SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deesigner19

Houzz Decor Rules

Instead of highjacking the wallpaper dilemma any further, I decided to open up this discussion to all the Houzz rules as per the Design Dilemmas.

Lots of hard and fast design rules that get bandied around here THAT EVERY HOUZZER MUST FOLLOW!

Here are some I've come up with:

• No mixing warm and cool colors
  • No more than one pattern to a room (compliments of Jilly)
  • Replace all base cabinets with drawers (compliments of ptreckl)
  • All kitchen cabinets MUST go to the ceiling!!
  • All rooms must have 4000K LED lighting
  • NO separate toilet rooms!
  • Subway tile (aka any rectangular tile) rocks!
  • Subway tile is verboten!
  • Monochromatic gray rooms are the height of chic, any other color is "dated"

Please feel free to add your own, there are so many!

Comments (300)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

One of the misconceptions I see here is that you should look to colors of your clothing when decorating your house. That may work for some people, but not for all.

For example, my sisters are both wonderful artists. One dresses all in black or navy blue, but she loves colors in her interiors. She recently selected pink for her living room, but would not ever be caught dead in a pink dress or suit.

The other loves all colors, except red. She wears lots of colorful clothing, and her house is blue, gray and beige.

I also love lots of color in my surroundings, both interior and exterior. Florals inside and out make me happy, as do checks, toiles, and stripes of all colors. However, again, my clothing is mostly black, blue and green. I use brighter colors in scarves, shoes, boots and gloves.

I'm sure there are as many people whose interior decor mirrors their closets as those whose do not.

• Paul F.
    last month

Auctions are a great source of potentially inexpensive art. This is one of my favorite pieces and it was just $400 at a small auction 12 years ago. It is a print... one of 80 in the edition, printed in 1987. The artist has artwork in the Smithsonian. He was killed in 2006 when one of his sculptures (commissioned by the Denver art Museum) collapsed on him. I feel lucky to own this in a way that I don't feel about some other mass produced art I have purchased. Knowing details about the artists definitely effect the way I feel about art I have to say.

After I'm done with it it will go back to auction with me linked to the provenance... I'm just the caretaker. It's about ready to reframe. It's getting a finger jointed oak frame with museum glass which will cost about 3 times what I paid for it but worth every penny for the way I feel when I look at it.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Paul F.
  • Related Discussions

Deconstructing a room and decorating *rules*

Q

Comments (38)
    Thanks again! Unfortunately, DD lives in another state. Not too far but definitely not an afternoon drive. She is/was a mortgage processor and when the housing crisis began, she had to follow the money. Dlm2000, I'm torn over the Cub's hat. Even though I lived in Wrigleyville, and was a Cub's fan, my heart belongs to the Milwaukee Brewers, lol. It wasn't a problem when they were in different leagues, but now... Cooperbailey, the only pic of myself I've shown was five years old. I'm 57 and the years are starting to show. :( Amy, I agree. This look is so much easier to pull off with mega$$$. Like the Paris atelier with layers of threadbare, antique orientals. Not quite the same done in Home Depot polypropylenes. Bru, "I just don't want someone telling me that I can use 2 different curtain rods in the same room and it's fine. To my eye, no it's not fine, it's tacky. Some lines I will cross and some I won't. I have my own rules also." the rods are the same, it's the finials and rings that are different. I purposefully chose an extreme example to show what my tolerance is for pattern. For some reason, I feel more at peace with a room like this than one that is much more pared down. I was raised in chaos so maybe my brain is wired that this is normalcy. (deep, huh? lol) Red, I see women like that walking down Michigan Avenue (Chicago). It sure takes a certain air of confidence to pull it off, but they manage to don't they?
    ...See More

