SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Project Bar Closet

Sueb20
2 months ago

I’ve been watching too many Homeworthy episodes.

When we moved into this house, this ”former powder room entry turned closet” was an empty space. It is quite shallow. (Powder room is still there, but entry is in the kitchen, which I guess is marginally better.) Our contractor added shelves and we had it painted the trim color, then I taped up some wallpaper to the back. Five years later, now that we are redoing the fireplace in this room and adding some lighting, of course my eye travels around the room wondering what else needs adjusting.

Here is the current state of affairs. Clearly I have not staged the closet for this photo session. And DH keeps moving his GO SOX sign around the house. 🙄

So, I am looking for inspiration. Liquor is now in a kitchen cabinet, and I am thinking I will move most of it to the lower shelves here. Glassware would stay, candle stuff can go elsewhere.

I think I would also add something like this to the sideboard. Not quite this extensive but look, another spot to use a portable lamp.

I was thinking maybe antique mirror behind the shelves would be cool? I could have mirror cut at a local place and I am pretty sure they have different finish options. Or, of course, I could do wallpaper (and do a better job again). (Wait, is there antique-mirror wallpaper?)

Then I saw this and thought I could also just paint the whole interior a glossy color. Maybe a deep gold, several shades darker than the wall color. Or…a glossy peacock blue, a color that appears in the rug.

I like the idea of a little surprise when the door is opened, if that makes sense.

Part 2:

This isn’t the best pic but would it be crazy to put a piece of antique mirror on the back ”wall” of the sideboard? It might be hard to get it cut exactly right as I am sure it isn’t perfectly square.

WWYD?

Comments (69)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Glass shelves and brass peg things ordered ✅

Wicker tray for sideboard ordered ✅

A big part of my day tomorrow just got rescheduled so I’ll be pulling out the paint decks… I think I’m over the wallpaper idea.

But have I mentioned that I could stencil? darker blue w/ gold stencil?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

So, the flower tacks and the label frames are the same height — maybe too cutesy but I might try the label in between two flowers. Very small investment in the tacks if it looks dumb.

The ”gallery rail” is actually an appliance cabinet pull. I might just use them on the bottom two shelves, which would have bottles on them. I am not 100% sure it won’t look dopey, but I might try it and see.

• Related Discussions

The Tiny Closets Project

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi t-bird...I would like to turn my lower closet into a utility closet. I had an Elfa solution designed, but I am underwhelmed. I am going to improvise. Peegee - ;) My first project - The Kitchen Pantry This is the kitchen pantry, my first project. The pantry door.... The pantry is so small that I cannot have any cool nifty gadgets. But ultimately the goal is to have an organized and efficient pantry. The only "cool" feature is that I am going to go with the platinum shelving. I spent the afternoon taking down the shelving, applying spackle to the walls, and decided on a paint color. I also put together a box for charity. I am slightly ashamed of the condition of my pantry. I try to have a clean, updated home. I'll post the photos with the "after". In case you are wondering...Porter Paints - Weathered Aqua...Why? Because I have a brand new gallon just 'hanging around' the house Next Steps: Sand the walls (there are runs up and down the walls! Darn builder!) Paint the walls, interior door and trim Install the shelving I hope to have everything completed and ready to share on Thursday. :)
    ...See More

Ideas for a Closet Bar?

Q

Comments (1)
    You've got enough room in there for a 4' countertop down one side with a drawer bank underneath it, and 4' of open uppers above it. Put a mini-fridge underneath and a countertop ice maker in there and you gotcherself a booze nook. Now I think I need a booze nook.
    ...See More

Closet shelf and bar

Q

Comments (1)
    http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/closet.htm Closet Rod Height 60-63 inches for street dresses. 38-42 inches for suits, blouses, and skirts, men's pants, and shirts. 68-75 inches for floor length dresses. 30-35 inches for clothing of 3- to 5-year-olds. 38-45 inches for clothing of 6- to 12-year-olds. Distance Between and Depth of Shelves Allow 3 inches between top clothes rod and lowest parcel shelf. 12-inch to 15-inch depth of the lowest shelf. 12-inch depth of shelves above the lowest shelf. Minimum 8- to 9-inch clearance between shelves.
    ...See More

bar stools reupholster project

Q

Comments (4)
    Personally, I would do them either the same color as your other chairs (pictured in lower left of the picture) or I would go with white like the too part of the wall, if white is functional (no kids). You can also do a dusty blue or gentle green, but you already have lots of color in the room.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

I wish I could find a picture of this house. It was in New England, an historic home, and they had wood counters in their kitchen. All along the edge were hand applied brass upholstery tacks. I think they come in strips but also you can buy spacer tools. I thought it looked great.

