SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

How to make this not slippery?

Kendrah
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I want to buy a strudy bench for the end of our guest bed. I want to have made a cushion that is: 1. Comfy to sit on, 2. Won't slide around, and 3. Can come on and off easily so my husband can put his feet up on it when he is working out.

My friend can make the cushion. A cushion with corner ties won't look good on this bench. Any other ideas for how to have a cushion that just sits on top of the bench (rather than permanently upholstered to it) and won't slide around?

Bench from Etsy, I'd get it made wider and painted black.

Here's a pic of the room. The bench will go where the chaise is. It was my great, great Aunt's and is getting destroyed by guests and my husband's workouts!)

Comments (49)

• Sammie J
    2 months ago

You can use velcro to hold it. Sew it onto the cushion, and secure it to the bench.

Kendrah thanked Sammie J
  • Related Discussions

How to reduce porcelain tile slipperiness

Q

Comments (32)
    Anna in TX and Enduring - LOL! Kudzu we're so happy to be part of your "intervention". I went through this too, argued with my GC, DH, etc. that I wanted the larger tile in the floor. People here on GW educated me to look at the options to make it safer. I don't have pictures yet as the floor tiling will begin on Mon, but our tile contractor cut my large format into smaller rectangles to match the scale of the large ones, kind of like a miniature version of them. Obviously the labor will be more to place those as they are not on mesh sheets, but they are very meticulous even with the large tiles, so even if I bought the 2x2 matching tiles, it might not have gone any faster. The 2x2s available in our tile also reversed the pattern on each tile and I didn't care for it. I doubt you will need any topical treatment after the smaller tiles are in.
    ...See More

How do I know the slipperiness factor of builder depot honed hex

Q

Comments (2)
    I would think that the more grout would be good for a kids bath with this marble to help provide traction. Have you thought of using epoxy grout? I read that it is more stain resistant. And I believe Bill V once commented that while epoxy may be over kill in the home setting, if you have pets it would be justified (paraphrased). Kids are like pets aren't they?...;)
    ...See More

a product to make wood/laminate stairs less slippery?

Q

Comments (6)
    We did wood laminate floors and were advised to do hardwoods on the stairs because the wood laminates don't last as well on the smaller surface of a step. The wood laminate is a floating floor system and the small size of a step doesn't have much room to float/give....I don't work in the industry; this is just was what I was told when I put my kitchen floor in last summer. The guy who put in the wood laminate didn't really want to deal with building out the hardwood steps and the cost elsewhere made me reconsider....we are now doing carpet on those steps because the other room is carpet and really, really needs replaced.
    ...See More

How to repair slippery grass path?

Q

Comments (8)
    Here are two ideas, the first is to roll out some of the roofing material that has a very rough surface and comes in rolls about 24 inches wide. Will not let the grass grow through but will provide a non slip surface. It is also quite inexpensive. I use it on the stairs that are made of rail road ties and it works beautifully and has lasted for 9 years and still looks new. The second idea is to check at Lowes or Home Depot for plastic lath - strongest you can find and lay it on the grass. The grass will grow right through and the lath can be removed when the path dries out - or not! lol This tip is from a European web site for disabled gardeners. Here is a link that might be useful: AccessibleGardens
    ...See More
  • tlynn1960
    2 months ago

My mother had wooden chairs with seat cushions and she used non-slip shelf liners cut to fit for underneath each cushion so they wouldn't slide around. I looked online and think it was something like Con-tact Premium Grip shelf liner (sort of puffy and squishy).

Kendrah thanked tlynn1960
  • ratherbesewing
    2 months ago

Something like this?

Here’s another one from the big A. The pictures show where they attached the straps.

https://www.amazon.com/WJXBoos-Cushions-Non-Slip-Japanese-14711inch/dp/B08FM3WL8R?th=1

Kendrah thanked ratherbesewing
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Every single bench in any gym is attached padding.

Get a bench with leather or a durable/cleanable fabric top.

