SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Thinking of getting a treadmill for home use - UPDATE

Bunny
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I don't know if this is a stupid idea or not.

I walk every day. It's my exercise for my mind and body. I tried a gym and all I did was hop on the treadmill. I decided I could walk for free and take in the sky, trees, architecture, and greet people along the way as well.

We have been having a VERY wet winter, lots of rain. I'm not going to complain about that, but some days are just too wet and windy for an umbrella to do much good. Cold is not a problem.

So I'm thinking of possibly getting a treadmill for home. My house is too small for it to be permanently set up inside. The garage would be a perfect place.

I looked at some treadmills at Dick's and, omg, they are huge. I don't need something for running or lots of stats or even videos. I have my own videos to watch or a book. I don't need to be entertained by it, just let me briskly walk for 30-45 minutes when I can't get outside. I don't weigh much, don't have huge strides. I want bars or handles for stability.

I would like something that can be folded up to take up less room when not being used. Not heavier than I am. I care more about small footprint and movability than price.

Am I looking for the impossible?

Any words of wisdom based on experience?

Comments (47)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 months ago

Look at walking pads. I see people on line using them when working. I am guessing they will go fast enough for a work out but maybe not. They have a small footprint that may slide under a bed or table.

Just did some quick research. They do not have an incline if that matters to you. May not go fast enough for you depending on if you walk or run,.

To me the fact that they are not huge would be a bonus. We had a beast that sat in the lower level. Kind of like a boat, I was never so happy when we sold it!

Bunny thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • lascatx
    2 months ago

We got ours at Dick's -- I think it is the Sole F63. My younger son has one also and the older may take this one or get another when they move. Both boys are tall and need the longer bed, incline and no one wanted to be tied to a subscription. The Sole was the answer. It is one of the smaller ones with a long bed. You can fold the deck up when not in use. A treadmill allows you to walk in rainy weather, too hot, too cold, allergy issues (we have Yellow air season here -- coming up soon) or to read or watch something if you want distraction, boredom busting or just need to feel more productive than walking outdoors allows. The outdoors can be good for mind clearing or scenery. I like having both options.

Bunny thanked lascatx
  • Related Discussions

And you think getting your dream home was difficult/expensive!

Q

Comments (3)
    $400,000 for maybe the first 3 architects' fees! Or maybe that was for remodeling the original ranch house....or building the tree houses. I do agree with him in theory, though. I always envied my friends' houses with views, growing up. Hence, our 3+ yr build, just for me to have my view. It's good to have goals in life.
    ...See More

Our house is ugly. Please help us with ideas to update the exterior.

Q

Comments (1)
    You may want to try a more appropriate forum like Home Decorating.
    ...See More

Exterior Update: Help Us Get It Right

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks, Carol. That’s a great idea on the roof. I’ll have to look it up later tonight. I don’t think the picture is the best representation of the current paint color, but I’ve always felt a little blah about it. I’m definitely open to a change. The current color is Sherwin-Williams classic French Gray: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0077-classic-french-gray#/0077/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0 I’ll try to get a picture in different light.
    ...See More

Country home finally getting an update but need help with colors!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you! Any thoughts on a color for my front porch furniture? Keep everything (rocker, chairs, side table and swing) a natural wood tone or something lighter to brighten things up? I know that is probably a lot for the porch but out here in the country we actually use all of that furniture. We alternate between the front porch and the screened porch and wrap-around deck on the back of the house. We will be painting the front porch ceiling and the ceiling of the screened porch if I can come up with a color. If I paint the front door Hale Navy what would be a good ceiling color for the porches?
    ...See More
  • bpath
    2 months ago

The gal who blogs ”BetweenNapsOnThePorch” has a walking pad and is enjoying it. Scroll down this post to see it and what she has to say abou it.

Bunny thanked bpath
  • deegw
    2 months ago

Just commenting so I get notifications. The walking pad looks very promising.

