SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Show me your gallery walls?

mtnrdredux_gw
21 days ago
last modified: 21 days ago

I have only ever done a gallery wall that was a grid of pages from an old atlas, all in the same frame. Easy. In fact, does that really count as a gallery wall?

I know some advise just throw anything together, make it free form. I feel that works better if you have a lot of pieces to choose from, and /or you just have a good eye to begin with and can make anything work.

For mockup purposes for the room I am working on, I "stole" a gallery wall from Etsy and I really liked it. Everything in it shares a palette, a mood, a style. I would not buy something prepackaged like this, but I am thinking that to get a look like this I will need to buy some new things specifically to mix with what i have.

Comments (91)

• cawaps
    20 days ago

I like your travel photo gallery, but I'm not sure I like it over the sofa. I feel like the photos, at that size, are the sort of thing that can be better appreciated closer up. But then, I don't remember if there's seating across from the sofa or how far away it is. Some of my pieces are that size (or smaller), and I enjoy them from 11 feet away, though most of mine aren't as detailed as a photo.

I really like the Indian tapestries (they just seem to work with the mural). I like the abstract too and definitely think it could work in a lot of different spaces, although whether you would ever want to use it somewhere else is another question.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked cawaps
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Funny, I was worried about that but I just taped up the 8.5x11 I printed and I am sitting in MBR in Maine. I am prob ~12 feet from it and I don't think it's too small. The room in the apartment is only 10x11 and there is nothing across from the sofa but the TV cabinet, because you need to be able to open the sofa to make a bed.

• Related Discussions

Show me pics of your wall of family photos!

Q

Comments (24)
    mom2-3boys - I have New Venetian gold and also had the same problem finding something without the pink. I had wanted tumbled stone, but they are all pinkish and when you added the protective coating, they got even pinker! I finally found something for the backsplash but never got around to having it installed. lol It's called Ambra Ecru by Magica Here is a link that might be useful: Ambra Ecru
    ...See More

Dishes on your walls? Show me your pics, please.

Q

Comments (3)
    Eliza, I love the colors in this room, the table and chairs look beautiful, you did a great job!!! mclark, this is a great idea! One question though, one of my plates is shaped like a long tray and is a little heavy. I am wary of hanging it on those little gold stretchy plate hangers. Do you think I should find something like Eliza has her plates hanging on instead? Thanks for taking the time to help me out!
    ...See More

Show me your stair wall using shelves!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Oceanna, I saw the stairs pictures in the gallery. However, I am looking for wall pictures with shelves going up the stairs, not stairs decorating. I have that part. I would like to see how people have used shelves to decorate a stair wall. Perhaps, you can provide a link to the site that you are speaking about. I also looked at foyers and entryways. This is not what I am looking for. Thanks. Peachie
    ...See More

Please show me your art gallery walls

Q

Comments (2)
    Although we collect a lot of art, I tend to have it hung throughout our home, and only have a few spots where more than three pieces are hung together. This is one area in our living room. I've hung and propped Western paintings along with framed photos of DH's side of the family, as they are/were Westerners, including ranchers, cowboys, genteel schoolmarms and Native American. I think that adding the other Western and antique books and pieces on the bookcase there keeps that energy going. The other two areas aren't painting and prints, but part of my cross collection and a large grouping of family photos (which I FINALLY have reframed and rehung after 14 years of grousing about them) Lynn
    ...See More
  • Arapaho-Rd
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

The tapestries & abstract are now my favorites, but I do like that gallery configuration from West Elm. This isn't easy!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Fun2BHere
    20 days ago

FWIW, love the travel photo montage and the Indian horse tapestry. I must have missed a step. When did that rug enter the choices?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • blfenton
    20 days ago

The gallery walls that I tend to like are the ones that are more free form in their arrangement with more variety in the frames especially in sizes. The West Elm pack (reminds me of Michael's) is just too matchy matchy to be interesting. There is no texture in that arrangement. You can do better.

ETA - by "You can do better" I mean that you have more talent than you are giving yourself credit for. Don't rush it.

ETA/ETA - I use to have a gallery wall of vintage mirrors. Obviously the theme was mirrors but the frames and sizes were all different as were the mirrors themselves (some were beveled and others were not some were round or square or rectangel) This was a collection over a few years and unfortunately will not be redone.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked blfenton
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

I hear you BLF, but i think a prefer a pattern, if not quite a grid, over free form. i can also get more images in that way.

• Oakley
    20 days ago

Mtn, I understand about wanting the wall to be cohesive. That's a bad picture of my wall, the color's off and it looks pretty small. I was going for cohesive & when I took the center picture down and replaced it with something that doesn't stand out, I got what I wanted.

The mixed frames are cohesive because they're simple and lay flat.

If I added only one ornate or gilded frame that's where the eye would look first instead of the grouping. Anyway, that's cohesive to me.

On the opposite wall I have a grouping of both pencil and water color prints my friend sent to me over the years from England of manor houses. They're in gold frames because it really is a theme.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Oakley
  • eld6161
    20 days ago

Mtn, I like the direction you are going in. My preference would be different frames.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Thanks Eld. Different from the ones I have, or a mixture of frames?

BTW been playing with less white space and more prominent gold frames.

DH really likes the idea of travel photos. I think, TBH, I like the abstract best. I've not even showed him. He would hate it, and then say "you know what? you should do whatever you want."

PS @Fun2BHere, I am leaving rugs until last but I have that one in some versions. The lighting, mural, sofa, floor and martini table are givens. Still playing with paint IRL.

• Fun2BHere
    20 days ago

I like both the narrow and wide frames. It’s hard to tell which scale will look best IRL. Your judgment will be better because you can stand in the room. I like that rug the least of all the choices you’ve shown. I don’t know why, so YMMV.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Probably moot. I am supposed to see several rugs at Tufenkian in NYC next week but they can't seem to find them all.

• Kswl
    20 days ago

I like the Indian horse tapestry but not the scale of it with those sconces. Is the mock up accurate wrt the relative sizes of lighting and art in that one? Do not care for the blue bordered rug with any of the mockups.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Yes, the scale is pretty accurate

• eld6161
    20 days ago

A mixture of frames. But, I do like what you have started.

I had an inspiration when I was thinking of doing one but I can't find it.

I wound up not doing it so it's fun seeing your progress.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Idk, i think becuase they are all the same thing they should be framed the same, and i also always think photos need to be framed simply.

• Kswl
    20 days ago

If the sconces were farther apart and the tapestry was in the middle of of smaller framed Indian miniatures that would give the art more size and weight relatove to lighting, but then you have a very themey situation. However, I think most people when assembling a gallery type wall do have to purchase something similar or some things similar to flesh it out or keep it going in the same—or maybe a new— direction. I would think few people have enough stuff or enough of the right stuff to make a gallery wall without some contrivance on their part, iykwim.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I don't know why everyone thinks I am anti-theme. But I must have written the OP poorly because that was everyone's take away.

I would think few people have enough stuff or enough of the right stuff to make a gallery wall without some contrivance on their part, iykwim.

Yes, exactly

The thing about contrivance is, it is underrated. Especially for people like me who want a room done pronto. I spent years waiting for "just the right thing" for these niches in my octagon, and then finally caved and bought a whole slew of stuff just to fill the space there. And I liked it.

Oops, my bad, the horse is too big --- wider than the sofa. I eyeballed him and got it wrong. He is out of consideration.

The sconces are 2ft tall. I need to make them a bit smaller vis a vis the frames, or mkae the frames bigger.

My family really likes the photo idea. I have to admit, and no offense to anyone who does this, but I have a some trepidation about it being a tad braggy. I did it with maps in Maine but the casual observer just sees maps, not "travel scalps." IDK.

• ilikefriday
    19 days ago

Is the mural going to cover the sofa wall or will that wall be painted? I am a little confused.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked ilikefriday
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

This is more to scale. I also changed the rug so as to lessen everyone's distress over it. Rug also comes in camel. I think the frames need to be thinner.

