SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ker9

Exterior House Paint - Terracotta Roof

ker9
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I'm overwhelmed by the options and could use some help to narrow it down to a few choices I can bring back and paint swatches.

Photos show my house with new tile roof (and missing roof), houses to left and right.

I need paint suggestions that do not match the neighboring homes.

Windows and hurricane shutters are white.

I would prefer to keep it simple with one color, with a teal or navy door.

The roof company suggested SW Summer white but I find that very yellow.

Southwest Florida, front faces NNW.

(Roof was originally same as house on right, a mixed color. We are 3rd owner and have no idea what color is on the house now. Carriage lights will be replaced.)

Exterior Paint · More Info

Comments (58)

• happyleg
    2 months ago

I ran across this for you

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 months ago

I looked at it on SW site. I can do SW or BM.

Ah-okay. Color online is not accurate. The color you're seeing on the SW website is really just the color your device is able to render that's somewhat representative of the color in real life.

A real-life chip may not feel as yellow.

• Related Discussions

exterior stucco paint color for house with tile roof built in 1980

Q

Comments (8)
    It could be many colors with your roof. The only color I would not use is cool gray. I would like it in a brighter shade of white and paint the wood sections the same color as the stucco. It looks like you have tried out a greenish gray and that would work also.
    ...See More

In Need of Design/Paint Advice: Exterior House Update-Roof & Paint

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not a fan of painting brick as it turns a no maintenance product into a long term maintenance issue. The brick seems to have more browns than grays in it but the roof is gray. You need to find a color that marries the two. Something in the taupe family would work. Also, a couple of other things. If you plan on keeping shutters I would switch to a wider shutter that is correctly sized for you windows. The current ones are too narrow. Also, the area without a railing in front of the door needs to have one installed. Building codes require them if the change in elevation is more than 30", which yours definitely is. If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers of your house check out my website, Creative Visual Concepts.
    ...See More

Help me paint the exterior of my brown stone shutters/tan roof home!

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO lose the shutters they really are not needed then you have free rein as to color I happen to like what you have so maybe a bit more info as to the need to change colors.
    ...See More

I’m looking for exterior paint for my house with a red tile roof.

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey Jess. For greys is go for Sherwin Williams Popular Grey, Behr Silver City, or Mindful gray or for a off white color I'd do Egret White from Sherwin Williams. I also like this color combo, I think the olive with the red roof and greige-ish exterior complement each other very well. Hope this helps :)
    ...See More
  • ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Based on chroma, I guess BM Calm would not work?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

You will no know without a test on the house. Yes.....the structure: )

All the chroma info in the world, can not tell you what to like when seen with your own eyes.

• deegw
    2 months ago

Do you live in an HOA? There might be some rules about which colors you can use.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, there is an HOA, I can’t paint the same color as neighbors. If I went crazy and picked deep purple, I’d need it approved, but sticking with neutrals should be ok.
    The problem with a lot of these discussions is pictures without colors named.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Like this

• Jenny
    2 months ago

I understand your frustration, but how a color looks on my house will not be the same as how a color looks on yours, because of your lighting conditions, your landscaping etc. So my best suggestion would be to find a look you like, save that image on your phone, and go to your paint store (not apparently the big box paint section) and ask them to match that and make recommendations. Then get several color samples that are close to that color - I used Samplize and ordered a number of samples - and test them on your house in your light at various times of the day and on various parts of the house. I had a lovely light neutral color as one of my top contenders, until at one point it was distinctly apricot. That would work on your house, but not on my kitchen.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 months ago

Based on chroma, I guess BM Calm would not work?

Because it is lower in Chroma, it's going to show up looking white. Here's a list of colors in the same hue family, same value, just more Chroma than Calm.

Get the chips and put them in order - by Chroma - just like they're listed. You'll see the gradation in colorfulness. Starting most neutral/white, Calm to White Down.

Definitely do chips first so you don't waste time/money on samples that aren't anywhere near what you're envisioning.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Separate but relevant, what determines gray vs beige/tan?

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Wow

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Dunno. I see a big garage door. I don't see a house.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I agree, but from further back the colors look great.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

"from further back the colors look great"

Perhaps, but the primary audience will be people walking by and visiting.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My house is all garage, too, and I wouldn’t do this but I like the white and the blue.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Photo from Marie Killam suggesting peach or butterscotch

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Yeah, minimizing the difference between the house and garage colors certainly reduces the "big garage" effect.

ker9 thanked wdccruise
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    2 months ago

Separate but relevant, what determines gray vs beige/tan?

Beige/tan, taupe, cream, etc. are all subjective color judgement words. Because they mean something different to everyone, they don't mean anything.

The inconsistency person to person renders those words useless as terms to define or describe color appearance.

Gray is different.

Because in the objective color system used to make and manage color by every industry across the globe (not just paint), gray(ness) is quantified as Chroma.

Chroma defines and describes the colorfulness/grayness of a color's appearance. This is an example of how the gradation of grays plots out in that 3 dimensional color system, Red and blue-green hue families in these examples but it's the same in all hue families.

You will find colors of gray - aka chromatic grays - in every hue family in the spectrum. Fact of the matter is gray is not just green, blue and purple.

ker9 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • wdccruise
    2 months ago

"Photo from Marie Killam suggesting peach or butterscotch"

Would that color be too similar to the color of the house next door which you're told to avoid?

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@wdccruise

I won't know until I try some paints - I hope to get to SW/BM this week.

The one to the left is more white and to the right, a little darker. It's a fairly subtle difference really.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Maybe Behr Original White and one of the suggested Coordinated Palettes such as this one with Original White stucco, Final Straw garage door, and Journey's End trim? Just a thought.

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Bm capri coast, is it too peachy?

• ker9
    Original Author
    2 months ago

It does wash out in bright sun on the west side.

• wdccruise
    2 months ago

Behr's Cream Puff is a bit darker than its Original White (and, it appears, BM Capri Coast) suggested above. There are Coordinating Colors at the bottom of the webpage.

• happyleg
    last month
    last modified: last month

Shutters are wrong sides of door.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

BM Navajo White…doesn’t appear yellow in photo. Backing away from peach. Pale oak, drift of mist, gossamer veil all indicate they are gray, which I usually don’t like but I’m curious as to why grays were suggested by Lori Saway.

• cat_ky
    last month

Those shutters are correct, for the door. They can be closed for hurricanes etc, and they fit right into the arched door opening. I do agree, they dont look great open, and do give a backwards appearance, but, in some areas, they are a necessity.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last month

as to why grays were suggested by Lori Saway.

I wouldn't necessarily classify the colors listed as "grays".

Might be more accurate to say they aren't white - in this context and application.

Because they have a Munsell Chroma value more than 0.55

And colors with a Munsell Chroma value more than 0.55 are likely to show up exterior looking more "white" however-and-at-the-same-time unlikely to look/feel stark, arctic, blinding, glare-bomb, harsh.

Colors with a Munsell Chroma below 0.55 from certain hue families - it could be argued - are a better fit for places like Mykonos.

These 3 colors are similar

It's reasonable to see Pale Oak as the same as Gossamer - just a lighter version.

Dift of Mist is the lighter, more neutral option IF (big if) Pale Oak or Gossamer shows up with moments of pink or purple.

IF because they're just as likely to show up looking perfectly neutral, no discernable hue.

If Pale Oak was on a light to dark color gradation string on one strip it could look like this:

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

Ginger color

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

Any ideas on what color that house might be?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    last month

Ginger is so fitting! Now I want to go look for ginger colors. I'll be back later.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

I tried SW color snap but it seems to read it more beige. I’m completely lost on the correct way to look for a similar color probably in the orange family. Any suggestions to get me in the right shade?

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

SW: soft fawn 9097, woven wicker 9104, almond Roca 9105 seems a bit too dark, yearling 7725.
    What’s the difference between 9000 colors and 7000? I find the sw site easier than bm, but open to both.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last month

We stopped at SW today and they came up with Latte 6108. Also looked at Farro 9103 online. They’re all similar it’s so difficult to figure out which ones to sample. We’re hoping to go to BM tomorrow just to confuse ourselves further.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

This is the first chance I've had to pull notations together to see what it looks like.

All the colors listed are basically the same color - slight differences across the board hue/value/chroma.

Which is actually good. Because you're pulling basically the same color, it's confirmation of what you're envisioning for the finished look - you know what you want, just have to choose the right color.

