SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_227031627

Cost to install cabinets and appliances

HU-227031627
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Hi,

I just received a quote to install my European cabinets and appliances from an installer who is separate from the cabinet reseller but was selected by the cabinet reseller. I intend to purchase both my cabinets and appliances from the cabinet reseller. I am not purchasing my countertop or backsplash from the cabinet reseller. The cabinets and appliances are high-end ones.

I am swapping the dining room and kitchen at my house. So the new kitchen cabinets and appliances will not be replacing any old appliances, and the installer will not be carting away any old appliances.

All the preparation of the dining room to make it my new kitchen will be performed by my GC before the installer installs the new cabinets and appliances. So, all the rough electrical and plumbing will have already been installed before the installer arrives, along with new flooring, cutouts for the refrigerator and speed oven in the wall, and miscellaneous drywalling.

My kitchen cabinet reseller has already included a $2,500 delivery charge on his part of the bill. The installer wants to charge me around $12,000. The installer is located about 60-90 minutes away.

What do you think of this estimate?

Comments (45)

• lharpie
    3 months ago

Im thinking i should go into the cabinet installation business! sounds like what i paid for cabs including installation 7 years ago! i’d also consider a smaller sink as you don’t have a lot of prep space on island.

no idea what expected cost is for this now and it’s gonna vary a lot regionally.

HU-227031627 thanked lharpie
  • aziline
    3 months ago

Your kitchen can be installed in a day. I don't see how that can be $12k anywhere.

HU-227031627 thanked aziline
  • Related Discussions

Question about cabinet and appliance installation.

Q

Comments (11)
    We hung our wall cabinets first, then the base. It was easier to hang the wall cabinets without the bases in the way. In hindsight, I wish we had installed the hood while we were doing the top cabinets just because it would have made it easier. It was a tight fit. I actually ended up removing the cabinet next to it to make installation easier, then rehung the cabinet. I would NOT install the range though. It seems like if you install the cabinet-range-cabinet that there exists a possibility that it may be difficult to get the range back out at a later date. I'd leave the space as recommended by the range mfg and install the range later.
    ...See More

Installing Base Cabinets Before Appliances Arrive - Yay or Nay?

Q

Comments (1)
    Go online and print out the spec sheets on the appliances, this will give you all the dimentions you will need to make sure everything fits perfectly.
    ...See More

Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)

Q

Comments (25)
    We have just finished having Schrock cabinets installed this month. Have 20 cabinets with pullouts, super susans , light moulding, crown, and toe kick. Charge was $12,900,for cabinets. Installation with additional work around pipes was $3,000. I am on Long Island (near "The Hamptons"). Second estimate was very similar. The real surprise was, one man did the whole installation. Said he had been doing it 30 years and almost always did it without a helper. You can tell when someone is REALLY good at their job. Counter went in perfectly, we are very pleased.
    ...See More

Full overlay cabinets with flush install appliance/ pictures?

Q

Comments (2)
    If it's a Sharp MW drawer, it can't be mounted flush or you will have a problem seeing the "buttons" when the top is opened. BTW that is my Bosch integrated fridge installed with full overlay cabinets.I don't have a Miele oven but a single Bosch oven and here it is installed flush. Again cabinets are full overlay.
    ...See More
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The quote sounded high to me, which is why I asked the question here. What would be a fair price?

I looked up the online installation price charged by Abt Appliances (large appliance store in the Chicago-land area), and they would charge roughly $2k to install just the appliances (unless there is some volume discount--I added up the separate installation prices for each of the components). But that does not include cabinet installation.

I have no idea how long it takes to install kitchen cabinets and appliances or how many workers are involved.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 months ago

" i’d also consider a smaller sink as you don’t have a lot of prep space on island."

A 36" workstation sinks adds countertop space. Don't shrink your sink, please.

I don't know what's involved in installing these appliances and cabinets, so I can't say if his proposal is high or not. We're putting in a sink for half that soon. With all the installation disasters we see here, he may be worth every penny.