I like the direction. If you change your mind, just close the door. : )

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Rather, thanks! From that first article, (1) the brass rail install seems easier than I expected and (2) their source for the rails and posts is less $ than what I found earlier. Especially now that I realize I wouldn’t want rails on every shelf.

If anyone is still with me…

Current thought:

The light blue shelves will be glass. With brass support pegs.

Bottom shelves will have rails. Would you put them on the bottom shelf too? I think yes.

Not really sure if I’d put a lamp in here, but I sketched it in anyway.

Or

The appliance pull idea is still in my head. The shelves are 27.5” wide. The pulls are 24, so that leaves a little less than 2” on each end. I like the less-fussy look, I think… as you can tell from my sophisticated rendering.

And I think it looks better with these.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Raise your hand if you think I’ll be looking for new glassware after this.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

HAHA. You know what glassware I keep seeing and want? But its prob more for your beach house. These are totally my thing because they take something practical and easy and make it difficult but pretty. Plus, baskets.

I like Choice 2, but I am not crazy about the name plate thing. I see those are more faux-utilitarian and your bar is not that.

• Lyban zone 4
    2 months ago

sueb , can you tell me the depth of your shelves and width. thanks. i am looking at a project for me.

• Kswl
    2 months ago

I saw those cute wicker-protected glasses on a Homeworthy video, i think it was the California remodel with the microwave near the floor of the kitchen. The homeowner reached up to an open shelf and indicated those glasses, saying they were out so they were accessible to the kids and were used all the time— but they were obviously too high for kids to reach. It was like a kind of weird justification for having open shelves… I would have preferred her to say she put open shelving in because she likes it and can display cute glasses on them. Up high where they can’t be knocked over, lol.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Lyban, almost 28” w and 8” deep.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

I saw those cute wicker-protected glasses on a Homeworthy video,

Yes, they have been in several of the HW videos, like the Schumacher tiger lumbar pillows, which I also succumbed to buying. Or I thought I did until I realized in my jet lagged state ordering on my phone, i ordered leopard.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Mtn, yup, I want those too but keep thinking they’d be a mess pretty quickly.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

$31 for 4 (on sale 30% off, and 20% off with code EXTRA). I got 8. Limited quantities ladies (but alas final sale)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

OK but from what store?

• blfenton
    2 months ago

I'm curious as to why the door is still there? I would way rather see the pretty display items than a door.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

bl, well, it isn't all that pretty inside right now. And I still don't think I'll remove the door when it's prettier, because (1) dust and (2) there is so much already going on in the room (hard to tell from pics here) and I would prefer that the focal point be the fireplace or the architectural details than the bar closet. And, as I mentioned, I like the idea of a "surprise" element.

Oh, and I am guessing my dogs would become very curious about whatever is on the lowest shelf...

• HU-163897337
    2 months ago

Just a few thoughts. Have you considered removing the door? I think i would prefer a fab color of paint, or wallpaper instead of stenciling. I also would not do the brass edging. i picture that more on open shelving. I would line to see what the brass tacks might look like??? i wonder if you could purchase a small strip to try. I also wouldnt do more bunnies. ☹️

Sorry, i like the table, but i think if you add more, its going to start looking cutesy, and i dont see your rooms as cutesy. Cant wait to see what you do!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Sorry Pottery Barn

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

I agre, keep the door

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I love this color. We have a small tile hearth that is almost an exact match, same color appears in the rug and even in the art.

BM Stained Glass

Other ideas for front of shelves…

This is from the A store, too cheap to look good I’m sure, but an example of super basic.

Then I happened upon…wait for it…fabric trim/ribbon?!? This at least would be super easy to buy locally and try out.

Fancy…

Or plain…

Heck I could even try washi tape.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh, this is fun.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Coasters next!

You can waste a day looking at these. Google "letterpress coasters"

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

D—n you, Mtn.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

TOLD ya'

I want @3katz4me to get these for her audiophile DH:

• chickadee2_gw
    2 months ago

https://hambelsgetreal.com/inexpensive-diy-brass-gallery-rail/

Here’s another pretty easy and inexpensive DIY project if you wanted to do the rails. I think you could avoid the dowels and screws and just use glue or museum putty to anchor them.

I think the inside of the closet would look really nice just painted that dark blue even without embellishing it. If I were to use the rails, I would remove those 2 thinner shelves and use the rails from top to bottom. I think it would look nicer than just having the rails in front of the bottles and you don’t have room to easily remove glassware over the rails where the shelves are closer together now.

