SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecasta

Honed black granite countertops are classic right?!

ecasta
3 months ago

So some of you might remember that I posted a few years back about my kitchen countertop disaster. I had this awful granite all the way up the backsplash. I ripped it out a few years ago and replaced it with a pretty oversized cream subway tile. It took a few years to save up again and now I’m finally ready to rip out the countertops. I need something classic because this really has to be the end. I want a classic honed black granite. It’s affordable and won’t make my eyes crazy looking at it every day. So after all that, my question is: isn’t black considered truly timeless along with a simple subway tile? I have a different light fixture now (see photo) which is very nice and I can update the pulls too. I’m trying to decide if I should go with antique brass or will I have too much black if I just stick with black or bronze. Help! Design pros please weigh in. Thank you SO much!

Comments (45)

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

P.S. The shade over the window is going to be removed as well.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is the idea. Sorry I don’t know how to edit my original post.

• Related Discussions

Choosing Countertops Honed Black Granite and Fingerprints

Q

Comments (6)
    I personally don't have the honed AB but have done a lot of research about it because I want to use it in my daugther's bathroom reno. It seems that since the honed does not have a shine to it, that when you touch it or it gets wet, it leaves marks, just form the natural oils in your hands absorbing into the stone. I have read mixed reviews that some people don't notice it at all and it bothers others. I also read a great way to solve the fingerprint issue to spray method granite cleaner and polish all over it with a rag right after it's installed and the polish will soak into the stone, so you won't notice the fingerprints as much. That is what I have decided to do if I go that route. Sorry I don't have personal experience but that is what I have read about. If it is really the look you want go for it! I love the way it looks in kitchens.
    ...See More

honed absolute black granite

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi there. I do not have absolute black honed, although I have seen it and think it is really great looking. jb1176 is right about the warnings re: absolute black and honed granite in general. You should speak again with your fabricator and maybe do some independent research regarding the chance that it was dyed. However, and this is really the point of my post, try to keep it in perspective. This site is great, and trust me I have learned so much, but I think that it encourages some unhealthy obsessions with the ideal kitchen. I am not immune, and I do not mean to sound condescending. I am in the middle of redoing my kitchen right now and between the disarray, my high expectations and the sickening amount of money (even for our modest kitchen) being spent, I am often at the end of my rope. I practically had a stroke when I saw that the color of the new wood floor didn't match the old wood. My kids backed away from me, as I sputtered and spewed while examining the floors. Sputtered and spewed are euphemisms for swore and threatened, by the way. Later that day, I had a little pow wow with the gc and the floor sub. And they made it better. They didn't make it perfect, but the floor, like your counters, looks good. And that is ok. Good Luck.
    ...See More

Black honed granite or black quartz?

Q

Comments (12)
    Frey - My current granite is polished. I have been super happy with it the past 10 years. Initially we were going to keep the granite and just paint the cabinets, but then the project morphed into something bigger. So we are doing all new countertops. Funnily enough, in my search for an alternative to soapstone, I came across Virginia Mist and Raven - both a honed granite. Here are photos of the slabs from our stone supplier: http://www.tmsupply.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=660 http://www.tmsupply.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=2831 We are going to the showroom Friday to look at these and compare to the Diresco Velvet Quartz. I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to the granite for the perimeter and quartz for the island. Here is the quartz for the island: http://www.tmsupply.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=7186 What color cabinetry are you doing?
    ...See More

Brand New Black Honed Granite Countertops Look Cloudy and Streaky

Q

Comments (11)
    "I think they applied the sealer incorrectly." It may have not needed sealer at all. If the stone is too dense to absorb the sealant - as most black granites are - the sealant sits on top of the stone, forming a haze. This is particularly noticeable if a dish or something is pulled across the counter, streaking the sealant. There are many granites that do not ever need to be sealed because they are too dense, but unfortunately, many fabricators apply sealant habitually, whether the granite needs it or not. The sealant can be removed with acetone. If you have some nail polish remover in the house, you can try that, since nail polish remover is acetone. Otherwise you can get acetone at Home Depot or hardware stores. A little goes a long way. It would be best to test an inconspicuous spot with the acetone, and wipe off, and see what happens. I say inconspicuos spot because there are some black granites being sold that have been dyed to be more black than they originally were. If that is the case with yours, then the acetone will take off the hazy sealant but also some of the black dye, so test in an inconspicuous spot.
    ...See More
  • chloe00s
    3 months ago

Smart to go with a honed black granite. I have glossy black and they are really hard to keep looking good - every little smear shows. First do the countertops, then decide on pulls, but I think black pulls will look good. I don’t think I would choose bronze. I also have white cabinets and black counters, and just switched from stainless pulls to black and love the new look. You just need simpler, more modern pulls.