What is the decorating rule of thumb for this

Q

Comments (15)
    I love the idea that red offers a splash of excitement. Semms like the rest of the decor is neutral. What I see is that your bedroom is all neutral. So, bring in that splash of excitement in the MBR because you can see it if you leave your door open. If the room is long, and there is some floor space at the foot of the bed, you might put a chair and table there that matches the LR open space. If not, you could put a red throw since it would the the closest to the door in view. A red pillow to bring your eye back a little. Or red flowers on the night stand. I would do this when you are entertaining friends and they can see into the room, this way that room is festive also. The other posters are right, the rule of thumb is to have it flow together. I also feel that when you decide to add drama with high contrast (a color that pops) you really need to carry that throughout because it becomes obvious if done only once. Decorating is easier to understand when working in layers. Your walls & floors, all the 'case' or 'box' all will sit in, then main pieces, pretend your room is empty of all else but major furniture and walls, drapery. Does it flow? Then supporting pieces, if they do not flow with main, do they flow together? Such as (to make my point easier to understand) all tree branch and natural shaped end tables, and metals flow together (you can always break the rules). Then lighting for task, general lighting done, then accessories, do they flow together, for example, all about birds and nests (reflecting the wood branch metal tables, etc.) again simplified to make my point easier to envision. Then you would have a cohesive look. Now, being creative, artistic, and adventurous, we can bend all the rules and decorate any way we want and move things around until it is pleasing to US first... don't worry about pleasing others, it is your nest, your home. I would love to see photos! Here is a link that might be useful: My home Blog
    ...See More

"Rules" for decorative glass doors vs plain glass?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not sure it is overthinking though I've never heard of rules. I go by what my eyes respond to. For example, I have muntins on the garage windows and I asked DH to build vine trellis to mimic muntins. as for a house. I would have no muntins, just solid glass to eliminate lines. Solid glass allows one to get fancier with tiling or brick or even wallpaper, IMO. However, solid glass (no muntins no iron scrolls, etc) is the most expensive option. signed: over-thinker (or maybe not)
    ...See More

New Houzz rule needed!!!

Q

Comments (10)
    I started a thread several years ago about receiving a gift via Amazon with no idea who sent it. In the last few months, it kept popping up with new responses. I even edited it to say at the very beginning that the thread was several years old. Someone responded to it again a few days ago so I decided to just delete the whole thread. The people who kept responding to it were not regulars here.
    ...See More
  • HU-918119203
    last month

On the subject of art, I find vintage and antique posters, maps, and prints to be a relatively affordable way to decorate with meaning using items that may appreciate or at least hold their value over time and allow you to build a collection and learn about artists, subjects, methods of printmaking, etc. But most people just want stuff to fill space on the wall, and I get that too.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked HU-918119203
  • KW PNW Z8
    last month

Paul F - what a story about your piece! I had thought it was a cobra but on closer inspection looks like diamond back rattlesnake. Is it a pencil drawing or water color?

• Paul F.
    last month

This is a lithograph of the original color pencil drawing with a sprinkle of gold glitter that only shows in the sunlight.

I found a gallery selling one of the 80 in the edition so I inquired about an hour ago. They just responded! I think I scored 12 years ago. That's sure not going to happen with my HomeGoods pieces.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Paul F.
  • ilikefriday
    last month

@Jennifer Hogan

I love dark wine red, especially with periwinkle blue. I have been wanting a room with that color combo for a while. The problem is I have run out of rooms.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked ilikefriday
  • KW PNW Z8
    last month

Paul - Oh my goodness! Sad story about the artist’s demise but sounds like he was able to do what he loved during his too short life. Makes the art much more valuable to know the story behind it.

@ilikefriday - I have a ’dark wine red’ - merlot toned - leather sofa & chair which I pair with rich goldy yellowy tones in rugs & lamps. Periwinkle is a happy color but never thought of it as a companion color. An artist I’m not!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Often? I do a little jamming down the tonsils, and before everyone twists a knicker?

Yesterday.....helping my man client get his new primary bedroom back together.

I adore him despite all his neuroses, and he puts up with me because he has loved every single thing we've done in his home. It's just that his knee jerk reaction to color...mmmm well? it scares him!

I hated this room. It was MEH! A blah beige loaded with fine reproduction furniture, and while the four poster was great, we didn't need THREE matching chests. We didn't need the dumpy looking lamps. That said, he has wonderful art.

Convo......over a week....

" Needs a deep rich color"

"No, I just want it light"

"It looks nervous, it makes the furniture look heavy, we can swallow it, make it richer, make the room appear larger...."

"I just want it light"

Finally, I mixed the rich and deep Ben Moore, Epingle, left the paint on a board with a note:

"I can only advise , just saying do you want okay, or do you want to knock your own socks off?

Day two....

Painter paints a single wall.......he's not sure, next day painter paints all four and with luck we have fantastic coverage.

