SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Super Bowl Pregame countdown discussion

Oakley
19 days ago

Breaking News. Taytay has arrived back in the states. Get some good sleep Tay and Uncle Trav. As if...

Pregame performers begins around 4:30 cst. Kickoff is at 5:30 cst.

Performers:

Reba McEntire - The National Anthem

Post Malone - America the Beauitiful

Andra Day - Rise Up (great song btw)

Next up is a bunch of guys running around a green falling down and tripping over each other. One of them is famous for his dancing when he's holding a ball at the end of the green behind a long white line.

Halftime Show - Usher and maybe The Biebs. Usher? Really?

Last up are the guys running around acting like children, maybe a big fight will break out if we're lucky.

My pick for the win is the The Dancing Guy

Comments (77)

• Feathers11
    18 days ago

• HU-163897337
    18 days ago

What IS your problem? usher is a grammy winning musician who also writes music and produces.

• Related Discussions

My 'Final' 2011 Tomato Grow List

Q

Comments (150)
    I sent in the "Santorini of Greece" tomato to the swap. After flooding, extremely high humidity, heat, etc. last summer, the Santorini was one of a handful of plants (out of 40+ varieties) that never showed a hint of disease and when everything else stopped producing during the worst of the heat, it continued to pump out tons of fruit. It definitely was the workhorse in my garden and will certainly be considered for another spot in the garden this season. The fruit is ribbed, probably around 4-6 oz. and was meaty like a paste but much more flavorful than most paste tomatoes I've tasted.
    ...See More

Anyone else plan shopping during Superbowl Sunday?

Q

Comments (22)
    Well, I just got back from plant shopping and it was surreal. The freeway between Seattle and Olympia looks as if something apocalyptic happened - there were virtually NO cars for long stretches. And I figured all the law enforcement folks were parked someplace watching or listening to the game - didn't see one patrol car anywhere. My friend and I were the ONLY customers in a HUGE garden/nursery center after the game started. Then we stopped along the way home to get coffee and there were no customers at one of the largest Starbucks in the area- 3 baristas all to ourselves. I think the superbowl with the local team playing might now be my favorite day, because everything else is MINE! Now if I could only figure out how to make that $350 pine tree I found mine.
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. Dec. 14th thru Sun. Dec. 20th

Q

Comments (44)
    Happy Saturday! Well, our party was supposed to be in full swing by now, but I had to reschedule it. Called everyone yesterday afternoon when the weatherman confirmed the bad news. We're going to receive a present early--- 12 to 18 inches of snow, and it's only December 19th. Global warming? I think not!! Most of the dishes I prepared are in the freezer for the new date -- January 9. Hopefully, everyone will still be in the mood to party; we've promised to leave up our decorations and the Snow Village. I think it will work out fine, unless we get more snow that day! The weather is so bad, that DH and I have prepared ourselves for watching the JETS game in our home tomorrow. It drives me mad to know that we have tix to be in the stadium, but I don't think they can clear that snow out of all the seats by 1pm if it stops at 11am, and this gal does not sit on ice!!! Got a chicken dish in the oven on slow cook. Going to do a bit of preparation for Christmas dinner with DH's daughters, and then I'll have some time to finish wrapping gifts. We had time to run out this morning and pick up the rest of what we had. How does everyone deal with buying for seniors? (not that I'm far behind! LOL!!) This year, I bought my MIL enough goodies at Trader Joe's to make up a basket. We are going to attach a gift certificate to her hair salon. She just won't spend on herself but really enjoys the goodies when we bring them as a hostess gift. I've run out of ideas and am thrilled when I think of something! Going to go throw another log on the fire and try to coax DH to help me wrap those gifts. When I left the family room about 20 minutes ago, he was "watching" TV with his eyes closed and the remote slipping out of his hand. LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Later.............. Dee
    ...See More

Super Bowl Commercials - likes? dislikes?

