SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abdou_bah

Plan for master suite

Abdou Bah
3 months ago

Hi - looking for advice on best way to maximize our home addition plan/space. we currently have a 4 bedroom/2.5 bath house with a finished basement. we have decided to do a home addition on the second floor to have a master suite mainly because of the small bathroom, closet space and size of master bedroom we have toay. the goal was to have a bigger bedroom, bathroom and a walk in closet however we are not sold on layout and wic/bathroom layout. what do you think? is there a better way to do this?

Comments (46)

• dan1888
    3 months ago

Is there a proposed version without the space over the garage and the entrance through the existing shower? No new hall.

Abdou Bah thanked dan1888
  • thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Best to post the existing along with the proposed layouts.

Abdou Bah thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Related Discussions

Handicapped access planning.

Q

Comments (6)
    HC accessibility laws must accommodate all of the disabilities and special equipment likely to be used by the public therefore the laws are complex and extensive and don't apply to homes. HC accessibility in a new home is far easier to achieve and does not usually involve 5 ft turn circles or wide hallways and doorways. The use of a motorized scooter in place of a wheelchair eliminates most accessibility requirements except counter heights, under-counter clearances and entrance ramps. Motorized wheelchairs/scooters cost far less than extensive accessibility features and the expense can be postponed until it is needed which might never happen or might happen in your next house. You should provide HC access to the front door now for guests and relatives who might need it.
    ...See More

Planning an addition for a house I'll probably never buy.

Q

Comments (9)
    Jakabedy, I have been doing the same thing! We have a contract on our home (not sure itâÂÂs going though). There is this little house; it is a mess, such a mess itâÂÂs nearly a tear down with plumbing issues and all. I donâÂÂt know why I keep looking at it. The house is smaller than I want and it has a one car garage that used to be a carport (I hate one car garages). ItâÂÂs listed as being built in 1951 but I think itâÂÂs a typo and should read 1961. There were no structures of any sort in that area in âÂÂ51. I have picked out the front door, redesigned the garage with a side entry, changed the windows back to what they should be, and halfway designed the kitchen with slab doors, explored terrazzo tile and other flooring options. I also added on in the back and found a cute octagonal tiki bar for the other side of the pool. The little neighborhood is in a great location but a bit dicey for investing too much money at this time, although every fifth house or so has done extensive updating to the point of eliminating any sign of the original modest retro house. Waaaaa I want to save it! I keep thinking if I save it others may follow.
    ...See More

Would a Saarinen table work here?

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you! Now I'm wondering if this space in the living roomwould be a better space for one. I think I could go a little bigger. (If money was no object, I'd put two womb chairs with a saarinen marble side table and one finn juhl one collection credenza in the hallway...) what do you think? The pics are dark but you can see the view. the addition is going where the fencing and pool equipment is. if i had unlimited budget:
    ...See More

Plan for master suite

Q

Comments (3)
    There seems to be enough space for a walk-in, if that’s what you want. I’d want the view into the room to be the bed rather than a bathroom or closet. But there must have been reasons for the glass hallway, the angled wing... so I don’t feel like there’s enough info/context. What does the architect say?
    ...See More
  • la_la Girl
    3 months ago

not a pro, but the vanity area seems tight given the size of the bath - I would want more elbow room and more storage there

(FWIW the bath seems oversized to me but that’s just personal taste)

Abdou Bah thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Just about anything is better than the plan.

Which needs all walls to have dimensions and windows and door as well.

Bathroom width and a tub ......? Are bad bedfellows

Abdou Bah thanked JAN MOYER
  • rockybird
    3 months ago

I agree with you. This plan is not optimal. Vanities look small given size of bathroom. Long hike to the toilet from bedroom. The closet is so broken up and has a lot of wasted space.

Abdou Bah thanked rockybird
  • PRO
    Abdou Bah
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all for the feedback. i am glad that this community exist and that the feedback confirms some of my concerns. i like Jan’s layout idea to have access to the bathroom from the bedroom and going into the walk-in closet. if you have pictures that could show that layout it would be super helpful

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

There are no pictures of that layout.

Go back and fully dimension the plan you posted. Walls, all of them. Walls, Windows, entry points each have x number of feet and inches in interior spaces.

You don't need a picture, you need a decent footprint for the suite. Scaled to allow clearance codes and all else. Every inch will matter in that bath, and you must do a little more homework.

• cpartist
    3 months ago

Have you confirmed with an engineer that the house can support the second floor addition?

What does the current first and second floor look like? (2d model that is.)

Is the new master over the garage?

Abdou Bah thanked cpartist
  • AnnKH
    3 months ago

2 years ago we bought a house with a large master closet (compared to what we had before). Our previous house had a dresser just outside the closet door, so it was convenient to get clothes from both, and put away clothes without hauling the laundry basket all over.