• freedomplace1
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

ALL granite stone is “classic,” including the granite that you are planning to remove. The idea that some granite stones are not “classic” and are now somehow “outdated” is driven by changing personal tastes; and much of these changing tastes come down to marketing influence. Mass marketing and herd thinking. But ancient granite stone really cannot be “outdated.” It is all “classic.”

That said - yes - right now many people are on the honed bandwagon, and the “newer” entries of black granites are current darlings. So some of the classic black granites are currently holding their own in terms of popularity. Will this still be the case next week? Who knows.

• dan1888
    3 months ago

Honed black counters are site specific. Only classic in that sense. I'd save up more and use honed Taj Mahal quartzite for this kitchen. You can get a better feel for what living with matte black will be like for under $30. Amazon.com: RUSPEPA Black Kraft Paper Roll - 24 inches x 100 feet - Recyclable Paper Perfect for for Crafts, Art, Wrapping, Packing, Postal, Shipping, Dunnage & Parcel : Health & Household

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Honed black granite is classic, ( looks like soapstone, also a classic ) and it isn't needed that you think of it as a "color" and limit yourself.....Add some color to the kitchen, ( Ruggables for a runner etc / yes to warm brass accent.

• arcy_gw
    3 months ago

Never ever would I want black counters. Sucks all the light...first thing I would change/did change when we moved in.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Yes, black is surely classic and timeless with white cabinets and your backsplash. However, I encourage you to look at lots of pictures of your sized kitchen with all black countertops to be sure it won't feel too dark or dominant to you.

Your inspiration pic (gorgeous) has a wall of windows, higher ceilings, fewer uppers, no backsplash, a unit with open legs, and cabinets that are slightly grey and contrast less with black. Your kitchen feels more enclosed with less light. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, but you should try to find many examples of kitchens with multiple black counters in a U shaped configuration with the same amount of light as yours.

Tape black disposable party table cloths to your countertop to see what that much black feels like in your space. It certainly won't translate the quality and beauty of stone but might be a useful exercise none the less.

Perhaps your island would look better in a material other than black if it feels like too much. Get your counters installed first before ordering your ceiling light and hardware. You may decide you want brass hardware to brighten up the room and your lovely chandelier selection in brass might look brighter too.

Do you have undercabinet lighting? It could help brighten up the counters and make it easier to see.

HIllsdale Kitchen · More Info

Expansive Shingle Style · More Info

County Chic Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Nashville Kitchen · More Info

• herbflavor
    3 months ago

I'd go with lighter counters and have a cohesive look between cabs/counter/backsplash and wall cabs. The floor is a beautiful feature. Maybe a wood top on the island along with a couple great new stools w backs. . Can you shift to a more "transitional style" light fixture. I wouldnt go colonial w any hardware or fixture..Stick w transitional. In general , given the footprint and one cabinet color......this is a good space for a different island top to contrast w the perimeter.

you dont want pendants?? fixture only?? I would actually spend a little more time on that choice before nailing down the counter option.....

here's fixtures / more transitional / then get a feel for what you want from counter/backsplash.

Vickery Place · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

• Design Fan
    3 months ago

With your kitchen design, black counters will be prominent and very noticeably bisect the room color-wise at counter height.

Try loading your room photo into the Sherwin Willams or Benjamin Moore color tool and adding a matte black paint and then a white paint to your counters to get an idea of the impact of light and dark counters. It should help you decide which direction to go in.

I think lighter will be better.

• la_la Girl
    3 months ago

I think you have such a nice bright kitchen - agree with changing the shade, pendants and I would add a nice rug instead of the grey mat - I would make those changes and reasses the need for new counters

(FWIW if it were me, I’d take the money for new counters and go on a fabulous trip/adventure)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    3 months ago

I think black honed will look ok. But I do think it’s going to suck out a lotta light. Bring in color with rugs or art perhaps. I know you’re choosing based partly on cost, but do re-think. Soapstone?? A simple Corian in a light color? You’ve lived with this stuff you’ve hated. It’s gonna cost in $$$, mess, etc. Don’t go for something just because you think it’ll be cheaper and good forever.