Q

Comments (13)
    I loved the House MD ad that emulated the old Mean Joe Green super bowl ad where the little boy walks up and tells Joe Green he's "the best ever." Green tries to ignore the kid until he offers Joe a Coke. Joe takes it and walks away, leaving a dejected looking little boy standing there. Then Joe turns around and says "hey kid" and tosses the boy his towel, making the kid very happy. In the House ad a little boy says "Dr. House, I want to tell you I think you're the best ever." and House says "me too." Then the boy offers him a churro and House makes a snide remark walks away. Then he turns and says "hey kid" and throws his cane at the boy, knocking him in the head. The kids yells "owwww." As House walks away he mumbles "I really thought you had that." Jodi-
    ...See More
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    18 days ago

Don't care about football AT ALL. My husband is watching. I got the kids cute themed outfits.

• Kswl
    18 days ago

Love those outfits on the kids, Beagles!

Another one here with a husband uninterested in football unless he’s talking to his brother 🙄 Although I have seen snippets of games on the news and internet , somehow I have managed never to have actually watched a football game, in person or on a screen— even though we once hosted a superbowl party for DH’s medical students when we lived in NYC. We had a small TV but they did not seem to mind and just seemed happy they were being fed.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Dont go home with him, Taylor! Run far away. Taking off my Kelce shirt now. A red flag went up after the Chief’s loss at Christmas, now this?

• arcy_gw
    18 days ago

What about that signals check mate? MAGA doesn't take TS's life as meaningful as the left. They will yawn and go on to their way.

• Olychick
    18 days ago

Well, not on twitter, they didn't yawn and go on their way. The conspiracy theorists were out in full force after the game; it is absolutely laughable.

I haven't watched a football game for over 30 years. My husband was a big football fan, but since he died and I quit owning a TV, I haven't been at all interested. But TS and JK romance really has captured me, plus I just got a TV, so I tuned in. It was a GREAT game. I didn't really care who won or lost, but both teams played so well, it was fun to watch. I like Usher ok, but am not a fan of R&B or HipHop, so the halftime show didn't wow me, except for the roller skates! Fans seemed to think it was fabulous!

• salonva
    18 days ago

I watched way more than I expected, because DH was watching it (he's usually in the man cave watching ) in our living room with me. It was a well matched game for sure and I had to stay up to see who won.

I agree about the halftime show. I thought Usher had done it before and I checked and yes in 2011. Apparently there are several performers who've done the halftime show more than once. Live and learn. I only halfwatche but I did think the roller skates were a great touch and the dancing as usual but I guess I was left feeling that the halftime shows are just not what they used to be.

• gsciencechick
    17 days ago

I also liked the roller skating! I thought that was a fun touch. And he was at least singing live. LOL we do this remix of Yeah in Zumba.

• OllieJane
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

It's Kelce, who I don't like. He's gotten too big for his britches-and what Oakley posted shows his true colors. A man, especially your coach-you should be showing total respect, and you do that is just gross.

Wasn't too enthused about TS downing beer on national TV either. She acts like a teenager instead of a 34 year old. Maybe they are made for each other. I guess the more I see, the more I don't like now?

Boring halftime for sure. Very disappointing.

Happy the Chiefs won though! Although, I REALLY like the 49ers quarterback, Brock Purdy! He's a special guy!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Ollie, I agree with everything. TK’s ego is through the roof. TS…agree. Halftime…watched one minute then got up. Travis commented on the shove and never apologised. The red flag cant get any brighter than that! Glad the season is over because I need to take a big break. One more thing, watching the trophy ceremony I was embarrassed watching TK purposefully stealing Mahomes thunder. Mahomes showed class, while his friend showed 100% narcissism, the bad kind :(.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    17 days ago

I watched the game and the ads. It was an exciting game with that last minute TD. But less exciting perhaps for me as I had no dog in that hunt. I have no idea who Usher is and thought the show lacked the spectacle of other half-time shows. I was looking for a good Budweiser ad, but only saw a very brief one with the horses and the dog. I thought RFK's ad was inappropriate and he has since apologized for it though he says he had nothing to do with it. I was cracking up at one ad...can't remember what this one was for, but it was a take-off on an old root beer ad that I guess they figure no one would remember any more. I think it was a radio ad of a guy with a crowd in the background:

I got a beer mug! YAY!