In the new house, we had hanging clothes in the closet, and folding clothes, sock and undies in the dresser in the bedroom. I quickly found it tedious to grab my underthings, then go into the closet to get the rest of my clothes and get dressed. I tore out all the wire shelving and built new hanging rods, plus shelves and drawers, so ALL our clothes are in the closet - so convenient to put away laundry! Now the dresser holds things used less frequently, but nice to have handy: wool socks, long underwear, sweaters.

What I see in your setup is clothes spread out in 5 locations, some 40 feet apart! And your space designated for out of season is prime real estate. Think carefully about where your clothes will go in this arrangement, and how convenient it will be to gather clothes to wear, or put away laundry.

I also don't like the long trek to the toilet, or the sinks shoehorned into a little cubby in a huge room. The linen closet helps, but there are a lot of small things I like to have in drawers in the vanity. In the toilet/shower room, where will you store spare rolls of TP?

Abdou Bah thanked AnnKH
  • PRO
    Abdou Bah
    Original Author
    3 months ago

thank you for youe feedback everybody! the architect came back with the below modification.

he indicated that We need the wall I show at the tub area for structural ceiling support, it aligns over the great room wall below.

thoughts?

• la_la Girl
    3 months ago

So if you are getting ready in the closet and someone else is using the toilet - you are walking past them to exit the closet? It's personal - but this would not work for me

Are you looking to add this much square footage? Seems like a lot of bathroom and a lot of closet space (plus room for dressers in the master bedroom)

• AnnKH
    3 months ago

I would not want to walk past the shower and toilet to get to the closet! I much prefer the previous iteration, with the closet opening from the hallway.

With 2 sinks and a vanity counter in the bathroom, you have absolutely no storage space in the bathroom - notice the linen closet is gone now? Where will you keep the hair and makeup things to use in that space? You did not have a vanity before - did the architect just throw that in, or did you ask for it?

Abdou Bah thanked AnnKH
  • rockybird
    3 months ago

I agree with AnnKH and la la girl. Walking through two doorways past the toilet to the closet isn’t ideal.

Since you are having trouble designing the narrow space for the bathroom/ closet, can you utilize the existing master for the primary bath/closet and allocate the other area as a guest suite?

• lharpie
    3 months ago

What are the in room closets for? agree no on walking through the toilet to closet. i’m not a fan of accessing closet through bathroom at all, but certainly not without a separate toilet room. not sure how much stuff you have but i’d be fine with dresser and in room closet for daily wear. then use walk in for infrequently used or out of season items, with access through hallway. you could move bedroom enterance back to stairway.

Abdou Bah thanked lharpie
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

You know something is definitely wrong when "his" closet is the same size as "her" closet.

(personal comment, not a professional comment)

Abdou Bah thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

LOL!!!!! True that, Mark

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

You're not there yet, You need dimensions on each wall for anyone to fix it, and you need to add any non negotiable such as windows.

Nobody want's that trek to the potty in the middle of the night, you need an entrance to the closet at top of stairs AND from the bath.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    3 months ago

Your first layout is preferable to the second - why walk through the bathroom to get to the walk-in closet if you don't have to? The reach-in closets in the bedroom seem redundant given the size of the walk-in; if you eliminated them you would have more flexibility in the bedroom layout. And I question the need for a full wall to support the ceiling and/or roof ridge above. Bearing walls can always be replaced by posts and beam(s). Eliminating that wall in the middle of your bathroom would also allow much more flexibility in the layout of the fixtures.

Abdou Bah thanked RappArchitecture
  • suzanne_m
    3 months ago

This is a combination of your architect's two proposals:

Abdou Bah thanked suzanne_m
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Well............? I don't love anything about the narrow bowling alley and distances. Nobody pass out, it's for concept.

Eliminates the meandering travel time

Master bedroom is larger, with the reach in closet removed, and lets ask how much time anyone spends hanging around in the bedroom. The overall footprint is unchanged.

No you aren't gaining a bedroom as with your plan, but you aren't losing one either.

I hate the other plan, every version. Apologies for that : )

Stuffing 150 pounds of poop in a 50 lb bag is usually not fantastic.

You could have a very spa like master bath....?

Or this?

Which keeps the big bedroom ( add the door from hall at top, across from "new bath" sorry: )

All together now.......

• suzanne_m
    3 months ago

I like the flow of JAN MOYER layout (the one where the master bedroom stays in its original location). You could do with a smaller master bath and put that money towards the new bath (pink area).

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

I also like Jan's layout best. It eliminates the WIC taking up valuable real estate on the corner.

