. Two walls with two different materials meeting in the corner is going to look like someone goofed.

swetha kunda thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

: ) Which they did......"goof"

• swetha kunda
    Original Author
    last month

The countertop was expensive and I really wanted it behind the cooktop for the ease of cleaning. May be after few years, I can think about taking it down. For now, I am so tired that I just want this project to end. As Jenny suggested, I will do half height and see how I feel about it. Getting paint matched is also a great idea. Thanks!

• chispa
    last month

I think what you have is looking really nice.

I do think that the tile you selected is a bit too large to be done as a herringbone in that small space. The pattern gets too chopped up with only 2 full size tiles being able to fit and all the rest having to be cut, to run the pattern across.

swetha kunda thanked chispa
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Is your counertop a quartz?

• swetha kunda
    Original Author
    last month

Yes, it is Cambria Portrush.

• cat_ky
    last month

You might also consider that quartz isnt always the best thing to put behind a cook top either. Heat will make it warp. I would remove it all, and find a nice tile, that goes with the countertops better. Not fond of the very dark color you are trying to work with. Its sometimes, best, when someone goofs, to just do what needs to be done now, rather than later, even though, you are tired and want it all finished.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I would be livid. It's quartz! Not the last slab on earth! Tell them to find it, finish it, and pay for it!!!

Buy a deep navy teapot!

Or describe better, the missed communication. I don't understand, despite design fatigue, why you would settle for this mistake.

• rebunky
    last month

The backsplash on the range and sink walls being in the matching quartz as you originally planned would have looked gorgeous and perfectly planned! This flows so nicely.

This, imho, looks odd and very choppy. As others said, it looks like a mistake.

If the contractor and fabricator messed up, then why do you have to compromise your vision? Why can’t they get a new slab and do the backsplash as you requested on their dime?

Could the dark tile be used somewhere else in the home? Mud room? Laundry? Bath?

swetha kunda thanked rebunky
  • swetha kunda
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you to all who commented!

I actually am not sure whom to blame here but to give a little context, we went through HomeDepot for the countertops. They did email us in advance to let us know that we need to get the cabinets installed. We let our contractor (hired separately) know this. But he only installed the bottom cabinets and then left for another job while we were waiting for the countertops to be installed. He assured us that that was all that was needed. I should have read the instructions more carefully or be more insistent. When the countertop people came they refused to take measurements for the backsplash but agreed to do the one behind the range (In hindsight, I don't know if he we had pushed harder if they would have done the backsplash). I didn't think it was a big deal, I thought it would be fine to do a tile backsplash. I searched online and found few pictures of mixed backsplashes (quartz with tile) and went ahead. I didn't realize it would be this difficult until we actually started tiling.

Also, the countertop people said they could come back for measurements but it would be another charge and the whole project will be delayed. By this time, we were without a kitchen for almost 1.5 months (due to various reasons) and we didn't want to wait any longer (again due to some personal reasons). The ordering and fabrication and installation would take another 3-4 weeks. Had I known what designing a kitchen entails, I would have probably hired a designer :) or probably posted here sooner.

Anyway what is done is done, I don't want to rip out the installed quartz. I think I have decision fatigue now (we are getting other parts of our house redone too and we only moved in last August so still haven't fully unpacked or settled).

But, I appreciate all the different points of view. I think what Beth said makes the most sense to me right now. I might do just the tile now and wait a bit to get the spot to the right of cooktop covered with quartz.

I finally found something on homedepot.com to help me visualize.

• Jenny
    last month

I'm not a pro, just a homeowner hearing from my friend and contractor about Big Box experiences. You are not alone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

We can't stop you, though we certainly understand your urge to be finished.

The problem? There is nothing tragic happening that prevents you from cleaning up the drywall, painting, and waiting.

All you will do is regret what you ARE doing. That is called "settling" when you don't have to.

Skim, Paint the remaining backsplash, cheap and easy. Nobody will judge you, or refuse your meals, or good company. : )

Your contractor owes YOU for a failure to manage the project.

No fabricator would template for full splash, without the uppers installed.

• la_la Girl
    last month

^ 100% - won’t it be tough to get someone to take on the little corner quartz project? (they are going to need to some good matching to get the veining to flow)

I really relate to the decision fatigue - agree that just painting and taking a break makes so much sense - then down the road, hire someone to tackle the rest of the BS with the quartz - hang in there!

• pkpk23
    last month

Since your kitchen is able to be used as it is now, it's the perfect time to tell your contractor you prefer your original plan and he needs to take down the tile and get busy finding the quartz. Can understand the desire to just be done, but it will be easier to do it now and not later with additional contractor charge.