But it's empty. AWW!

But I'm going to fill it up! YAY!

But only half way. AWW!

That's because it's got such a thick, rich, creamy head! YAY!

But soon it'll be empty. AWW!

But I have 7 more bottles! YAAAAYYYYY!

The religious ad was really weird too...you'd think a group wanting to do good would have a better way to spend $7 mil. And it seemed to be an odd mix of sponsors. Can't say there was one that really stood out to me for excellence.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Mahomes showed even more class by letting his dad on the field after his DUI last week. I was impressed with Pat Mahomes bio on Wikipedia.

TK’s going to wake up this morning with an even bigger headache when PR gets down his throat. lol

• Ida Claire
    17 days ago

I've seen enough of the post-game highlights to believe that Taylor would be well advised to run - not walk - away from Kelce. His over-the-top, abusive antics only served to draw more negative attention, and you'd think that since he and Taylor have already become the subject of some absurd conspiracy theories that he would have kept it in check out of respect for her. His arrival outfit was silly too, but perhaps he's looking to become a WWE "performer" next. Those pants looked like they should be tear-away, revealing tiny glitter-spangled briefs underneath.

I agree with you, Annie, about the "He Gets Us" ad. People need to know which interests funded that and what their motivations truly are, as it's disingenuous at best.

• dedtired
    17 days ago

I generally enjoyed the game except for the one hour I switched to All Creatures Great and Small. Im getting tired of the Swift Kelce mania. Hope we hear less of it now that football season is over. The entire Kelce family is milking their moment of fame for all its worth, which is a lot.

That religious ad made me feel a little ill. Ive noticed a couple of them recently as well as Ron Reagan promoting atheism, but thats got nothing to do with the super bowl.

I enjoyed some of the ads. I thought the Uber ad about clearing space in your brain was funny.

• OllieJane
    17 days ago

From CBS Top 10 Superbowl commericials:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-super-bowl-top-10-commercials-ranked-during-chiefs-victory-over-49ers/live/

IMO, the only good one, was the Tom Brady one. All the rest, were just ho hum. Not impressed at all.

• maddielee
    17 days ago

@dedtired

”well as Ron Reagan promoting atheism”

He’s not promoting atheism in those ads. He’s advocating for the Seperation of Church and State. Fab Fabulous concept!

• blfenton
    17 days ago

I was waiting to watch the series premiere of Tracker so had to keep popping in to the Super Bowl to see if it was over so I could tell when to start and end the PVR. Otherwise I had zero interest in the game or the surrounding antics.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Ida, because we're older than Taylor I doubt she knows what a malignant narcissist is, especially with someone like Kelce, the complete opposite of her other boyfriends. We know the signs and thank goodness Kelce is an "Overt" type narc because coverts don't do things like that in public which makes them scarier. Kelce gave himself away.

I've been wondering about Kelce when all those stories came out after the loss on Christmas Day. Allegedly he "snapped" at Taylor afterwards and she flew back home earlier than scheduled. I knew then what was meant by "snapped" when it was said she left.

There is no way Taylor will listen to anyone right now because Travis has loved bombed her to the hilt. Notice in the earlier photos of them in NYC where he holds her hand all the time in a protective manner, won't let the driver open the door for her & Kelce steps in front of him to do it? That's love bombing.

I need to check out RFK's ad. I loved J'lo & Ben Afflecks, alhough I'm no fan of either.

Post Malone, uh no. Kind of the same with Reba because after Whitney Houston's superb 1991 rendtion of the Star Spangled Banner, we've come to expect the same quality which gives us goose bumps. When Post M sang America the Beautiful I couldn 't take my eyes off the metal in his mouth which made him lisp, and there was no oomph in his or Reba's singing to make me stand up and clap.

Pretty sure it's the boycott from bigger stars because of BLM. I guess next year it'll be Joni Mitchell singing. JUST KIDDING! lol

• Feathers11
    17 days ago

I checked in for the halftime show. I'm neutral on Usher, but expect performers to bring their A-game to a halftime show. I thought his performance was mediocre, at best. The rollerskating was fun, though.

Saw memes about Kelce yelling at the coach. Then, tuned in to the post-game when he was yelling in the stadium. Wth was that? Guy, you just won the Super Bowl and you're dating a billionaire pop star. We get it. Tone it down and show some humility. I have no insight into their relationship, but his public behavior leaves me feeling icky.

I saw a few ads, and nothing impressive. I thought the RFK ad was odd. The Jesus/feet ad, to me, was creepy. Both were equally brazen and naive in believing they would influence anyone in our socio-political climate.

• dedtired
    17 days ago

Post was funny in the Uber ad.

• Ally De
    17 days ago

That lack of respect for his coach was sickening to me. Someone who can't control themselves by NOT putting their hands on a 65 year old man - in public, mind you?

I don't want to imagine his behavior when he's "frustrated" in private.

Run Taylor. Run fast and run far.

• bpath
    17 days ago

We watched the beginning, actually came in just as the national anthem started (I thought it was very good, DH was meh), and the end. But the first commercials after the anthem were so loud and violent. I was rather shocked. I get that there are a lot of chest-thumping guys watching and this gets the adrenaline going, but there are a lot of families and kids watching at least at the beginning, and there could have been action without the violence. (Even the trailer for Wicked was overwrought. I saw the musical but didn’t read the book, I’ll go get it from DS’ box of books.)

• Eileen
    17 days ago

I've seen the Jesus ads before but this one was obviously pointing out the hypocrisy of MAGA.

• maddie260
    17 days ago

TS having a beer at a football game? How low can she go- lolol.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Maddie, you’re deliberately ignoring the context of the beer drinking just so you can sarcastically disagree. Narcs do the same. Just sayin…. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    17 days ago

I love "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and wish it were the anthem of the U.S.

• OllieJane
    17 days ago

"Having" a beer is just fine! Chugging the whole beer down at once and slamming it on the table like an intolerable drunk is not what her fans want to see!

• olychick
    17 days ago

It doesn’t bother me. I cannot imagine living under such close scrutiny that I can’t drink a beer however I choose. How do we even know it was a beer?

Did you see Tk’s moment with his dad? He’s a good guy, I think his relationship with his mom, brother, SIL and nieces speaks a lot about his character. No one should be surprised about macho behavior during the Super Bowl. One of the rasons I don’t support the game. We have no idea if he apologized to the coach or not. TS can take care of herself.

• rubyclaire
    17 days ago

We enjoyed watching the game, the commercials and the half-time show. Probably the only NFL game we watch all year so not super fans by any means. It's just a fun time and this year's event was no exception.

Also, not particular fans of Taylor Swift or Travis Kelce but admire their dedication to their professions and the success they have built. Unfortunately, they are under the microscope right now and some folks are looking for absolutley anything to bring them down - put them in their place. It can be argued that they gave those so inclined much to work with last night. They are young, passionate and very successful people and I, for one, am rooting for them.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

No one picked on TS for having a beer! lol Ruby, obviously you’ve never dealt with a narcissist. No decent man or woman pushes an elderly man who then stumbles, then gets in his face and screams while calling him a ”F***e*!” TK is known for his temper & I never knew why until now. OTOH, I’m not writing him off just yet.

A lot of the ”Swifties” have raised the red flag alert.

Seriously, if you’ve never been a victim of a narc I can understand where you’re coming from. The day I went to do an errand for my boss and never returned is my proudest monent. But I was sad knowing my coworker was still there chewing xanax she kept in her drawer. Victims of abuse dont speak up out of shame. Many are put in an early grave and only then people will find out. It’s a specific type of narcissim that I never knew existed.

• rubyclaire
    17 days ago

With all due respect Oakley, I am not sure you are qualified to diagnose TK as being a narcissist. There exists a continum of narcissism from healthy to narcissistic personality disorder.

Edited: I have opted to delete part of my comments that were too personal. Sorry if this makes the thread confusing in any way.

So, yes Oakley, I actually have dealt with a narcissist.

We don't know anythiing about Travis Kelce but I do agree his behavior with his coach was awful. He has apologized and his coach has forgiven him. We should leave the clinical diagnosing to the professionals.

• nicole___
    17 days ago

Run Taylor. Run fast and run far.

Yeah...there just is no perfect person. Travis is a family man...and that may be enough for TS. In 10 years...maybe that won't be enough. There's a time for everything and everyone. She's test driven enough partners to know if she can handle THIS one.

• nini804
    17 days ago

Oh my goodness! Taylor drank something in a cup! Who knows what it was? Who cares?? She is a 30- something watching her bf play in a huge game…can the woman not have a drink? Insane. I wouldn’t take all of TS’s billions to have to live with crazy people who spend too much time on the internet dissecting her life. I hope she & Travis kick back and laugh at the insanity while having the time of their lives.

• deegw
    17 days ago

DH has a theory that most successful professional athletes are jerks. And to be fair, a person has to be incredibly self-involved, weirdly competitive, and selfish to get to that level. There are exceptions, of course, but TK's sideline outburst(s) aren't good evidence that he is an exception.

Acknowledging publicly that the SB incident looked ugly should be a slam dunk and that hasn't happened yet.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Ruby, I'm aware malignant narc. isn't listed in the DSM-5 manual, and it's now being considered as an official diagnosis. The manual doesn't list psychopathy either. I've been around other M. Narcs also and I've spent years learning about narcs online because I'm fascinated with psychology and personality disorders. DS2 has bipolar disorder and he is a huge narc, except he will apologize. One red flag down. lol

I'm not going go into detail of my other experience with a M. Narc. During my son's treatments with many therapists and Psy. doc's, I've spent a long time talking to them one on one via telephone, and in person with my son's permission. Our conversations are kept private.

Because narcissism is sometimes part of BD we went into detail about NPD. Two therapists told me I'm "well-educated" on narcissism.

Narcissism can be inherited or stem from childhood when a parent ignores the child who is desperately seeking the narc's attention. The child later hates the parent with a passion & when the child grows into an adult, they are "hard wired" with the malignant narc. tendencies. That part I don't get. I find it amazing though.

When I saw the picture below, I had a flashback of my old boss and knew how Andy felt at that moment. The victim learns to stand still and stay silent while shaking in their boots. The shaking, I'll never forget that because the trauma never goes away.

This was after Travis yanked Andy's arm then shoved him. If it were any other player they'd be kicked out of the NFL.

I thought about my 13yo DGD and I knew she was watching. Viewership is expected to break records. Because of TS fans. I found this about an hour ago. So true.

About Travis Kelce's Behavior

• Ally De
    17 days ago

I have no idea if Mr. Kelce is diagnosable with anything. I also don't want to argue semantics as to whether 65 constitutes elderly, although conventional wisdom certainly says it is. (Trust me, as someone within spitting distance of this age, I'm not amused either).

It's concerning to me because of their physical differences. Mr. Kelce is younger, fitter, stronger, and could have seriously injured him. It's also concerning because the gentleman is his COACH, meaning it's someone to be treated with respect.

If it had happened on the field between equals....it's part of the game then. Arguably anyway. I'm one of those weirdos who think such behavior should never, ever be tolerated under any circumstances, but I accept that I'm an outlier on this in sports. (Such behavior was not tolerated when I played sports, but again....I'm old.)

The fact that he lost such control of his emotions that he pushed his own coach - screamed at him in the face! - that photo above is appalling to me.

I'm saying if he will do this to his coach, then the line is crossed and he will do it to anyone else. Were Taylor my daughter we'd be having a serious conversation. Yes I know, no one listens to us elderly people anyway.

