SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fig_insanity

PSA: Palatine's "silent (but deadly) launch", Dec 2023

fig_insanity Z7b E TN
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

Don't ask me why I still read Palatine's newsletter, since I have no intention of ever ordering from them again. Just attribute it to my not-so-mild OCD tendencies.

But in any case, there will be no announcement when they start taking orders. It will be "in December", with the following caveats:

• We value our sleep. The launch will be during daylight hours for all three time zones.
  • Weekends are precious to us, too; the launch will not occur on weekends.
  • We cherish our family time during the holiday season; it won't be close to Christmas or December 1.

You'll just have to keep checking weekdays between Dec 1 and Dec 23-ish. Good luck to those who will be ordering.

I assume the first one to find out will post the news here on the forum (after you've safely placed your own order, of course, lol).

You're welcome.

Comments (436)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago

I was thinking about Palatine and they are actually really smart. One and done. Just a couple of days of crazy and then their selling of bare roots is done. That’s the way I would do it. Then you can get back to growing and propogating..

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Rose Rhapsody is a very good rose, so I don't blame you. Huge doesn't cover the size of the blooms. Larger than even Elina and Neptune in the spring. Perhaps similar bloom width to those two, but it is way fuller and gives a more 3D impression of the bloom form. Although the other two are more refined in their optimal form.

• Diane Brakefield
    4 months ago

They aren't one and done. They sell roses in pots from their store. For months in spring. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

I did a similar experiment to Ben's with Sunset Celebration back in 2003. Sunset Celebration is a rose that does very well for me, and a favorite. So I bought one each from Pickering (multiflora), Edmunds (Huey), and Roses Unlimited (own root). All did equally well for me.

Pink, you're gonna love Rose Rhapsody... definitely one to grab if you can :-D

4 months ago

Susan, I love Sunset Celebration. I used to get more compliments on that rose than any other.

I know that Palatine sells potted roses but those arent mail order right! They arent like the sellers like say, Heirl Heirloom and High Country that sell and ship year round

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

You're right, Kristine. :) :)

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Sunset Celebration has been a staple for me since its year of introduction. It's not perfect, but it checks all the boxes.

I have Cloud Nine, as well, which is like a coral pink version of it, albeit slightly taller. Fragrance is a bit strong, form has a bit more substance, and the fade has the similar effect. I think its superior to Heavenly Scented, and on par with We Salute You.

I really like Aromatherapy, but cannot recommend it to people, because sometimes it has full-sized, amazing HT blooms, and sometimes it has huge clusters of semi-double blooms. It's weird that way, and weather doesn't seem to matter as to why. Only spring blooms were HT-like this year.

It is looking like Perfume Factory may fill this niche of very sniffery, cuttable garden HTs. 2 years and performance has shown like it is consistent for this niche.

Free Heirlooms coupon to anyone that can use it. I am not sure if it only works with my account or if it works with only one, but anyone is free to have it, as I am not using it. Also, don't blame the messenger if it doesn't work:

Use Code:

KVD-6NDNMDQ4

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Jadae, I got Cloud Nine back in 2005 from Pickering, and it was always one of my favorites. Alas, I lost it a few years ago. But it's one I wouldn't mind replacing! Sunset Celebration is such a great rose here that my local nursery (that kind of specializes in roses) has offered it every year since its introduction. Are you in California?

• Denyse Russell 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Was someone here looking for Augusta Louise on Palatine before a group got removed? I just noticed that Garden Roses LLC has it as a 5”quart

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

@Denyse Russel, thanks

I believe a few people have ordered AL from GR llc. I ordered AL with a few other roses. Waiting for them to come in spring.

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Susan, Oregon.

AL, like other roses bred from the Kordes line of modern colored rugosas, tends to BS pretty badly here. Sunny Sky is clean but its truly a very boring rose. Crazy Love is like a tall hollyhock with flori-sized blooms. Like Strike It Rich, it just has horrid architecture on an otherwise fine rose. I prefer Garden Delight. It has the romance of the form, great health, and stays in its lane. I have no experience with Tupelo Honey, so I cannot comment, but the photos make it look lanky. There are a few Jalbert roses bred from Caramel Fairy Tale that may be as good as Garden Delight as a plant, but I have not seen any in person yet. I group all of these roses together as a concept, because they are the direct product of merging the Rugosa and Cläre Grammerstorf lines into modern bush roses.