Bunny thanked deegw
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

Bunny I am a fair weather walker - too hot I don't walk, too cold I don't walk, too wet I don't walk, sometimes even too humid I don't walk. I have a very narrow range of acceptable weather for outdoor exercise! So I bought myself a walk pad and I absolutely love it. It's my favorite way to stream shows. My son heard me singing praises about it and said he was interested so I bought him one, slightly different model than mine. He uses it with his standing desk for work, puts in 7 to 8 mi everyday. Then his wife wanted one to be able to walk while the baby's napping so they bought yet a different model. All the same brand, all from Amazon. Various models regularly go on sale, look at a few and see what features appeal. The one for my son popped up on a special deal good for a few hours and I think I paid $140 for it - crazy! Brand is Urevo.

This is the one I have

Bunny thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks so much for the info! I should have said I don't need an incline or for it to go over 4 mph. The Sole F63 is beautiful but is bigger than I need (I wish I had the space for something like that), and too heavy for me to even consider moving.

A walking pad may be just the ticket. Not too heavy and would easily fit under my bed. At that size, I can find a place for it. And the price is right.

I don't think anything takes the place of a jaunt outdoors, but I'd rather walk indoors than get rained out completely.

• Ally De
    2 months ago

I bought a treadmill about 10 years ago. A Precor model, top of the line back then. It inclines and is still solid as a rock. I love that thing. I used to run outside 365 days a year, no excuses allowed. Lightening was the only weather I allowed to deter me. Freezing cold, ice, snow - I was out there.

Now? I pull on my shorts and go for a run in climate controlled conditions. It is blissful. 😆

You already have shown you're serious about exercising. I suspect you'll love it if you get a good model. The lack of handrails would worry me, but maybe it is less critical if you're walking. I know for running I absolutely need to stabilize myself now and then.

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

About the hand rails.... I have mine set up to use, my son does not but he has a desk in front of him. I find mine are for mental security more than anything. I walk without holding on and find I use it only to steady myself if I'm distracted - like if I laugh a lot at a show I'm watching, touch the hand rail with one hand to steady and go on. These are not the huge handrails like on a big treadmill - they are thin and light but set up properly they are secure.

Bunny thanked DLM2000-GW
  • gsciencechick
    2 months ago

I follow someone on IG who just bought one called a Urevo from the Big A.

I've had a LIfespan Treadmill desk for quite a few years now. Although both my desk and TM are huge! I'm on it now!

Bunny thanked gsciencechick
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

You guys are the best! Urevo is getting good reviews. I like the idea of handrails of some sort, just to have something to grab if I get distracted.

Walking is a 365-day/year commitment for me. I plan my day around it. It kills me to skip a day. Humidity isn't a factor here, but it does get hot in the summer so it's either 8 am or 8 pm. No snow or ice in the winter, but yesterday I went out in Hunter boots and one of those clear bubble umbrellas for half an hour and my thighs were sodden when I got home. It's doable, but some days it's really a drag in the rain and wind.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 months ago

Whatever you choose, do check the used market as you can save a lot of money and there is a lot of equipment out there that's primarily been used as a clothes rack...

Bunny thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I just ordered the one DLM has. Size, weight, price, and good reviews. I have no business (or room) for a full-size treadmill. This one should fit nicely under my bed or guestroom bed.

• lascatx
    2 months ago

The Sole and most treadmills that fold up have wheels under the base for moving. I don't know about this one - haven't needed to try, but I could move the old one (can't remember if it was NordicTrack or ProForm). The walking pad would be fine for me and probably DH. Both sons and DIL want the incline and long deck more than they care about speed or programs and they have been the driving forces between these purchases. If DS and DIL take the current one with them, a walking pad would be a possibility. Let us know how you like it.

Bunny thanked lascatx
  • hhireno
    2 months ago

I’ve never heard of a walking pad but I am intrigued. Thanks for post & my new knowledge.

Bunny thanked hhireno
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I also ordered a pad for underneath in case I end up using it on a rug or carpeted area (the carpet is on borrowed time). It's probably good between the pad and hardwood as well. I'll let you all know how it goes. I got my outside walk in this morning in between the rain.

• hhireno
    2 months ago

DLM,

It doesn’t require using an app, correct? I can just walk and not have to track anything?

