SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_marie39

which coffee table looks better?

NT
last month

Which coffee table looks better in this space?

Comments (47)

• Sammie J
    last month

the smaller.

• jackiep713
    last month

Second one. Other is too boxy

• Related Discussions

Which dresser looks better with the bed?

Q

Comments (19)
    OK. Get rid of (sell) the large chest and use the smaller chest. This will give your guests space to place their bags, etc. Do you have room at the foot of the bed for a very small bench for guests to lay their clothes on. Someone posted one on here recently - it was a small metal bench, with an upholstered seat. I think they might even be called vanity stool. How would the large chest look in your new dining room. I love to repurpose pieces like that.
    ...See More

Which set up looks better?

Q

Comments (5)
    Replace the mirror with a piece of art for sure the mirror is not reflecting anything worth seeing twice and you really need some color in the space . Are you asking about the color of the table? I think I would need to see the spaces around this space to decide that and I find the chandelier too ornate with the choices for the chairs and the buffet it also is hung too high. I would look at some MCM lights. The 3 George Nelson one can be fun but please do not leave the placemats on the table
    ...See More

Which looks better

Q

Comments (30)
    Stick with the art and hang it 5" above the mantel. Empty the blue vase and place it to the right of the art. Add fire tools to the hearth and keep it simple. Use the mirror and lantern in the entry. Discard all the fake flowers.
    ...See More

Which pot size looks better

Q

Comments (44)
    Great ideas Andrea... :) Thanks for sharing. @Tiffany, Lol so funny.. yes, I will be sure to water for you.. and thank you for such a sweet and kind compliment. :) I'll leave the photo... as long as Andrea doesn't mind, don't want to take over her thread. The white couch.. no prob, slipcovers..so easily washed. No issue so far, but we never wear shoes in the house and keep eating to the kitchen/dining areas for the most part... crumb control. lol There are more than that...lol they are everywhere... I cannot wait for my new shelf to get here, I soooo hope it is not delayed...been waiting for a while.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you both! I don’t think the color of the first one matches as well either.

• jck910
    last month

both too light match the coffee table to the dining chairs

• Kendrah
    last month

The scale of the first one is right with the size furniture, but the black of the second one breaks up the beige and is a nice accent with your dining chair. I'd keep looking for both of those features.

• arcy_gw
    last month

I like the boxy--but not the size of it. Keep looking the other is just meh.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@kendrah, thanks! yes I knew I needed larger than the second one.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

Also the black dining chairs were temporary! I’m deciding on those too.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

Any thoughts on the size of the tree? I wasn’t sure if it was too large.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last month

My preference is the table with legs. I think you can find a better table but the "legged" table seems to fit better.

• Jilly
    last month
    last modified: last month

The second one, but it could be a bit larger — the ones suggested above would be way too bulky for the area. Your furniture is not on the large side, and there’s not a lot of room between the coffee table spot and dining set.

Legs give the illusion of more space.

The tree does seem pretty big for that spot, I think a small round side table or martini/drinks table would look nice and be useful beside the chair.

It took me a while to post, I kept admiring your views! :)

ETA: Meant to say I like how you’ve mixed your traditional chair with more modern pieces. What do you think about adding pillows to the sofa and/or chair?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Neither. The color is off on the first one and the second one's scale cannot compete with your seating.

• Jilly
    last month

I must be seeing a different size living/dining room than some of you.

• woodrose
    last month

I agree with Jilly, I don't know what some of you are seeing, but it's not what I'm seeing. The first table is too big and bulky; I pity the person who has to sit in that chair and find space for their feet. The second table is much better. It could be a tad larger, as Jilly said, but at least it adds contrast with the sofa and chair.

• Kendrah
    last month

From what I can see of the table and chairs they look fantastic. Can you post a pic of that side of your room?

• Paul F.
    last month

I would inject some character. Open your closet and see if there is there is pattern or color you seem to be drawn to... you won't even notice the table.

There are limits however.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

These suggestions are so helpful! I got rid of the big bulky table. The smaller one is the one I am trying to replace. So it is here in the photo.

Here is the other side of the room. I need dining chairs as well. I was testing black ones.

Is the tree too large? I think it adds balance. I got a 7ft. I felt the common mistake was always going too small but maybe I over compensated.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@paul, I love how that looks with pattern! Sadly, my closet is all monotone as well haha

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

I am open to suggestions for chairs too!

• Jilly
    last month

The tree is much better in the last photo. Not too big there at all.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks @jilly! I moved it :)

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

I’m debating upholstered barrel chairs for the dining table vs black wood. Wood chairs are pretty but so painful to sit in for me.

From previous comments, maybe the leggless barrel chairs would be too heavy and “boxy”

• Maureen
    last month

• elcieg
    last month

I don't like seeing the sofa off-side. Try centering it; put the small table next to the chair and the floor lamp in the corner. Find another spot for the floor plant and then move the chair into its space. Coffee table #2.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

I’ve considered that style too @maureen!