Your concept may not be the best. Nor comfortable for sit ups or whatever, and nobody sits on a bench for hours. It's a perch, and a temporary one at that.: )

Buy the time you have it made, a foam a covered cushion etc? You can buy it. Better and a lot more interesting accent, no wheel reinvention needed.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

That's the wrong bench for your room. It doesn't complement any of your existing selections of bed or nightstands. Any bench that Jan has posted is better than what you have selected.

If the bench is leather, it doesn't have to be washed, it won't slide, and you can place your feet on it.

Why is the bed not centered in the alcove?

• k8cd
    2 months ago

I too am wondering why the bed isn’t centered? The sconce placement is interesting too but obviously more difficult to move that than the bed.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

I remember another thread on this room? A lot of twist and spin over "bedspreads" ..masculine......impossible to ruin? something ....hang on. Yes

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6405973/masculine-bedding-and-upholstery-help

A bit of advice here to the OP

You need some pro help in there. What you have it seems......is a case of things begun, unfinished and I sense a lot of it comes from two things , possibly three if I add in resources.

But more than that, it is total over think and you still don't have a room that invites, jmho.

I will get taken to the woodshed for that comment, BUT ? The search for "perfection in a hundred ways" can become wheel reinvention and generally goes nowhere, not even to a good result.

Sometimes, it means letting go of a piece. Aunties chaise may be incredibly sentimental, but it also looks like "Aunties", is not in any way suited to the space, and never was. I see however, it is still there, and yes a bench is a wiser, far better choice - just don't make that the wrong choice that simply wastes resources.

Pick a real direction, and finish: )

• simplynatural
    2 months ago

I made a piano bench cushion with pieces of flat black elastic (1" wide?) sewn into the seams so they lie flat diagonally across the lower corners (see illustration below that shows the underside of the cushion). The elastics slip over the corners of the bench top and hold the cushion in place. The cushion is very easy to slip on and off and the black elastic wouldn't show against a black bench. Your bench is longer, so corner elastics alone might not be enough. Combine the elastics with the non-slip shelf liner in the middle, maybe?

• ci_lantro
    2 months ago

so my husband can put his feet up on it when he is working out.

Won't the bench be too tippy for working out?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Yes..... it will be tippy even if made a bit deeper seat. It will be a pain in the neck too.: )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I would do a Barcelona bench in leather no issue with slipping or feet and I agree the chaise needs to go

• elcieg
    2 months ago

I know the bench is the topic of your dilemma, but you mention your hub's working out here. Is his workout equipment in this room, as well? Looks like a cute room with modifications, but I can't imagine combining a guest room with a "slippery" sweat room.

You have no basement?

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks for the tipping question. I just Skyped with my husband’s trainer. She found a solution with our kitchen chair! Score. We can just get a bench for tossing stuff on and sitting on. She suggested storing a basket underneath for small weights and props.

I've never owned leather. Does it scratch or stain easily, is performance fabric better? Imagine suitcases and bags with hooks and zippers dragged across it, wet towels and coats thrown on it, people spilling food on it, someone will be daring enough to sit an iced coffee on it I'm sure. My guests are extremely loving people but furniture barbarians.

We live in NYC: Apartment, no basement.

The niche is functional, not decorative, where two concrete columns and a concrete beam meet, and is not centered on the room. If I centered the furniture in the niche one person would have a very narrow aisle to get in and out of bed - not safe for my parents running to the bathroom at night. I worked with an (idiot) architect, a lighting designer, and surveyed lots of neighbors in my high rise - we all have this centering dilemma. Everyone concurred this placement is best.

@JAN MOYER - No woodshed. I appreciate your honesty. Yes, this room is creeping along. TONS of guests visited in the last six months since construction ended, and their use of the space is super informative. My aging parents will finally try it out next week. I want function over a quick pretty fix.

Also, it takes time for spaces to evolve when you are not buying "fast furniture", aiming for made in the USA, buying from craigslist. However, I think I'm ready to buy this bench as one of the few fast furniture pieces I’ve ever purchased, ignore the Chinese or Vietnamese kids who are suffering for it, and be done with it.