HU-227031627 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Cookie Montgomery
    3 months ago

I received a quote last week in the 'burbs of Philly for a similar install. The kitchen is to be cabinet ready and the install includes just installing the cabinets and the top and bottom moulding on the cabinets. It's 6 uppers, 1 wood hood, 7 lowers, 2 cabinet island in frameless from Plain & Fancy cabinets.

The price was $4,650. I received that quote directly from P&F as it's their recommended installers. The quote does not include setting appliances.

What about having your GC install your cabinets ?

HU-227031627 thanked Cookie Montgomery
  • foodonastump
    3 months ago

Unrelated to the install price, have you mocked something up to get an actual feel for what 36” between fridge and island feels like? If doors and drawer open 20”, that leaves 16” for you to stand. Not saying it’s not workable, but it’s a compromise that I hope you’ve felt and not just imagined. Something as simple as placing a chair 3’ away in the showroom.

As for the cabinets, sounds really high to me but they see what you’re buying (spending) and sadly that’s factored into the quote. There’s a little insurance in that scenario though, the appliance guy can’t say the cabinet guy screwed up, and the retailer can’t blame your choice of installer for any problems. What’s your GC saying? Can’t imagine them not wanting a piece of that action if they’re feeling qualified.

HU-227031627 thanked foodonastump
  • Sally T
    3 months ago

I am in Boston, and my high-end appliance place charged $1200 for install. My cabinet company included installation, but another company quoted $6000 for install.

HU-227031627 thanked Sally T
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you Joseph, there is much to be said about paying up for a quality install. I will be having lights, channels, and inserts installed in the cabinets now that I think of it, so perhaps the estimate is not that high--particularly if frameless and built-in appliances take longer to install as HU-11805425 describes. Will the world end if they drive up and install in 60 minutes and leave?(exaggerating here) No, I just don't want to be an easy rube.

Thank you Foodonastump for your concern about the spacing between the countertop and the refrigerator. I think the top-half, french door part will be fine. The bottom half is a pull-out freezer, and that has the potential to be annoying but will get less use. Hopefully, I can live with the choice. I have been mocking things up and testing already.

Thank you Sally T, Cookie, and HU-117805425 for your comments. The installer has good reviews on the internet and a nice gallery of photos on his website. Of course, you wouldn't expect him to post photos of crappy installs. But surprisingly, one patio stone installer that I was looking to hire had photos of shockingly horrible installations posted on his website (grout all over the limestone stone faces, terrible stone cuts, etc.). So go figure.

The cabinet reseller requires that they install, which is a joke because they do not actually install (as I am now finding out), but farm it out to a third party. So my GC is not permitted to install if I want to keep the cabinet warranty since he is not certified for their cabinets.

I intend to make some changes to the contract before signing and cutting a check. The contract currently states that cabinet reseller is not responsible for installer. Well, he picked him.

The contract also states that I will be charged storage fees for any merchandise stored in their warehouse over 60 days and cabinet reseller is charging me a $2,500 delivery fee. If the installer is the one hauling the appliances and cabinets to my house from the cabinet reseller's warehouse, I don't see how the cabinet reseller is entitled to a $2,500 delivery fee. And if the cabinet reseller is buying the cabinets from the big box appliance store (his appliance prices are exactly the same as this store), that store offers free delivery (at least to consumers), so I don't think he is passing along the delivery costs that he paid to me.

The cabinets will take 3 months to arrive. The appliances have a special warranty promotion, so they have to be ordered before year-end. So, I imagine that appliances will show up well before the cabinets do. I don't really want to store the appliances at my house for what could be months, but I also don't want to get gouged on storage fees by my cabinet reseller--something else to negotiate.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    3 months ago

The delivery fee is for the ship across the ocean. Not the trip across town. When you are choosing high end Euro cabinets actually from Europe, you have to factor in that transport cost. A shipping container used to be $2500 to travel across the ocean. Now, it's 10x that. That importing and handling the Customs and all the fees, plus the actual travel, is not a free service.

You cannot even begin to compare a smaller appliance store to a big box.

This all sounds like you want the big box price, but to end up with a high end kitchen. That does not happen. To play at the level that the desired result requires, you have to spend a lot on unseen extra services and skills. In addition to the rough materials costs.

HU-227031627 thanked DeWayne
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you DeWayne for the explanation about the freight shipping. My cabinet reseller only sells one particular line of cabinets. He does not sell appliances in his store. He is located in a high-end showroom in a large mart building dedicated to high-end showrooms and in years past open only to decorators. I am buying Gaggenau and Miele, so the price is the same everywhere. I am spending roughly $80k for cabinets and $40k for appliances for a small kitchen, so I am not going to be shedding any tears for him. The side panels for the refrigerator alone cost a shocking amount--more than the refrigerator-- but it is what I want. The big box appliance store that you dislike is actually an independent, single-store appliance store (Abt). Abt's showroom is over 100,000 square feet in size, so its not your average bear. Abt started as a mom and pop and competes just fine against the Best Buys of the world because they are smart and they provide an excellent selection as well as great customer service. They learned to survive in a tough business.

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Not sure what you mean by can't have it both ways. I'm just trying to see if I am being offered a fair installation price--that is, reasonable for the level of effort required. Since I cannot just hire my GC to install and have to use the installers they select if I want to use these cabinets, there is certainly a conflict of interest there and a reason to be concerned. Asking what others have paid, helps indicate what the going rate is and whether the cost to install is fair.

Since I have not signed the contract for the cabinet purchase yet, I can still decline to go ahead.

• Sally T
    3 months ago

@HU-227031627 - where are you located?

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Chicago area.

• wdccruise
    3 months ago

"I am buying Gaggenau and Miele, so the price is the same everywhere."

Note that Gaggenau, Thermador, and Bosch are all BSH brands. Some products are sold under several brand names and at different prices.

HU-227031627 thanked wdccruise
  • Theresa Peterson
    3 months ago

My kitchen cabinet reseller has already included a $2,500 delivery charge on his part of the bill. The installer wants to charge me around $12,000. The installer is located about 60-90 minutes away.

So the installer will pick up the cabinets and move them to your house. I suspect the $2500 fee has to do with wrapping them /preparing them for the move ... use of a truck he owns /won't let you use for free ... several men to move these big heavy items ... and insurance for the trip. If the truck wrecks and your cabinets burn in a blaze of fire on the interstation, somebody's gotta pay. You're not paying the installer anything for delivery. This $2500 doesn't seem like too bad a price.

The delivery distance is 60-90 minutes. That isn't far, but the real cost is owning the truck and having the men to load /unload ... if they had to move the things 5 miles, the real effort would still be in preparation /loading /unloading ... without injury to the cabinets.

It's the $12,000 that is shocking. Thinking it through:

- They'll be installing about 13 base cabinets and 8 upper cabinets. I'm assuming the ovens have a cabinet above and below and the refrigerator has a cabinet above. I could be off a bit on these numbers. Some of these cabinets include inserts.

- They'll be installing a built-in refrigerator, 2 ovens, a workstation sink, a dishwasher, a cooktop and hood. That's 7 appliances ... some of them a bit specialized.

- They're installing your lighting ... which is a very big item.

- They are not doing your countertops or your backsplash.

- So that's roughly 28 items + lighting they must install. Let's assume that lighting is 10% of the total bill /no idea if I'm guessing right or not ... that means the other items average $385 each for installation. That sounds about right for a specialized refrigerator, but it sounds high for base cabinets or a dishwasher.

The big question: Is this the only quote you have? If so, you absolutely should get at least two more. If they all come in this high, it's what the market demands. If one is quite low, question what they're leaving out.

And if the cabinet reseller is buying the cabinets from the big box appliance store (his appliance prices are exactly the same as this store), that store offers free delivery (at least to consumers), so I don't think he is passing along the delivery costs that he paid to me.

If the same cabinets can be purchased elsewhere, why are you buying them from the reseller? I think I'm missing something.
    This all sounds like you want the big box price, but to end up with a high end kitchen. That does not happen.

Yeah, we all want something nice for a bargain price -- Pinterest level kitchens don't happen for Home Depot prices. If you want all these high-end things, you must pay the extra prices that come with them.

