SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dnagardens

Light pink rose for a pot

Dave5bWY
26 days ago

Hi, I could use your input selecting a light pink rose for a large 24 inch pot. Fragrance and decent repeat are important. I’d prefer a variety that is without apricot tones in this case. It will be overwintered in my garage and so hardiness is less of a concern. Souvenir de la Malmaison is a favorite of mine but it is SO slow to grow and think it appreciates a warmer climate than mine, although I’m not going to give up on it. A few that I’m considering if/when they are back in stock:

English Sachet

September Morn

Tranquility (Heirloom)

La Vicomtesse

Do any of you have experience with these varieties? Any others you’d recommend? I didn’t have the greatest experience with First Crush, Earth Angel, or Summer Romance in my last garden, although they may do better where I now live and I’ve considered giving them another chance.

Comments (60)

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    24 days ago

I have Eglantyne on my short list now, Diane. It would definitely receive more sun than it ever did in my last garden. Thanks for the recommendations, Kristine and Carol! I don’t think I’ve ever experienced Memorial Day in person but I need to seek it out this spring.

• susan9santabarbara
    24 days ago

Carol, Bishop's Castle grows fine in a large pot. But Memorial Day and Eglantyne are both too monstously tall for a pot. Both wonderful roses, but that's why I sent them to other homes. Although in zone 4, who knows?

Dave5bWY thanked susan9santabarbara
  • Related Discussions

Uhm light pink rose?

Q

Comments (18)
    Ingrid, I think someone in HMF photo comments mentioned that she balls a bit in Texas climate - so that probably would be a bit of balling here too. Michael, is KpV a bit yellowish inside? At least pics from HMF look like it, or is she just pure white? Mistress Bosanquet looks interesting as does Duchesse de Montebello. Goodie. :D Campanula, Reine Victoria is doing very well for me, especially rebloom wise - I think when she is a bit more adult I might get 3 good flushes out of her if weather cooperates. As for the cheap, it is Tuincentrum Lottum (link bellow), officially it is 4.40 for Mme (I got some discount voucher that might get me down to 3 if they accept it), but some roses are as cheap as 2.8. I did not order from them before, so I am cautious about what I am going to get, since normally prices are at least 6-12 euros per rose here. But if it is even a puny stick, if it is alive, hell I can pamper it for a year for that price. :D Here is a link that might be useful: Lottum
    ...See More

Name this light pink, very fragrant, large rose.

Q

Comments (2)
    With the gold that I see at the base of the petals, and your description of the fragrance, perhaps your rose is 'Tiffany'?
    ...See More

Unknown Light Pink Rose

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't grow Memorial Day Rose but from pictures it looks very much like this flower. It has the darker pink reverse that seems to be typical of a Memorial Day Rose. It is Beautiful!!!!
    ...See More

Light pink rose, lots of pointy petals

Q

Comments (6)
    Memorial Day and Blossomtime are somewhat like it, but neither really feel like the right fit to me. This rosebush is built very much like another rose that I've posted here, "ID for this pale pink/peach rose, please?" The mature roses themselves are different, but the leaf shape, thorn type, and early bud are very similar. Enough so that I thought they were the same variety before they had bloomed. I wonder if they are related? I've seen a few others on HelpMeFind that have this look to them, many of them bred by Eugene Boerner. But as of yet, no luck finding any that strike me as an accurate ID for these two.
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    24 days ago

Susan, Dave has grown Eglantyne before in a warmer climate, so he is familiar with this rose, right Dave? I think in his colder Wyoming climate, Eglantyne would do fine in a large pot. Diane

Dave5bWY thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    24 days ago

Susan - yeah, I've had Memorial Day in a large pot for over 10 years. Zone 4...as you said. :)

Dave5bWY thanked rosecanadian
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    23 days ago

How big does Memorial Day get for you, Carol? Very much considering this one.

Yes, I was able to manage Eglantyne’s size easily in zone 6 and so hopefully it would be able to manage it in a pot in my cooler climate.

I wish I could find Bishop’s Castle now. I had one opportunity to purchase it from a local nursery in my previous location but hesitated and then it was gone.

• Paul Barden
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

The only one on your list I have experience with is 'September Morn'. My impression is that it needs a warm climate to prosper (Think SoCal) and at best, it is fussy and not particularly generous with bloom. It got both Mildew and Blackspot very easily. I know it was fragrant, but I don't recall the specifics- I seem to remember it was pleasant, but not extraordinary.