@Ratherbesewing - That bench looks like something you'd get strapped down on for a lethal injection! But I appreciate your research none-the-less.

• latifolia
    2 months ago

Jan's options are attractive and worth considering.

If you decide to keep Auntie's chair for sentimental reasons, it needs to be reupholstered: the cushion is shot. You might consider a bold, two fabric re-do, with velvet on the back and leopard or fabulous antique crewelwork or something on the cushion. Right now it's boring.

Leather can be great, but you need a high quality one. Cheap, bonded leather does not hold up. In Geneva I bought a set of four chaises Vaudoises at the flea market. They were dirty and I thought the seats were Naugahyde or something. Turns out they are superb kid, in off white. At least fifteen years later, they are still perfect - and the leather wasn't new then!

Kendrah thanked latifolia
  • Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh certainly, I had planned on reupholstering the chaise, having the whole piece taken down to the bones. I’d been looking a fabric and getting quotes. My husband sits in it regularly and works. However, I realized I don’t want to put good antique furniture in a room that guests are going to trash. Hence, the bench idea came about.

In the 70’s this chaise lived in my grandparents bedroom. It was covered in a peach and pale yellow print that looked like an impressionist painting. I remember sitting on it with my mom while she taught me to blow a bubble with orange Trident gum as my grandma got dressed to go out. In the 80’s it got covered in this fabric and lived in my bedroom. It was where I spent hundreds of hours talking on the phone. Sadly, I think I need to get rid of it because we have no room for it elsewhere. It belonged to my great-great Aunt.

Somethings I can let go of easily, but this one has so much history. I It’s harder.

• dianabythelocks
    2 months ago

You could put up curtains to cover the niche, but have them centered to where you want the bed. Just an idea if you're looking for one.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

You don't need a "kitchen chair" in there! You need a simple bench, leather top, even FAUX leather and to get over the absurd hand wring you've done on the entire room. A kitchen chair has a seat height of 18" or 19" - so too a bench!

Not to mention , a trainer should know that nobody wants the obstruction of a back on the darn thing if they are propping up their feet!

As to the sustainable, Craigslist ,The USA made...... The antique, the "Barbarian guests"?

Perhaps you need to adjust thinking and realize you can put a glass top on wood furniture, and that the iced coffee slobs deserve no better than simple and very washable LL Bean USA bedding. That a little "made elsewhere" isn't the end of the so called free world, either. Buy a folding luggage rack or two, and use them. Store right beneath the bed.

For what it's worth? I'd have dry walled right over that niche. That would drive me insane

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/solid-wood-luggage-rack-with-shelf/product/77831?variantColorName=Color&variantColorValue=Walnut&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid%20search&utm_campaign=NonBrnd_Medium_YearRound_Home-Other_7RSHP083&sourceid=7RSHP083&gclid=CjwKCAiAmsurBhBvEiwA6e-WPPAUKeIssKFAp7tbdbP-chyjprYgMbUulwpXCoGSmOgKMv6oL0rHpxoCH7IQAvD_BwE

• RTHawk
    2 months ago

Keep the chaise in the guest bedroom after reupholstering if you don't have room for it elsewhere - when rough guests come - put a sign "Don't sit - broken". For the bedroom wall, embrace the asymmetry -- consider different side tables with the one on the right wider than the one on the left.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Patrica - I do like that Barcelona bench, if my husband does too, it should be any easy find. What is your take on leather and scratching? I'm sure you have experience with this in all your years of designing.

@latifolia What is Vaudoises?

@JAN The emeco kitchen chair already lives 10 feet away, trainer is cool with it turned 90-degrees so no back, and I'm thrilled dirty sneakers will be on a wipeable non-upholstered surface. I've found protection for the wood dresser and bought LL Bean USA sheets, great quality and value.