" I'm not hating it...."

"Babe, the painter is tapping a toe...lets go for it?" It's paint, not a hole in the wall!"

Alas......yesterday, hanging art, polishing furniture, and blah blah new lamps - and my Saturday is gonzo.

'I think I love it" ( hard for him to throw me the bone)

You don't believe this? Believe it.

(btw, I almost fainted from the joy of the before/after improvement, trim popping from the walls, the art......looked amazing! A worthwhile "fight" indeed.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jilly
    last month

Jan, I looked up Epingle and it’s not coming up. I wanna see!

Really enjoying these side discussions in here.

My ramble about art threads:

I try to frame (ha) my art suggestions around the individual poster, especially what their priorities are. The answers will be different for everyone.

I don’t usually suggest specific art to anyone, as taste is so subjective.

gtdj is a great example. Every time she posts about art/other decor she finds, she gets pushback (as she posted above). She loves certain colors and almost always gets told she needs to add other colors to make her room more colorful. Her house is the complete opposite of mine — cool tones to my warm tones, semi-monochromatic to my colorful, graceful to my rustic — and I love it! Her rooms are so beautiful, serene, and elegant. And she finds art that continues that feel. She knows what she wants and will go out that very day to find choices to decide on, to ask about here. I so enjoy her threads, even if sometimes just lurking because I don’t have advice to give.

One factor I think doesn’t get taken into account enough, regarding all facets of decorating, is how we can only go by photos here. Photos — one dimensional, flat, colors not exact, scale difficult to gauge (even with room measurements), etc. In some cases, that’s not a big deal, but in others it makes all the difference, and can definitely make a thread chaotic. Again, using some of gtdj’s threads as an example — no matter how many times she says her photos aren’t showing colors well, that they look a bit muted and washed-out, some don’t believe it, which influences their (always well-meaning) suggestions. If we were all in her room in person, of course it would make a huge difference.

Fortunately, gtdj understands this, and has a strong sense of what she wants …. not all OPs do. I think it’s always helpful to ask lots of questions to get an idea of an OP’s personality, how they live, as many photos in different lighting as possible, and on and on. (I’m stating the obvious, I know.)

All in all, though, despite my tongue-in-cheek posts elsewhere here, I think these boards are pretty damn fantastic. I learn new things constantly. And this thread has made me reevaluate my own shortcomings as a poster, as well as laugh, so thank you, everyone. :)

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Lol Jilly, I can't find the damn color either! Anyway..the room looked to die for.....just rich, elegant, masculine enough but not man cave.

More importantly, those are the days that make me realize I will drop dead on a picture nail, or falling down a stair. These are the client scenarios that aren't about being right, or more right than the client.

It IS what they get a designer for. I figure better to take a little heat, yes that means push sometimes. But the go along, get along thing doesn't always deliver the result. I figure I get paid to deliver : ) the r.e.s.u.l.t.

I told him " "trust me on this: If it should turn out I hate it? You shall be first to know. "

Gotta trust your gut .

• Mindy Binder
    last month

I still don’t know why the sink shouldn’t be across frontage cooktop. This Houzz rule I can’t find anywhere else! I see lots of rules with only a few kind pros explaining the reasoning behind it. I know that we broke a lot of rules when we built because we like what we like! But we also incorporated a lot of things I learned from here so am grateful for that!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Mindy Binder
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

Jan lets see this color!

paul, what a score! love the snake and the colors. please post a pic once it's framed and hung.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

To answer the question above? So you don't bump fannies if someone is using sink/dw//prepping as you saute.

I don't find it a big deal, and frankly if you have a symmetry hang up? and as long as you have a nice wide clearance? It's perfectly fineand the sink police are not coming, I assure you. Directly behind here.....and 54 inches to bump : ) rear ends

In general · More Info

In general · More Info

Same here, 48 inches clearance

Wrapped views · More Info

• Mindy Binder
    last month

Jan thank you as always!! We have this and we never bump fannies :-) I thought there must be another reason! Maybe our aisles are wider than most. We are definitely not skinnier :-)

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Mindy Binder
  • decordummy_gw
    last month

Full disclosure, I'm posting to get the notifications because I've enjoyed this thread so much.