Did this house in Baguette; I liked it because it wasn't too orange. As you can see in the data values, it's over into the Yellow hue family where the others are Yellow-Red (orange). So that's why a smidge more yellowness is perceived. e.g. Baguette compared to Woven Wicker. (ignore the stray dot on the color wheel slide, I didn't see it until it posted)

Also, if Dunn-Edwards is an option, their Baked Potato is another one I'd sample.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    29 days ago

What’s the difference between 9000 colors and 7000?

9000 colors are the new Emerald Designer Edition Paint Palette. When launched, they were interior only and I believe that's still the case.

• Debbie Downer
    29 days ago

Sorry to interrupt, but why are some paint colors designated interior only? Came across this with Benjhamin Moore as well.

Secondly - I love where you are going with this OP, the gingers are very handsome and by leaning more into midtones the color stands up to the visual weight or "heaviness" of the red-brown tile..... save lighter cream for trim/accent instead of main body color.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    29 days ago

It boils down to inorganic vs. organic pigments. Inorganic pigments are used in more muted, like earth-tone colors. They're stable, less likely to break down, have better color retention vs organic.

Colors like bolder, cleaner/clearer, more saturated orange, yellow, red, blue, green require organic pigments and have poor lightfastness. Sunny climates, lucky if they make it through a summer.

With the 200 SW 9000 colors they need an Emerald base which SW says is brighter and whiter.

• ker9
    Original Author
    29 days ago

We managed to connect with the homeowners who told us the paint was sw latte 150%, so I guess they made it darker?

We went to BM and came away with almost the exact color (without us knowing what the color was at the time), which is 1054 Sherwood tan. The difference is very slight.

Both SW & BM colors look good with pavers front and back (which are different colors), don’t match the neighbors, and we both seem to agree (for once).

I guess we need a lighter, white/off white to go with it. We want to paint the covered lanai a white/off white, which could be same as trim or not (as long as it’s not yellow).

• samilynn07
    29 days ago

I have a Terra cotta roof and painted my house SW Downy and love it. It faces south. It is quite bright on really sunny days, but far from sterile. We get lots of compliments.

• ker9
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Now I need a door color, not orange, prefer blue, blue green, maybe purple, suggestions more than welcomed.

• Jenny
    24 days ago

Blue-green colors would work well. BM Cheating Heart , Newburyport Blue, Sea Serpent have potential. Black would look very crisp.

• ker9
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Still looking for front door color guidance that goes with BM Sherwood Tan or SW Latte - Blue, Teal, Aqua - light/dark?

@Lori A. Sawaya - any guidance on how the lanai area, which is usually in shade and I would like to keep lighter than the house color - can I do the under roof part white, although that long wall makes it more complicated?

(new ceiling fan in bronze is coming soon) First picture looks a bit pink, but it's not.

Pool/outside · More Info

Pool/outside · More Info

Always wonder if I can do wood on the ceiling.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    8 days ago

can I do the under roof part white, although that long wall makes it more complicated?

I think you could because the screen separates the lanai off so it's room-like. And you're not talking about breaking up the long wall with two dramatically different colors.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    8 days ago

Still looking for front door color guidance that goes with BM Sherwood Tan or SW Latte - Blue, Teal, Aqua - light/dark?

Sherwood Tan and Latte are the same color. The ideal range for a complementary door color is 240 to 260 degrees in color space.

• happyleg
    8 days ago

Pick up medium color shade of the Blues you're showing for your door if you keeping the brown otherwise you could either have medium or light if you're going White along the roof line

• ker9
    Original Author
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Attached is a very rough picture done in Ben Moore's site: Body: Algonquin Trail , Door: Caribbean Azure , Trim: Simply White (?).

The BM program doesn't not show much discernable difference between almost any white trim. I don't want it to look yellow. (I have nothing against yellow, I just don't want it here.)

One picture I tried to paint the soffits brown to match the gutters.

Open to trim and door color suggestions. We will be changing the sidelights.

Personal Color Viewer | Benjamin Moore · More Info

Personal Color Viewer | Benjamin Moore · More Info

We plan to change the sidelight to this:

Shelter Medium Wall Mount Lantern · More Info