I stored 2 luggage racks beneath the bed but need to make room for two extra cabinet doors leftover from construction - Manhattan tetris. I've got lots of room for a multipurpose bench at the end of the bed, just want one that is tough, like I use in hotels all the time.

I agree - individual purchasing habits will never make a difference in most anything. Only policy will. Still, I just cannot bring myself to buy fast furniture 99% of the time. To each their own.

These concrete column and beam recesses are on nearly every wall, in every room, in every apartment in our pre-war complex. You'd hate it. It doesn't bother me. I don't know anyone who has rebuilt all the walls of their apartment in drywall. Not even the filthy rich, wonderfully decorated, famous neighbors apartments.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 months ago

I’d love to see more of the room to better comment. I don’t mind asymmetry - especially if function is involved. But I don’t think the matching end tables and lights are helping. That cries for symmetry.

• Jennz9b Arizona
    2 months ago

The most important thing to do here is center the bed and light in the niche.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@thinkdesignlive I really do appreciate your curiosity, but I'm not bothered by the asymmetry and am happy with my recent headboard, end table, and new bedside light purchases. Here are pics for the other side of the room, in progress, but the bones are in place as far as purpose and location for seating, electric and lighting to accommodate.

Note, this is a studio apartment down the hall from our actual apartment. It is for office, guest, exercise use. Aging in place concerns for my parents and health accommodations for my husband are top priority. Filling the space with things my husband loves is also a priority. Here are some reasons for why we have what we have in the space.

Above all, we never expect anywhere we live to look like a magazine but to function well, be our aesthetic, and be comfortable to visitors.

- TV, ugly but stays, swings over to the desk as a huge computer monitor screen where my husband works many, many hours a day. Swings towards the bed for good viewing.

- Wing back chair - will be reupholstered, good quality chair. Husband needs to sit upright with head rest sometimes for medical reasons and wing backs do the trick. He also sits in it and works on TV screen from cordless keyboard. Need an ottoman to go with. Suggestions appreciated!

- Things we'll keep because he loves and wants them where they are - Desk is new (vintage), lamp made from a WWI bomb shell. Has a print he loves for above the desk but I think the set up calls for a piece that is larger - not sure what to do here, suggestions?

- Window treatments - east facing, piercing AM light, need black out shades, multiple vendors say the best way to reduce light leaking between shades is cellular shades. Need four individual shades because of summer AC window unit in one of the windows. Thinking Shade Store black out cellular in neutral color that is very close to wall color. (Won't order until a broken window is first fixed because don't trust window guys to carefully take down new shades. Wonky different wall jogs around window, can't push curtains far back enough to not block view.)

- Thoughts on another chair by the window? Could be too tight with ottoman. Want to see how my parents use the space on a visit next weekend. Want them to have positive feelings about the space so they feel better about staying long periods of time if ever needed.

Excuse the mess!

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

For reference, here are the other spaces in the studio apartment:

Kitchenette/laundry through the door behind wingback.

Long hall / dressing room - mid install, movers hit the chandelier, getting fixed.

Bathroom

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Anyone familiar with Kardeil furniture? Never heard of them. Don't love the color of this leather but maybe it is better in person. They have a NYC showroom so I can look at the actual piece. I like the length and depth a lot. Seat might be a tad bit low for aging knees.

https://www.kardiel.com/fritz-55-leather-bench-walnut-milano-russet/

This second one is from Article is similar but higher. Anyone purchase from Article before? What is the quality? I'm so new to buying new furniture!

Will a black bench feel like it is boxing in the bed because of the black nightstands on either side? Or it black a good match to the black nightstands?

https://www.article.com/product/15433/ansa-charme-black-bench

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

The scratching usually is an issue if you have dogs and cats but runners should not do any damage .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Joss and Main

• latifolia
    2 months ago

We bought plastic chairs from Article for the lake house. They were so comfortable we bought six for the island place. Only problem is the rubber feet caps stick to the tile floors and pop off when you move the chair. Otherwise quality seems fine, but only five months' experience.