• PRO
    Ouroboros Design
    3 months ago

You are trying to self GC and self design a 250K-300K project. This needs a much more experienced GC and designer. Having a seller of cabinets do a kitchen layout is not the equivalent of having a kitchen designer be responsible for all of the details of everything. Or having an experienced urban GC coordinating with the designer. Labor is a huge part of a kitchen remodel cost. Urban areas with difficult access can pay double what someone in the suburbs will pay.

HU-227031627 thanked Ouroboros Design
  • bry911
    3 months ago

This issue seems related to your previous thread where you noted that the cabinet seller required you to use their installer but also refused to take responsibility for the quality of the installation. You were also concerned with the non-disparagement clause and a few other issues with the contract. It seems to me that there are several significant concerns with this project,

However, you noted that you have already paid a significant non-refundable deposit. So it seems to me that you put the saddle on this horse, climbed on its back, and kicked it in the ribs already. It may be a bit late to wonder if you should ride it.

We can't give you any real assurances on the value provided by this company. They are certainly using a premium pricing strategy, but that works regardless of the quality. There are two possible scenarios here, this company has a poor contract because they don't need the protection of a great contract given the excellent quality of work they do. Or this company does middling to poor work and uses the contract to indemnify themselves from any meaningful recovery. Given the non-disparagement clause it is too likely to be the latter for my comfort.

So, exactly how much was the design deposit? If we say that the installation is double what it should be would you cancel the order and lose the design deposit? It seems unlikely that you are going to walk away from the contract because of an installation premium when you haven't walked away given all the other concerns.

The shipping may or may not be a legitimate charge. If you are getting the European price, then it seems reasonable that shipping will be added to it. However, if you are already paying a premium for imported cabinets that premium exists to cover the cost of importing the cabinets.

HU-227031627 thanked bry911
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Theresa, thank you for doing the math and your very kind response. My cabinet reseller only carries one line of cabinets and he is getting the cabinets directly from the cabinet manufacturer--like a car dealer that carries only 1 brand of car. He is the only distributor of this brand of cabinet in the US (has several locations around the US). The installer is a separate firm from the cabinet reseller. The installer is certified in installing this particular brand of cabinet. No certification, no warranty coverage.

wdccruise, thank you for pointing out ways to save. I've haunted the showrooms and opened the doors to too many refrigerators over the years. There are subtle (and some rather larger) differences between the models. Gag ovens look very different from any others. I want that look. Call me shallow, but I also believe they are good quality. The Gag refrigerator has the most durable internal compartments of any frig that I have looked at (important thing to me). The Gag cooktop can be installed flush, while I don't belive the Thermador model can. Some aren't willing to pay for those differences or don't care about them. I consider this my one and only remodel, and I'm going to get exactly what I want without going crazy. Gag also has a warrantly promotion to suck you into buying 5 appliances, so I am getting a Gag ventilation unit so I can get the promotion. I passed on the Gag DW because I didn't like it as much as Miele.

bry911, I paid $5,000 for a design deposit that can be credited to a cabinet purchase. I would not like to lose that money. What I also dislike about walking away is losing all the many months of time that have been spent finetuning this project and starting over. Also, there simply are not many other firms building the particular type of cabinets that I am purchasing. And those few firms have their own different small characteristics. I would like for this to work. I am just trying to do my due diligence to the best that I can. So me walking away is not just walking to the showroom next door, because that showroom, and the one next to that, and the one next to that, and the one next to that doesn't have what I want. Unicorns can be scary beasts. And who is to say that the next showroom doesn't have its own different set of problems or contract concerns. And yes, I agree with you that the import shipping charge should have been rolled into the cost of the individual cabinets. So I will ask them about it.

Folks here do not trust the cabinet seller designer to do the design. I have a hard time trusting anyone, so the standard advice to hire an outside designer is not going to be a good idea for me. I will just be triple-checking all their suggestions. I care about every detail, and I don't think there is a designer out there who is going to put one 10th of the effort into my project that I will no matter what I pay them. If I am still finding all the materials, making all of the choices, and having to educate them on cutting edge innovations, I am not going to be happy paying a designer $20k or whatever for doing very little and often just getting in my way. I read the experts here all the time who insert their likes and dislikes into a project. Those likes and dislikes always creep into a project no matter how hard a designer tries to be neutral, and those dislikes can lead you to question your own judgments of what you like and want. Finding someone who likes exactly everything I like is most likely impossible and finding them would be more effort than actually obsessing over the project myself. I don't want the same cookie-cutter kitchen that I see here constantly. Yes, a designer has expertise that can be very helpful. Yes, they can have great value that is worth paying for. But I'm just not one of those folks who can kick back and just let them roll. Both of us would not be happy.

• bry911
    3 months ago

@HU-227031627 - I think you are missing my point. My point is that even if the installation fee is high, it doesn't necessarily make sense to walk away from it.

Let's suppose that you establish beyond any reasonable doubt that the installation fee is 40% more than what it should be... which would mean you are overpaying by $4,800. Would you walk away from a $5,000 deposit to save $4,800 on the installation fee even if you could get these exact same cabinets down the road for the same price? I hope the answer is no.

----

My other point being, you seem to be having a lot of concerns over this purchase. I once got some sage advice from an old man at a football game who was disappointed our team lost but happy he bet against them... Never let your heart hold your wallet. I suspect that you really want this to be great purchase but are concerned it will not be. The only way you are going to get more help is by providing more information, such as the manufacturer of the cabinets.

HU-227031627 thanked bry911
  • rebunky
    3 months ago

Sorry I am no help on the install cost, but if it is not too late, I do have one suggestion on the design.

On the island, what about flipping the DW to the other side of the sink. It looks like the cabinet on the right could flip to the other side since it looks to be a 24” like the DW.

One reason is that all the cabinets for dish storage is on the right side, so it puts the dw a little closer to storage.

But the main reason is that flipping the dw puts it outside of the main working zone or triangle going from fridge to sink to stove or steam oven and back. The work triangle is mostly all to the left, beside the regular oven. That way if a second person wanted to help load or unload dishes while someone is prepping/cooking, they will not have the dw door opening right in the middle of the prep/cook zone.

Hope it all works out. It sound like this is your dream kitchen and far into the process. So at this point I think you don’t have any other option then to pay their price for the install. Even though it sounds like the installers bid very high because they know you have to use them for this certain cabinet line. The dealer might also be getting a slice of the pie for always recommending this certain installer as their first choice?

HU-227031627 thanked rebunky
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

bry911, you are very smart and give good advice.

Bauformat.

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you for the suggestion rebunky. You may be right about the arrangement.

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

HU-815904005, thank you for your help. I want to purchase their cabinets that have a stone veneer face (not Dekton). So it is more than just the frameless construction. Your rare Amazonian rain forest wood comment is very clever.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

You are nickel and dimming the situation. (I totally do it too and I get it!) You are deciding to use high-end everything and it is expensive because you can't just have a dude from Lowe's do a cabinet install and call it a day.

The installation fee is 10% of what you are paying. That is not unreasonable. I used to live in Chicago. Traffic sucks. You are a distance away. You need to make sure this person is absolutely willing to slog through that traffic again if they need to come back a second or third time to get the job right. It is not unusual for something to be a little off.

You are in a high end market in a costly city. You are not ordering common cabinetry nor waltzing into Abt (great store) and selecting and ordering appliances and having their guys deliver. This involves coordination, which is time, which is money.

It makes sense to me that the cabinet company requires you use someone who has experience with this particular line of cabinets. And the person is an indie contractor so the vendor is not going to be responsible for the install. You need to make sure you have a very good contract with the installer before signing, know what their insurance is, and know what the recourse is if he screws up.

Most installs are not done solo. You have at least two guys if not more involved. Labor is really hard to get these days and quite expensive. (In my old home it took four guys three hours to get a Subzero off the truck, into my house, and installed.) My cabinet installs have taken at least two days and I do not have large kitchens at all. There is a lot of on site tinkering, scribing, that has been involved in my installs. Do you have stairs, a level entryway, a straight shot to the kitchen, have you measured all of the opening to see how appliances and cabinets will fit through?

HU-227031627 thanked Kendrah
  • wdccruise
    3 months ago

In CR's testing the Bosch Benchmark SHV9PCM3N ($1618) was top-rated and performed better than every Miele dishwasher tested. No dishwasher -- Miele G7591SCVI ($2950) -- is worth nearly $3000.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

I have fond memories of going to a fancy Miele showroom in Princeton. They had wine glasses on display on the counter. My husband tried loading them into the dishwasher and broke them because they didn't fit. We tried apologizing, tough my husband commented that perhaps the dishwasher didn't have a very sizable interior. For some reason the way he said it sent me into a laughing fit, which I tried to stifle, but garnered sideways glances from the staff. We promptly left and went with Bosch instead. I love Bosch dishwashers. They hold so much!

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

wdccruise, we view things differently and value different things--handleless, knock to open, slab front. Both dishwashers are going to work fine. I've had a Bosch before, and I apparently don't understand the cult following. There are hundreds of car models sold in the US, because people like different things for whatever reason. Their money, their choice.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

It is possible that because your post concerns cost, wdccruise may have been pointing out other simple ways to reduce the tab. I do think there is a tendency for people to shell out higher costs for products with no hesitation yet question costs when it comes to paying someone for labor. I wonder too if the installer charges a lot of money because they see you can afford $80k of cabinetry for a small kitchen. I know I would. Also, thinking of your kitchen being small, it can sometimes take longer to install fewer cabinets in a small space than to install lots in a bigger space. Small spaces are hard to navigate with cabinetry and two people. So are appliances.

HU-227031627 thanked Kendrah
  • foodonastump
    3 months ago

Now that the mfr has been named a lot more makes sense, from the costs to the concerns. Looks like their CA operafion is shut down, with past complaints of a dealer who washed his hands of everyrhing once there were problems with install done by the team rhat buyers were forced to use. Hopefully the Chi team is more reputable.

• chicagoans
    3 months ago

@HU-227031627 "I want to purchase their cabinets that have a stone veneer face" This may well be what is driving up the install cost. Is it possible that the stone veneer requires more finesse than typical cabinets, and perhaps more skilled or differently trained installers? I'm also in Chicago and just finished a remodel with custom cabinets. The cabinet company I used has someone whose whole job is to come after install and adjust all the cabinets and do minor touch ups to make sure everything is just right. He was back here a few times to adjust, take back, and redo a broom pullout that requires heavy duty tracks. You may want to check your contract to make sure that it includes return trips for any adjustments needed.

I hope you post pictures during and after your remodel because the cabinets sound very cool! (I also went to the Merchandise Mart and Abt at the beginning of my remodel - great places for kitchen eye candy!)

HU-227031627 thanked chicagoans
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

chicagoans, thank you!

And thank you to all for your advice! Truly helps.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    3 months ago

It looks like you are paying up for the specialization required to be a certified installer of these cabinets. As a cabinet dealer, I have had my product hacked up by incompetent installers that did not understand how to interpret the plans (and didn't bother to ask). It seems that this dealer has found a qualified team and requires only them to install. And they can now charge a premium for their service. The good news for you is that this dealer obviously trusts that this installer will make their product look as close to perfect as possible.

I also agree that your delivery fee likely includes packaging of the product and the careful loading onto the truck.

I care about every detail, and I don't think there is a designer out there who is going to put one 10th of the effort into my project that I will no matter what I pay them.

Perhaps this is true, but what you do not have is likely 1/10th of the knowledge, education and experience that a qualified designer can bring to your project. The you-don't-know-what-you-don't-know might present itself as the project progresses. But given the exclusive nature of the dealer, I suspect they did their part to help you design your space so that at least the cabinets look as good as they should.

And yes, Abt is an incredible retailer. I have ordered from them for years. And Gaggenau has a pretty incredible induction cooktop.

HU-227031627 thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you Kristin. Your comments have helped make me feel much better about the situation. And I agree with the wisdom behind your "you don't know what you don't know" comment.

• Mrs Pete
    3 months ago

... the cabinet seller required you to use their installer but also refused to take responsibility for the quality of the installation ...

Yeah, I also have a problem with "You must use my services (or, in this case, my partner installer), but I will not take responsibility for the finished product."

Folks here do not trust the cabinet seller designer to do the design. I have a hard time trusting anyone

I don't automatically trust, but I do trust when someone explains the ins-and-outs, and I can see the reasoning.

Never let your heart hold your wallet.

How'd I go my whole life without hearing that phrase? I sure do live by it.

You are not buying a rare Amazonian rain forest wood carved by 16 year old virgin left handed nuns.

Snickering. That was fun.

I want to purchase their cabinets that have a stone veneer face (not Dekton). So it is more than just the frameless construction.

Okay, I'm going to ask the question. The question every seller rejects. What about re-sale? How sure are you that you're STAYING in this house? If what I googled is the right thing, these cabinets are a very taste-specific product, and -- if you sell this house -- they may actually be a negative. Even if the buyer likes them, they won't be willing to pay more for them. So, HOW SURE are you that this is your forever house?

You are nickel and dimming the situation.

Hey, I work for every nickle and dime. I want to be sure I spend those little suckers well.

I've had a Bosch before, and I apparently don't understand the cult following.

Me neither. I've had one for a year now, and if I could claw it out and throw it into next week's garbage without reprecussions, I would.

HU-227031627 thanked Mrs Pete
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

You are a very fun person Mrs. Pete! I like you!

I'm here until I die and then I will pass the house down to my kids. Beachfront property.

Heck, my own husband will probably hate the cabinets (he likes light colors). I've been haunting the showroom for awhile, and they actually have this design on display--have for over a year, and the cabinets have held up to the tire kickers. What happens if they discontinue the model and there is a problem down the road? They have a replace cabinets to make the kitchen look consistent provision in warranty, but yes that concerns me. What happens if frig blows and new frig has different size panels? At this point, that it is a Thursday has me concerned. I had a very bad experience in the past with a condo (developer built a beautiful looking but crappy built building) that has made me very cautious.

FYI to anyone buying a condo. Be sure that your inspector inspects the actual roof of the condo building itself--not just your unit. Have them also check out the building's facade. A million+ in repairs for a small condo building (26 units) suggests that it is a very good idea.

• Caroline Hamilton
    3 months ago

We paid roughly $12,000 for cabinet and appliance install 9 years ago, so your prices do not seem out of line.

HU-227031627 thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • foodonastump
    3 months ago

What happens if frig blows and new frig has different size panels?

That’s the good thing (?) about spending a lot on a fridge, you’ll feel better about spending a lot to keep it alive. I’ve got a pair of 601 SZ’s that I’ve spent more on to keep running than many people spend on a new fridge. Why? Because replacement is expensive AND it would require cabinet modifications. I’m fairly convinced the reason people say they last so long is because it’s less painful to repair than replace. But I could be wrong.

Echoing others’ requests to keep us in the loop, esp with pictures of the finished result. Good luck!

• HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you foodonastump for the good wishes, and thank you Caroline for sharing the details of your installation. You are all very kind.

• dani_m08
    3 months ago

I have a Q for you:

Did you take @bry911’s suggestion re: sending an email to cabinet reseller with your specific questions/concerns brought up in this post + your prior post re: cabinet contract + your post from back in July re: design contract?

I’ve read quite a few comments made by bry911 over the past few years that I’ve been on Houzz - and the comments always provide correct information with respect to legal matters (I am also an attorney). There is a reason that bry911 made the suggestion to ask questions (“What happens if . . . )

For example, what happens if the cabinets do not function correctly in the space (e.g., incorrect measurements)? You paid $ when you signed a design contract - which would be consideration for design work produced by reseller. Typically, a designer would actually visit the space and take measurements. Based upon your posts, that did not occur - measurements were provided to reseller (old house plans provided - and maybe measurements by your GC?)

Another question is how is a warranty claim handled? Typically, the customer would deal with the reseller - and the reseller would deal directly with the manufacturer. Your cabinet contract provides that the reseller has no liability for claims related to shade and/or color of products - but I believe you posted that the manufacturer’s warranty has language covering that issue.

