SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookie44

Help with wood floor stain selection - best approach?

Colleen D
2 months ago

I am having trouble with the best approach to selecting wood floor stain color for our kitchen renovation. We are replacing our current tile kitchen floor along with all the cabinets (cream with wood island), appliances, etc. Center hall colonial mostly traditional in style with some transitional touches.

The kitchen is partially open and so on one side the flooring abuts wall-to-wall carpeting of an adjacent living room. There is also a doorway (standard size) to a dining room that has existing hardwoods which extend to the foyer and another room. Should the kitchen wood stain match the dining room (and others) because they meet? or just because the first floor shouldn’t have different wood floor colors?

Those existing hardwoods are not a color we like, and we expect to refinish them. Just wondering if I need to think about a stain that will work for ALL of these rooms when selecting for the kitchen (if they all should match) or if coordinating colors will be fine and I can just get what works for the kitchen.

Appreciate any advice, resources or general rule of thumb that may be helpful.

Comments (9)