I like the camel rug better.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Is the mural going to cover the sofa wall or will that wall be painted? I am a little confused.

The sofa goes against the painted wall, as shown. The mural is not on the sofa wall.

• palimpsest
    19 days ago

Who makes the latest rug?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Nordic Knots

As an aside, had never heard of them but found them in a search for "contemporary area rugs." Then, last night I was watching a Fendi heiress on Homeworthy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528Jwu3IpkI), and I recognized her DR rug from Nordic Knots. I like hers too, but prefer the modernity of "mine." There is a subtle detail in "mine" -- cannot tell if they are little hands or claws or just flourishes?

https://nordicknots.com/us/product/climbing-vine-olive

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Pal, for your "green table room"?

• Kitchenwitch111
    19 days ago

I'm late to this party, but I wanted to show MY gallery walls. This is my powder room with antique group photos. The long one on the left has my father in it at age 20 with the CCC in 1938.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

OMG, love, love those kitchenwitch!

• Funkyart
    19 days ago

Love your gallery, Kitchenwitch!

Love how your room is coming together, Mtn .. I get what you are saying about photos feeling braggy but with all respect, I disagree. First, this is a private space. If someone other than family or close friends see it, it is because you are allowing them into your private space. Second, for me, the only photos I hang on the wall have artistic value. Sure, they may represent a special memory but at the end of the day, they are good photos in their own rights. It doesn't really matter if they were shot at the local park or in Istanbul.

Aside: My very favorite photo on my wall was a complete accident! I was at the Lincoln zoo in OK and reloading my film at the koi pond. I caught a very painterly photo as I was advancing the film in my camera. I had absolutely nothing to do with the artistic value of it-- but I'll still claim it as my own!

PS I adore the camel rug ... love the color and I love the touch of oddity and whimsy from hands/claws. Oh! and I forgot... the sconces are SO perfect! I really think they make the sofa wall.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • palimpsest
    19 days ago

I think as much as I like full on salon style hanging of pictures, I am leaning toward one or a pair of abstract prints. The mural dictates against a more random arrangement of smaller things.

• Kswl
    19 days ago

I like the camel rug! The green one you pictured after it, not so much.. i think you need some relief from all the green in that mockup.

The thing about the travel photos is that if you lend the place to a friend they already know how much you travel. If you rent it to a stranger they’re likely to assume you just bought the photos to use as an art grouping on the wall.

I like the photos in gold frames but narrower than those shown, maybe narrow (1”) bamboo or bamboo look wood frames? They would reference both the tropical mural and your chairs in the living room.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • cawaps
    19 days ago

I really like the camel rug, too. I don't think the room needs more green, and the camel is gold-adjacent, and works with the gold in the light fixtures, martini table, and picture frames.

I prefer the beefed up frames on the photos over the skinny frames you originally posted.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked cawaps
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I like the photos in gold frames but narrower than those shown, maybe narrow (1”) bamboo or bamboo look wood frames?

Yes!

Funny, I was just at lunch thinking about this. One one hand, I *am* trying to mix modern in, but the modern elements so far have some curves (the lights, the Serena & Lily martini table, the loops in the rug ...pretty sure all of the rugs I looked at, even contemporary ones, had curvilinear elements).

The framed photos in metal, in a pseudo-grid, is the antithesis of curves and really an affront to the mural. So I was thinking the frames should be wood or maybe tortoise. .Bamboo is another good idea. Still on the narrow side (narrower than those in the latest iteration but not as narrow as the first iteration).

I think I am going to *have* to do photos because my family likes the idea so much. Plus, unlike any of the other ideas, these photos will always be able to find a home somewhere.

• Bunny
    19 days ago

Yes to the camel rug. You have enough green. It needs some sunlight poking through, even if it's at your feet.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I've never heard of Framebridge, but they also sell sets of frames. Not a terrible idea if you are using photos.