Bunny thanked hhireno
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

@hhireno correct - no app is needed. It tracks time, miles, speed, calories (although I don't assume it's very accurate) while you're on it, There's a screen at the front of the pad, control buttons on the top of the hand rail and also a remote to operate it if you use it with the hand rail in the down position. You can certainly ignore the readout and just walk. I wear my fitbit which tracks the same things and is probably a bit more accurate.

Bunny I hope you like it. I have a pad under mine as well, thought it might add a bit of cushion and sound absorption. It's not loud at all. I tried several treadmills and was surprised at the noise. Spent way too much time on Marketplace but buying used was just not a good option in the end. No way could I have brought this down the basement stairs by myself. I was able to drag it in from the front porch to the top of the stairs but it was not easy. I hope you can get some help. Once DH and I got it down the stairs to where I wanted it, I set it up myself.

Bunny thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

DLM, I hope this pad isn't *that* hard to move. It's 50 lbs. and once it's in my house there are no stairs. I'm sorta thinking it will live under a bed and whichever room that happens to be in will be where I use it. I have a neighbor who can help me if I can't wrangle it myself.

• Judi
    2 months ago

I used to love going on walks, but with the high humidity here there aren't many months when it's comfortable to do that. Add in knee issues the past year that saw limited improvement with PT and my walks have become few and far between. I did enjoy using the eliptical in PT, but don't have the luxury of room to spare for something like that in our small house. I may look into one of these.

Bunny thanked Judi
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

Bunny, I’m also intrigued by this walking pad. If you are worried about having something to hang into, would a couple of walking/hiking poles help? You could keep the tip covers on them to protect your floors. Just a thought.

Bunny thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Outside, the model I ordered has a rail and I hope to use it as DLM does, only like a grab bar for a bit of balance, but not to hang onto while walking. Apparently that's not good for you. I like my arms swinging when I walk. I've never used walking/hiking poles.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 months ago

I had a treadmill for years that I rarely used and I found that I needed to put on exercise clothes and drive to the gym and the mental stimulation of people around me. So I've been doing that for years.

I had a very good treadmill too and it was set up in front of the TV blah blah blah.

Bunny thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    2 months ago

Well I must mention that I had a great walking pad for most of last year & gave it to my granddaughter recently. I replaced it with a barely used treadmill that I purchased 2nd hand the day before Christmas Eve. I just knew that I needed the safety of the hand rails. The walking pads can be great but I turned 70 last month & my children insisted that I should have hand rails & I have to admit that I feel more safe having them.

Bunny thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago

We've always had one since my first pregnancy. Does Sears still exhist? That where we always get ours. It sounds just like what you want...only our latest is now a good 10 years old so have no idea what for sale these days.

Bunny thanked arcy_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 months ago

Will be waiting to hear back, Bunny! It looks nice and sounds like it will fit the bill for those days when it's just not doable outdoors.

Bunny thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

Bunny I'm going to guess the way this company works on Amazon is you place an order and get something similar - that's not the walk pad l I have! But when I really zoom in on the Amazon pics of the one I ordered, it's not the one I have either! They must have a constantly rotating selection and send whatever is current at the moment. The one my son ordered for my DIL was not the one they got but they liked it so kept it. I have the emergency stop bar connected but do not have to be clipped to it for it to work. Will be interested to know what you think - hope it fits the need.

Bunny thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    2 months ago

DLM, interesting. This is the exact model I ordered online, everything is the same. I know the Emergency thing doesn’t have to be clipped to me to work as long as the magnet is attached. But what’s the point of it if it just hangs in space? Wait, I know. My cats were taking swings at and biting it. I tossed a towel on the belt because cats. Now it’s a popular rest stop.

• maddie260
    2 months ago

I screenshot the model- lol.

Bunny thanked maddie260
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

I returned it. So, maybe it was a stupid idea after all.

It just didn't work for me, and I knew it the first time I tried it out.

First of all, there was nothing wrong with the unit. It seems to be well built and sturdy. The manual is in very odd English, but clear and easy to understand nevertheless.

The last time I was on a treadmill was over 10 years ago at a gym. Big pro treadmill. I kinda forget if I used the rails or not. All I remember was either watching cooking shows on the mini screen or reading a book.

I had this in the living room on the hardwood floor, not sure in which room it would ultimately be housed. After I set it up yesterday I walked on it briefly, just to make sure it was operational. I had to tweak the belt position because it was too far over on one side. The manual tells you how to fix it.

I thought a small unit would be perfect for me because I'm small (5'2" 103 lbs.). The belt was 15 inches wide and I thought, that should be okay. It wasn't. Who knew I could be a wide walker? I kept bumping into the side bumpers. And even worse, I would occasionally outpace the speed I'd set and bump into the front bumper. This made me super conscious of the limits of the belt, which in turn constrained what I feel is my natural pace.

I turned on Antiques Roadshow and set the unit to run for 30 minutes, my minimum walk time. I wasn't comfortable not making contact with the bar in front, as there was no margin for error if I strayed beyond the limits of the belt. Looking down wasn't an option. So, my left arm swung and my right arm lightly touched the bar.

Weird feeling after the belt slowed down and stopped after 30 minutes. Like getting off a boat back onto dry (unmoving) land. It was not pleasant. So I went straight outside and walked around the block to reset my equilibrium and let my legs and feet know they could take up more space than 15 inches across.

I decided to return it then and there. It was a minor miracle that I could get it back in the box relatively immobilized. I don't know how I got it back into my car. Never have 50 lbs. felt more like 200. Fortunately someone at the UPS store came out and got it. I love my UPS store.

I'm getting a full refund to my AmEx account.

I thought this was such a good idea. I can't wait to get back outside and walk. I need the outdoors.

These guys weren't happy their new perch was going away.

• hhireno
    last month

Thanks for the review.

Bunny thanked hhireno
  • pricklypearcactus
    last month

Bunny, I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Kuddos to you for trying it out and determining what works best for you though. I hope you have wonderful walks outside. That's what I prefer too.

We have a Treadclimber from Bowflex that's for walking (not running) and it has two independent belts that go up for an incline. I walk as fast as I possibly can on it when I'm exercising on it. (Usually because the weather is nasty outside and I don't want to risk falling on ice.) But occaionsionally I step off the side of the belt funny and it's kind of scary / disconcerting when it happens. I definitely have that "getting off a boat" feeling when I finish and exit it or a treadmill. Usually goes away quickly for me though.

I also once got on an open treadmill at a gym and didn't realize some jerk had left it running (the lights were on whether the treadmill was running or not and the belt was moving fast enough I couldn't see any markings). WHAM. I have never fallen so fast or so hard in my life. Treadmills can be great, but they also can be a little scary and even a little dangerous.

Bunny thanked pricklypearcactus
  • salonva
    last month

I guess it's dsappointing that it didn't work out and live up to what you had hoped, but kudos to you for making the decision to order it, and setting it up to try and realizing it wasn't a hit...........and serious kudos for getting it back ihe package ....and on to UPS and all that stuff.

You're a take action lady and that deserves a lot of credit. It just didn't work for you.

Years ago i had a treadmill and used it almost every day for a year or more. My kids were younger, and I am a super early riser so it was great that I could do it before they woek up and the day started, regardless of weather and all. It was wonderful and then I just didn't do it any more. It sat in an exta room and eventually I gave it away.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    last month

pricklypear, thanks for sharing your experience. Although I managed to put in a 30-minute walk, I was not comfortable at all. I read that you're really supposed to swing your arms when you walk for balance and health. I sensed there were more things unsafe about it than even the uneven sidewalk that can be a trip hazard outside. Whenever possible, I walk in the street.

• bpath
    last month

When I first started using a treadmill, at a fitness center, I watched tv, too. And when i stepped off, I got that unpleasant feeling, too! Now I know to either don’t watch a screen, or be sure I look up and around often. But it is a lot more interesting to walk with out a screen outside, where the scenery changes around you.

Bunny thanked bpath
  • DLM2000-GW
    last month

Sorry it didn't work for you - no way to have known without trying. I get that 'off the boat' sensation too but but it goes away quickly. In a perfect world I'd be out my front door and my walk could begin and did that at my old house. Here I have to get in a car and drive someplace to a park with a trail, go on a hike or find a walkable neighborhood and park. My old house just went on the market yesterday.....hmmmm......!