The comment about the giant cutlery on the wall made me think of a restaurant that has a giant chandelier displaying egg beaters.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked decordummy_gw
  • KW PNW Z8
    last month

@decordummy_gw You’re not alone in doing that! This has been a very fun thread to follow & contribute to. It’s been a virtual cocktail party with the discussion naturally segueing from one topic to another & back again. Thanks to @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC for starting it.

• palimpsest
    last month

I think there are a lot of assumptions made in the Kitchen Forum about how kitchens are supposed to function for everyone, and the forum seems to be skewed toward people who apparently fancy themselves gourmet cooks who prepare fine dining-caliber meals as a spectator sport on a fairly regular basis, and people who scratch cook from their own gardens and all sorts of things that really don't reflect what the majority of American do in kitchens on a weekday basis. That may be what the majority of the people who are interested in frequenting a place the like the Kitchen Forum for years on end actually do, as opposed to the average kitchen user and that's fine. But insisting that everything has to be done their way or the highway really leaves a lot of people who are working with a typical, possibly relatively compact kitchen space, that's going to be used to do rather ordinary cooking most of the time, out in the cold.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked palimpsest
  • bichonbabe
    last month

I cringe when I see posters asking about building tract homes and are advised by many to just put in all builders grade materials and then re-do everything once they move in! That's not good advice in my opinion as it's more costly and stressful in the long run. There is a post today that suggested not putting in a kitchen at all prior to moving in ! I seriously suspect that these suggestions are made by people that have never actually built a tract home.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked bichonbabe
  • Jilly
    last month

I agree so much, bichonbabe.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You could ask....why does a tract home not come with "levels" ? Upgraded lighting, paint options etc? The level 1 kitchen package up to level 4 kind of thing.....?

One reason. Price, quality, delivery. You get two.

Second: Time is money

Third: Time is money

That builder can't rely on supply at the upper reaches, and isn't hanging around while he waits for the pendant from Visual Comfort : ) or a stone shop to get more Taj Mahal.

The tract concept began with Levittown -those young married couples, post WW11 needed a home, and wanted to start a family asap after the disruption of war. .

It's not that tract is bad housing, even today, anymore than Levittown was a bad concept! They go up fast, the limited options within make them very profitable for a builder and within reach for a buyer.

Spec homes are a step up, fewer in number for obvious reasons - smaller parcels of land bought by a builder equals fewer homes. Often, you see more upgrades within. It's finished, staged, you like it or you don't. Call it the land of mud cubbies, wainscoting, white kitchens, pale gray paint, and decent trim packages?

Semi custom widens your options as it upgrades the materials and selections in any category. A few interior framing changes aren't a big deal, usually. But even that isn't true custom.

Is custom always better or even the best? It may or may not be. A lot of "design build" can end in the wth were we THINKING category, unless the project is a team collaborative of excellent skills and very good listeners. You see a lot of potential disasters right here in these threads, right?: ) Yup.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last month

I am absolutely astounded at the number of posts on this discussion, and am also enjoying reading everyone's very astute and kind comments.

Thank you all for your thoughts--keep them coming!

• PRO
    Original Author
    last month

And Jan, get the name of that color--we're all in suspense!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I can't remember! I don't know how "Epingle" got stuck in my head, the board is in my car...

Honestly, it was probably the nail biting, head scratching, begging...prodding, pushing to talk him into it . Brain fry!

• decordummy_gw
    last month

@ KW PNW Z8

LOL It started like coffee around the kitchen table and moved to pour yourself a cocktail and pull up a lawn chair, we're going to be here until at least sunset ;-)

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked decordummy_gw
  • beeboo22
    last month

A good rule I see here often that seems to be the consensus is “Move in and live in your space for 6 months before you make changes.” We’ve been in our house 18 months now. Hired an architect 2 months after we moved in. The drawings took forever for reasons we won’t go into, but while we are waiting for builder availability, we’ve realized we need to revise the design to suit how we actually live and save some money. Despite this process taking forever, I think we’ll be far happier in the end because we had extra time to rethink decisions.

All this to say, I’m SO happy that most everyone here recommends taking your time and living in your space. HGTV/Instagram feeds the need for instant gratification so this might be the only place they get that advice.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked beeboo22
  • PRO
    Original Author
    last month

Everything you just said is so true, beeboo. Also I think anyone who's every owned a home knows that it's NEVER finished!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Crack me up!

