SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_638604919

KRG365-NG; Fulfillment success of HESTAN 's warranty promise?

Jaden Smirks
5 months ago

11/28/23

Been dealing with a broken oven (heating and door not sealing) for about a year and a half.

(Bought / installed April 2022)

1. Has anyone had luck with actually receiving a new same appliance (exchange) from HESTAN after a residential kitchen appliance keeps breaking and the service repair tech (of which there a tiny number of authorized ones in a major metropolitan area) is just being sent to redo the same problem? Or playing wack-a-mole every couple of months.

2. Has anyone had success with actually returning and getting a full refund for their appliance worth thousands?

3. What is your longest time between emailing and calling their service dept and getting a reasonable resolution to your broken appliance?

Comments (11)

• HU-227031627
    5 months ago

Can't answer your question. But if you haven't, read through your warranty and see what it says about "lemon" appliances. Lemon laws vary by state. Hopefully, your situation is resolved without an attorney.

Jaden Smirks thanked HU-227031627
  • HU-543676069
    5 months ago

Thanks for the tip. Their warranty actually doesn't mention anything about broken appliances (lemon or not).

• M Miller
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Here is a link to Lemon Laws by state, but they tend to cover only cars, not appliances. What you really have to rely on is the warranty under which the manufacturer is bound to repair, replace or refund for any defective item (which one of those is at the manufacturer's discretion). If they are not able to repair the product they must replace it or refund your money. However, most appliances warranties are 1 year, and you said you've had yours for a year and a half.

Also, if the company has not been responsive for a year and a half, I doubt that the threat of invoking a lemon law or the warranty is going to move them. Your next steps would be either (1) to file a complaint with the State Attorney General's Consumer Division since they will have a mechanism to resolve warranty disputes; or (2) you can file suit against the manufacturer for breach of warranty and product liability damages, but that is a whole other can of worms.

https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline/lemon-laws-by-state

Jaden Smirks thanked M Miller
  • Jaden Smirks
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks for the idea M Miller.

I researched my state's states consumer protection laws (CA.) There is a dept called the Bureau of Household Goods and Services, https://bhgs.dca.ca.gov/ that "holds jurisdictional authority" over both "Service Contract Sellers and Service Contract Obligors," which I think is what Hestan's warranty would be under.

I will be pursuing a complaint with that dept. I hope it will get the company to make me a priority and uphold their warranty commitment.

• Mrs. S
    4 months ago

If this oven has been broken for a year and a half, what are you using for an oven?

I would be so angry at this manufacturer, but have you pressured the retailer as well? Where did you purchase this oven?

My thought is that if it were me I would purchase a good used oven that would fit in the spot and give up on getting a new one from that manufacturer. That is probably the first time I have EVER said anything like that in these forums. But if you need an oven that works, then you might be better off just perusing OfferUp and Nextdoor for a good used oven, and writing off the old oven, if you have exhausted all your avenues. You need to be able to cook stuff.

Jaden Smirks thanked Mrs. S
  • Jaden Smirks
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks for your input. We have two. Hestan was supposed to be a major upgrade for more activity. We are struggling to manage with the old while the new one is an on and off saga.

• ljwrar
    4 months ago

Yes, a Perlick under counter freezer. I purchased from a reputable local retailer. After 1 1/2 years of service calls, I emailed the original sales person, outlined all the issues with repair dates, and included scans of the service call paperwork. A week later, she called to tell me I would be getting a new freezer.

Jaden Smirks thanked ljwrar
  • Jaden Smirks
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I am the original poster. After contacting the Bureau of household goods and services in the state of CA, I was told they do not have jurisdiction on original manufacturers's warranty claims. (Their "... jurisdiction resides in the paid repair of major household appliances and electronics and purchased extended warranties for Californian consumers.")

They referred me instead to the state attorney general's office...

• Jaden Smirks
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks Ijwrar, This is useful advice. I will work on collecting all the docs.

• Jaden Smirks
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@ AB Normal: Interesting. The warranty I received from them months back, actually states "HCC agrees to repair or replace, at HCC's sole option, any part or component of the product that fails due to defective materials or workmanship during the Limited Warranty Period." ... (They do of course cover themselves.)