If you were my client, I would be uncomfortable with the design contract (signed) and the cabinet contract (unsigned). The inclusion of unenforceable/illegal provisions in the two contracts causes me concern. As has already been pointed out, sometimes these types of provisions are included simply because someone grabbed language from the Internet without understanding that the language is unenforceable and/or illegal. However, many times they are purposely included with the intent of misleading a customer re: his/her/their rights and/or the seller’s obligations.

I hope all of the above makes sense - I haven’t slept the past two nights - my brain isn’t fully functioning 😂

HU-227031627 thanked dani_m08
  • HU-227031627
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you Dani. I agree with you about bry911 being a wonderful resource. To clarify, I have emailed my cabinet reseller with questions about what happens if there is an issue and questioning the delivery charge (among other questions). The reseller will deliver the cabinets to my house when the installation happens so that their representative can inspect the cabinets prior to installation and make sure all the parts are there. I will be photographing (what did we do before cell phones?) and inspecting as well.

The installer has insurance and appears to have a good reputation (20 years in business, good Yelp reviews, nice portfolio of installations on installer's website). I have not received a copy of the contract from the installer yet. Can't wait to deal with that (big sigh).

I will be meeting in person with the cabinet reseller prior to signing anything. There is also a provision in the contract that states it is the entire agreement, so I will make sure the warranty and floor plans are attached to that. I will ask to have the binding arbitration struck. I will let them know about the clause and FTC issue.

There will be moving pieces in this for sure that need to happen in the right order. Cabinets take 3 months to ship. Appliances need to be ordered by year-end to receive warranty promotion. GC needs to have everything ready in advance of install--flooring, rough electrical, rough plumbing, drywall. Cabinet installers will need to install cabinets and most appliances. Countertop people will need to install countertops (not buying these through GC, installer, or cabinet reseller), so another moving piece to worry about. Installer will need to install cooktop.

I haven't picked out countertop, flooring, or back splash yet. Back splash will probably be the same as countertop. I'm picky, so I will need to drive to Elk Grove Village (for you Chicago folks on here) and check out the places there because the local fabricators by me are pretty limited in selection. I will be going with granite.

Thank you again for your kindness and help.

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

If you have beach front property in or around Chicago, this could also explain the cost. I lived on a fairly well known and high end street in a different city and contractors always jacked up prices figuring anyone who could afford a house on my street should pay more. And, I mostly agree. As soon as someone asked my address the $$$ increased. However, I presume anyone spending $120k is living in an upscale neighborhood too.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 months ago

I don't think anyone has mentioned liability here on this post. Let me pose a question: Should it cost the SAME $ to install 10 J&K Chinese Cabinets vs. a high end custom line? If you said yes, I don't agree. For carpenters, there has to be a 'handling surcharge' for such pricey cabinets. One goof and there goes your paycheck. These guys need to make $ to pay their mortgage and put food on the table. Installing high end cabinet has a risk. If it was all the same, why would they even want to take a chance on installing your high end cabinets....when they can make the same installing low end IKEA or J&K?

The same goes for painted white cabinets. My installers charge a surcharge for any job that is painted white vs a stain. Why? Everything shows on paint. Flaws, replacements, reorders slow them down, require extra trips, homeowners have high expectations and paint is not very forgiving and white moldings take more time (caulking...etc).

• TBL from CT
    2 months ago

"I'm going to get exactly what I want without going crazy"

Oh, dear OP, I wish you all the miracles of the season from all faiths.

Please keep posting as things progress. I'm rooting for a perfectly satisfying project. I think you can politely ask the cabinet reseller to explain the perceived high pricing and question some of the contract language. There's a difference in being inquisitive versus accusatory and you sound reasonable enough to know how to nicely raise your concerns. It's a lot of money, regardless of your resources. You need to be comfortable with the agreement and fees. The best news I read here is that the installer had great reviews.

• HU-675849
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

TBL, wow, it is so wonderful to read your encouraging comments! Truly! Thank you.