Chaises Vaudoises are small, wood dining chairs in the style of the Swiss canton of Vaud. Mine are antique, with upholstered seats: four with the kid leather; two came with needlepoint.

• ker9
    2 months ago

For the original wood bench with cushion, buy a non slip rug pad made for wood floors. Should keep the cushion in place but also be easy to remove.

Kendrah thanked ker9
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

I think the tufted options that Jan posted are more interesting for that room and will meet your needs.

Kendrah thanked RedRyder
  • k8cd
    2 months ago

Could the chaise go in the window alcove? Maybe angled out a bit? With the wingback near by to create a conversation area?

Kendrah thanked k8cd
  • PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

I suggest you centre the bed in the shallow alcove and get a large framed art to cover the light fixture that you can remove (it's off centre as well and make everything look awkward). Along with a leather bench (the one shown is from Wayfair), make the bed more welcoming ... You can choose an accent colour of your choice to complement your existing decor.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@lisedv Thanks for posting that mock up. It is so incredibly helpful to be able to visualize this in the space. I'm off to wayfair to look at that piece. (I also love how handsome the bed looks with black and white checked pillows. Who knew?)

I'm keeping the bed and lighting as is. It is centered in the room, even though it is not centered in the nook. The nook is not at all centered on the room and if we centered it on the nook there wouldn't be enough space to easily get in and out of both sides of the bed. We moved furniture around and tried centering it in the nook, but having it centered on the room ended up looking better and being safer. My older parents will be staying in this guest room and I'm really cognizant of making wide pathways for them to walk to reduce fall risks. I have seen the bed centered on the nook in other apartments listed in my building and it would be fine for a single person who can just get in and out of bed on only one side and then use the space to the left for a desk or dresser.

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Kendrah: I made a few suggestions, and simply happy that some of them work for you! Even if you leave the bed off centered in the alcove (I understand why that works better for you), would you be able to remove the light high up on the wall above the bed, cover the outlet (according to code), and place a large piece of art over it? Just that would make a difference for the off centered look...

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

I love the mock-up from @lisedv. The caramel tufted leather bench and the matching throw on the bed is simple but elegant.

Yes, the b&w checkered pillows are great with the other neutrals! Are these colors your parents will like? It’s nice when your guests love the guest room you have for them.

Is the light over the bed critical? I noticed the two lamps are downward lights and won’t help give overall light. I agree that wall light, if it can be sacrificed, occupies a great spot for a large piece of art.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My parents really like the Room and Board Dijon colored coverlet that I already own, shown in pics - great quality, good weight in summer and winter. It has a tiny pinstripe to it, hard to see in these pics. The Dijon blends into the rug, makes the room feel bigger, and the bed less prominent. I'd like to keep it. (I tried other colored coverlets recently and returned them.) Would either of these pillow cases work with the Dijon? My parents hate extra pillows, so I'd likely just go with pillow cases and no extra pillows.

I'd like to cover the wing back in a color similar to the Dijon, a crypton fabric. Walnut, Dijon, black, and cinnamon like leather as the colors in this space. Does that work? I also love olive/army green and am not opposed to getting a bench with that colored fabric cover.

Our lighting designer played with the sconce layout while the room was dark. Without a scone on this wall the room is too dark, with it centered in the nook, it is uneven and leave a blacked out area in the corner. My Dad loves these sconces, and good, even lighting reduces fall risks so is a priority for us.

• k8cd
    2 months ago

Could there be 2 or 3 sconces?

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Do whatever your folks like if they are your most important guests.

I would get the whole room completed and THEN pick fabric for the chair. I’m in the same boat (we’ve discussed the fabric shopping dilemma on another thread). I now have my new rugs and have to choose fabric for my wingback chairs. But the final decision was the fabric since once the rugs came and changed the space, what I would want for the chairs got slightly changed.

It’s possible one designer pillow will make the chair work in the end. Or a throw.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Architectural lighting is very different from decorative lighting. We are incredibly happy with our architectural lighting design and install, and not changing it. If you stood in the space you'd see why: Even, bright lighting in a pre-war apartment is very hard to achieve, and is a top priority for reducing fall risks for my parents.