• Judi
    17 days ago

Some of you seem to forget that football is a violent game.

• bbstx
    17 days ago

Or as Vince Lombardi put it:

Football isn’t a contact sport. It is a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.

I do not want to get into the middle of this, but Nick Saban (second greatest college football coach of all time, second only to Bear Bryant by ESPN’s rankings) left pro coaching and went back to college coaching, I’m told, because pro coaches are not the same demi-gods as college coaches.

• dedtired
    17 days ago

Travis apologized for his behavior toward Andy, said how much he respects and loves him.

Taylor is a 33 year old woman. She can drink a beer at a football game if she wants. Her mother has nothing to say about it.

• Ida Claire
    17 days ago

An adult woman chugging a beer. OMG. Like that is absolutely anything at which to take offense. Ridiculous.

• Olychick
    17 days ago

I read that she and her friend did it to rile up the haters. I love her!

Brings to mind her song ”If I were a Man.” How much outrage would there be if a man chugged a beer? He’d just be celebrating or letting off steam.

• Olychick
    17 days ago

Having a healthy ego because you are talented and receive status and high pay because of that does not make someone a narcissist in the true sense of the word. TK’s mom has said she thinks he can handle all of the scrutiny and pubicity that will go along being with TS because he’s always liked being in the limelight. His brother is similar. For macho football players, they appear to be pretty nice guys. When I heard and read some stuff his brother said, I wondered if he was abusive toward his wife. But after seeing more of his wife and girls, I’m pretty confident she wouldn’t put up with any nonsense. I feel the same about TS. She has this.

• Olychick
    17 days ago

This popped up for me; not sure if it's been posted in a link above or not:

"But it seems like everything is good between the two, with Travis sharing some kind words about Andy during the post-game conference in Las Vegas.

"I got the greatest coach this game has ever seen," he noted. "He's one of the best leaders of men I've ever seen in my life. He's helped me a lot with that—with channeling that emotion, channeling that passion."

The New Heights co-host—whose girlfriend Taylor Swift was in the Super Bowl audience cheering him on—added, "I owe my entire career to that guy and being able to control how emotional I get. I just love him."

The former Philadelphia Eagles head coach also reflected on his dynamic with Travis and how he's continued to help him thrive during his NFL career.

"The part I love is that he loves to play the game and he wants to help his team win," Andy shared at the podium. "It's not a selfish thing. That's not what it is. And I understand that and so, as much as he bumps into me, I get after him and we understand that."

• OllieJane
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I'm not going as far as diagnosing anybody-I'm just pointing out they aren't the "perfect" people some think. I still think TK crossed the line with his coach-there really is a little something off for him to do that to his coach. Most pro football players are a different breed of people-I should know, I dated one for years and then was briefly married at one point in my life. Many are not marriage material. They do have egos and it comes with the territory. But still..your coach???

And, TS has many young mom fans of these little girls that think she's this perfect role model-she's just not. She's not horrible though-just not the best role model little girls will see chugging a beer on national TV. I think many of us are a little disappointed and just thought she'd be more classy than that-that's all.

I personally think she is so smitten with TK because this seems to be the first alpha she has dated. In the past, she has gone for more the beta type-this is something new to her. In the end, she happens to be a magnificent entertainer, and should be notably recognized for that. Again, no one is perfect.

Anyway...I've grown tired of hearing and talking about all this.

• Olychick
    16 days ago

KC fans love a good love story! I guess she didn’t ruin football after all! https://www.facebook.com/100050626383271/videos/1541500086584687/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

• salonva
    15 days ago

Well full disclosure, I watched the game but not diligently, missed a LOT of what is being discussed, and only saw a few commercials that did not impress me.

I saw the discussion of Travis and coach (but did not see it "happen").

Anyway I thought this was pretty cute and I've always loved me Mayberry and Gomer.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    15 days ago

Sgt. Carter!

He always got on my nerves - so crabby 😄