SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

A Benevolent Reptile

It's the Year of the Dragon, the 2024 zodiac animal of the Lunar calendar year 2024. The dragon, despite it's nasty fire breathing reptilian looks, is actually a benevolent animal in the Asian culture.

I made my version of the dragon roll sushi, with the typical pot stickers symbolizing gold ingots for New Years.

Happy New Year to all (over 2 billion) who celebrate the lunar new year.

dcarch

Comments (12)

• plllog
    2 months ago

Nice! What's the head made of?

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked plllog
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 months ago

While much of the time benevolent reptile takes on an almost oxymoron image to my thinking (😊) - I really have to remark once again that you make the prettiest food! I can often make things taste good. I don't fare as well at making food pretty - truthfully, don't have the patience to try. I know it makes a difference since you rarely show something that doesn't make me want to at least taste.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Wow - that's pretty spectacular!

• palisades_
    2 months ago

Beautiful!

I wonder if the dragon eyes come from pomegranate arils. And for the gold ingots, may I suggest to add a little turmeric powder in the batter to make them golden. Happy new year!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked palisades_
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 months ago

Your presentations always leave me speechless at your skill.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago

Artistry with food! But can't lie I wouldn't touch any of it. SCARY!!!

• Lars
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

What is in the sushi roll? Does it have avocado on top?

I do not see how any batter was used to make this.

What is inside the pot stickers? I usually make gyoza instead with pork and serve it hot, and I make it with gyoza wrappers that I buy.

Dragons do not scare, but I'm curious as to what the heat was made of. It looks like it was carved from a huge mushroom or mushroom stem.

How many people were you serving?

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Lars
  • nicole___
    2 months ago

WOW! Home made pot stickers....YUM! You outdid yourself with THIS one....just WOW!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked nicole___
  • palisades_
    2 months ago

I do not see how any batter was used to make this.

That would be an extra step to brush a thin liquid mixture of turmeric tapioca onto the ingots before frying/steaming.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked palisades_
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

This was a fun project and a nice cultural learning project.

Five eaters, 2 were Chinese, before the recipes were finalized, I consulted them about details so I would not commit cultural offensive ideas in the execution. On the other hand, I did want to try out new ideas. For instance, typical dragon rolls are without head or tail. That would not be acceptable for lunar New Year meal. Everything must have a good beginning(head) and end(tail). Therefore, this dragon had a head and a tail, There was no skill involved in making the head. I discovered (and some people have stolen the idea and claim they invented it) turkey neck bones naturally look like monster’s head. I only glued on horns and tooth pick teeth, and yes, pomegranate seeds for eyes. The inside of the rolls were asparagus, smoked salmon, avocado, shred carrot and enoki mushrooms.

I agree. It would be interesting if the pot sticker wrapper was colored yellow.

The pot stickers’ inside? I think I was very creative (or lazy?) I used Italian sausage for the meat because I didn’t have time to do everything. According to the Chinese thinking, it would be very good (but very uncommon) to use Italian sauage for the meat, because the Chinese call Italy義大利, which literally means “Wishing For Prosperity”

There were a few other dishes, king crabs, Dungeness crabs, lamb chops.

Question? Why so heavy on seafood dishes? Simple. The dragon is a marine reptile. And BTW, the green stuff under the dragon is pickled seaweed.

Pictures in the cell phone. Haven’t had time to find them and post.

Happy New Lunar Year to all. No I am not late. The celebration is from 2/10 to 2/14.

dcarch

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 months ago

Wow! That is an impressive presentation!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked mxk3 z5b_MI