SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txguy

BlueStar RNB vs Gaggenau Vario

TXGuy
2 months ago

I'm looking at 2 pretty different options for my new build, and was hoping for some advice/comments/suggestions from the helpful folks here.

In short, I am deciding between a 48" or 60" BlueStar RNB rangetop with griddle and either 6 or 8 burners, or 4 of the Gaggenau Vario modules, likely 2x dual gas burner, 1x wok gas burner, and 1x dual induction. The Gaggenau modules are 15" each, so that would end up being a 60" setup.

There is obviously a big difference in aesthetics between the 2 options, and although the Gaggenau would fit better with my minimalist, contemporary design style, my designer is confident we can make either work.

The Gaggenau provides a mix of gas and induction (which I have never used, but am interested in) but would lack the built-in griddle. But beyond that, I'm unsure how the cooking performance of the 2 will compare. The BS has higher output, but the Gaggenau wok burner is rated at 18.8K BTU, which seems like it should be adequate (and is more than I have available right now). The Gaggenau would offer some smaller burners which seem useful for a lot of everyday tasks, but sadly they'd both be at the rear of the unit (the 5 burner 36" Vario unit has one in front and one in the back, and I prefer this setup). I still have concerns about the low-output/simmer performance on the BS, but I am also unsure how I feel about the Gaggenau achieving its lowest setting by cycling on and off. The Gaggenau would be more spacious, with 15" allocated to each burner vs 12" for the BS (this is the advantage of using 3 separate Gaggenau gas modules vs the single 36" gas module). And of course there is the open vs closed burner issue, from both a performance and cleaning perspective. The BS is dead simple with little to go wrong and easy repairs, whereas the Gaggenau uses electronics even to regulate the gas (the knobs connect to the valve with a wiring harness) so there are many more failure points (although the units being independent should mean the likelihood of a total failure is very low).

These are just some of my thoughts regarding the 2 -- and that completely ignores the aesthetic differences. I'd very much appreciate any opinions, thoughts, advice, or discussion.

Comments (9)