However, I would flip the master bed and bath so the bedroom has the three exposures. Also the bedroom looks bigger.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

For Diana b......

window adds to master bath where they work...not drawn

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

When I approach a project that adds space to an existing structure, I try to first explore alternatives that change the existing as little as possible; then explore other alternatives that impact the existing conditions to a greater degree. Many times the 'perfect' plan is accomplished by changing a lot of the existing and the client loves it, but is out of budget; many times a 'very good' plan is achieved by adding to what is already there, and is within budget, that the client loves even more.

• lharpie
    3 months ago

I’d be hard pressed to remove a bedroom with ensuite bath (this is functional and adds resale value), nor would i find benefit from closets the size of a bedroom - all that floor space just seems wasteful. as usual i like Marks concept the best if details can be worked out. i am fine with a bit of distance (and sound isolation!) between bed and bath as long as paths aren’t circular.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I try to do both: ) Perfect is sometimes elusive,can really only be defined by wants, needs, and budget, and what is possible within all. Oftem implies a give/ get. No tub here

Due respect to Mark? The bath distance is not good at the very end of the run.

The addition isn't "already there" - but in that rendition from arch? I would consider losing the tub.

.Nobody gets every single thing they want, and perfectly, not even in a custom brand new build. You spend more time at vanity and in shower, perhaps than floating?

I think it's unrealistic in the footprint allowed to believe you will go from small master/ closet, afterthought sized bath to new build I'm having it ALLLLLLL .

No tub below.........better traffic, from bedroom access to bath,still the big shower, get over it and make the closet work, build in adequate drawer storage in the master bedroom.

At least you can run up stairs for a quick shower, change of clothes.

Add a door to the closet, I can't do everything: )

If the windows must remain in walk in? Add shades and hang right over them, A closet doesn't need windows , it needs storage. It's still a gigantic improvement over your old reach in, you don't lose a bedroom .

Kids don't stay forever, are YOU STAYING FOREVER?

That's another consideration, along with what do the homes in your neighborhood have for beds and baths?

Someone have another?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

Look closely at the structural floor requirements for the space above the garage. The size of the structural members to make the span may require a step in the plan, or a lower ceiling in the garage.

• lyfia
    3 months ago

Do you need an additional bedroom? If not I would keep the existing master but knock out the closet and remove the bath and have that hallway to a new closet and new bath to reduce the scale and cost of the addition. Although I don't know the roof lines so maybe this isn't possible.

So you have a larger master bedroom in your new plan, but I don't see that it provides you any better functionality over the existing one. Just a lot more empty floor space that doesn't seem like it can be used for anything. What do you need a larger bedroom for. What is your goal with having it be larger?

Abdou Bah thanked lyfia
  • AnnKH
    3 months ago

I like Jan's plan, but I would move the bathroom door to the hall, instead of right into the bedroom. I hate having the bathroom light shine right in my face when I'm in bed.

Abdou Bah thanked AnnKH
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

With limited knowledge of the project, here is a tightened up conceptual sketch to consider.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

"Limited knowledge"? I feel like I live there! I also think we lost the op......Summary below, concepts and all.

Do I get the brownie points for color/and black and white...even with straight lines? !

Four ways, all different than the original. I can't think of a fifth, unless the house gets knocked down.

Things to consider....

You went to bed on a full stomach, at one am you realize it's food poisoning.

You severely broke an ankle, have pins and a steel plate, you're on crutches for six weeks. Has not yet happened to Mark..:

: ) : ) : )

Now? All the op has to do is refine this statement:

"The goal was to have a bigger bedroom, bathroom and a walk in closet"

All the versions have bigger all three. Pick the poison of importance pecking order.

And first? Purge your closet!!! You wear it? It fits? You don't wear it or like it? Out. Donate. Consider storing off season elsewhere. Cedar closet in the basement? A dry cleaner who stores? I do this with all my cashmere sweaters and down parkas. Pay for the cleaning on 4/01 and pick up on 10/30. Summer goes in crates with silica packets.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

Well, we gave the OP a lot to think about, and hopefully a lot of people reading along.

As far as the ankle, I wish that's all it was. After a car came across the center line, I got a broken left foot (with a steel pin to hold all the bones together), a broken right leg (with a steel rod to keep my leg from resembling an L between the knee and ankle), a chipped vertebra (that still bothers me a little after 14 years), several scrapes and cuts, and second degree burns on my right hand that I put the flames out with as the car caught on fire with me trapped inside. After three months in a wheelchair I learned to walk again.

The OP better come back soon, I am running out of stories.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

OMG..........................!!!!!!

Were you glad to just be alive? I think a bath was last on your mind, Mark.

• suzanne_m
    3 months ago

I really like the flow of one of the layouts JAN suggested. So, I added the elements in the rooms for you to see what can be done with that layout. The difference between the left and the right pictures is that the new guest bathroom is accessed from the bedroom in picture 1 and accessed from the hallway in picture 2. Note that I moved/added some windows.

green: cabinet / light pink: dresser / black: regular door 30"

purple: clothes / orange: bench / brown: pocket door 30"

medium blue: make-up vanity

One advantage I see with this layout is the space around the tub. Having access to it on 3 sides makes it a lot easier to clean.

A sky light above the tub could be nice too.

• rockybird
    3 months ago

You could do something like this with two walk in closets and a ful guest suite The master bath needs to be better designed than I have it but hard to do without dimensions.

• suzanne_m
    3 months ago

Another one where you have 3 bedrooms on that floor:

I am guesstimating that you have about 28' ft of hanging clothes in your WIC + two 3' dressers + one outside closet (for out of season clothes) that is about 4' wide. Note that I drew an angled wall for ease of getting the furniture inside your bedroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Do you get the feeling we prepared a banquet sized buffet and nobody came to the party ?

The op has every possible option I think, until a further refined wish list. The wheel has been ...........reinvented. No other site on the planet where you'll get this, but Houzz.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

A guest room doesn't need a walk-in closet. Unless of course your "guest" is moving in.

Abdou Bah thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

At which point you consider therapeutic options that come in bottles, screw top or corked. But I think that was a bath in the green sharpie :)?

• PRO
    Abdou Bah
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is becoming therapeutic at this point and agree with Jan that no other sites can provide you this. I have received a lot to consider and will circle back. it also made us think that maybe building over the garage is not the best idea after all. these 2 ideas is where we had started before we started to mess with it….

”option one” was the bigger option (build over the garage) and this layout gave us the WIC next to the bedroom and bath not too far however we though that we we sacrificing bedroom space for the closet space and really didn’t care for an extra bedroom —> this then created the lovely design that you all felt in love with :)

”option two” was the smaller option and didn’t require us to build over the garage, gave us what we wanted but we felt that we were not maximizing the potential of the additional space by building over the garage. the issue we have with this was that the bedroom was a decent size but we were only gaining a bigger bath and wic compared to our current master which didn‘t seem to be optimal given the cost. just wanted to show where we were and our challenge. thank you all for all of the ideas and sketch work!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Well. Forgive me for screaming out loud.

Where were these other options at the start of the post? Or did I miss something?

Because over a week ago, Dan1888 asked.......

"Is there a proposed version without the space over the garage and the entrance through the existing shower? No new hall."

And now we "out" what was there all along?

Why on earth does one need a primary bedroom the size of that found in a manse twenty miles away? You had a gigantic improvement right here below on option 2,,,,,,( yes I tweaked it )

Bigger vanity, extra closet storage.

But forgive me for saying...

You don't know what you want, and nobody here can tell you what that is.

Mark made a comment way up above...."without full knowledge of the project"......

No kidding.

At this point? All you've done is spend architectural fees. Exploratory. Even that soul is trying to read a mind?

What exactly is the thought from all this??

"the issue we have with this was that the bedroom was a decent size but we were only gaining a bigger bath and wic compared to our current master which didn‘t seem to be optimal

"

What indeed IS OPTIMAL? Gigantic everything? Because that bedroom belongs in a bigger house! three chairs? Really? while you're sleeping? And then still a 66 inch vanity for two people?

You haven't clarified optimal anything in your own mind.

Additions, renovations, are not just about bang for the buck any more than decoration is that.

They are about life within a home and your enjoyment for the stay, within what you can AFFORD to enjoy. Period, the end. : )

• cpartist
    3 months ago

What Jan said and I agree the original layout with Jan's tweaks is far better and probably all you need instead of building over the garage.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Case in point,........

Interior Design Work · More Info

elmwood master suite · More Info

What enjoys regularity of use above?

The desk? No.

The bed and the tv.

The wall to the small bedroom was knocked out to create the closet dressing room......far left side not visible/more storage matched , a drawer chest between. It's all hers and every inch is used

HIS closet is both sides of the chandelier space. It's plenty, and he doesn't wake her

His closet both sides beneath chandelier

Down below

This.......The tub with recessed tv for added amusement?

No.... the potty and the shower and the generous vanity

She thought the free standing tub, which replaced a huge jacuzzi tub, and the tv would obviouslu ( hah) further the enjoyment.

I could fill it with sand - it would not matter: )

• la_la Girl
    3 months ago

I much prefer the smaller, more disciplined layout (I feel like most of us typically don’t spend a lot of awake time in a master) -

FWIW when we added on an upper level master we considered extending over the garage

- our first architect said fine and drew up plans (and yikes it was not good)

- when we found our second architect and asked about extending over the garage, he said ”no that will be bloated and unnecessary” he was right :)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 months ago

If you build an addition large enough, you will not need a big walk-in closet because you will not be able to afford clothes.

(humor, just in case it was unrecognizable)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA