SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresa21

Selling a Home and Induction Ranges

theresa21
2 months ago

I just invited a heavy-hitter realtor to give me a market analysis on my home. By heavy hitter, I mean that the realtor is widely known and sells the most expensive properties in our area. He's been in business for quite some time, and he is highly regarded and an expert in his field. When I gave him a tour of my newly-remodeled kitchen, I pointed out that it was an induction range. He asked if it would be easy to run a gas line to the range because, he said, most people want gas. I told him that it was unfinished basement below, so yes, it would be easy. The induction range was never going to be a deal-breaker for my property, so that was not a concern, and we quickly moved on to other things. In hindsight, I don't think he understood that the range was induction and not electric. I'm guessing he is not familiar with induction, perhaps he has never sold a home with induction.

I find that I am constantly having to explain induction to people when I talk about my kitchen remodel. For that matter, I also have to explain the concept of a single-bowl sink. Only one acquaintance so far had a full understanding of induction because he owns an induction range. Admittedly, he has a science background and tends to think more about these things than the average person would. Another friend, who is a lawyer, was vastly critical of me owning an induction range and argued that the merits of induction over electric is overblown by me, and that I was jumping on some sort of hyped bandwagon.

I know the lag of people switching over to induction will be slow, but how long do you think it will take for induction to become more mainstream in understanding the pros and cons of an induction range, verses gas or electric?

Comments (55)