I can't believe how many older people in NYC have to roam through dark living rooms to turn on individual lamps because over head lighting is not allowed in a lot of pre-war living room ceilings and it costs a small fortune to run in plaster walls switches to lamp outlets.

Has anyone else ever had an architectural lighting consultation? It is really impressive. The designer came with plug in versions of hard wired fixtures, blacked out our room, and showed us how light was cast in different areas, by different fixtures, and with different numbers of fixtures. Good lighting is so underrated (and incredibly expensive yikes!) But once you dive into that world, it is hard to go back...

• k8cd
    2 months ago

I just realized there are sconces on other walls as well. They blend in so well I missed them in the picture before.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oooh, I'm glad you didn't see them! I tried hard to get them the same finish as the walls so they will blend in.

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Somehow on my screen the colour of the accent pillow above seems a bit off to coordinate with your dijon colour coverlet. I show below a white & black check (Bed Bath & Beyond) which would look nice with your black/charcoal throw. I also show white bed linen with the dijon coverlet and I would fold the thrown to spread across the bed at the foot of the bed instead of having it hanging over the edges like in your picture. Here's an idea of the look...

On my way out but will be back to respond to your other questions later.

Kendrah thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Looking for your wing chair in previous photos I noticed that you seem to have navy blue roman shades on your window as well as a navy lampshade. Although I do like the colours of tan, olive, dijon, etc. you mention, I'm just wondering if all those colours together wouldn't just be too much for the decor and, there's no mention that you intend to replace the navy items.

So... I'm showing the tan leather bench (18 inches high is a good height for bad knees) with your dijon coverlet, a navy throw and navy & white lumbar accent pillows. I also show the wing chair in a navy & white pattern.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

JACKPOT! I found a West Elm bench high enough for knee comfort, deep enough to hold suitcases, and long enough for two people who love each other to sit side by side. It is in a showroom near me so I can try it out.

Please give me color suggestions. They have loads to choose from plus either darkened pewter or blackened brass feet. I'm thinking olive green with brass feet so they blend with the rug and nod to the brass bedside sconces and desk hardware. But, I also have a lot of black in the room too. Thoughts? https://www.westelm.com/products/andes-bench-h2864/?pkey=cbenches

@lisedv Thanks for the mock ups with navy, though we don't have any navy in the room. Lamp shade is black, window shades are temporary paper shades, and we will recover the wing back chair.

Blackened brass feet

Dark Pewter feet

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Kendrah: You've found a nice bench, my personal preference is forthe Dark Pewter feet. Now that I understand there's no navy and you've introduced the moss green (fabric looks nice when you see the large scale sample), I've gone back to black accents. I show on the right the wingback chair in either a dark charcoal or moss green (you'll certainly have many options when choosing the fabric, this is only for an idea of the look), and I've replaced the navy roman shades with natural fibre ones. Definately much nicer with the black than with the navy...

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I LOVE the natural fiber shades. However, three vendors all said I need cellular black out shades. (Blinding east facing morning light.) The mechanism of cellular will reduce light bleed the most. I haven't seen natural fiber in cellular. Instead they are all a paper like material. Any thoughts on what to do with color choices for this? I was probably going to use the Shade Store and these are the only blackout cellular colors. Earth seems like the most tan neutral they have. I've seen it in person though and it is really just a slight parchment like color.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Darker pewter legs on the bench. It’s always great when something LOCAL, you can see in person is available!

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 months ago

Kendrah, have you looked into other suppliers? Blinds to Go (there might be others in your are, I'm in Canada) seems to have a blackout cellular shade in charcoal (or black - but that might be too stark). It would coordinate with either a moss green chair or a charcoal windowpane fabric like the one shown on the sketch. I think it's better to have something that's not imitating the natural fibre, it may be close to the look but really not like the look of the original...

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!