Mine was killed outright in 2015 during the Polar Vortex - it's nowhere near as freeze hardy as most Hybrid Teas. Here in Zone 8a, it did not impress me. If you found 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' too difficult, then you won't like 'September Morn' any better.

Dave5bWY thanked Paul Barden
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Thanks for your honest input Paul. I’ve wanted to grow it for years but would rather have something that will thrive in my climate.

• rosecanadian
    23 days ago

Dave - Hmmm...Memorial Day gets about 3 feet tall and less than that wide. Oh, darn...I love Bishop's Castle. Maybe you'll get another chance at one. :)

Violet's Pride is a good one if you want to go more lilac.

Here's a Memorial Day full bush shot.

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    23 days ago

What about Sharifa Asma? It's light pink, fragrant, & disease free for me in my dry climate but I read that it's also relatively disease free for most areas.

Dave5bWY thanked Soozie Q, zone 10b
  • Soozie Q, zone 10b
    23 days ago

Here's Sharifa Asma photo from a few years ago. I really should start taking more pics of my roses.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    23 days ago

Soozie Q

How long does Sharifa Asma last in a vase? I used to live near an Austin trial ground and found it one of their most fragrant varieites.

Dave5bWY thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Soozie Q, zone 10b
    23 days ago

It lasted a decent amount of days, I never recorded such a thing before but now that I have more time I will take notes.

• hugogurll
    23 days ago

Consider Quietness or Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Dave5bWY thanked hugogurll
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    23 days ago

Hugogurll,

I was thinking Our Lady of Guadalupe too, has the perfect habit for a pot

Parfum Royale would fill a pot nicely too, and has much larger HT blooms and great fragrance, but is unavailable, at least for a while. Below is a the third flush, repeat is extraordinary.

Dave5bWY thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • susan9santabarbara
    23 days ago

Dave, I bought a back-up Bishop's Castle 2 years ago from DA, and it's still in a 5 gallon pot. I'd be happy to bare root it over the weekend and send it to you on Monday.

I've grown Sharifa Asma since ~2000, and I don't think I've ever cut a bouquet of it. But it's definitely one of the top fragrant Austins. I have two of them. It never struck me as one that would last in a vase, but Soozie Q's pic is gorgeous! I also love Quietness and OLOG.

• rosecanadian
    23 days ago

Soozie - oh, that's an incredible photo...so radiant!

Ben - every single one of your roses is so prolific!!!

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    23 days ago

@susan9santabarbara - That’s so nice of you Susan! Yes, I’d happily take you up on your offer. I don’t see an option to PM you - do you want to message me?

Ben and Hugogurll - thanks for the recommendations - Our Lady Of Guadalupe looks just about perfect there, Ben. Is it very fragrant? Parfum Royal looks incredible as well.

I didn’t love Quietness in the past when I’ve seen it but I know everyone seems to really like it. Maybe growing it over time would change that.

I want to grow Sharifa Asma for sure, Soozie Q. Do any of you grow it on its own roots?

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    22 days ago

I agree that Sharifa Asma is one of the most fragrant roses I've ever grown or experienced, and if fragrance is important that one would be top of my list. I can't smell most roses but this one knocks my socks off. It holds its petals pretty well on the bush (i.e. not like Heritage where petals are here then gone) but I've never cut it. It always stays small and wouldn't require pruning that most hybrid teas would in a pot.

I had one for about 10 years grafted from DA roses and then bought another own root. The own root one was less than a foot tall 3 years later and never bloomed, even in better sun than the grafted one. That's planted outside to overwinter in zone 5, and grafted clearly seems to win out in my climate. I don't know how it would compare in pots but would think even in a cold garage over the winter they would go semi-dormant and not get as big or robust as in warmer zones.

Our Lady of Guadalupe stayed small and bloomed a lot, and mine was grafted from J&P. The blooms really grew on me over time and it took a while to settle in. Can't recall a fragrance, but don't trust my nose.

Cynthia

Dave5bWY thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • susan9santabarbara
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

@Dave5bWY Here's my email: x

As soon as you tell me you got it (or email me), I'll remove it from this thread.

Both of my current Sharifas are own-root (from the original Chamblees).

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thanks Cynthia. I‘m surprised that DA has retired Sharifa Asma where it was so popular, but I guess that has been the case with many others. I don’t know why I never tried it years ago. I’ll try getting it from HCR or Garden Roses LLC. I wish I could find it grafted.

Thank you Susan!

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    22 days ago

My Sharifa was one of my first roses, bought dare I say over 25 years ago at least? It was in a bag @ Home Depot on clearance for $2 so I thought what the hell. I had no idea for years after that it was an Austin rose, or even who/what DA was. I just knew it grew into a beautiful disease free plant with these lovely blooms. One year I counted over 200 blooms on it. Since then it has dwindled somewhat so I started to propagate some this year. Only time will tell if I'm successful.

• rosecanadian
    22 days ago

Cynthia - I didn't realize that Sharifa Asma has such a great fragrance!! I hope I don't have the same experience you have with my own-root roses that are coming this spring. I'm new with them.

Soozie - $2 and you've had that beauty for 20 years!!! Best investment!!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    21 days ago

I am so sad about my experience with Our Lady of Guadalupe. Got my first one as bare root and it was the yesr that a lot of canes froze and it never broke dormancy. It was replaced and same thing with that cane. I always wanted that rose so much hut alas for me it wasnt meant to ge but that would be a great choice for a pot

Dave5bWY thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    21 days ago

Kristine - what a shame. I'm the same with Sheila's Perfume. But, I'm not sure that OLoG would be a good choice for Dave as it doesn't have much fragrance. At least I don't think it does.

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    20 days ago

I’m sorry you didn’t end up getting to grow OLoG, Kristine. It’s hard to gve something a try for a third time, too, but this one may be worth it. It looks like it would be perfect for a pot. J&P only lists the fragrance as light and so for this project I probably wouldn’t use it but maybe in another area.

• rosecanadian
    20 days ago

Nose - my goodness...what a beauty!!! GASP!!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    20 days ago

@noseometer, I was thinking about Asma Sharifa. Thanks to Feiy who gave me rhis. It has to be the most fragrant rose of all mine. The bloom is very elegant and I feel it is going to stay small. The drawback is the petals are thin and they do not last long. It really has that delicate and elegant look

Dave5bWY thanked forever_a_newbie_VA8
  • rosecanadian
    20 days ago

Forever - SWOON on that bloom!!!! It really is beautiful!!

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    20 days ago

I definitely need to find Sharifa Asma, too - both of yours are beautiful - a perfect light pink. I’ll grow it in smaller pot.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    20 days ago

Gorgeous, Newbie! I hope it does well for you once you plant it out!

Dave - I don’t think it needs to be grafted to grow well, as long as it gets good care. I wouldn‘t say it’s my most fragrant, but it does have a lovely fragrance.

Dave5bWY thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    20 days ago

noseometer, you can take some cuttings from your friends’ 😊Sharifa Amsa and root them. this way you will have Your rose back 🌹

I planted it in the ground last fall. After seeing your post I am thinking maybe I should have left it in the pot .I felt it did not look as good after planted in ground. But I am not good at keeping potted plants especially in our hot summers. We will see.

Carol and Dave, yeah SA is a very lovely rose. It has that dreamy elegance. I only have it for hardly a season. I hope you will be able to find one

• rosecanadian
    20 days ago

Thank goodness that I couldn't find one at the places I get roses from. lol I've already ordered 20 for this year. Was only going to get 14. :) :)

• erasmus_gw
    20 days ago

My Sharifa Asma is grafted from DA Roses and has lived in a large pot, about 24" or larger, for many years..maybe 15 years. It's tall. I'm 5'4" and it is a good bit taller than I am..I think some canes can reach 6.5 or 7'. It's a strong plant, very upright but well branched and sturdy with great rebloom. I have an own root plant of it in the ground and it is short, maybe 3' at most but it is in a challenging, dry spot. An own root one may well be bigger in a good location. My grafted one rooted through the pot hole a long time ago so it is not confined to the pot.

It's one of my favorites for fragrance and is my husband's favorite. I agree The Faun would be a nice shape for a pot.

Hortico has a good selection of Austins right now grafted on multiflora. My Hortico plants arrived smaller than Palatine's on multiflora but they took hold and caught up. In NC it's a great rootstock. Hortico's site confused me this year because I got the impression they sell only wholesale but I asked them and they do still take retail orders.

Dave5bWY thanked erasmus_gw
  • Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Your SA looks outstanding @erasmus_gw!

20 days ago

That's incredible, erasmus!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    20 days ago

@erasmus_gw, that is amazing! so beautiful

20 days ago

@forever_a_newbie_VA8 - Actually I did exactly that! So I have Sharifa back in my garden. I'll have to pamper her a bit more this year.