Sueb20 thanked chickadee2_gw
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Almost done! LOL I just had to try some of the paint in a corner. This is only one coat. I got scared about high gloss so I went with semi.

And whaddaya know, I didn’t just tape up pieces of wallpaper like I thought, I actually (half-a$$edly, fortunately) installed it. I have no recollection of this. Anyway, it’s going to come off easily but the whole closet might not be done tomorrow. 😉

Thinking back to the thread where people are talking about how involved their SO’s are in house projects…this whole time I’ve been blathering to you people, all I said to DH was ”I’m thinking about a project.” He knows this house is my playground so he didn’t even ask. Then this afternoon I said, ”I’m running to the hardware store.” And 20 minutes later he found me painting in the closet. He said, ”Oh, cool.” So that’s his level of involvement.

ETA Oh and I ordered these. Those old turquoise glasses are going to go.

To review, we were getting a new gas FP insert in this room.

Then we decided we needed more lighting so we got sconces and a picture/art light (electrician seems to be MIA, though).

Which led, somehow, to painting the bar closet. And new glasses. And still considering new ice bucket and cocktail shaker and why not, some coasters too.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

BTW chickadee, that solution is brilliant!

Still on the fence (ha) about the rails, will wait until everything is done. I don’t know, I think they could be cool only on the ”bottle” shelves.

• Fun2BHere
    2 months ago

Looking good!

Sueb20 thanked Fun2BHere
  • Funkyart
    2 months ago

I know I am late to this party (always late, darn it!) but I love the blue paint -- in fact, on my list of projects is painting the inside of two of my closets a teal blue. Of course you beat me to it but my project has been on a list for -- 3 yr? 5 yr? They would really only be seen by me so pretty low on the priority list.

I love the idea of the rails for the bottle shelves! (I assume bottles will fit on the bottom shelves!)

It is going to be so fun! Can't wait for the cocktail party! 🍸

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Funky, contractor intentionally installed the lower shelves at ”wine bottle” height. We actually have basement storage for wine, but pretty much any bottle we have will fit. We don’t even drink that much, but I like to be prepared for, say, the next pandemic.

I knew I really liked the color when the paint guy called it ”complex.” Apparently the recipe had a lot of ingredients.

• Funkyart
    2 months ago

❤️ wine bottle height!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Something about it being all shelves just doesn't read "bar" to me. Feeling like the lower half needs to be solid. IDK, Maybe a little gathered curtain covering the bottom shelves?

• colduphere
    2 months ago

I love your paint colour!

Sueb20 thanked colduphere
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Mtn, there really is no space for a curtain there. Let’s just call it a closet, then? Or barcase instead of bookcase.

It’s not like peoole are going to be standing at the shelf mixing drinks. It’s just storage that I’m jazzing up mainly for my own amusement.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Barcase, I like it,

More amusement... have you seen this brand?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I’m not looking at that, Mtn. Not. Gonna. Look.

Current situation. So glad I had an appt that got cancelled today!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

Beautiful color, especially with your rug.

Sueb20 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Threw some stuff in, but waiting for

(1) 2 glass shelves

(2) set of new wine glasses with gold trim

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 months ago

That color is beautiful and it's next to one of my all time favorite paintings and buffets!

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 months ago

What type of paint did you use? I'm in a 75 yr old house so I have an idea of what it's like to paint in older homes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

Great! I think with this iteration, I wouldn't change the shelves.

• Feathers11
    2 months ago

I missed the updates, and catching up. Love, love, love the color. It's also perfect with your window treatments. Loved the brass railing initially, but not sure if you need it now. Impressed with your patch-up work after the wallpaper was removed. Nice work!

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Arapaho, just regular ol’ Ben Moore regal select (?) in semi gloss.

I think the glass shelves and a few more goldish/brass elements (like the new glasses and even the brass shelf pegs) will jazz it up enough and I won’t ”need” the rails.

• Funkyart
    2 months ago

Love the color! It is perfection-- just don't think you could have chosen a better color!

Can't wait to see the next iteration! I don't think you need the rails but I do like the idea of them!

• Kswl
    2 months ago

That looks great, Sue! Love the color with your walls and rug.

Sueb20 thanked Kswl
  • Arapaho-Rd
    2 months ago

Just a crazy thought - would a brass tension rod or a concealed mount rod for cafe curtains work as a rail ??

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hmmmmm… maybe!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

If you don't have room for the rod, you can velcro them. It works surprisingly well.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Velcro what?