SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Putting furniture in front of a little used door?

Paul F.
last month
last modified: last month

These double doors go to what is basically a dog run I guess you'd call it. This is the only door to that area. I had planned on a living wall so I did double doors, but mostly for the light blocked by the 8 foot wall out there. The left side is the primary door... the right needs some fiddling to open.

Whether or not you like a banquette, what do you think of covering a door with furniture? Keep in mind on a warm summer night both doors would be open and swung flush against the house with a light highlighting the plant wall. I'd probably build deck out there so the outdoor would be even with the indoor floor. Is there anyway to psychologically claim that area as indoor space... like a display case?

Comments (81)

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Here's the top of the cocktail table next to the rug. The color is in there but it definitely is the least likely color anyone would pull from it, if you know what I mean. Maybe with the green undertone, it might work for now.

Yes, wall paper on the one entire wall and then plants on the wall outside... if I have wallpaper up first to guide me then connecting the color and or the texture, should be easier. There is very little room to have a potted tree since the doors ideally would swing open lock against the building... but I'd try.

The rug is big for the space so maybe I need to try some others that don't make the room so jewel toned looking?

• KW PNW Z8
    19 days ago

What’s the issue with jewel tones? They speak to me! My clothing is mostly that - lots of black too. My home with merlot color leather seating, golds, yellow tones repeated in leaded glass lamp shades & Stickley oak medium tone furniture etc. etc. So you won’t convince me to shy away from jewel tones & yes I have a bias but those colors have appeal for me. I think the orange color in your home is a jewel tone - or, if not, at least it has the same weight as this green sofa. So, the rug & its colors work for me. Maybe that’s a decision that waits until your seating is decided.

This close up view of your Turkish rug makes its colors look much different than the full picture of it. It’s quite striking against the light flooring & I really like the red - it’s not as bright ’real’ red as my first impression. Is the room longer than wide in relation to the glass window / door? My question is that I wondered if the rug could be turned to run lengthwise into the space if it seems too large the way it is now. I don’t know if that would create an issue with the pathway between this space & the kitchen (? I think) across from it but just a thought.

Paul F. thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Related Discussions

Using a Sink Grid Like Putting Plastic on Your Furniture?

Q

Comments (14)
    My reasons for having a grid have nothing to do with scratches. I grew up with unprotected furniture and I have the same attitude toward my sink :) I prefer the function of the sink with a grid. I can drain a pot into the sink without affecting anything sitting in the sink since the water runs underneath. I can drain pasta or veggies in a colander and the water goes straight down instead of around the colander. I do sometimes peel items over the grid and removing the peels from the grid with my faucet sprayer is quite easy if I do it right away. The peels tend stick more if they dry out a little but they're still not difficult to remove with a sink brush or scrubbie. I don't use the grid in our prep sink even though I purchased one for it. I'm not as likely to put a colander down on the bottom of the prep sink now that I've gotten used to the grid in the other sink. I've somehow gotten the idea that the sink is one of the germier places in the kitchen and the idea of water flowing around the sink and getting into my food isn't a pleasant one. I don't like using the grid as a dishdrainer for this same reason. It took me a while to realize the benefits of the grid. I took them out of both sinks after a month and put them away for a year before giving them another try. The one in the main sink has now remained for 3+ years. If I had just one sink I'd still use the grid. Our grid is too large for the dw. I clean it with a plastic scrubby or dish cloth every few days. The underside tends to get grubbier than the top.
    ...See More

Furniture arrangement.. putting in front of a window ok? (pics)

Q

Comments (27)
    Just my two cents... We had my chest of drawers like your second pic by the west window. Now ten plus years later the finish on the two sunny sides is completely ruined. My hubbies was out of the sun and looks brand new. I just moved and with difficulty put my waterbed sideways to the window like the day bed idea. I have a great view of the stars on clear nights and a great view. I did leave about a foot for a register and to access the curtains on the six foot wide window. I think it looks amazing. My dtr thinks I have the best bed in the house. I made a headboard and covered it with the curtain fabric. Just bought extra curtains to use for it. We had day beds for me and kids,we all now prefer a regular bed to a daybed. Daybeds aren't that comfy to sit in,and not as easy to change the sheets. All the pillows end up tripping you as they are usually on the floor not the bed, and my kids prefer to be on the floor than a seat at least until hs age.
    ...See More

arranging living room furniture w/ front door opens to living room

Q

Comments (2)
    You might consider moving the sofa to be centered in front of the window and put the chair nearer the door adding a pony wall height bookshelf (with its back to the chair), with or without doors on the entry side, between the chair and the door to create an entry; perhaps something like this: http://thegamersforce.com/ikea-glass-door-bookcase/bookshelf-inspiring-low-bookcase-with-doors-bookcase-with-doors-ikea-dark-brown-bookcase-with-glass-glass-door-ikea-bookcase-singapore-ikea-glass-door-bookcase-ikea-billy-bookcase-glass-door-instruc/ A barrister style bookcase could also work. Such a room divider would give you a place to add a lamp to the room.
    ...See More

Small living room with front door-need furniture arrangement help!

Q

Comments (13)
    I wouldn't do that fireplace surround. It's jus not a good look w/the type room/decor you have. try it elsewhere. try craigslist and similar sources for rugs, tables, shelving. as for the room layout, for the wall that's next to the doorway, and to the right of window (pic #3 up top) what if you did some cool shelving or book cases? I'd also look into doing some sort of shade or blind instead of those bulky drapes. This is a simple layout you could copy. a larger sofa w/a chaise would work for that room better than your two sofas. if doing a tv, try a shallow console and mount the tv to the wall. you can do a 'coffee table' by utilizing an ottoman or something similar. this type of sofa against the large windows would work out better. notice the blinds, nice contrasting paint color on the walls, colorful rug, potted plants. same layout. Imagine your windows are behind the sofa. shallow shorter shelving on the opposing wall is great for kids toys and books. mount tv. fabric ottoman for coffee table. neutral rug.
    ...See More
  • plantsarefriends
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I think the dark blue rug was on the right track if you want the sofa to be the center piece! You could do matching blue pillows and then simple, lighter decor. For more intense look, you could maybe repeat the room's vivid colors on the wall (blue/yellow flowers and green vines or something?) – I wouldn't make the whole wall bright/saturated, but some colorful details (which could also be the art on the wall etc.) could tie it all together?

I don't know about the muted, pastel mural – I think that'd work better with similarly light soft rug, or with wooden furniture. But that's just my thoughts from the previews, I'm thinking out loud here, feel free to discard what's not relevant for you.

I also put some of the colors (you described it as yellow/green, but photos look more golden so I guessed a little and picked two different tones for the sofa, and then generic green for the future plant wall that would be a major feature) in palette generator and yeah, I think it could look great with either red/burgundy or navy (I wouldn't do both at once, like the rug has), and then some matching neutrals - or you could have the sofa and greenery as highlights and the rest with dusty neutrals? Depends on how much the sofa should stand out, too.

Paul F. thanked plantsarefriends
  • plantsarefriends
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Just to test out different concepts... if you wanted to connect the spaces and embrace the greenery, you could lean more towards natural materials and colors, like on some of the outdoor inspirations you have saved. I think you could make it work with nice wooden table etc.:

California Contemporary · More Info

Exotique Terrasse En Bois Et Balcon · More Info

For bar/club vibes, I think the idea mentioned somewhere in thread of looking into art deco style was great. Higher contrast, solid colors, mirror and metallic finishes:

Hancock Park Residence · More Info

(source)

And some more random color inspiration with very different vibes, based on the sofa again:

Broad Ripple Bungalow · More Info

Town Lane Residence, Amagansett, NY · More Info

Ever-Changing Family Space · More Info

Sorrento Heights · More Info

Paul F. thanked plantsarefriends
  • L.D. Johnson
    19 days ago

I'm not a big fan of the wallpaper, honestly. If you have a great view out of the doors, it might be a little too much. If there is room, a floor lamp in that corner might be a good thought. The ceiling light is very nice, but if you want to lounge and read on the couch, another light source would help.

Paul F. thanked L.D. Johnson
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

I went back to check out the sofa. It looked greener than ever. It's 91" wide, a good height and definitely will seat 3 comfortably, I can lay down on it... reduced $1400. I thought I'd try swap out the light fixture for a more Zen vibe. I'm kind of stuck on this edgy upscale tattoo parlor waiting room look and the mural wallpaper really helps with that, although doing a Retna graffiti rug takes it too far.

• KW PNW Z8
    17 days ago

That sofa color looks like chartreuse & I really do like it. Great that you’ve confirmed it’s a good sit & lounger too. It’s even better with price drop of $400! Black table is great with it in combo with right rug. Your Turkish rug isn’t, for me, the right rug colors & I still don’t care for the blue/black one you showed earlier in mockup. I do like the rug sample that’s laying on the couch with the bits of black in it & black top table should be great with it. The rug in 4th pic - Retna grafffiti - I had to look that up - I agree ’takes it too far’. The sofa is the star of the room with the dramatic cobra above it. I like the hanging light you show better than the glass one - I think it pairs well with sofa - it’s eye catching but doesn’t compete for attention with sofa & art. It is a more Zen vibe.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Chartreuse! Yes... that's it. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Here is an adjustable coffee table that becomes a dining table I've been looking at too. I did my best to photoshop it in there. Like plantsarefriends said, maybe some wood would help?

• L.D. Johnson
    17 days ago

Really cool table! What are you thinking for the other chairs? Maybe having a feel for the rest of the seating, would help with narrowing down a rug choice.

• KW PNW Z8
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Very, very nice table! plantsarefriends was spot on with putting wood in the room. The wood color is pretty with the color of cobra & it’s nice with that mural too. That light is still a better look in mock up too - over the glass one I mean. I think you have a winning combo there. Still thinking swivels for chairs?

I’m thinking that the color of the ottoman is good with sofa & wood table too. Maybe a good color for chairs?

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Well, this small scale Crate and Barrel chair comes in several colors and is very comfortable. I'm not sure I could shoehorn in two of them on that 68" wide wall.

• tozmo1
    17 days ago

Love, love, love the sofa and light. Not sold on the mural yet but it might grow on me (early morning pun).

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • KW PNW Z8
    17 days ago

Hmm - Yes, I see it would be a tight fit with @ 33” of wall space left to split on either side of chair. Is it a swivel? I do like the lines of that chair though - nice companion shape to sofa. Piping detail on chair is nice too. That’s the side where door would be opened & not the side you thought might be ’blocked’ with furniture if a banquette were on the sofa side, yes? Do you want more than seating for 4 & is there any seating space in kitchen across from this space? Any other dining chairs or such that could be brought in for temporary extra seating? Most important point - will this chair work with table in raised for dining position?

• L.D. Johnson
    17 days ago

I like the curve of the chair. Agree it might be too snug to try two of them. It might be time to take the standard advice on this site and draw the floor plan to scale with the furniture too. And to buy the couch before you miss it.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    16 days ago

They are opening doors but I'd only go out to tend the plants and maybe let the cat out if I ever get around to building a catio out there like I plan. It's just a narrow utility walkway... so maybe I just need to treat it like a window and place a chair partially in front of the opening door?

I had a chance over the last few days to sit in there with 4 of us and it worked really well but of course these chairs are 4 inches narrower than the swivels chairs.

Here it is toned down without the mural wallpaper.

• L.D. Johnson
    16 days ago

You've circled back to your original question - is it ok to partially block a door? I don't think that's a problem, especially since they open out. I scrolled back up and see you did post a sketch of your floor plan. That indicated the wall is 64", not 68" as noted when you shared the chairs. We don't have the dimensions of the table, or the depth of the couch, but it looks to me like walkways for multiple people to move in the room will be tight. Maybe one chair nestled into the corner and a small ottoman that could be pulled up to stretch out a bit or serve as seating as needed?

• KW PNW Z8
    16 days ago

My thought is the inside layout & function is more important than easy access to doors that will be used infrequently by you and rarely by guests. The cat will have zero issues sliding out to its new catio through a very narrow opening. Since both doors open, won't access be easier with right door closest to couch if you have 2 swivels & one is partially blocking access to walk through the left door? Maybe get 2 boxes close in size to footprint of the chair & do a floor space mockup with them to get a better idea of how 'full' the space is with 2 of the chairs.

The mural does close in the space - I see that now with your last picture without it. The glass ceiling light works without the mural too but it does take up more air space. That rug is....wild?!

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

The hallway is 39" wide so I can easily have one of the chairs curve out and intrude into the walk way by 4" without even noticing it and maybe more... so I just said I had 68" to deal with. With 2 of those swivel chairs and the chartreuse sofa in place there would be an 18 inch walkway all the way around the 36" square adjustable coffee table and still have a 35" hallway. I guess I can always just use one chair (and a reading lamp) and bring in more seating from the living room when necessary.

Yes, Ideally the right would open first with this arrangement but I chose the left when I ordered the doors so that opens first. I told AI to place a blue ombre rug under the table and that is what it came up.. I try not to do that because it creates things that don't exist. Everything in this pic can be purchased except for the rug and the hookah!

• KW PNW Z8
    16 days ago

Too bad about the hookah - it’s very pretty. Your AI designer matched it very well with the rug. 😆 18” seems to be a standard for space between a sofa & coffee table so your 18” walkway should be fine. Especially as people won’t be walking through the room to get to another space - they’ll be walking into the room to sit. What’s the orientation of the glass doors to the outdoors? I mean - if you’re facing the tall wall, what direction is that? I’m wondering what kind of natural light will come through the doors.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    16 days ago

The doors face N/E. I get direct sun through them, where the swivel chairs will be... the first thing in the morning for part of the year and then that's it. The wall outside the doors is 8' tall so light is limited... that's why I did double doors there.

• KW PNW Z8
    16 days ago

Ok thanks - I have that visual. My windows in my dining area adjacent to kitchen are North & east facing. And I’m 2 states north of you so even more difference but I do get morning sun in dining area & bright evening light reflection through north windows in summer. I wondered about your space - if too bright light or direct sun would create other issues but with your NE exposure, too much sun or light will not present any problems.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I saw this light fixture and it is quite different at over 8 feet wide. The hanging sections are fine gold chains... haha... I fear I may be heading in Vegas lounge direction.

• latifolia
    14 days ago

Your fears about the lamp are well founded. The foliage mural works well with the plant wall. Still not big on the blue rug.

With your morning light, this looks like the ideal spot for coffee. With good exterior lighting it will also work well for cocktails

Paul F. thanked latifolia
  • tozmo1
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Now the mural looks great. I think the light fixture looks like rain, a gentle shower on the landscape. The chains sort of repeat the tree boughs. In the photo, not Vegas Lounge at all but if it does, what's wrong with cocktails and an Elvis impersonator?

You know I love my Roxy chairs and I think two would look and fit well on that wall. Their footprint is similar to the Crate and Barrel ones but the lines of the Roxy chair fixed back and rounded arm visually take up less space. I measured my two and I think they will fit on that wall.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • KW PNW Z8
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Wow - that is quite an amazing light! I agree with @tozmo1 - it does evoke images of rain & looks surprisingly great with the mural. Have you seen it lit up? Thinking the width / spread of the light might provide great lighting for the space but I’d want to make sure it’s not to bright or maybe even have it on a dimmer switch. The Roxy chairs - tozmo1 link didn’t show me a chair so I looked it up. If it’s that swivel - tilt tub chair I found, it is pretty cool looking with the wooden base & does seem to be a smaller scale than the swivel you’ve found & photoshopped in. The base would look great with the table you’re considering too. They are however an investment at their price point

• tozmo1
    14 days ago

@KN PNW Z8 thanks for the link check, I changed it. Roxy comes with all kinds of bases. Mine have a metal base. The most comfy chair ever according to anyone who sits in it. Luckily I have a Thayer Coggin "connection" that makes them a tiny bit more affordable. Still not cheap, but the Milo Baughman origin helps them hold value.

BTW, does anyone know why certain ID's can be tagged and others not found? A Houzz quirk.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • L.D. Johnson
    14 days ago

Can you photoshop whatever type of greenery you plan for the wall into that straight view of the glass doors, so that you see green plants, green in the mural and the color of the couch? I still have reservations about it being too busy. In a non casino way. 🙃

• KW PNW Z8
    14 days ago

@tozmo1 - that tagging issue is really annoying. This random on / off ability hasn’t always existed & I wondered if it was device related & maybe using app or not. But, I’m still using my newer Ipad & didn’t always have the issue.

Looked at your edited link. Very nice chair. Paul - it seems like something you’d like. As for most comfy chair - maybe so in its class. But, for lounging comfort I’ll put my Ekornes Stressless chairs up for ’most comfy’ any day! 😁 Not the right style for Paul’s space here though.

• tozmo1
    13 days ago

I have an Ekornes Stressless vintage white leather ottoman with a metal base that matches the chairs' base that gets pulled in front of Roxy on occasion. I find them occasionally at estate sales. No one in my area seems to know their value thank goodness.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I get no notifications of comments on my posts! I like the tub chair. It does take up less space. I'll try to find somewhere to test it out. I may have distorted the actual shape of the chair a little trying to get the angle to look right but it does look more inviting..

• KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

Simply stunning! The wall of greenery is so lush & has such depth.

• tozmo1
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

So wonderful! @Paul F. Once you finally get your house fully recovered from the fire you'll have to have a housewarming and we'll all be there. Does Hermes have a gift registry so we can honor your front door?

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • KW PNW Z8
    13 days ago

I agree Paul that the tub chair @tozmo1 suggested looks pretty great. I like the color too

side note - tozmo - your comment about tagging - in this post I tagged you but could not tag Paul - the author of thread. I have been able to tag him in other posts. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• drdeb1234
    12 days ago

Terrific thread! (not surprisingly).

Paul, I did try to tag you hoping you might help me with some photoshopping on a new thread i started. Don't know if you saw it...

Paul F. thanked drdeb1234
  • L.D. Johnson
    12 days ago

I do like the tub chair in that space. (Wildly coincidental - I have 2 of those that my parents bought in the mid 60s. I knew they were from Thayer Coggin but never thought to try to find a name for them 🙃 ) will look forward to the final outcome on this project!

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@tozmo1 Haha. As for all you being here for a housewarming, with the new Apple headset that will be possible. I just got mine delivered 5 minutes ago. I'm going to go open it. I'll report back or see you in the metaverse.

I had guests from out of town last week and the second they left I got sick and have been bad for the last few days though I'm pulling out of it. All during a relentless rainstorm that won't let up... good time to be sick I guess.

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

With the Apple headset on I can float my photoshop image in front of me while standing where I took the original picture, then I can enlarge the photoshopped image with my fingers to the right size and line it up perfectly.... right over the old room. It stays pinned in place. I can turn by head left to look into the living room and when I turn back toward the double doors, I see my photoshop image instead of reality. You can also pin the image in place and step back to view from a distance.

I can't figure out how to take a photo of what I'm seeing to show you but the effect kind of looks the one in the photo below... my photoshop being the old picture being held up. Pretty amazing. It would be a great tool for designers and their clients.

Now that I'm seeing the room full-size, that blue rug does not look good. : /

• tozmo1
    12 days ago

Wow! very cool. We WILL see you in the metaverse!

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • L.D. Johnson
    12 days ago

That’s wild!

• tozmo1
    12 days ago

@L.D. Johnson Check the prices of those chairs from the 60's on Cherish and 1st Dibs. They can pay for a year of college at a state school. (Yes, yes, for anyone who will call me out, I realize those sites are overpriced but it gives an idea of their value). If you ever reupholster them make sure they put the labels back.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • L.D. Johnson
    12 days ago

Yes, I was shocked when I looked today. New products are expensive and vintage even higher. Unfortunately, my mom had them recovered in the late 1990s and when I inherited them there were no labels attached. I had them recovered again in 2014 without having a clue. Also have a pair of Thayer Coggin Bench Drive ottomans to go with them. I do have photos documenting the original mod orange floral upholstery that might help document their lives. My kids are all out of college but lots of grandkids in the pipeline.....

• tozmo1
    12 days ago

@L.D.Johnson lucky you! Even without the label, Thayer Coggin will authenticate them, especially with provenance documentation, as will a quality auction house if you ever want to sell them. Just make sure those kids and grandkids know their value. Or call me first! No thrift store donations for those pieces.

@Paul F. Hope you're feeling better.

Paul F. thanked tozmo1
  • KW PNW Z8
    12 days ago

Those chairs - or anything else with a long family history or monetary value that might be unrecognized by other family members - got me thinking about what my parents did. They attached history and information notes to the underside or back side of pieces - the provenance of the piece & sometimes included old photos. Their concern was that with 5 adult children all residing in other states, information might be overlooked or lost or just forgotten when the time came to clear out their home. They had also asked each of us to tell them if there was an item in their home that we might especially like to have. They did this when both of them were still hale & hearty. They made a disposition list of family treasures based on that list, Doing this gave them peace of mind and also some laughs and surprises at some of the items each of us placed high value on. I have art & small items in my home today that make me think about and remember my parents every day. A treasure!

• L.D. Johnson
    11 days ago

We’ve done that with jewelry, china, etc - but hadn’t thought to get into the furniture so far. I had to laugh at your “surprise” comment. When my dad passed away and we cleaned out the house, the thing that was on all 5 young adult grandkids’ wish lists was the set of plastic “Land Before Time” cups that they argued over in childhood to get their favorite dinosaur. Good reminder that ordinary things can be priceless too!

Sorry to highjack your thread, Paul! Looking forward to the next update. 🙂

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    yesterday

Got it, but it came without bulbs! Interesting thing is that the chains are a rose gold I guess, but they look a bit orange which is a color I picked for my metal doors across the room. We'll see how this looks lit up when I get some bulbs.

• KW PNW Z8
    yesterday

That light is just perfect in that space. The chains give a Spanish Moss effect. I thought those were bulbs along the ”branch”. How do bulbs fit inside the white holders? Is the chartreuse sofa coming? I love that word ”charteuse”. 😁

• Paul F.
    Original Author
    yesterday

The website said the light was 3000k so you'd think that the bulbs should come with it. I'll call Monday. I've been sick, then recovered, then drove to Vegas... so hopefully the sofa is still there tomorrow.

• Jenny
    yesterday

Does a tattoo parlor come with a moss wall?

Paul F. thanked Jenny
  • Paul F.
    Original Author
    yesterday

On the sunset strip, yes.

• tozmo1
    21 hours ago

Thanks for the update. Looks great. Not Vegas lounge at all!