Wait there is more... they will design a gallery wall for you and apply the design service cost to your frame order --- hmmm

• 1929Spanish-GW
    18 days ago

Late to the party because I first had to clean my office! Mine are europe-themed, detailed and a mix f color & black/white. Randomly assembled from thrift & ebay. And my vision board is hung on the armoire.

The one painting is by a local artist in my home town. He happened to paint the street view that was in front of the house I grew up in and randomly postes it on FB.

Who says things rendom things are random!

And since I cleaned my office… otherwise known as maximalist pleasure palace

small houses = small mortgages

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Feathers11
    18 days ago

I love that, Spanish! It's a beautiful collection.

• Kswl
    18 days ago

Love your office, gallery wall and that adorable pooch!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    17 days ago

LOL, Spanish. Thank you for tidying up your office for us! It's such a charming, Bohemian spot. Love your fainting couch. I remember your basket-topped armoire from before, but didn't you have a dressmaker's form, too?

As for the gallery wall, yours has such a lovely, unstudied insouciant look that I think is how gallery walls started before they were Pottery Barn-ified. Well done!

• Bunny
    17 days ago

Spanish, I love everything about your office, esp your pup. Is the bed/couch ever used for overnight guests?

• jsk
    16 days ago

I've never personally used Framebridge, but I have read very good things about them.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jsk
  • Kswl
    16 days ago

I’m relaxing on our bed and just realized there’s a gallery wall staring right at me:

Three oils of hunting dogs and one landscape (lower left) I threw in bc I did not have anywhere else to put it. There’s a horseshoe (lower right) from a racehorse that my uncle owned in the 1970’s of whom I was very fond (the horse, not the uncle). I think this is an example of a gallery wall that does not have enough variety. I guess I have some work to do.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    16 days ago

(the horse, not the uncle).

LOL

I think of it more as a grouping, and I think it works

• Fun2BHere
    16 days ago

@1929Spanish-GW, I love your office. I would like to work in there.

• badgergal
    16 days ago

I have 2 gallery hallways in my house. The first one is current and past family photos on one side and across from it is a memorial wall for my son who passed away 19 years ago.

The white dove in top middle picture, appeared in our yard right after my son died. Whenever a family member or friend came over that first summer, the dove would be there. My neighbor took the picture of it.

My other hallway gallery wall is a few works of actual art.

My neighbor who took up art at the age of 78 painted the picture on the left. My SIL who took up art 2 years ago did the humming bird picture. The one above that was purchased by my father from a street vendor in Italy during WWII. The building in the bottom picture to the right is my high school. The other 3 pictures on that wall also all have personal connections.

Wish I had another hallway for more artwork/pictures.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked badgergal
  • ilikefriday
    16 days ago

@badgergal

That is the very best kind of gallery wall in my opinion, where every single item has a special meaning.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Badgergal, how cool that your friends are taking up art. I am so sorry about the loss of your son.

• badgergal
    16 days ago

Thank you ilikefriday and mtndredux.

• Kswl
    16 days ago

It’s lovely that you can walk by that wall every day and see treasured memories of your son, Badgergirl. ❤️ That must have helped you over the years.

• Feathers11
    16 days ago

Thanks for sharing that, Badgergal, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I do need more people in my life who take up art.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

@mtnrdredux_gw thanks! I have two bust forms now that are in another room.

Going on a tangent here….

Fun fact. I’m dyslexic. At 22 I tested 11th grade reading level with a high IQ.

Even more interesting, one of our superpowers is spacial reasoning. I have done display, mechandising and decorating over the years. I can’t explain how when I do it, but it’s something like my vision is both of the objects and outside of the objects. People will watch me, ask what I’m doing and there’s no explanation that would make sense to others.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    16 days ago

@Bunny the chaise is actually an early mid century piece and it’s quite short. Our house is not designed for overnight guests. And we don’t have many.

We do have a twin roll-away that requires a rework of the space and a Marriott down the street that we happy host guests at.

• Feathers11
    14 days ago

Sharing this from the IG account @thegratzlife since it has green velvet in the scheme.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Feathers11
Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!