Garden Delight has been an amazing rose for me. Meteor, which I am guessing is bred from it (unsure if Westzeit or Ursala is the other parent), might be good too. I am guessing these concept of rugosa-infused garden roses will be more and more garden friendly every few years.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Anyone care to compare Sunset Celebration to Tahitian Sunset? I had chosen Tahitian Sunset for the stronger fragrance and have been totally happy with it, very floriferous , dependable and strongly fragrant. But I’ve never tried Sunset Celebration, which I believe is a bigger more grand bloom. There is also the latest Fryer apricot to make our shores, Beautiful Day, I grew that in Texas and was very impressed. Huge apricot blooms , very reliable, nice plant.

Tahitian Sunset

Beautiful Day

• Jadae
    4 months ago

SC is an apricot to salmon-apricot, with a slight russet burnish in strange weather. It is sweet, strong, and fruity, and pin-centered. TS is more of an actual blend, apricot going bronzed pink-reds. Very different foliage, as well, and the bloom architecture is a bit more open. I think they are both good roses but verging to different color pallettes from the same primary color pallette.

Beautiful Day did not inspire me. Too much of a synthetic feel, but mileage may differ to other perceivers. I get that same feeling from Petite KO and Forever Yours.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 months ago

I love Tahitian Sunset - am getting another next spring. I have a friend with Tupelo Honey and it is like a small tree. He hasnt pruned it much, and it is a giant that blooms alot. I like blooms of Golden Fairytale better but his TH is an impressive shrub. Was so thrilled to have just ordered 3 Belle Story from Garden Roses LLC along with a previous order. I lost 3 in "Snowmageddon" several years ago. For apricot lovers, I adore Apricot Candy - have 2 of them - excellent plants and the blooms are gorgeous.

Judith

4 months ago

I grew Sunset Celebration at my other house. It was planted near a sidewalk and walkers always stopped for a sniff. Mine stayed short, maybe 3 ft with nice big blooms that were a pure apricot color. I guess that it is time to get another one.

4 months ago

Thanks everyone for the comments on the apricot varieties.

Jadae

I must say I value Beautiful Day and Forever Yours for their sturdy blooms that hold up so well in my hot weather. They may not be delicate but I think they are still beautiful. But I would rate both the flower and scent of Petite KnockOut a ZERO, and those are my only two primary reasons for growing a rose.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    4 months ago

I had Sunset Celebration and Tahitian Sunset. Sunset Celebration’s blooms were very pretty, but the bush didn't seem to thrive, sp’d. Tahitian Sunset was huge, tall, and lots of long stemmed unique blooms. One harsh winter hit it hard and after giving it a few years, I sp’d it.

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Ben, that is likely due to your climate, where some roses look nothing like they do in both temperate and cold norther states. That's one of the problems with many of the main growers testing only in AZ/TX/CA. But with excess substance, they tend to test well in High UV/Higher Elevation places because those places tend to bleach everything they touch. In the Pac NW, we will see colors in the fall the rest of the US never see, because the conditions express optimal color in roses during those few weeks.

For example, with Weeks, I know the likelihood of a new rose having downy here is low. But with Kordes, CR, or Star, it is a dice roll. For those that never get the lovely thrill of full blown downy, it is grotesque, and its quite sudden.

• Denyse Russell 8B PNW
    4 months ago

I have just moved to the PNW from Oceanside CA 2 miles from the coast. We had ocean fog all spring and early summer and nearly all new growth would have pm! A new rose plant would be defoliated 3 times by July. I have been pleasantly surprised by weather here. It didn’t strike until late fall. And only a handful succumbed. I would spray with milk water to combat it.

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Hi, Denyse,

Downy and Powdery are wholly unrelated organisms. Also, downy hates salts, and as such, salty air. As well as arid air. As you know, most people in the PNW radiate around I-5 and the mountain/valley systems.

Powdery is nearly non-existent here. Downy, on the other hand, is yearly.

When I was a teenager, I never understood why the rosarians raved about Playboy here. I wasn't into singles back then. Now, it is quite obvious. It's impervious to downy. Perfect for spring exhibition if its an overcast spring...

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Ben - I love your Beautiful Day bloom...I've never heard of that rose. :)

4 months ago

Carol

Beautiful Day is beautiful indeed, like a modern version of Medalllion. Alas , not much in the scent department.

Judith

Wasn’t that Texas polar vortex the worst? Everything about the state was so unprepared for it, as were our roses. It killed all my grass too, which turned the desparate bunnies into ravenous rose eating machines..