LOL" It started like coffee around the kitchen table and moved to pour yourself a cocktail and pull up a lawn chair, we're going to be here until"

My parents loved to entertain.... and here's what would happen at holidays...

Time to head out, thank you...gathering in the kitchen door....coats on.....still chatting.

Now the coat comes off.....still chatting.....anyone want some coffee, a nightcap, one for the ditch as we used to joke?

Two hours later? I'm kind of hungry again...cold turkey sandwich? A little more PIE?

THE NAME for this leave taking?

Armenian Goodbye: )

• S M
    last month

So true. We built our home and have been moved in for a little over a year. I’m still not done. Have been living with it and getting a feel for it, still thinking about colors for a couple of the rooms which I had painted white knowing full well that it would take time living in the space before I knew what was right. Better to wait and get it right than rush to make those decisions and not love the results

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked S M
  • PRO
    Original Author
    last month

A year and you're still not done? (LOL) We've been in our house for about 40 years, and have redone the kitchen (twice), master bathroom (twice), hall bath (once), dining room (three times), living room (three times, and plan to do another!), each bedroom three times. Also added a new family room, powder room, screened porch, pool and new garage. Every time we say we're "done" something else pops up!

• S M
    last month

lol, I know it! By the time you’ve worked your way around all the spaces and should be “done “ you realize that the first thing is ready for a refresh. Especially true with kids rooms for us over the years. But that’s the fun of it for me 😊. The bane of DH’s existence however

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked S M
  • palimpsest
    last month

I have been doing one renovation for almost ten years, and when it's done it's heading toward "time capsule" status. Strictly repair and maintenance only.

It's extremely difficult to do something over a time period like this, it can't really be too trend based because you don't want a house that looks like "This was done in 2014, this was done in 2016, this was done in 2018" and so forth.

• ptreckel
    last month

Have lived in my home for 36 years. It is NEVER done. Like S M says, above…By the time I finish my most recent project (a Master bath remodel), it will be time to start over…. Homeownership, for me, has never been about “being done!” It is about the process, not the product. The journey, not the destination. That is the joy (and challenge) of the experience. Just my opinion.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked ptreckel
  • decorpatti
    last month

We have been in our home for 32+ years, and for the first 18, we did almost nothing (kids, kids in college, no $$$, etc.) except for some painting. Over the last 14 years, we have done kitchen, garage, bedrooms, bathrooms, LR, DR, FR, a small refresh (new paint, window treatments) on the kitchen and FR, and exterior landscaping, new Saltillo tiled walkway, iron/watered glass front door, paint, new pergola, new pool equipment. There are only 2 rooms untouched: laundry and den, and I want to customize 2 walk-in closets, but these would require me to clean them out, and I can't get motivated to do that yet.

Here's the thing: within a couple of years of remodeling my kitchen in 2009, everything I saw on HGTV and here on Houzz was the white/gray/marble or quartz, color-starved, minimalist-look, and I questioned my choices. I still loved them (off-white non-Shaker perimeters, stained island, a non-speckled, reddish-brown granite that looks like a solid color from a distance, but has a lot of character, stainless high-end appliances), but my kitchen would be considered 'dated.' It was much 'warmer' than the new look, but our home is Spanish inspired, so it fits.

Now, almost 15 years later, I love it even more, and I am happy that I was not able to buy into the newer trends. I simplified the window treatments, and changed the paint color in 2020 to update a little because of choosing new furniture for the FR, but all counters, cabinets, fixtures, and appliances are the same. Does it look like a 2024 kitchen? No, and that is fine with me...I like traditional styles, my home is traditional, with some eclectic and transitional items, and it is filled with light and things that I love and have meaning to us, including inherited pieces that we cherish. I don't anticipate redoing the kitchen again, though I DO need to get to those closets, the den and the laundry room!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked decorpatti
  • denkyem
    last month

On the question of art, I've been in my home for four years now, and while we have art on a few walls, there are several that are blank and still waiting for the perfect piece. I quite enjoy maximalist wall decor with lots of pieces, but figure life is long and I want time and space to accumulate things that are special to me, print photos from important moments in our family's life as they occur, etc.

