SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbrad

Design advice for small bathroom reno???

nycbrad
3 months ago

Hi all,

We are contemplating renovating our small bathroom. We opened the skylight wall area and are able to raise the ceilings to the full shower height in the bathroom. I have attached some current photos as well as an idea for a new layout. I’d love your thoughts on all!!

*Thoughts on the new layout? Or any other layout suggestions?

*Pros and cons of patterned tile floor va no pattern? Large tiles or small tiles?

*Wall mounted faucet for more counter space?

*Any other advice would be awesome!!

Thank you!!

Comments (28)

• enajasereht
    3 months ago

Not a pro but I know you don't want the first thing you see when you walk in is the toilet.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I like 12 x24 porcealian tile for both bathroom floors and shower walls in samll spaces I do a stacked pattern for both . A smaller tile same color for shower floor . This keeps materials to a min . it allows for a chang ein wall color or accessories down the road . I like shower screens in small spaces so no need to have a door to deal with . Put the controls on the wall where you enter and the heads on the oppsite wall to keep water from escaping. I like wall hung vanities to make the space feel bigger . I use Ikea Godmorgon often by with my own choice of sink and caouner sometimes . I do not like wall mount faucets usually I really do not find a huge advantage to them . I like one piece toilets for ease of cleaning and to be honest it is a bathroom and has a toilet sometimes moving one is not an option . I hate toilet rooms since IMO no one should be using the toilet while I am in the bathroom/ Those ceilings seem really high so reallt good venting will be a must too.

• Related Discussions

Small bathroom reno

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you! I did them myself. I noticed you got the Bardiglio gray dots. love that one as well. Don't do the wide basketweave (your first pic), do the regular one like this: honed carrara bianco / bardiglio dots. (I was looking at the matching border. if you were to do something like this one around the entire perimeter, it might look nice. this matches the one above. ) also, you might want to get it honed since it will be on the floor. With the polished marble, etching is always going to be an issue (especially around the toilet) and will be more visible on polished stone. just something to keep in mind.
    ...See More

Bathroom Reno Advice/Opinion

Q

Comments (6)
    I would do black instead of the patterned floor. Even though black does show more, a bathroom is relatively small and can be easily swept and wiped down. Plus, in a bathroom I prefer to see where the filth is so I know where to clean.
    ...See More

Small Bathroom Reno- Advice

Q

Comments (0)
    What do you think of my proposed changes to upstairs bath and closet? I want to add a shower to master bath. This involves eliminating the closet in the master. Move the closet into kid's bedroom. Load bearing wall so would need a header there. Alternative is building a closet in the master itself, but it's already a small room and don't want to make it even smaller. We have once child (one and done). She doesn't need a huge room as she'd have the one room for bed and clothes and the other room will be her "office/playroom" for her toys and a place to do her homework. A guest room and an office are in lower level of house. Not a lot of space upstairs to get too creative, but wondering if anyone sees another option for the upstairs?
    ...See More

Before and after small bathroom reno

Q

Comments (3)
    You must be very happy with your new space. It looks great!
    ...See More
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    3 months ago

My husband votes for keeping the phone and the huge toilet paper storage. 😁

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Post the dimensions of your existing layout for best advice. I also agree seeing the toilet from the door is not ideal

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is the existing layout. The bathroom is a square - 76 x 76

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

I agree w Lyn - if you can swap the toilet and shower and then do a glass partition for the shower that will visually open up the room. I love your old tile - it looks to be in great shape! But I would be itching for better storage / layout if I were you. Good luck!

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Here are some visuals - try to shoot for a pony wall by the vanity as you will eek out more storage/counter space and you won’t have a tight cavity by the glass to keep clean…a floating vanity will make the space feel bigger (add tape light below for a nice night light)

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Also notice in the second photo how the tile runs throughout. This will also make the space feel larger.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is so helpful. So tiling all the walls will make it feel bigger? We found a 3x6 white/gray stone tile for the walls we like and a same color scheme herringbone for the shower. Would I use the same 3x6 on the whole bathroom floor too so the walls and floor of the bathroom are the same? Or is 3x6 too small and will make it all too busy?

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Do you have photos of bathrooms you like? What is the style of the home? You don’t want to stray too far from the homes design roots

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Our home is 1899 Victorian. The bathroom across from it is a modern brown/taupe, which we hate. Looking to go more classic white. These are the tiles we liked. Herringbone for floors. 3x6 for walls.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

White/gray

• HU-227031627
    3 months ago

Love your tile nycbrad.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Should we tile the ENTIRE floor herringbone? And all walls 3x6? Or just shower floor herringbone and 3x6 tile on all walls and rest of floor?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

no 3x6 in the shower, especially real marble. you want minimal grout lines. (at least in the shower)

do you want the room to have a victorian or vintage look to it?

what kind of vanity do you want? one sink? what size?

I would consider doing a wallmount faucet, it will give you more counter space on a small vanity.

Or, you may just have to go w/a console or pedestal sink.

something like this fits the style. beadboard wainscot around the room, inset medicine cab/mirror. (go to a salvage place and find some originals)

something like this would be perfect for the house. you can do a curb

I really like this one too

corner shower

I'd also seriously consider doing a pocket door. With a small bathroom as yours, losing the door swing-in will give you more floor space.

Can the sewer/drain lines be moved? is that an option?

these are all small bathroom designs. your pocket door should be a priority.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

These are helpful. Every single door on the floor has an actual door. Not a single pocket door, so I’m worried it’d stick out like a sore thumb in our old house.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

not really. you can do a pocket door w/slab door that fits the style of the house. you have a very tiny bathroom. if you want to get the best usage out of it, pocket door is really the best solution. it's not a big deal.

I've posted a lot more ideas for design below. see what you think.

I installed this pocket door. (obviously this wasn't finished. don't have a completed pic)

for your bathroom you can get a vintage slab door and use it

or go w/something like this. (BTW, this type of marble floor is period appropriate)

you'll gain more space

I'd decorate it in this manner.

find an antique style vanity (or reproduction) or the marble console sink vanity,

Do some wainscot or this vertical plank paneling, paint it a nice color, herringbone floors (your marble tile is fine)

beadboard wainscot

ditto here too, diff wall color, console sink, schoolhouse light fixture

you could do a furniture style vanity if you like. patterned floor tile

I'd still do the pocket door, hands down.

Figure out what style you want. do you want a corner shower? can you move plumbing in order to do a full wall shower?

figure out your layout first.

now determine what style you want.

you mentioned white marble. here's one w/backwall shower w/the vanity right up against the glass, toilet on the side of that. could you do this layout? do you like this look?

I like the black and white idea from earlier, but this one is nice too.

love the hex flooring w/the white inlay, the white subway/black trim, all of this is period appropriate.

Lake View · More Info

lets you keep the door swinging in to the right. don't know if this layout works in your space.

Keeping this same layout (with door swinging to the inside right) something like this. don't know if you'd have to move the toilet to do this. I do like the design.

Pennyround is also appropriate. I love this curbless design, but a small curb is doable too. tile the entire room, or do a tile wainscot

I like this design. notice the shower's small curb, small vanity right next to it. this link has a lot of ideas to make small bathrooms look larger

https://www.thenordroom.com/40-small-bathroom-design-ideas-tips-for-bigger-bathroom/

this one is nice. notice the larger subway tiles. (go for a 2x10 size) black hex floor tile, pedestal sink.

corner shower

Maybe you could do a small pony wall for the shower. or a fixed glass panel. or no glass, just a curtain.

here are some victorian bath ideas

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/kitchens-and-baths-articles/designing-victorian-bath/

https://www.houzz.com/photos/victorian-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_22849

https://www.sleek-chic.co.uk/2023/10/victorian-bathroom-ideas.html

want some ideas for vintage designs?

https://goodshoppin.top/products.aspx?cname=vintage+bathroom+designs&cid=252

• acm
    3 months ago

Did you address the current corner where the vanity is? It looks like there are ducts coming in there -- are you sure they can be moved without infringing on the space in the room? Also, your pony wall has several inches of thickness, so you're maybe down to a 36" width for the shower pan.