Bunny thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last month

I get bored with the same walk too often. I have three or four different routes right out my front door, two of which are along urban creeks where you'd swear you were off in the woods. Other walks involve 2-3 mile drive. I love walking around interesting older neighborhoods. It feels like an effortless exploration. I generally have some errand in town every day so I plan my walks around that. I'm grateful we don't have ice and snow here or high humidity in the summer. It's pretty darn ideal when you think about it.

• Ally De
    last month

Aw, I am sorry it didn't work out. I love my full sized one, but yes they are bulky. (I am grateful for a finished room in the cellar for it.) I wondered about the smaller pad because I occasionally find myself wandering too close to the sides of mine.

They are wicked dangerous. I know someone who faceplanted hard and knocked out teeth. I have stumbled a few times but never fallen.

The stepping off a moving boat feeling (usually?) goes away. I do vaguely remember that but it's a non-issue now.

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

Sorry it didn't work out. About 12 years ago I decided I wanted to try running, something I had always hated. I started small, signing up for a 5k charity run. I did the "Couch to 5k" plan.

Because I was working full time, I worked out mostly at night, and used a Precor treadmill. I only ran outside a handful of times. When I went to the race, it was so weird not to have the "treadmill boost." It was like ...uhh... how do I start? I did fine and was really pleased that I met my little goal, but I still don't like running and no longer like treadmills.

They are also, indeed, dangerous. My son was a only 6 or 7 when we was fooling around with it and fell. He hurt himself pretty badly (not a face plant though, luckily) and tried to take care of it himself rather than risk getting into trouble for doing something he knew he was not supposed to. Poor lil' fella.

Bunny thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last month

Today's in the upper 60s, clear blue sky, spring training game on the radio. Never was I so happy to be outside walking on solid ground, looking around me instead of making sure my feet didn't hit the sides of the machine or that I'd slip off the back end. I paid closer attention to my stride today and no way do I walk in a straight line. No wonder 15 inches wide didn't work for me.

• nicole___
    last month

I'm sorry you didn't fall in love with your treadmill. I love my BIG one. When it snows, the streets are icy and the trails are impassable without snowshoes. I walked around the block, in the street today...and had to walk through slush at one point. Maybe ....when the time is right.... you'll try another indoor exercise machine.

Bunny thanked nicole___
  • nini804
    last month

I’m a runner, and to me there is a huge difference running outdoors vs on a ”deadmill.” 🤣 Outside, I can let my mind wander and enjoy the scenery. For some reason, I become hyper-focused on my stats when I run on a tread. It’s definitely not as enjoyable. We have a Peloton bike that I use when the weather is bad or I just want to mix it up. It works different muscle groups, and is a God-send when I have a twisted ankle (I am prone to these.) Cycling stregthens my ankle ligaments and helps me heal faster. Maybe you would enjoy a bike? It would be a good cross-train for your walking.

Bunny thanked nini804
  • gsciencechick
    last month

The motion of coming off a TM is pretty standard. It does help if you can slow your speed down gradually to the lowest speed vs just hit the stop portion for an abrupt stop. Sorry it didn’t work out. They are much smaller than a standard treadmill so yes you will hit the size limits with your stride length. I’m happy with my TM desk but this thing was designed this way, and it is huge and heavy. It takes up a lot of space in a small house.

Bunny thanked gsciencechick
  • hhireno
    last month

I want a rowing machine but they take up so much space, so I haven’t investigated them too seriously yet.

Bunny thanked hhireno
  • llitm
    last month

I sold my nearly new treadmill after having discovered the fun and many health benefits of rebounding (mini trampoline).

Bunny thanked llitm
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last month

Thanks for the update, Bunny. I was seriously thinking of getting one. I'm a rower but injured my elbow so I've had to abstain from it to let it heal. The best is being outdoors for sure - there's so much more to receive just by being out there.

Bunny thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last month

Since dropping it off at the UPS store, I’ve had the best outdoor walks (false spring here). Daphne is blooming all over town and the scent is gorgeous.