SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Sn-Sz daylilies 2024

sherrygirl zone5 N il
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

We are starting the week with the last half of the S daylilies.

I had several S daylilies that didnt bloom last season.

Sweet Isabella is a favorite… lower bud count last season.

Sweet Autumn Mist.

Sunday Gloves has marvelous substance. It stands up to all day sun and looks as good at 8 pm as it does at 8 am.

Stone Palace Divine..cant say enough good things about this daylily, great increase and good performer here.

Stephanie Returns is a reliable performer, holds up well in the sun.

Starmans Quest is doing well in too much shade.

Solar Blast has had good increase and bud count, did well last season.

Soco Gap has perfect blooms always, needs a better spot.

Soft Hearted Mother has been slow to establish. It got a new spot last season and hoping it improves.

Storm Shelter struggled last season.

Sherry

Comments (17)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 months ago

Sherry: Nice to see another Hensley red in Socco Gap. I hadn't seen it before (always have to qualify that with "that I remember right now"). Your picture of Stephanie Returns is beautiful. She looks just like a girl's named daylily ought to.......I have a few I can post:

SOUR PUSS. I've had it a very long time now. A bit tender (SEV) in a pot so in comes into the garage over winter. Big round happy face for early spring.

I'll be the first with SOUTH SEAS as so many grow it too. Another one I've had for many many years. It has been rock hardy outside over winter:

The color, the form, the heat hardiness has made this Emmerich a must have for me.

SWEETEST NAME I KNOW:

This is what first attracted me to daylilies. I'm still a sucker for a pink with yellow ruffles.

SWEET SUMMER SECRETS:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • lilykate7a
    2 months ago

Sherry, Stephanie Returns is a cute one and Stone Palace Divine shines in that clump!

Maryl, I always like Sour Puss photos-yellow and big and flat! That’s a great photo

of Sweetest Name I Know.

Stardust Dragon-good performer for me although others do not report that

A backlit Stop the Show

Spacecoast Royal Rumble-slow to increase over several years

Spider Miracle

Song of Promise-looks good in a clump

Stargate Portal has made a large clump, fortunately, because bud count is usually low in its shaded spot

Spacecoast Better Late-often has low bud count

Stippled Stardust

Substantial Evidence

Sweet Isabela

Soft Contrast

Sweetest Name I Know

Soft Summer Morning-aptly named

South Bound Odyssey

Sweet Serenity

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • Brad KY 6b
    2 months ago

Sherry, Sweet Isabella is indeed a very pretty flower! Kate, Sweetest Name I know is so beautiful, always look forward to it being posted!!

Solomon's Robe

So Lovely with a damsel fly.

South Seas

Sovereign Queen

Stealth Bomber has been amazing the past 2 or 3 years.

Strutter's Ball

Sugar Magnolia

Sun King

Spider Miracle

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • lilykate7a
    2 months ago

Brad, I love the look of Sovereign Queen, one I had many years ago. Alas, the great vole invasion pretty much wiped out that bed which held most of my Munsons. Stealth Bomber looks great-another one that was subpar for me last season.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 months ago

I like Stephanie Returns. Those reverse bitones are a favorite here. Of course, Sweet Isabella always catches my eye. Solomon's Robe is a beautiful rice color.

There is definitely nothing delicate about Snarl's color.

Snidely Whiplash is one of our favorites from Canada.

So Beautiful to Me is a delicate beauty.

I am not sure how I feel about Solaris Symmetry. I do like the shape of the eye though.

Something in my Teeth is a beautiful flower on a petite plant (at least in my garden).

Sonoran Desert Rose

Spacecoast Cheese Whiz is a small flowered tet.

Sportin' Life

Spots Before My Eyes is heavily stippled. I wouldn't say it's pretty.

This photo makes the petal color more white than it really is. This is St. Louie Blues.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 months ago

Stabia has a tall scape.

Steeple Jackie is a tall late blooming daylily with tiny little flowers.

Stormy is new to the garden and it looks like it will be a great grower.

Summer Fun in Twenty-one is a tet uf whose petals twist and turn.

That's all for me.

• shive
    2 months ago

Kate - That is a beautiful clump of Stardust Dragon! I'm the one who lost it twice. It sure does love your garden though.

Brad - Stealth Bomber is looking good, and so is Sugar Magnolia.

Sherry - Your clump of Stone Palace Divine is impressive!

Maryl - So Sour Puss is one that you value so much you overwinter it in your garage. Your photos of it are always so nice!

Nan - I think my favorite of yours is So Beautiful to Me!

Smug is still languishing in a pot.

So Irresistible put on a decent show last summer.

Soli Deo Gloria had its best season ever - but that's not saying much. I can't get it to multiply - still only two fans.

Spacecoast Francis Busby only bloomed on a couple of fans, and the deer ate those buds pretty quickly.

Spacecoast Irish Illumination is short and lost a fan. I think the grubs got to it.

Spacecoast Alpha Wolf was new and only had a few buds.

Stone Palace Rejoice Happy Go Lucky

Star Lord has been a top performer for two years.

Stenciled Infusion had a subpar year.

Steven Scott Derrow finally showed a pattern.