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@elcieg, what do you mean off-side?

• Paul F.
    last month

The reason I mention looking at your wardrobe. I go to art fairs a lot and I've taken dozens of photos of the back of women hypnotized by artwork and even negotiating to buy art that totally matches or vibes with their outfits. My eye is draw to spotting it. I show them when it is really uncanny and they say they were oblivious to the twinning and burst out laughing... then ask to get a copy of the photo for instagram.

So yes, I totally believe your wardrobe is monotone.

Even this woman had NO idea.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

Wow that is spot on @paulf

• Paul F.
    last month

Haha, it is a phenomenon going on at every art fair in every city. It's mostly women but occasionally a man. Standing alone, absolutely transfixed. They are shocked when I show them how well they match... even this guy! If I were a designer I'd insist on looking at a clients wardrobe first in order to understand them and their 'visual needs'. I should do a coffee table book.

• Jilly
    last month

^^ Do you have his contact info? I want those awesome pants.

• Paul F.
    last month

Ha...I honestly thought he must be the artist, but no.

• drdeb1234
    last month

Very cool idea for a coffee table book!

• Kendrah
    last month

@Paul - Amazing. Do horses also gravitate to artwork that matches their coat?

NT - stick to your style and comfort. Your colors are great. The black wishbone was great but you need to sit in a chair and be very comfortable. I'm guessing you live in Chicago, NY, maybe Miami? If so, you have the benefit of stores and showrooms where you can so sit in chairs and see what is comfortable. Shop online first, call their brick and mortar, see what they have in store for you to try out.

Do you have a balcony? If so, how do you squeeze behind the column to access it?

• Kendrah
    last month

Part of what you pay for in a condo like yours is to float in the sky. Your current set up cuts off the views. Instead think of the view as an extension of your home and incorporate them into your layout.

Have you considered placing your sofa on the wall where the arm chair is located and floating the arm chair closer to the column facing the new sofa location? Could this free up space for a more sizable coffee table, make a less boxy more open arrangement, and capitalize on your beautiful views?

• Paul F.
    last month

@kendrah Nope, same. It's all about the outfit.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Skipping down to say I like the second style best, but it seems too small in proportion to the couch.

• pat1250
    last month

Following

• ffpalms
    last month

I like this square black base to mimic the windows, and the glass top to reflect that incredible view.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Kendra’s comments about “…floating in the sky…” made me look at NT’s pics - it certainly does look like balcony railings behind the sofa. Looks like the door to balcony is behind sofa on right - lined up with pillar. Her suggested furniture arrangement sounds great & worth a try if there’s not a reason it wouldn’t work.

Paul - Agree that you should create a coffee table book ”People who Dress Artfully”. It would be a nice companion to “Two of a Kind” dogs who look like their owners - or vice versa - the ”mere exposure effect”.

• Paul F.
    last month

I have a few dog photo's too! Question is would someone find it funny to be shown they look like their dog if they weren't doing it on purpose? This woman's hair and the little top knot on her head just like her dogs, at HomeGoods not long ago. OK, I'm done.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@kendrah yep, I live in Chicago and do frequent furniture stores if possible when I want to try out items. I don’t go out on the balcony much. I’m very high but can get behind the column if needed.
    I’ve tried the sofa on every wall! This arrangement is the only one that didn’t feel “off”. I even tried the sofa in the middle of the room facing the balcony. I always feel like walking into the room to the side or back of the sofa made it feel less open.
    The views are great from the balcony but directly across from the wall with the chair looks straight at another condo building 😞

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@ffpalms I was looking at a similar table from pottery barn! I like that style.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

The balcony door is a sliding door that spans the length of the sofa. Here are other layouts I’ve tried.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

NT - thanks for showing that layout - that’s exactly what I was wondering about when you mentioned you’d tried all possibilties. I wondered about sofa with back to the view you don’t care for. Other than the rug being too far under sofa & the table needing to be pulled away from window so it’s not so close to sofa - what is the issue with this layout? It seems to open up the room. The chair could be in the indent / alcove or closer to the window & angled towards the sofa. Looks like you’d have room for another chair on that side opposite the sofa with this arrangement. Do you want more seating?

• Kendrah
    last month

@Paul The horse is fantastic! I can't wait for your coffee table book.

• PRO
    NT
    Original Author
    last month

@KW it almost felt TOO open with that layout. I also really wanted a rug under the dining table. The dark floors bothered me, and worried too much about scratches.

Also, with the couch against the window, it faced a blank white wall, and made it feel like I needed to put something on the wall. I like it blank.
    I’d like dining room chairs but don’t necessarily need more seating, unless for aesthetic purposes.