Jadae,

I think I recognize you as M.G. aka 1 from HMF, am I right? I enjoy your posts and am glad you decided to post here as well.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 months ago

I had never seen such weather! Nearly 5 days without power - huddling by the fireplace burning wood but have cathedral ceilings and it didnt heat that well - turning truck or car on to warm up during daytime - I had to feed 35 horses in the snow - my barn help couldnt get here - and haul wood.......It was something else and wondering what plants would be left alive.........hope never to see that again!! Surprised most of roses made it as did the daylilies - grass survived too. The weeds, as expected, flourished as did the flies and other insects - never made a dent in those!

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Yeah, that's me, but I don't use my name except on that database. I like privacy.

Houzz really isn't my thing, but I'm going through a heart thing right now, it's the middle of winter, and so I can't just go do things I'd like to be doing right now.

Sincerely, I miss Rosarian's Corner. It had everything we needed for rose gossip. I heard some people use FB, but I won't touch stalkerbook with a 10' pole lol.

• erasmus_gw
    4 months ago

I thought that was you too, Jadae. I saw something you posted on hmf that you had commented on here. Your pictures and comments are appreciated!

Do you have any pics of downy mildew?

• Jadae
    4 months ago

Unfortunately, I lost about 2K photos in 2020 when I was using Sony Vegas and Adobe Photoshop. Fried my PC to heck and back. So I don't have such photos. Maybe I will remember next spring.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Speaking of Sunset Celebration, this past spring I got a sport bloom on it (pic below). I've gown this rose (often in multiples) since ~1998, and this has never happened before. Go figure...

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Susan - that bloom is so unique!!! Not the usual colors you'd see together in one bloom. :) Did that cane continue to create blooms like this or was it more weather related?

• Jadae
    4 months ago

What in the Fukushima :D

Ah, that is interesting. Sometimes sports tell us things about a rose's previously unseen genetics. I have always assumed that the unknown 1/4 of SC is either Lakeland itself or a hybrid of it. And Cheshire Life itself has a lot of orange-red, dark pink, and damask red ancestors.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Carol, no it was a one time occurrence... I've kept my eyes peeled on it ever after. The pic was May 17, 2023. I have no recollection of the weather at the time, but by mid-May, we're well into first flush or beyond. And our weather is generally extremely mild.

Jadae, yes indeed on the sport showing something in the ancestry.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Susan - wonder if it'll occur again this coming spring.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    4 months ago

I've seen it once on Young Lycidas last year, but it didn't do it again this year.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Feiy - oh my!! That's gorgeous!!

last month

Anyone else receive their Palatine roses? Mine just came in this evening!

Roots are gargantuan. Elon has inspected them and grades them as #1. From left: Amour de Molene, Crazy Fashoin, Gruard Larose

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    last month

Got mine in this evening too! Great, gargantuan roots like yours Ben! Will have to take a pic of them laid out tomorrow. Excited to see everyone else get theirs in soon too!

Hi Elon!

Soaking roses: Amour de Molene, Buxom Beauty, Carmen Wurth, Crazy Fashion, Flora Colonia, Gruaud Larose, Rosemantic Cream, and Rosemantic Pink

I told myself i would only order five yet here we are…😂🤩

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

Hi Elon!

• rosecanadian
    last month

Hi Elon, you cutie!!

Those roses look great, Ben and Sunny!!

last month
    last modified: last month

Sunny

How thoughtful of you to provide squeaky toys to entertain your rosebushes while they soak! I’d choose the mermaid

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    last month

Great looking bareroots!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

huge roots!

last month

Palatine sends the best looking roots. So glad that I opted for the end of the month since it snowed last night with lots more expected.

So exciting when to deliveries start arriving. I wish that I had room for Amour De Mouline

• rosecanadian
    last month

Ben - lol :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last month

BenT, I think your dog is afraid of those big prickly monsters in front of him! :)

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    last month

Bent, I did a double take when I saw Elon. Here’s Darby.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last month

Ahhh, now, both those dogs are real cuties! :)

• rosecanadian
    last month

Sylvia - Darby has wonderful markings! :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    last month

I got my order from palentine ! so excited and like others the roots are enormous .

i wonder though , would it be appropriate to ask for a refund on my second shipping cost ? i placed two orders and happily paid both shipping fees but they mailed in one box .its a little over $30. the money is long gone but i wonder if anyone else would ask . thats a whole other rose cost ! :)

last month

I would sure try

• mmmm12COzone5
    last month

Lilyfinch, no harm in asking for an adjustment if the cost to ship them on a single order is cheaper. Maybe check by recreating the order as a single and see what the cost would have been.

• rosecanadian
    last month

Jen, I'm excited for you that you got your roses!! Which ones did you get?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!