• rosecanadian
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Erasmus - mmmm....I'm in love with your last pic!!

No, Noseometer...don't say it!! Hortico has Sharifa Asma?? I soooo don't need another rose. Oh, thank heavens...I just looked and they don't have it. lol :) :)

• erasmus_gw
    19 days ago

Thank you! I think some roses that want to get big can do ok in a pot.

Another light pink one I really like is St. Ethelburga. Hortico has it. Mine has been in the ground for a couple of years..I think this is year 3. It does have a lot of vigor on multiflora and is pretty big already but it might adapt to life in a pot. It is on the healthy side, has great rebloom and fragrance. Blooms are not as big as Sharifa's.

The Faun

• erasmus_gw
    19 days ago

These two pinks do well in pots in my garden:

Cupcake ( mini)

It's hardy here...not much in zone 7a in the way of winter damage.

Borderer...from what I hear this one is naturally short. Adapts to pot life.

I don't know if this would do well in a pot or not but I love this healthy light pink, Souvenir de Louis Amade with Mountain Mignonette on the left:

For hardiness you might consider Brownell roses. I have Curly Pink and Pink Princess. I like Pink Princess best.

PP

Capitaine Dyel de Graville ..mine's in a pot.

Pretty Jessica is great in a pot.

I'll have to check out Our Lady of Gaudalupe . Have been wondering about Violet's Pride..looks very good..glad to hear it does well. I liked Violet in Downton Abbey.

• rosecanadian
    19 days ago

Erasmus - wow!! Those are beautiful!!! My faves are your Capitaine Dyel de Graville, St. Ethelburga and Borderer. :)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    19 days ago

that Pink Princess looks like a painting🌸

• erasmus_gw
    19 days ago

Thanks! The Brownell roses were bred for hardiness. They rebloom well and are pretty healthy. Capitaine Dyel de Graville took a few years before it had its best blooms...same with Cupcake, but worth the wait to me. Another light pink I like a lot is La France but it is probably not hardy enough for WY.

• Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I like Pink Princess. Where can you find Brownell roses now?

• erasmus_gw
    18 days ago

I am not familiar with all the roses Brownell bred but you can find Curly Pink at Angel Gardens or Roses Unlimited. Maybe High Country would have some since they like hardy roses.

Curly Pink

I tried to do an advanced search on hmf for Brownell roses but didn't get anywhere with it. I googled them and this is one result...apparently this company is not currently offering them but at least you can see some pics of their " sub zero" roses.

https://gardenlandusa.com/shop/category/flowering-and-ornamental/rose-plants/brownell-sub-zero-hardy-rose/

Bucks are supposedly hardy and Canadian Explorer roses too such as Morden Blush..that's a pretty one. I don't know if Brownell roses are any hardier.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    18 days ago

My ownrooted Sharifa Asma is about 4' tall, thrives in sandy soil and morning sun, and is my most fragrant DA. It's in a somewhat sheltered spot so it doesn't get blown by strong winds. I think it likes better drainage and a little shade, especially in areas with hot summers. It's also easy to propagate by hardwood and my success rate is about 75%. Give it a try if you can get some cuttings.

Dave5bWY thanked Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    18 days ago

I don't think the bucks were bred to be as hardy as the Canadian Series. But I have always admired curly pink. I've ordered it twice from a non reputable place and it came the same rose but not the curly pink I've seen in person. Love that rose! When searching on HMF I just look up breeder And then it will tell you all of the roses that they have bred or discovered.

Dave5bWY thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    17 days ago

I love those photos and would agree with most of the recommendations Erasmus posted. The only one that I'd hesitate to put in a pot is Souvenir de Louis Amade. Mine that was grafted grew to about 12' tall and I had to bend it sideways on several shepherd's hooks to keep it blooming along its lengths. It turned out to be one of my more robust climbers, equivalent to Polka. The difference might have been the graft, but Sharifa Asma, Cupcake, Borderer, Caldwell Pink or others are more likely to stay small.

Cynthia

• erasmus_gw
    17 days ago

Hmmm...I hope my Sou. de Louis Amade will continue to grow. Mine's not as big as yours, Cynthia, and is grafted on multiflora. It IS a very tough plant. It tolerates a lot of drought without much watering, and has grown nicely though not hugely.

I really don't have an answer for which vigorous roses can do well in pots. I just think that roses can adapt and not grow as big if they don't have a free root run. I think it's a matter of trial and error.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!