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

Buy several pieces of black poster board ( Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc). Lay them out on top of your counter. Look at them in your light, in your kitchen, morning afternoon, evening. Easy to decide

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 months ago

Honed absolute black will look great forever. I have leathered Ab in my kitchen and love it. Years ago I went in a house that was for sale and they had black slate finished laminate and looked fantastic and had to be 20 years old. Like classic white cabinets , black counters will always look good even as tastes ebb and flow

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 months ago

Honed black granite is lovely for a white kitchen and will never go out of style. I'd also consider soapstone, which is a little softer looking and will give it more of a vintage/farmhouse vibe.

Saucon Valley Classic · More Info

• chispa
    3 months ago

Have you considered Taj Mahal quartzite? I would look for the swirly Taj Majal slabs that have more cream, off white and white colors in them. Stay away from the stripped and taupe/gray slabs.

Classic Traditional White Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Chic Distressed White Kitchen - Barrington, IL · More Info

• Mrs Pete
    3 months ago

... I need something classic because this really has to be the end ... isn’t black considered truly timeless along with a simple subway tile? ...

Nothing is genuinely timeless. A couple thoughts on black countertops:

- Personally, I think all that countertop in black is going to make the room dark ... yes, you have two windows, but they're on the far end of the room. Before you take the plunge, I suggest you buy some cheap black wrapping paper and "wrap" your countertops to get a preview of how it'll look.

- I like the look of black countertops ... but we had black granite in a rental beach condo once, and Every. Little. Crumb. shows. If I were getting black, I'd want a little bit of something to break up the solid color.

- Definitely antique brass. Or silver. You're already talking about bringing in a large amount of black.

- I like what you have now. It looks to be in good condition, and it fits your room. I do imagine having it as backsplash would've been "too much", but I'd keep what you have.

Do you have undercabinet lighting? It could help brighten up the counters and make it easier to see.

A great idea.
    I'd go with lighter counters and have a cohesive look between cabs/counter/backsplash and wall cabs. The floor is a beautiful feature.

In a perfect world, your countertops and floors "relate".

Soapstone??

I think I'd like soapstone better than black granite in your space. It's a "softer" look.

There is NOTHING "wrong" with what you have. It is a classic stone, even though it isn't in the current Top 10 most fashionable. Cabinets and counters used to not be part of the yearly fashion cycle. They were a nice color, and functional, and not changed for literally decades. It's only with the rise of the internet, HGTV, and social media, that people feel pressured to remove perfectly functional items from their homes with frequency, because they are a few years "outdated". That's a marketing concept, to get you to keep spending money.

That's what I was trying to say upthread ... but you said it better.

• HU-227031627
    3 months ago

I recommend that you don't buy a slab and then have it honed. Buy it after it is honed (or leathered), so that you know exactly what you are getting.

Black honed granite will be great for your very beautiful kitchen!

Be mindful of what edging you select. The edging might date the stone more than the color/type of stone.

• darbuka
    3 months ago

The most dated thing in your kitchen is the lack of lower drawers. Look at all of the inspo pics posted in the comments. Nary a lower door to be found. Drawers are just so much more convenient.

Your counters are more than fine. They’re light, and fit your kitchen decor perfectly. Changing the granite isn’t going to update the lower cabinets.

I agree with others, steer clear of Colonial light fixtures for your kitchen. Get something transitional, which won’t place the kitchen in a certain time period.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 months ago

I'm going to preface my comment by saying I am a big, big fan of black counters -- I love them, in fact, in the right setting.

But I don't think your setting is right for them based on your cabinet color. On my monitor, your cabinets are reading cream with a strong leaning toward yellow. Black counters are going to make the cabinets looks dingy. Black + white = crisp; black + cream = dull. Nothing "wrong" with a black + cream combo, but it just doesn't have the same wow factor as black + white. You may end up trading something that works well with your cabinets for a look that's just meh.

What you need is a countertop with some warmth that brings out the best in your cabinet color. Even better, leave well enough alone -- your current countertop looks good with the cabinets. Focus on better lighting and bringing in some other decorating elements.

• Design Fan
    3 months ago

Are you able to remove the old countertops without damaging the newer backsplash? If not, do you have extra tile or plans to change the backsplash?

• circonium
    3 months ago

I kind of like your granite with your cabinets. I would change your hardware.

Seconding Kendrah's comment re: the darkness of black counters. I have black soapstone in my kitchen. I really like the feel of it, but even with lots of windows and great lighting, it is dark. When we had ants invade the kitchen in the spring, I couldn't see the line of ants on the countertops (gross!). I'm not sure I'd do it again.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Clearly you want black honed countertops. Yes, your countertop is fine but you want it changed. I think your ivory/cream cabinets and black honed countertops will be very pretty. You may experience come of the black countertop challenges that others are warning you about, but if you love the image in your head, go for it.

BUT FIRST - spend the time to cover your current countertops with black fabric, poster board, something. Live with it and see if indeed the black surface will suck the light out of the room. Also, don’t buy hardware or the light fixtures yet.

Two suggestions: be at the stone yard when your countertop is templates and cut. You don’t want any mistakes. Check with your contractor that the new backsplash will not be harmed in this process.

Here are photos that are closer to the color of your cabinets.

• deegw
    3 months ago

Which black granite are you getting? Honed jet/Virginia mist reads as charcoal, which I'm not sure is a good match for your cabinet color based on your pictures. I do love them, I put them in my kitchen in 2007 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I don't think the OP is worried about ants, she'd probably NOT see any better on her speckly granite : )

"It took a few years to save up again and now I’m finally ready to rip out the countertops. I need something classic because this really has to be the end. I want a classic honed black granite. It’s affordable and won’t make my eyes crazy looking at it every day. So after all that, my question is:..........................."

Translation? Can I have what I clearly seem to want, and the answer is most certainly, yes.

She clearly has worked, waited, and saved to get a feeling in there that she likes. She's not ripping any part of any cabinetry for drawers? right? She already removed the dark shade, she can certainly have warm brass hardware. She can change the temperature on the lighting to a bit cooler and brighter,, and she can add color. There is nothing dingy about the cabinets and they seem very well cared for.: )Go for it and ENJOY it : )

You may have a bit of issue bottom of tile....we'll hope not, but? You did go out of standard pecking order for tiling a splash. Losing the chocolate shade was NO LOSS: ) at all.

Show the pendants you're using?

Special thanks to Red Ryder up there

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

I totally disagree that black and cream won't look good together. It too is a classic. There is no doubt about the color combo, just about whether you want that much black in your space. I also think your subway tile may feel whiter and your cabinets creamier without the current counters as a mediator. I don't think this is a problem, but just look at that when you do a mock up with black fabric or poster boards so you aren't surprised when counters go in.

Sorry you've had to wait this long to get what you want. Glad you've saved up for the change. Your kitchen is really beautiful.

• Kate Cowers
    3 months ago

I think black counters would look stunning. I'd suggest changing the blind over the sink to a lighter fabric or a print, maybe with a splash of color. And some color accent pieces (reds with black and white would look great).

• Emily
    3 months ago

This will give you an idea how the black countertops may look in your space. You can change your light bulbs to be more of a white light - maybe around 4000k which would help take some of the yellow tone out of the cabinet color.

• herbflavor
    3 months ago

seems a net neutral.....the opportunity would be if you want the darker , simpler, effect do that on the perimeter and pick something else for the island. The island is not attractive w the black but the perimeter is okay...neither great or bad.....you need to move on to the backsplash /island/ fixtures /lighting/ hardware etc to finish things off , if this is what you want. Quite a bit to do to get this to work.....Have you thought of leaving what you have on the perimeter and go for a great piece of soapstone for the island? Take necessary Time to exhaust all the options - start w what exists..... instead of ripping it all out for black everywhere. Keep thinking...I dont think you should do this.

• rebunky
    3 months ago

Yes, I think a honed or leathered black is timeless.

I am embarrassed to say how many photos I have saved on my ipad of creamy cabinets with soapstone countertops. It is one of my favorite kitchen combos! I like it even better then a “white” white cabinet with soapstone.

Anyways I tried to mock something up for you. There are several granites that mimic soapstone quite well in a softer black with subtle off white veining.

I know you are removing the dark brown curtain, but for the mockup I wanted to cover over it with something lighter. I also added a lighter more colorful runner.

One thing I think would really help brighten up the kitchen is to paint the ceiling a brighter creamy warm white. I might not have the perfect color for the ceiling, but hopefully you can tell the difference.

Before

After

I have “leathered” black countertops. They are bulletproof and show no oil or fingerprint stains. My granite I believe is called San Benedito and was fairly inexpensive. You could check out Virginia Mist and Negresco as well.

If you love the soapstone look, I say go for it!

• dani_m08
    3 months ago

You’ve been waiting and saving to make this change - so, I think that it makes sense to follow the suggestion made by several people re: covering your current countertops with something black to mimic the honed black granite.

The first question I had was whether your current countertops can be removed and new black ones installed without damaging your existing backsplash. Do you have extra tiles in case something happens? Maybe it’s a non issue - I don’t know how easy it is to remove and replace countertops after your backsplash has been installed.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

the black will suck out a lot of light. I'd remove that heavy, brown window blind and remove it completely, or replace w/something in a sheer.

4000K led bulbs are a must, as are undercabinet lighting if you want black.

I don't see the issue w/getting what you want. I can't understand people who tell others "there's nothing wrong with it" ergo, don't change it to what you want?? Silly.

It's my house, I'll get what I want to live with. thanks.

as for black granite. virginia mist will prob be the most affordable.

I love Sabrina's picture of the unoiled soapstone. now that's a classic. But this room is very bright w/very white cabinets.

Absolute Black granite (actually a Gabbro and not true granite) is so dense, you should NOT apply a sealer as it won't absorb and will just sit on top. The other thing w/AB is that it's rather expensive and somewhat rare to see stocked. a LOT of stone yards will accept a cheaper black granite that has been dyed and label it as AB. take a rag w/some acetone and wipe it across the surface for any slab labeled Absolute Black. If it's real, the rag will stay clean. if it's dyed, you'll see black on the rag and they're ripping you off.

it's very black.

Negresco is a nice option, i believe it's a quartzite

belevedere granite or even Copa Cabana have some nice slabs. there's a lot of variation. you could have one of these honed or leathered.

Argento/Jurassic Gray

Quartz. Silestone Eternal charcoal in the suede finish. (I have this brand in the gray) it's a similar look to soapstone, affordable, and very easy to take care of.

Nero Mist honed granite. This is prob how your kitchen would look w/the white tile.

• anna_682
    3 months ago

Another vote for soapstone. I have soapstone and honed marble countertops. I love both of them.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you SO much for all the advice, renderings and myriad of options! This community is so helpful.😃

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Virginia mist, (honed ) needs to be touched to tell the difference at a glance from soapstone.

There is a $$$$ issue here and that would be suited to a budget.

Spend $$$ on a new linear pendant, the electrician and a ceiling repair: )

A nice natural wood woven shade would look great at the window.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Do yourself (another) favor - take a cabinet door with you when you shop for the stone.

I didn’t mention Virginia Mist because it can look dark gray, not black/black and I think the darker black is what you want. If you’re open to soapstone ($$$) or Virginia mist, they are both gorgeous but make sure you like the color with the cabinet color. And everything looks different outside in sunshine than inside your house.

You deserve congratulations on reaching your goal. It doesn’t matter if others think your “kitchen looks fine”. I refaced a perfectly “beautiful” oak kitchen I hated - to the horror of many people. None of them live in my house so I did what I wanted. And I love it. You’ll love your dark countertops too.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments! I have honed absolute black granite on my fireplace surround in the adjacent room, so I thought it would tie it all together. I do have undercabinet lighting as well, so it won’t be as dark. I did see some Virginia Mist, but the slabs were not that attractive. I’m going to look at some more tomorrow. Thanks again!

• rebunky
    3 months ago

Take pictures of the slabs to show us! 😃

• rebunky
    3 months ago

Btw, do you have a second floor above the kitchen? If not, what about adding a skylight?

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

It’s an old ranch with an attic. I am leery of skylights, although they look beautiful!

• deegw
    3 months ago

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the Virginia mist slabs? They usually look pretty similar except for the occasional random large vein of white.

• dani_m08
    3 months ago

@Beth H. : Is your Silestone Eternal Gray used in your kitchen on the perimeter cabinets (I know that you have a beautiful slab of marble on your island)? Also, is it a suede finish?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, my kitchen reno was delayed (also has caused me to be absent from Houzz for awhile). I am finally able to re-focus on it + my powder room reno! I am going to post some slab options for my kitchen island + a floating stone sink/vanity for the powder room a little later today. I would LOVE your thoughts (anyone else who would like to offer thoughts is also appreciated).

@ecasta - sorry for posting this comment in your discussion thread - I’m not trying to hijack it - just excited to be able to FINALLY update my kitchen! Having to wait to has been difficult - I’m not very patient about stuff like this!

Thanks,

Dani

• ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Not a problem! I enjoy reading everyone’s comments.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

HI dani,,,yes, it's on the perimeter. yes it's the suede finish.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!