SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needzhelpz

Can abstract and floral art be compatible?

N
last month

Hello, I have posted before on trying to decide what to do over console table. I really love these floral prints and would like to use one (maybe leaning)... I love how bold and moody they are. I wanted to also incorporate some black/white. I need guidance, or ideas.... or is this ridiculous? Also, considered a large arch mirror or round one... we have higher ceilings. I am not committed to the black/white pieces. Wanted to add some black and colored pillows.

Comments (54)

• N
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Ohhhh, yes I like that idea! I agree with it being busy .... I will have to measure and see if that works. Do you think a large arched mirror would look good to the right of the microwave?

• Related Discussions

Do you match or coordinate your art?

Q

Comments (22)
    I think you can have it both ways. I definitely think there are some pieces of art that will not work with a room's decor. And it's kind of like it's "not fair" to the art, because it is not shown to it's best advantage. I think if you look - and it may take some time - you will find something you truly love that also works with your decor. I don't see anything wrong with that. As our colors have changed over the years, there have been some pieces of art that we have not used at times. I have a beautiful Robert Tino (local artist) that is now hanging in my work office. It would totally clash with our rooms now. There are some pieces we have that have been rotated to different rooms or are not in use at this time. Not so much because we tend to use different kinds of "art" on our walls that just paintings. tina
    ...See More

How Do YOU Choose A Picture - Your Art - For Over Your Fireplace

Q

Comments (28)
    My husband wanted to put up this ugly reproduction of a horse race painting that he found at a garage sale, I told him "give me a week, I'll find something better online!" I wanted a modern look, some realisitc photography, but I didn't want black and white because we have so many b&w prints in the house already. I finally bought a color print of a park scene (some park in NYC, I'm not sure which) at a web site called Brooklyn Prints. Every mantle is different, of course; I had just enough space to put up a 16x20 print in a wood frame. Our fireplace is for decoration only, so we didn't have to worry about heat damage to the frame or the print, but it is something to think about too. Here is a link that might be useful: Brooklyn Prints
    ...See More

My wall art dilemma - again

Q

Comments (6)
    Honestly not a fan of either solution. The first just looks like you ran out of mirrors. The second is far too delicate and scrolly to work with the hard, dark lines of the original. Have you considered getting wall mounted lighting instead of the table lamps? I think this one might be great. The colors in the shade would seem to work in the space, and the square back of the fixture would echo the shape of the mirrors, so look as if they were placed as a part of the design: stacy garcia spice stripe plug in wall lamp
    ...See More

tiny bedroom artwork and mirrors

Q

Comments (6)
    May we see that big piece of art? Is that one he wants to keep? Have you considered fiber shades for the windows? How about putting the headboard where the smaller picture is and using wall hung corded lamps on either side wall with that big art 5" above the headboard? Not sure I care for the rug and it looks to be a tight fit in the space. It is very traditional and you can get a more contemporary one. You might appreciate the washable ones at Ruggable. I just put this one in a kids area in our vacation rental cabin. They have lots of abstract blue ones.
    ...See More
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

Possibly an arched mirror over a buffet or sideboard?

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

I would not do a arched mirror in this space... I WOULD add a couple more drapery panels for a bit more fullness when the drapes are closed.

N thanked Lyn Nielson
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I think original art can "go" together in a space but it really is about now working the spac to go with the art not the other way around . So now if you love the floral ones use the color for other things I even sometimes use a color from a piece of art for the wall color where it is hung . I collect only original art and really design ans decorate with the art in mind alsways.

N thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Lots of art can play well together, but it's important to select art that doesn't come off as looking cheap. IMO those flowers look cheap compared to the black and white art.

Here are some illustrations of a variety of different kinds of art that could be used. You can add bright colors without resorting to flowers as the subject matter.

N thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kendrah
    last month

I have no problem with a mirror, but it would depend on what it reflects back. I usually like them across from windows that have nature outside or some part of my house that is beautiful. But, I presume a mirror there would reflect back the TV, yes?

N thanked Kendrah
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

The mirror if above the console would be across from windows to the backyard area. These are pics of the area for reference

• ilikefriday
    last month

N thanked ilikefriday
  • freedomplace1
    last month

i like @ilikefriday’s placement of the art. You could also use thin, black (maybe floating) frames on the two floral pieces, to tie them in with the black color as well as the edginess in style of the other two art pieces.

N thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    last month

Oh, so now I read about a mirror over the console. That’s a good idea. And if you use an arched one, use a large one, with a thin, black frame. And I don’t recommend using fragmented mirrors of any shape - such as those window pane type mirrors, which are attractive but not good from a feng shui standpoint. And i think the larger floral piece works the best with either of your black and white pieces; just use a black frame on it ( and I see you mentioned possibly painting the current frame. )

N thanked freedomplace1
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everyone for the input... lots of great ideas! I love the idea of the floral where ilikefriday placed them. Now I am just torn between the blackand white pieces and a mirror.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

@Beverly that is funny, I thought the black and white ones looked cheap.

• ilikefriday
    last month

Right now your space is very monotone. There is nothing eye-catching. The floral art gives the eye someplace to land and the black and white art adds more dimension. These additions add interest to the space.

A mirror will reflect what is already there, a monotone space, which is also a nice look. The frame can add interest but not in the same way that art can. From your op, it sounds like you are ready to go in a different direction. If that is the case, I think you should ditch the mirror idea.

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday Yes, you are 1100% right!! I will ditch the mirror idea lol. I will paint the floral frame black and hang the black and white above console. Any opinions on pillow combos to tie it all together? Thanks so much!

• ilikefriday
    last month

I have more opinions about your wall decor. It is hard to judge the height the art will be once it is hung. My mockup is an estimate. I would try and guard against a horizontal line going across the top of the room. I might consider moving the clock to the space beside the kitchen cabinets in order to guard against this. You might also consider adding a piece above the opening where the floral pieces are located in the mockup, or above the black and white pieces.

I have no opinion about pillows. I am not good at selecting them. I do think your space could benefit from texture. Perhaps a textured pillow or throw??

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

I'm all ears lol. So that picture was the house before we moved in- However we do have a clock there now as well. We are panning on hanging the b&w art about 6-8 inches above the console.

The opening where you mentioned putting the floral pieces may be too skinny (I think the realtor stretched the photos).... so I was thinking of possibly the oppisote wall?

• ilikefriday
    last month

Imo that piece of art is too small for that wall unless you plan on adding a gallery. It appears to be an afterthought and floating in space.

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you- do you think that it would look better if I put both floral pieces there? I really appreicte your help as I am obviously lost lol

• ilikefriday
    last month

That would be a great wall for texture. Do you have a textile that could be hung there?

• ilikefriday
    last month

I really like when art is used to add curiosity about what is happening in the next space that is out of view. The florals would add that where they are placed in the mockup. Can you have your male model hold them up in that space and see how they look?

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

Male Model hahahaha my husband would kill me if he knew I posted that picture. That is from last night, but I will definitely do that after work today! I like the idea of them there! And maybe a lighting above the B&W pics? What kind of piece could possibly go above there?

• ilikefriday
    last month

I would add either a black carved mask or sculpture, or something of the sort above the black and white pieces and in the center. Maybe something round.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

On the wall? I am sorry- I'm confused. Do you have an exaple?

• ilikefriday
    last month

Something that adds height.

In order to avoid this.

• ilikefriday
    last month

• N
    Original Author
    last month

thank you. One last question- If I got a larger piece do you think it will still appear if it was floating? Instead of the floral.... I like this one as well... and now I am contemplating getting this for above the table. UGH

• Kendrah
    last month

How high are your ceilings? Your space looks huge and I think you need to consider scale and size of your artwork. What happened to the black and white framed pieces that are hanging on the wall in the photo below? Although they were bigger than your table, I think they were the right size for the wall space. This is a vast room and you need some big art pieces to make an impact.

N thanked Kendrah
  • ilikefriday
    last month

It depends. I would need to know the dimensions of the piece as well as the table and wall.

It is fine to move pieces around. I have lots of art and move it all the time. However there is nothing worse than trying to get by with a piece that is too small. Most people go too small because art is expensive. Rather then too small, it is better to do a gallery wall of various sizes imo.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

My ceilings are 12ft. I agree- I like the way the black and white look there... I am just so indecisive about the piece- if it is too sharp/edgy looking. (if that makes sense) And now wondering if I would get tired of the floral. I love the colors, though. The small floral is 24x30. The black and white are 40x30- the table is 64 in wide.

• ilikefriday
    last month

The floral is too small for the table.

If you are on the fence about the art then I suggest you move on and keep looking. Personally I really like the black and white in your space and I do love the colors in the florals but I dislike floral art. I love edgy decor. I think whatever you select should be something you love, not simply like.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

I sound crazy, but I think I will keep the B&W and soften the sharper edges of the abstract lines with some black paint. And possibly add some embellishments, incorporate some roundness (?) such as....

I am also worried that as much as I love the floral, I will get tired of it. So I may possibly use that in another room. Maybe get a colorful piece for the other wall that is not floral like this with a black frame?

• ilikefriday
    last month

I'm all for embellishing art, or anything else, to mmake it your own. That is right up my alley. Go for it!

Imo

N thanked ilikefriday
  • ilikefriday
    last month

Imo those kinds of changes add personality and character to a home.

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

That's it! I am doing it! And if I ruin it I will gesso over and start over lol.

• ilikefriday
    last month

Please post a photo after you complete your masterpiece!

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

"Masterpiece" lol... now that is funny! Will do! Do you think a colorful art on the wall where my male model was is ideal if it is larger?

• ilikefriday
    last month

Yes, and I think you should create it. I would make it much, much larger.

• decorpatti
    last month

As an artist, I am not loving the idea of "embellishing art," but of course, you own it and can do what you want. I would encourage you to find something that has more appeal to you, rather than altering someone else's artwork. While the artwork you show is not to my taste, and looks rather like anonymous 'hotel room' art, if it is a canvas or a print, it is someone's intellectual and artistic property. I would be curious to hear how others feel about this. ilikefriday likes the idea, to make it your own, but I don't think it IS your own. Find something else, or create your own!

N thanked decorpatti
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

I do agree with what you are saying, but these are some pieces I found at Ross. I have searched for weeks with the name brand and google image search when the label was on the find reviews etc. of this exact "product" and to see what else they had. I can not find the brand at all. It is likely giclee printed... the original is Ogaki and Omuta... this is a cheap knockoff.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday I would love the do a colorful one on my own, but just doing black and white will be hard. I work M-F and have a toddler who hates bedtime... so not much alone time at home lol.

• ilikefriday
    last month

Now you are really speaking my language. Imo toddlers are fantastic abstract artist. I suggest you go to Home Depot and get a piece of MDF cut to the size you would like your art to be. Also get 4 sample pots of paint. One color is for the background and the other colors are for the painting. You select the colors, not your toddler. You paint the MDF a solid background color. After it dries give your toddler the paint, one color at a time with instructions to paint a picture of the family. Allow about 5 minutes per color. After it is all done you will have a fabulous abstract painting. This is a project we did several times when my kid was that age. He is now now in high school and those pieces are still the highlight in my living room.

Btw, like @decopatti, I am also an artist.

N thanked ilikefriday
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

What a fantastic idea!!

• Kendrah
    last month

I was referring to these black and white pieces. They are the right size for your height ceilings and width of wall. They take up the perfect amount of space. Where are they now?

Regarding embellishing art - legally art is the intellectual property of whom ever made it. But, I presume in the case of an entirely mass produced piece of artwork like this that is produced and sold by and for a company to mass consumers, the law could be different.

Law aside, I think it is 100% fine for you to alter either of these pieces of art. And I also love the idea of your toddlers creating something too.

N thanked Kendrah
  • N
    Original Author
    last month

Those art pieces were from the former owner. I loved them. I reached out and found out where she got them, but unfortunately I can't find them. 😕 i would never embellish or modify an artist's painting. This is definitely a mass produced printing type. I also love the idea of my toddler painting!

• N
    Original Author
    last month

I am in-between these two pieces for this spot. Also, as to what size I can get away with. The kids of the painters tape is 35in. Any input? Thank y'all so much!

• ilikefriday
    last month

There is a window of time when most toddlers are really great painters, around 2yo-5yo. I have a few large pieces from around that age and wish I would have had him create more. I encourage you to create large pieces with your toddler, 36" and taller, because smaller ones are much easier to come by.

N thanked ilikefriday
  • freedomplace1
    last month

I like the idea of children’s paintings, as well as you painting - but there is really nothing wrong with the art pieces you chose originally - nor with your recent choices. Like this one or the other one you just posted.

You wanted to know if the black pieces could work with your original two florals and they can. I think the larger of the floral pieces can possibly work better stylistically with the black ones - but either of those pieces can potentially work with the black ones.

Art is a very personal thing. Whether someone else likes or doesn’t like your art choice is irrelevant . Art is supposed to be about freedom. And you have the freedom to choose your own art.

Best Wishes.

N thanked freedomplace1
  • Kendrah
    last month

What are the measurements of the former owners two painting put together? (You can probably figure it out based on table size.) Find one painting that size or two pushed together as they did.

You are on to something with finding a colorful abstract instead of putting the flowers and black and white in the same space.

• N
    Original Author
    last month

Hey y'all. So I edited the pieces just a bit to make the abstract strokes more rounded. I'm not done embellishing, I'm waiting for another piece for the opposite wall to come in. I just wanted to hang them and see.... I feel like the wall swallows it. I know sculpture or mask was mentioned for above them, any other ideas? As always, thank you!