A few things I do have up and love:

-A gorgeous big 3' x 4' impressionist-style oil-on-cavnas painting of a cityscape from a local artist, which I got on "sale" for $1000 (down from 2500, and I think now he sells things on this scale for more like 4-5k) when he posted on instagram about needing to clear out inventory. This came at a time when I was just finishing a renovation and couldn't really afford a big spend on art, but it was such a great opportunity to own something special and I love it.

-Three pen and ink drawings that I bought from my favourite barista when she had an art show and they just spoke to me. They show a little girl by the ocean in Nova Scotia, where my husband is from, and at the time I was dreaming of having children one day. Now I have two little kids, including one daughter, and we take them to Nova Scotia every year for a couple weeks by the ocean with their grandparents, so the drawings represent this dream I had coming to fruition. I didn't have a place to put them up when I bought them, but now they're up over my stairs and so perfect.

-Art-quality prints of Audubon guide bird illustrations on the wall in my baby daughter's room. I was going for a garden theme for the room with a floral rug and leafy wallpaper, and looked at a bunch of mass-produced bird decor until I thought of these famous illustrations. They're not too baby-ish and I think will be cool for her to grow up with, but also not so precious I'll mind when she eventually wants to replace them with things that reflect her own interests as she grows up.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked denkyem
  • RedRyder
    last month

This is the best thread on Houzz, ever!

And @JAN MOYER - I don’t know if the “Armenian Goodbye” can be attributed to the Armenians exclusively.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, RedRyder!

And yes, I know of lots of Italians who say good-bye in the same way as the Armenians!

• palimpsest
    last month

I like Irish Goodbyes better: "Excuse me, I will be back in a minute".

(Sneaks out the door when no one is looking to avoid having to make a scene by saying goodbye.)

Actually my SO and I met this way: SO: "I will be back in a couple minutes, I see someone I want to talk to."

Did not meet again for three weeks.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last month

Yup, Irish good-byes are much more efficient.

• JP L
    last month

My previous comments about those recommendations for mass produced generic art - this was presented on another thread as a better alternative instead of displaying one's own family photos in a "public" space in one's home. There definitely seems to be an underlying current of depersonalization and mass appeal in some home decor trends which I find a bit disturbing. I think it stems from staging homes for a quick sale - now folks are trying to live in those staged spaces.

• ilikefriday
    last month

I have never understood public space in a private home. As I sit on my living room sofa I count 12 family photos on the walls (and 17 pieces of art). I can't wrap my head around how any part of a home becomes public.

I think a ton of folks would feel very uncomfortable if I ever decided to have a Houzz party. I'm OK with that.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked ilikefriday
  • decorpatti
    last month

JP L: I think you nailed it with saying people are trying to "live in those staged spaces." I, too, find this worrisome. I often see comments on here saying that people need to 'personalize' their homes, make it your own, add touches that speak to you, use colors and accessories and artwork that is meaningful to you, etc. Then, almost in the next breath, "but please, no personal photos in the public spaces of your home... so contradictory! First of all, NONE of the rooms of my home are 'public' spaces...they are all spaces that belong to me and my family, and if others don't want to see personal items in my home, then they should not come over. We live here 24/7, and want to surround ourselves with the things that matter to us. Most of our photos are in the hallway, but I have a few cherished ones in the LR of my children when they were small, and they make me smile when I see them; why would I deny myself this joy just to prevent offending someone who is a visitor?

• JP L
    last month

Also adding - one of the things I'm MOST excited about in our plans is something that multiple people rail against on these threads - a water closet in our primary. But if I could describe the number of times (almost daily actually) that my husband races into the bathroom just as I'm heading back in there to finish getting ready (even though we have more than one bathroom in our house) - it's one of the few things we argue about. Him being able to go in there and close the door and not interrupt me getting out of the house on time will be a huge quality of life improvement. It may not work for everyone, but I cannot wait!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked JP L
  • Jilly
    last month

I always picture people watching TV, PJs on … while ”the public” tours their house behind velvet ropes. :D

Actually, think of all the royal palaces and other famous homes open for tours. There are usually family photos out. That’s the point! To post pictures of your family for you and everyone to enjoy!

Same with the trope about clocks — “No wall clocks. It’s rude to guests. Makes them anxious. Use your phones to see the time”.

A clock is rude to guests? What in the world. One of the strangest rules I’ve seen here.

As mentioned, it boils down to absolutes. As if there’s only one right way for everyone.