• chloe00s
    3 months ago

Our primary bath is similar to yours - redone more than 15 years ago, though, and the travertine tile is getting a bit outdated. Yes, you see the toilet as you come in the bathroom door, but ours is an older home, and we didn’t want to spend a fortune to move the plumbing. It’s not a big deal to us, and the bathroom isn’t visible at all, unless you go all the way into the bedroom and all the way around the bed, which no visitor is going to do. Our layout is similar to yours, but we did a corner shower. It makes the bathroom feel bigger. Definitely need a pony wall as we have at the shower end of our vanity.

• chloe00s
    3 months ago

Meant to add that we did not do a pony wall on the toilet side, because when we use the toilet, nobody else is going to be in there! Other bathrooms in the houses! And leaving that wall all glass makes the room and the shower feel bigger.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you!! Yes, the ducting has been addressed. Can be moved.

• nycbrad
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Beth H, thank you for all of the designs!! We are weighing so many different ideas and designs now. Super helpful.

• husterd
    3 months ago

If pocket door impossible or undesirable, could consider having the door swing out into the hall. Depends where in house the bath is and use of hall. Unusual and not best but sometimes necessary. Means door usually closed or just ajar. Solved an upstairs bath problem in a cape with a tiny hall at top of stairs. Do not see the toilet from the hall. See vanity, shower wall and directly at a window which spreads natural light out into the hall. Door left open except when in use.

• chloe00s
    3 months ago

Yuck. That photo of our bathroom, taken at night looks pretty dingy! Mostly the lighting and shadows make it look bad! Embarrassing photo! But our bath designer 15 + yrs ago was right - keeping to all one, lighter color palette (light gray and white for example) for tile, paint, vanity color, vanity countertop, floor make a bathroom seem bigger. Using larger format tiles, (I would do 12 x 24s now) make the bathroom look bigger. Doing a corner shower definitely makes it look bigger. Taking the shower wall tile along the whole back toilet wall, and just glass - no pony wall on the toilet side makes both the shower feel bigger, and the room look bigger. A pattern like the light gray and white in one of the pictures above, is okay for the floor, but a too busy light and dark multicolor pattern wouldn’t be.

• PRO
    Calvert Custom Homes
    3 months ago

Consider switching out toilet and vanity location . And if you have the space, a corner shower instead with glass walls to visually open up the space. . Your tile could go in shower and maybe up the walls about 4 feet in rest of room if you want to continue that. Or you could tile shower then use wood on walls to desired height for added texture. You could stain and seal it or paint it. Also add some floating shelves above toilet for storage and decor or a rack for towels. Good luck!

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

No no no to toilet being where the vanity is - think about the view of just a toilet with a skylight above it - will look like a shrine to the potty. Having the vanity under the skylight is key for the room. Then there is no other option but to do a corner shower based on your room dimensions. Chloe's example is perfect - and, yes you do loose a few inches for the pony wall in the shower but you gain them back with counter and storage by doing a full vanity in that width. Yes to all the suggestions to continue the penny or marble mosaic from the room into the shower. Yes to honoring the period of the home with the finish selections. Even though you get more grout I don't feel a 12x24 wall tile will feel right for your home. Get good grout that is sealed like a laticrete, etc.

• husterd
    3 months ago

Gray and white tiles as as in look alike marble for walls or flooring is OK. Gray as a wall color is dreary and been so overdone now. A very dated, dismal look. Bring in very light color or paper for the walls. Pale blue is calming and comes to mind in a vintage home. Try your best to have a vanity for storage and some counter space. Bath floor and shower floor the same makes room seem bigger. In a vintage home black and white basketweave floor tile with white subway tile is timeless.