Stolen Heart had very short scapes but bud counts in the 20s. It readily set pods and rebloomed.

Strawberry Alarm Clock was shorter than usual but had a decent amount of buds. It rebloomed well.

Such a Blaze is my most sunfast red.

I finally got Sugar Magnolia out of the shade last Spring.

Summer Kate was a first time bloomer. The flowers were gorgeous. It needs to be in a sunnier spot though.

Summer Snowball was short and short on buds last year.

Sun Temple Spirit lit up the late season.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Brad KY 6b
    2 months ago

Nancy, I always love seeing Snidely Whiplash. I also like Stormy and Summer Fun.

Debra, Star Lord and Steven Scott Derrow are my favorites of yours. Nice to see your Sugar Magnolia.

Brad

• Brad KY 6b
    2 months ago

David, Super Model and Southern Cotton are my favorites of yours. SUSQUAHANNA GREAT BALLS OF FIRE is quite interesting.

Brad

• shive
    2 months ago

David - Southern Cotton is a real beauty. Sweet Isabela is always one of my favorites. Super Model looks nice, and I like your photo of So Beautiful to Me too!

Debra

2 months ago

David, I really like Stripe the Town. It's such an improvement over Pink Stripes.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    2 months ago

Sweeping Shadows the last couple of years has shown signs of tenderness. Short indeed. Earlier, it seemed to do okay. Next summer will be key.

Perhaps Star Lord will take off this year; it's an evergreen.

Brad's Stealth Bomber appears to have good branching; too slow to show its stuff here, so deleted.

Stargate Portal--always low budcount and nothing last year.

Sweet Isabela--always nice. Scapes could be more upright. Always glad to hear about Evick cultivars. He introduces a lot, but I don't hear much feedback.

Same experience as Debra's with Strawberry Alarm.

Sun Panda --Culver. Very saturated eye. Good growth

Still the One --excellent in bud count, growth, color. Earlier blooming and tall.

Sultry Girls --reliable and rich color. More susceptible to spotting than other Davissons I have. Good height.

Stop the Car --well budded Gossard

Star of India --excellent performance last summer. An early bloomer that must have liked something that other cultivars didn't. Nights were not as cool as usual in early June, so that may have been a factor.

Sweetest Name I Know --newer plant

Stone Palace Ecstasy. --It's growing here, but too early to evaluate. Color is rich.

Substantial Treasure --performed better than most last summer.

Stolen Treasure --subpar last year, with far fewer scapes and buds.

Stone Palace Swagger --I very much like the rich color and size. Other factors still a question.

Spacecoast Hot Lips --sent by mistake by Northern Lights. Very tall.

Spacecoast Red Dazzler --nice color, but plant habit and performance a ?.

Spunky Girls --excellent scape, bud placement, color. Looks great against the estate wall. Earlier.

Soft Summer Night --poor performance last summer. From 2022.

Spinal Tap --short last summer (pic from last summer).

Sweet isabela --subpar

Soft Play --a newer Hanson

Sword of Justice --I like it, but performance so-so last summer.

Storm Surge --newer Hanson

Spirit of Hope --a Korth. Second year, but difficult to evaluate in a bad year.

Sputnik --a favorite early Davisson. Good height.

Snowflake Empress --off year for this Dougherty. Pic from previous year.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • shive
    2 months ago

Mantis - I'm always amazed that your Star Lord doesn't do well. How is Steven Scott Derrow doing for you? It took that one four years to take off here. Your Stone Palace cultivars have pretty colors. This is only the first year for my Stone Palace Happy Go Lucky. I liked its large bloom, and it did multiply from one fan to two by fall.

The pinched throat on Sputnik caught my eye. How long have you grown that one? Sultry Girls has a lovely bloom, but it looks kind of low on buds in that photo. I have a few seedlings from that one that came out of seeds I bought from Laura. Still the One was never the one here after grubs got to it, and it was discarded. Spunky Girls is another that looks low on buds in your garden. Based on performance alone, how would you rank those purple Davissons?

Soft Play is a really lovely ruffled pink, but I see it's registered as only a 5-inch bloom. If it were 6, I might consider it for my garden. Sun Panda makes a showy clump, and at least your Sword of Justice bloomed. Mine did not form any buds this year.

I always enjoy your photos. I'd love to see recent photos of how Star Lord, SSD and Strawberry Alarm Clock look in your garden.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    2 months ago

Mantis, I always enjoy seeing Spunky Girls! It is beautiful; glad to hear it is so reliable. I also like Stonepalace Swagger, Star of India, and Sultry Girls.

Brad

• mantis__oh
    2 months ago

Still the One has had best performance, but it is also the oldest. Spunky Girls is supposed to be "strongly recurrent." Just a couple of years here, but vigorous growth. I will check other photos of Sultry Girls, on a different computer.

Steven Scott Derrow is still out there, but I have given up on it. Doesn't have a great location. Soft Play is relatively new. Probably a bit more than five inches, but not six. Too new to say for sure. A shade of pink different from others, soft yet glowing. Sputnik I have had for several years--some blooms pinched; very attractive, but not a fast increaser.

• mantis__oh
    2 months ago

Sultry Girls 2022

Song of the Sea 2023 --so-so year

Star Lord 2023