There’s not.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked Jilly
  • S M
    last month

ah , yes! Everything in my home is special to me and our family. That’s what it’s all about in the end. Family pics, my pink bathroom and turquoise kitchen..and if anyone doesn’t care for it, they can stay someplace else when in town, lol

• la_la Girl
    last month

~ it's the quirky things about a house that make it special and fun to visit ~

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thanked la_la Girl
  • palimpsest
    last month

I think public vs. private depends on if and how you entertain.

My parents used to entertain and there were basically three different tiers of entertaining that they did, and the largest sort of party that would have would be between 90 to 125 people, and because of the nature of my dad's work and my mother's obligations, some of those 90 - 125 people were not good friends and really a few of them they did not even like that much. So the "public" parts of the house were the parts of the house where people would be: the LR/DR/Kitchen/Den and the walk out basement, which had a bar and was primarily for entertaining and the kids playing in and those associated powder rooms. "Private" was upstairs and included all the bedrooms, and those bathrooms. This sort of entertaining might seem foreign to a lot of people but it was common in my parents' situation at the time they were doing it.

They would have smaller parties where they were friendlier groups, and they would have even smaller things of maybe 8 people for a relatively elaborate dinner. When they had these parties people would often use the upstairs bathrooms because it was a little more discreet, I guess, especially if it was something relatively quiet like bridge.

So when I was growing up, there were no pictures of family anywhere in the LR/DR/Den , they were upstairs. When my parents became grandparents there were more photos and they were all displayed on one table or the piano. There were never any photos actually hung on the wall. And that's pretty much how it was in most houses I was in growing up. A wedding picture or a graduation portraits and such would be in a hallway usually (on the wall there) , and there were houses where I was never anywhere but the LR Den or Kitchen even though I might be there a lot. . There were also not the gigantic amount of personal pictures in those days, like there are now.

• decorpatti
    last month

Wow! Entertaining was certainly a big part of your parents' lives. I do understand that there are private areas and more public areas in a home; I would not expect guests to go into the bedrooms unless invited. We had a 60+ person baby shower here awhile back; most were in the backyard patio area, where tables and food were set up, but some guests congregated in the LR, FR, DR and kitchen, too. Fine with me. Still, it is my private home (all of it), and I didn't feel like I needed to take down family photos to host this party (though, I did remove some fragile items on the coffee table and end tables, just as a precaution, since I couldn't be everywhere at once).

• PRO
    Original Author
    last month

I always picture people watching TV, PJs on … while ”the public” tours their house behind velvet ropes. :D

Jilly just hilarious!

My kids both live out of town, my parents are deceased, so I love having pictures of them and the rest of the family all over the house. When we have company, everyone loves looking at them.

But it's definitely a personal choice.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

I’m on the team that puts family photos in many rooms. Always in beautiful frames & many in vintage frames of course! I think the only situation that a person should remove all family photos is when one’s home is up for sale. I wouldn’t want potential buyers to be distracted by looking at my family photos & making judgements or assumptions which might affect their potential offer to buy my home.

• dani_m08
    last month

I just read through this ENTIRE thread in one sitting - kept laughing - I’m pretty sure that my SO thinks I lied when I said I was reading something on Houzz.

I find it unbelievable that after so many posts, no one used the word SHUDDERS!

TMI: I’m going to share a deep dark secret - I have a water closet in my master bathroom - and I don’t have an extra sink in it. Disgusting, I know!

Q - are people really unable to use a toilet without transferring feces to a door knob???!!? Don’t get me wrong, I wash my hands after I use the restroom - but I’ve never worried about the door knob on the inside of my WC being contaminated.

But then again, I’ve never worried about mold growing on all of my clothes even though the door to my closet is directly connected to my bathroom. . . Better send out the “haz mat” team.

I think I might need to join a chapter of ”Houzzers Gone Bad Anonymous” -

“HI, my name is Dani - and in addition to having a WC in my master bathroom + having to do the “walk of shame” through my bathroom each morning in order to get dressed, I also have been preparing meals for my family in a kitchen with honey colored red oak partial overlay cabinets (which include 30” wall cabinets that have CATHEDRAL RAISED PANEL doors + have a 24” gap to my ceiling) - for 9, 855 days. . . “

Thankfully, that’s about to FINALLY change!

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz