SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyndi_vanherpe50

2024 Performance Velvet vs Regular Velvet with pets?

Cyndi Vanherpe
3 months ago

I am looking for a pair of sofas. Have looked at all the usual sofa suspects (Hickory Chair, Taylor King, Wesley Hall, Gabby, Century, Norwalk etc).

I have my heart set on a velvet fabric (or a velvet LOOK, even if it technically doesn't qualify as velvet).

Factors:

1) I have a dog (beagle, Lily)

2) Kid free (empty nester)

3) Widow...its just me and my dog in my home

4) Dog has free range of couch and bed (see #3 above, lol)

There are two TOTALLY different schools of thought on the practicality of velvet with pets. Searching the internet has some saying velvet is a hard wearing, nearly indestructible fabric which pet claws/nails do not easily penetrate, therefore RECOMMENDED for pet friendly homes. Pet hair is attracted to it, but is easily cleaned off (does not embed in it). Others literally listing it as a fabric to AVOID because velvet can stain, crush, and pet hair is attracted to it.

Performance velvet is supposedly easier to get stains/spills out of (however you pay, IMHO a huge price in the sheen, movement and depth of color change in performance, which I think looks much more flat).

There are a couple of options for cleaning in most fabric inventories...S- solution based cleaning W- water based cleaning. IS EITHER ONE EASIER/Better for taking care of velvets?

I don't think crushing is a factor...WHY? Because they'll ALL show age and wear eventually that way...(Like leather, which scratches, and darkens with skin oils etc...it's part of the distressing that people actually like...It makes it look softer, more inviting....ALSO guess what, they are selling 'distressed' velvets these days lol)

There are some MUCH older threads on velvet couches (several years old) but SO MUCH has come out in the past couple years with velvets that I am not sure if they reflect the current product mix.

There seem to be a couple off options:

1) Cotton

2) Cotton blend

3) Polyester blend

4) 100% poly

Anyone have recommendations, experience, thoughts about performance vs non-performance velvet fabrics in a pet friendly home?

Any performance velvet brands you've LOVED? Any fabric content to avoid?

Please only comment if you have had experience in this...I appreciate opinions but really am looking for EXPERIENCE with these fabrics, products.

TIA

Cyndi

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths